• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villanueva de la Concepcion - Accommodation

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hi dear fellow pilgrims!
January might see me walking a few days of the Mozárabe, possibly from Málaga to Córdoba. It is mid winter, short days, and it can get cold, so I have decided taking hostals/pensions all the way, it is not efficient to heat up an albergue for just one single pilgrim.
I have seen there are hostals/pensions in every place, but I cannot find an alternative in Villanueva de la Concepción, I would like to stay there so that I can enjoy the stage to Antequera without rushing.
Anybody knows of any alternative accommodation in Villanueva de la Concepción, other than the albergue?
Thanks a million!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi dear fellow pilgrims!
January might see me walking a few days of the Mozárabe, possibly from Málaga to Córdoba. It is mid winter, short days, and it can get cold, so I have decided taking hostals/pensions all the way, it is not efficient to heat up an albergue for just one single pilgrim.
I have seen there are hostals/pensions in every place, but I cannot find an alternative in Villanueva de la Concepción, I would like to stay there so that I can enjoy the stage to Antequera without rushing.
Anybody knows of any alternative accommodation in Villanueva de la Concepción, other than the albergue?
Thanks a million!
Hi, Amancio,

Drinking my morning tea, I am happy to engage in some snow shovelling avoidance activity. :)

Poking around on the web brought up some casas rurales. I have never walked this branch of the Mozárabe, but it is definitely on my list!

Rincon del Torcal has two rooms available. https://rincondeltorcal.com/

Apartamentos Villa Torcal could be a good option. +34 600 95 06 52

Casa Los Lirios looks like a bigger house, but maybe they rent out rooms in off season. +34 686 27 11 99

Hope one of these works. Buen camino, Laurie

Gracias, sol!
Villanueva seems to be largish place, lots of bars and places, but no hostels, hostals or pensions as such... I will try those two casas rurales, it will be different (and special) to go to the Camino in January!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks a million!
Hi Amancio,
I have had the same problem trying to find a place in Villanueva de la Concepcion. There are numerous casas rurales strung out to the west of the town but they are not on your route. To add to Laurie’s suggestions above, try looking up B&B Nuestro Cielo on EscapadaRural.com. They rent by the room, but I am not sure of their exact location. Modulo 1 Buzon 40 Pastelero, Villanueva de la Concepción, Tel 476 677 832

I am glad you will have plenty of time to enjoy the walk over La Escaleruela - we loved it (and also walked it in January). We are in Gaucín right now enjoying sunshine in December, so hoping you will have it in January too. I’ll be looking forward to your trip report!
Elaine

Last edited:
Apartamentos Villa Torcal that Laurie noted above has studio apartments for 37 euros for one night, AND they are open in January! https://apartamentos-villa-torcal-es.book.direct/en-gb. They are also on booking.com.

Airbnb has several offerings right in town also, including an apartment for 26 euros night. Unfortunately, I can’t send you a link because on my phone (all I have here in Gaucín), it takes me right into the app when I search.
Elaine

Last edited:
I don't know why people are saying there's no albergue in Villanueva de la Concepcion. It is on Calle Almeria with the key in the house opposite (although there was someone in occupation when I was there about 10 days ago. However, there is no albergue in Lucena although the guide says it is at the Carretera de la Estacion. I stayed at the Hostal Sara.
The guide also suggests Lucena to Baena as a single stage. However, that would be almost 35K. Instead, I split it by walking to Dona Mencia (26K) and then walking to Castro del Rio (29K) the following day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know why people are saying there's no albergue in Villanueva de la Concepcion. It is on Calle Almeria with the key in the house opposite (although there was someone in occupation when I was there about 10 days ago. However, there is no albergue in Lucena although the guide says it is at the Carretera de la Estacion. I stayed at the Hostal Sara.
The guide also suggests Lucena to Baena as a single stage. However, that would be almost 35K. Instead, I split it by walking to Dona Mencia (26K) and then walking to Castro del Rio (29K) the following day.
Hi, david46,
Amancio knows that there's an albergue there -- check his original post.

We stayed in Apartamentos Villa Torcal, Avenida Blas Infante 64, this October. We payed 37€. Nice place.
Some years ago we stayed in Rincon del Torcal, but it was closed this October.

Thanks, David!
my problem is, it is midwinter and I do not think it is fair to warm up a whole albergue for just the one person, I am not even bringing sleeping bag this time. As to the stage to Baena, I see what you mean, it would be quite a lot, but you never know how strong I might feel that day!

In any case, I am aiming at skipping Espejo and Santa Cruz and make it all the way from Castro del Río to Córdoba in one go, if I feel strong, and if I feel days are long enough for such a walk.
Looking forward to it!
Saludos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apartamentos Villa Torcal that Laurie noted above has studio apartments for 37 euros for one night, AND they are open in January! https://apartamentos-villa-torcal-es.book.direct/en-gb. They are also on booking.com.

Airbnb has several offerings right in town also, including an apartment for 26 euros night. Unfortunately, I can’t send you a link because on my phone (all I have here in Gaucín), it takes me right into the app when I search.
Elaine
Thanks, Islandwalker! I will look for those apartments indeed, good to hear you are in Gaucín, I believe you got quite a bit of water around the area lately! I am hoping to go to that area at the end of February with my local hiking club, looking forward to it!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back