• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Sale/Wanted Villages for sale in Galicia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This smells fishy to me - " The mayor in rural Cortegada (southern Galicia, near the border with Portugal) is offering an abandoned village for free." If the village is abandoned how can it have a mayor??;)

Ondo Ibili !

Mendi.

First of all ¡Aupa Althletic! Zorionak.
Secondly. That situation of an abandoned village with a mayor is possible in Galicia.
In this case, the Council of Cortegada has a mayor and a lot of aldeas (villages) depending on him, some af them abandoned, especially in Ourense province .
In Galicia. A Council has some parishes and each parish some villages.

It seems that in Spain, as elsewhere in rural areas, you can be mayor of several villages, or as is the case here, mayor of a village and a hamlet. It's even in Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortegada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Barca
I think this is a fairly old story (2013? see http://www.cortegada.es/a_barca_prensa.html). However, as I can read only English sources where the info usually comes from another English source which was re-edited and copied one from yet another English source etc - I don't really know what the actual situation was and currently is.

One mayor with a lot of villages is normal in Galicia but not in Spain in general. In Castilla every village (100inhab or even less) has its mayor.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There's a beautiful monument dedicated to Galician immigrants in Negreira.

Attachments

• IMAG1691.jpg
    IMAG1691.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMAG1692.jpg
    IMAG1692.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMAG1693.jpg
    IMAG1693.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Where exactly is A Barca? Googlemaps anyone? What I'm finding does not add up with the description.

The Plan?
A Village full of expats from,around the world living the Camino in fact rather than rumination....
Everybody move over there,live in harmony
Drink Vino and be happy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is marked as "A Barca" on the IGN maps which are accessible online. It is near the river Miño and North West of Cortegada, more or less opposite Surreiro on the other side of the river. The Concello de Cortegada has an information page for A Barca online with a planning map where the hamlet of A Barca is one of the areas marked by red boundaries (I can't see place names on this planning map but it is easy to spot).

I don't know how close it is to any of the Caminos but since there are so many roads now being labelled as Camino there is probably one close by ;).

PS: When you zoom closely enough into the area on Google Earth, you will see that there are a number of photos for A Barca and surroundings.
Cortegada (and A Barca) is between two Caminos. To the west it's 50kms to O Porrino on Camino Portugues (a bit more to Tui and Valenca) and to the east 40kms to Ourense on Camino Sanabres.

here is the original article:
Just read this comment.
just one big piece of publicity for the real estate firm, who wrote this article?
I do seem to recall an expat real estate agent trying a few years ago to sell this village.
Loads of nice properties to be found in Galicia without having to pay for the restoration of a whole village.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I guess this idea of selling an entire village might work, but I think the government of Aragon had a better idea. The town of Arres was essentially abandoned and in ruins. The albergue was up and running. The government offered houses, 1 euro each, provided you renovated the house according to their rules and lived in it (in other words, no flipping). The town has come back to life. It has a bar/pension and a number of beautifully restored dwellings. The location is good, most people drive to Jaca to work. It is up on a hill, tremendous views, clean air, and a ton of peace and quiet. Maybe boring for some, but it had a serenity that many would love. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Castilla every village (100inhab or even less) has its mayor.

That's commonly said but it isn't true/accurate. Each municipality has a mayor and many/most municipalities in Castile have just one town/village (some of them with less than 100 and even than 10 inhabitants). However, in Castile, there are also municipalities with more than one town/village. Those municipalities with more than one town/village may have also local mayors. Those local mayors have (some) powers just in the village(s) of which they are local mayors while the mayor of the municipality may have also some powers in those villages with a local mayor (as well as in the rest of the municipality). An example of Castilian municipality with more than one town/village is Valle de Mena. The muncipality of Valle de Mena has more than 100 villages, something like 40 local mayors and the mayor of (all) the municipality.

P.S.: I'm not sure if I explained well-enough the concept of local mayor (alcalde pedáneo or alcaldesa pedánea) but let me know if you need further/more explanations and/or examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was foreigners in the market for cheap Spanish property that stuffed the Spanish banks. Offering over-inflated prices for marginal property on mortgages secured against fanciful future values. "Build a golf-course and they will come..."

I remember when it was German "hippies" buying up anywhere with sun-shine and a beach. I remember whole valleys in Andalucia, Olive and Citrus groves, Fincas and Molinas - just no water, no knowledge of how to maintain Adobe buildings, no clue as to local politics, Spanish inheritance rules or even Spanish. Newspaper columnists have been writing this fantasist shite since the '60's.

Ah, having a grump again.

Entrepreneurs with innovative ideas and seed financing have managed to be successful (long term planning) elsewhere with similar acquisitions. o_O

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I remember a conversation with the owner of an outdoor/sports equipment shop in Burgos where the man shared his view in the housing/banking issues: why does a man like me own 4 homes? Why do the banks lend a man like me money to buy 3 more homes than I need? Thrn there's my cousin anf the offer he got from banks for a mortagage of 11o% of the value of the property he was interested in. None of them were/are foreigners looking for a property in the sun.

Now, I took a lok at the Galician realestate company and its offerings. New albergue in Samos for sale: 225k€. But I prefer the 14th century castle. Interestingly, a number of properties directly on the Invierno... Invest and develop,that route...

Here you have some prices: http://www.aldeasabandonadas.com/venta-de-aldeas.html (web si te in Spanish, but you can use the google translator widget up on the right side to translate it ;)
That is not MR Ackinson's website. Actually this is the website of the original instigator for the project. We know as we appeared on a TV and radio show for him.
Here is another bit about this sale. with a price.
http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...llages-are-up-for-sale-and-theyre-going-cheap

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ivar, thank you.
Took some time but eventually found one of the photos taken of us on national radio talking about the aldeasabandonadas.com website. Photo taken in August 2010. By then the website had been on line for around 8 months. The website owner can be seen wearing the blue top.

Attachments

• radio 2010.jpg
    radio 2010.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 13
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Anemone,
Where did you see this about Invierno? Any link?
Thanks!

K1
In the NPR article therés a link to a real estate company. You can view the properties for sale. Some are identified as veing on the Invierno, others the Norte.

That's commonly said but it isn't true/accurate. Each municipality has a mayor and many/most municipalities in Castile have just one town/village (some of them with less than 100 and even than 10 inhabitants). However, in Castile, there are also municipalities with more than one town/village. Those municipalities with more than one town/village may have also local mayors. Those local mayors have (some) powers just in the village(s) of which they are local mayors while the mayor of the municipality may have also some powers in those villages with a local mayor (as well as in the rest of the municipality). An example of Castilian municipality with more than one town/village is Valle de Mena. The muncipality of Valle de Mena has more than 100 villages, something like 40 local mayors and the mayor of (all) the municipality.

P.S.: I'm not sure if I explained well-enough the concept of local mayor (alcalde pedáneo or alcaldesa pedánea) but let me know if you need further/more explanations and/or examples.

Yes I know what a alcalde pedáneo is.
But I think that in Castile there are few cases like that one in Valle de Mena.
In the South of Segovia province the council of Aldealengua de Pedraza is formed by four villages.. It is said in the area that this specific configuration of Aldealengua is because it was repopulated with people brought from Galicia after the Reconquest. As a matter of fact the next council is called Gallegos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some more of this Bull..... This time in Spanish and about the area I live in. The head photo is taken in the village of Belsar which is on the Camino de Invierno.
As far as I can tell a website based in Russia; The Federal State Unitary Enterprise Russian Agency of the Internat (from Domain Tools), no less:
Translated quote "Most buyers are foreigners. Approximately 70 percent of the buyers are foreigners, compared to 30 percent Spanish." That is news to us who live here we are not exactly swimming in expats at the moment.
Website.

Yes I know what a alcalde pedáneo is.
But I think that in Castile there are few cases like that one in Valle de Mena.

They aren't so few as you may/seem to think. In the comarca of Las Merindades (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Merindades), all the municipalities, except Arija, include more than one village. Las Merindades isn't the only place in Castile where you can find municipalities including more than one village. Those of you who walked the camino francés may recall Belorado. Well, the municipality of Belorado includes several villages too (like, for example, Eterna, which alcalde pedáneo is also in charge of the village of Avellanosa de Rioja). Puente Duero, on the Camino de Madrid, is in charge of the mayor of the city of Valladolid (and part of the municipality of Valladolid). The municipality of Rueda, on the camino del sureste, includes not just the town of Rueda but also the villages of Foncastín and Torrecilla del Valle (both of them with an alcalde pedáneo or an alcaldesa pedánea). If we continue walking on the camino del sureste, we'll arrive to Tordesillas which municipality includes not only Tordesillas but also other towns like, for example, Villavieja del Cerro or Villamarciel. And to Rueda you will have arrived from Medina del Campo; another municipality including more than one village... On the Ruta de la Lana, the municipality of Retortillo de Soria includes not only Retortillo de Soria but 11 villages more (plus another one nowadays without population). On the Camino Vasco del Interior, the municipality of Miranda de Ebro includes several villages too (not all of them with their own alcalde pedáneo)... Those are just some examples of municipalities in a camino to Santiago, there are more examples both in caminos to Santiago and out of them.

Salto de Castro is for sale at €260,000. It includes 44 homes, a hotel, a church, a school, a municipal swimming pool and even a barracks building that used to house the civil guard. It is directly on the border with Portugal not too far from Zamora.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back