• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villar de Mazarife hostels, hotels etc

Jersey

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2017
I'm looking to walk from Leon to Villar de Mazarife as opposed to walking to Villardangos del Paramo.
Does Villar de Mazarife have any places to stay with private rooms?
I can't find anything on the Internet.
Any suggestion would be appreciated
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Albergue Tio Pepe offers dorms and 5 private rooms.. Their food has always been very good in recent years.
See more here in Gronze.com.
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/villar-mazarife/albergue-tio-pepe
or here in their web.
http://www.alberguetiopepe.es/

Two km further along the camino in Villavante this casa rurale is very comfortable and offers private accommodation .
https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/villavante/casa-rural-molino-galochas

Here is their web--
http://www.molinogalochas.com/

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks mspath & Sabine. I noticed Tio Pepe but the webpage was in Spanish. Would I be better off having my Spanish buddy calling and making my reservation?

Thanks mspath & Sabine. I noticed Tio Pepe but the webpage was in Spanish. Would I be better off having my Spanish buddy calling and making my reservation?

Good idea. Although I think the lady regularly checks her FB-page because I sent her a pm to thank her ( she helped me out with my knee and ice-pack ) and she replied really quickly.

May I also suggest a very good albergue for the next etapa: stay the next day in Villares de Orbigo where my fellow Belgian Christine runs the only albergue of the village.
It is just after Hospital de Orbigo ...so you could stroll around this lovely town and then two k. later you will find the lovely oasis of Villares de Orbigo.
http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-f...e-villares-de-orbigo#slide-2-field_image-5528

Spacious rooms with own bedlinnen. Fixed price for the bed but food is donativo. She is a darn good cook!

Does the albergue de Jesus in Villar still have a fake cave and boat in the garden? I loved that place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Molino Galochas is a real treat, they go out of their way to prepare dinner and provide a relaxing atmosphere. I like Tio Pepe for the camaraderie, the several times I have stayed there was at the end of a long slog in the rain from Leon.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We had a twin room at the first albergue you come to as you walk into Villar de Mazarife. Friendly owners. Great meals dinner and breakfast. I think this is the one with a big garden, boat and cave. My husband stayed at Molino Galachos ( he wasn't roughing it and was definitely not doing a pilgrimage walk) .Great place, he loved it. My friend and I called in there for a coffee and the hosts were a delightful couple.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could also try Albergue San Antonio de Padua, which was very clean and tidy and also had the option of some individual rooms. Had a wonderful communal meal there where we met Brad Genereux (author of 'A Soldier to Santiago'). Thoroughly enjoyed this place.

I have a question about these albegues that offer private rooms.
When you book a private room with twin beds are they sticking another person in the room with you?
My luck I'd get a Roberto Benigni type character from the movie Down By Law
They also might not care for me either lol

You could also try Albergue San Antonio de Padua, which was very clean and tidy and also had the option of some individual rooms. Had a wonderful communal meal there where we met Brad Genereux (author of 'A Soldier to Santiago'). Thoroughly enjoyed this place.
I will look into it but I really want to thank you for mentioning the book.
Looks very interesting

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good idea. Although I think the lady regularly checks her FB-page because I sent her a pm to thank her ( she helped me out with my knee and ice-pack ) and she replied really quickly.

May I also suggest a very good albergue for the next etapa: stay the next day in Villares de Orbigo where my fellow Belgian Christine runs the only albergue of the village.
It is just after Hospital de Orbigo ...so you could stroll around this lovely town and then two k. later you will find the lovely oasis of Villares de Orbigo.
http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-f...e-villares-de-orbigo#slide-2-field_image-5528

Spacious rooms with own bedlinnen. Fixed price for the bed but food is donativo. She is a darn good cook!
Some great suggestions.
How much would a normal donation be for a meal?
Thank you

I would normally leave 8-10 Euros - same as a menu de peregrino.
And breakfast?
Thank you

Last year my buddies got on my case for tipping.
I was well aware there's no need or just to leave a few Euros but wow, it's a hard habit to break.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And breakfast?
Breakfasts would be more variable - depends on what it is and how generous/grateful you are feeling. The idea is to leave at least as much as you would pay normally for the meal, and sometimes add extra to cover the costs of the people who can't or won't pay that much. Staying in a donativo with bed, shower, dinner and breakfast, I would probably leave Euro 20.

Some great suggestions.
How much would a normal donation be for a meal?
Thank you

Well I always give in a donativo , like in Tosantos where there is a bed, dinner and breakfast provided ,at least as much as in a more expensive private albergue. So let's say 12 € bed, 10 € for dinner and 3 € for breakfast. Making it 25 € in total.

That is of course because I'm able to do so and I have the means.

There were places where I was more generous and one place where I was less : that was an albergue where the hospitalero was keeping an eye on the donativo box and was giving so many non verbal reactions that lots of pilgrims felt uncomfortable about what was right or wrong.

Btw the breakfast at Villares de Orbigo is wonderful : she will ask you the night before if you would like eggs and bacon.:)

Well I always give in a donativo , like in Tosantos where there is a bed, dinner and breakfast provided ,at least as much as in a more expensive private albergue. So let's say 12 € bed, 10 € for dinner and 3 € for breakfast. Making it 25 € in total.

That is of course because I'm able to do so and I have the means.

There were places where I was more generous and one place where I was less : that was an albergue where the hospitalero was keeping an eye on the donativo box and was giving so many non verbal reactions that lots of pilgrims felt uncomfortable about what was right or wrong.

Btw the breakfast at Villares de Orbigo is wonderful : she will ask you the night before if you would like eggs and bacon.:)
I would assume asking for eggs Benedict would be stretching my luck ?
LOL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a question about these albegues that offer private rooms.
When you book a private room with twin beds are they sticking another person in the room with you?
My luck I'd get a Roberto Benigni type character from the movie Down By Law
They also might not care for me either lol

Jersey, when you book the double or twin room, you are booking the room itself. So getting a Robert Benigni type character shouldn't happen.

My buddy's wife booked me a room at Tio Pepe while I slept last night
So Tio Pepe it is lol

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha! tell the lady hi from that mad woman from Belgium that went into a crying fit after the icepack burnt her knee...Believe me she will know who I am....:D:D
I guess we all left some "special memories" with certain albergues/people. Word gets around that I'm quite famous on Camino de Invierno :D

Haha! tell the lady hi from that mad woman from Belgium that went into a crying fit after the icepack burnt her knee...Believe me she will know who I am....:D:D
I assume you parted ways on good terms?
Just checking. Before I send your regards lol

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jersey, when you book the double or twin room, you are booking the room itself. So getting a Robert Benigni type character shouldn't happen.
Likely fun to have a few beers with him but share a room?
I don't think so lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... How much would a normal donation be for ...?

As much as you can afford ;-) Donativo albergues that offer dinner/bed/breakfast plus run the usual costs of electricity/gas/cleaning material/repairs/upkeep/water etc. rely on the solidarity among the pilgrims, meaning that everybody gives according to their possibilities. Some have less money, some more in their budget/bank account.

Hypothetical question: If you can treat yourself on the end of the way to a night or two in the Parador or a similar in Santiago, can't you also afford to help keeping traditional donativo albergues alive by leaving a generous donation?

Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back