• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villamayor de Monjardin --> New albergue?

Hello.
The Miam Miam Dodo 2013 lists at Villamayor de Monjardin apart from the existing Dutch refuge "Oasis Trail" a new private albergue in the Calle Mayor 1.
I cannot find it in the internet. Has someone more informations?
Buen Camino
Jochen

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here now! It is beautiful, just opened six weeks ago. The cost is 15 euros for bed, breakfast, WiFi/internet. There is a kitchen for guest use, and the shop in town opens at 6:00pm. There is also a bar in town if you don´t want to cook.

The albergue is really easy to find, as you come to it just as you enter the town. The Dutch-run albergue is still open, up the small hill to the right, near the bar.

Definitely worth a stop.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I agree it is a lovely Albergue just as described above. Very comfortable.

Another place was very much needed here the day I stayed in June last year. It was a very hot day, far too hot in the afternoon for people to walk on to Los Arcos, but the Dutch albergue was filled very quickly. Quite a large number of people ended up sleeping outside in various places in the village square.
Margaret

People were still sleeping outside last weekend despite the additional accommodation - at least 3 were outside.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In new albergue at the moment. Extremely comfy and clean, just a pity the lovely weather we had today is packing up! Ultreia though anyway.

Karin

On our last two Camino's we have avoided Villamayor, by taking the alternative route via Luquin. This is a delightful route, going through woods and when out in the open, the views are simply spectacular. A couple of Kms after Luquin, the route joins the main Camino path. By taking this alternative route, it becomes very doable in one day. This is the ancient way used before Estella was founded. One passes an ancient Hospital de Peregrinos and a bull raising ranch. Anne

Hello.
The Miam Miam Dodo 2013 lists at Villamayor de Monjardin apart from the existing Dutch refuge "Oasis Trail" a new private albergue in the Calle Mayor 1.
I cannot find it in the internet. Has someone more informations?
Buen Camino
Jochen
I worked at Oasis Trails in 2015. The new albergue is closer to the church than ours. I have not seen the inside but the outside looks nice and I never heard anyone complain about it. They offer a kitchen; we offer communal meal instead. They have a website: www.alberguevillamayordemonjardin.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is also a fairly new one in Azqueta. La Perla Negra.

I worked at Oasis Trails in 2015. The new albergue is closer to the church than ours. I have not seen the inside but the outside looks nice and I never heard anyone complain about it. They offer a kitchen; we offer communal meal instead. They have a website: www.alberguevillamayordemonjardin.com

I have stayed in the new private albergue, Albergue de VillaMayor de Monjardin happily for the past three years. It is GREAT and state of the art with hyper clean, small dorms each with near-by shower and loo. The family who run it are most kind and helpful. What a treat! Read more about my latest stay here. For comparison read more about earlier stops in VMdM here.

Last edited:
On our last two Camino's we have avoided Villamayor, by taking the alternative route via Luquin. This is a delightful route, going through woods and when out in the open, the views are simply spectacular. A couple of Kms after Luquin, the route joins the main Camino path. By taking this alternative route, it becomes very doable in one day. This is the ancient way used before Estella was founded. One passes an ancient Hospital de Peregrinos and a bull raising ranch. Anne

I've walked both ways, and I also prefer the alternative.
The only thing is you must take food, as the bar in Luquin is not always open.

The positive thing for me going by Villamayor is visiting the well - though Joe said last year it had been slimed by pilgrims, and was full of trash :( The negative is that I have tried staying in Villamayor 3 times, and passed each time because I found bedbugs in the rooms. That was in BOTH albergues (not the new one).

I find the walk through Villamayor to be more beautiful in Spring, and the bar has great food!

I don't know.. it's a toss-up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed here... by chance rather than design. It is indeed lovely! I'm not sure my photo does it much justice... the bathroom was spotless and they had lockers for each bed. They greeted me with a cold glass of water and the breakfast, whilst typical of the camino, was plentiful and fresh... good washing and drying facilities too... and they had blankets :)

2014-09-19 12.53.54 (800x450).jpg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Anne, would it be easy for us to retrack on to the MAIN CAMINO...apparently this LUQUIN is off to one side. I really want to do it your way. Are there signposts? Would you be so kind to be in touch with me: regalsolomon@gmail.com Thanks Anne, I'd love to ask you a few questions. ARAMIS

I agree that the Luquin route has some really great views and I really enjoyed it but was very grateful for the bar by the pool in Luquin. I would caution the less fit amongst us that it is definitely a more challenging up and down walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
O.K. If it is going through forests and stuff...yes...it is well worth it. But is the area well mapped out.
Well there be signs? And is it dangerous? Are there other people on this route? Sorry I am paranoid
but I live in OMAN which is the safest country on EARTH and I've lost the ability to judge what is prudent/imprudent. ha ha ARAMIS

Anne, would it be easy for us to retrack on to the MAIN CAMINO...apparently this LUQUIN is off to one side. I really want to do it your way. Are there signposts? Would you be so kind to be in touch with me: regalsolomon@gmail.com Thanks Anne, I'd love to ask you a few questions. ARAMIS
We havent walked the Francés since 2011, so its very posible that there are more signs ( yellow arrows) now. When we walked it, we had to be careful and we took some maps downloaded from Google Earth. From Luquin, it's not far to walk before you go through the tunnel under the road ( which you will have been keeping on your right hand side) and then immediately, you join up with the path coming from Villamayor.

Since posting that, I did stay there. Nice place, though I prefer the other. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back