• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villages between Bayonne and SJPP - Voie de la Nive

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Does anyone know the towns and villages between Bayonne and SJPP which I passed through when train not going.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I looked this up recently and asked the same question a few weeks ago Mick. The map I have shows the following: Bayonne, Ustaritz, Cambo, Halette, SJPDP. Apparently there are some alternative routes. This route I think is 50 km. Iā€™ll double check and post again. Iā€™m told itā€™s a three day walk. I plan to do it in late June, I think.

That walking route is the Voie de la Nive. šŸ˜Ž When the train is not running from Bayonne to SJPP - it is often train from Bayonne to Cambo Les Bains, then bus from there to SJPP.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Here we go, more detail: Bayonne-Ustaritz 14.5 km; Ustaritz-Cambo 7.5 km; Cambo-Halette 20 km; Halette-stJean 27 km. Thatā€™s 69 km. The map and text I have is in French so Iā€™m not 100% sure if Iā€™m reading it correctly.
PS: Iā€™m looking at walking it by the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does anyone know the towns and villages between Bayonne and SJPP which I passed through when train not going.
I don't quite understand your question? "When train not going" - do you mean when the train is replaced by a replacement bus or a train-bus combo? The stops are the same in all three cases and the timetables are the same in all three cases, except that the train takes 1 hour, the replacement bus alone takes 1h 27 minutes and the train-bus combination takes 1h 17 minutes. The departure times from Bayonne are always the same.

(I've got the screenshots with the details. ā˜ŗļø)

I also wasnā€™t sure what information @MickMac was looking for - but hopefully he now has what he needs šŸ˜Ž and then some.

We hope to walk the Voie de la Nive from SJPP TO BAYONNE in late April after arriving in SJPP via the Chemin du Piemont. Or, if we have run out of days, weā€™ll take the train or bus or train / bus šŸ˜€

I also wasnā€™t sure what information @MickMac was looking for - but hopefully he now has what he needs šŸ˜Ž and then some.

We hope to walk the Voie de la Nive from SJPP TO BAYONNE in late April after arriving in SJPP via the Chemin du Piemont. Or, if we have run out of days, weā€™ll take the train or bus or train / bus šŸ˜€
Iā€™d be interested to know how you go anamcara. Accommodation wise, distances, other pilgrims and supplies along the way etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't quite understand your question? "When train not going" - do you mean when the train is replaced by a replacement bus or a train-bus combo? The stops are the same in all three cases and the timetables are the same in all three cases, except that the train takes 1 hour, the replacement bus alone takes 1h 27 minutes and the train-bus combination takes 1h 17 minutes. The departure times from Bayonne are always the same.

(I've got the screenshots with the details. ā˜ŗļø)
Some of little basque towns and villages looked great from bus, just wondered should I want to stay in one, by the way the bus was taking you life in someone else's hands freighting journies lunatic drivers .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of little basque towns and villages looked great from bus, just wondered should I want to stay in one, by the way the bus was taking you life in someone else's hands freighting journies lunatic drivers .
I missed my chance then as I've never taken the bus from Bayonne ;). I have fond memories of the landscape near SJPP; walked through it once from the north and a couple of times in a car from other directions. The foothills of the Basque country remind me of the foothills of the Alps but their green seems even greener, their hills have a different and pleasing shape and the large Basque houses with their red and white make a great visual composition. BTW, I learnt only today that Cambo-les-Bains has thermal baths and is a spa town.

So for those who want to go on that wild bus ride, grab your chance. Currently, the line is served by train from Bayonne to C-l-B and then the bus, and later in the year it will be train only but this Saturday at 11:24 am there will be a rare bus only trip. The schedule also shows the names of the six villages between Bayonne and SJPP where the train and the bus stop.

Train bus.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hold on ... the thread title says "Villages between Bayonne and SJPP - Voie de la Nive". That's not what it said initially, did it? It was just "Villages between Bayonne and SJPP"? Because, not having walked la Voie de la Nive and not being able to contribute to a discussion about it, I would probably not have replied ...ā˜ŗļø

Hold on ... the thread title says "Villages between Bayonne and SJPP - Voie de la Nive". That's not what it said initially, did it? It was just "Villages between Bayonne and SJPP"? Because, not having walked la Voie de la Nive and not being able to contribute to a discussion about it, I would probably not have replied ...ā˜ŗļø
What you sent was exactly what I was looking for I want to stay in some of the villages. Asked has anyone stateyed a night in any village, many thanks.

Hi @Kathar1na donā€™t know who changed the name or location of the thread. But I was the culprit who mentioned Voie e la Nive, at least by name. I wasnā€™t clear about what @MickMac was asking - the names of towns and villages when train not going? Like Lexicos, i took a guess he may have been asking about walking between Bayonne and SJPP. Anyhoo, with your reply @MickMac has found what he was looking for šŸ˜Ž

Last edited by a moderator:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Iā€™ve stayed in Cambo Les Bains and near Irissary - nice villages, but nothing spectacular. The benefit of the walk was certainly the countryside BETWEEN these villages; not sure getting off the bus/train enroute for a random stay would be worth the effort if you have 30+ days of that ahead on the Camino.

Iā€™ve stayed in Cambo Les Bains and near Irissary - nice villages, but nothing spectacular. The benefit of the walk was certainly the countryside BETWEEN these villages; not sure getting off the bus/train enroute for a random stay would be worth the effort if you have 30+ days of that ahead on the Camino.
Many thanks everybody that's what I needed to know.

I looked this up recently and asked the same question a few weeks ago Mick. The map I have shows the following: Bayonne, Ustaritz, Cambo, Halette, SJPDP. Apparently there are some alternative routes. This route I think is 50 km. Iā€™ll double check and post again. Iā€™m told itā€™s a three day walk. I plan to do it in late June, I think.
We're hoping to complete this walk starting 8th April as a pre-Camino Frances. How many days do you suggest we allow?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The route takes 3-4 depending on how far/fast you walk.

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back