Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villaviciosa to Oviedo on the Primitivo: Info and Credencial

Hello! It's Peregrina Nicole and we are back this year for yet another Camino (Frances from St Jean, 2008; Portugues from Oporto (and then on to Muxia and Fisterra), 2009 and the Ingles from El Ferrol, 2010). We want to start the Primitive in Villaviciosa. I've looked through the forum and cut and pasted advice on accomodation, camping, suggested days, which all seems to be from Oviedo onwards. I have the Confraternity of St James guide to the Primitivo (Eric Walker, 2010) but I would like a bit more info on places to stay, places to eat, suggested days and any route issue we should be aware of (i.e quality of waymarks, places people get lost, etc) on the Villaviciosa to Oviedo bit.

We would also like to know where one gets a credencial if you start in Villaviciosa and any recommendation on nice but cheap accomdation that we can pre-book (I speak Spanish, so phoning isn't an issue) that would be not too horrendously far from the start. We are arriving on Aug 13 via the Stanstead flight to Asturias. We figure that the best way to get to the start is the airport bus to Gijon and then either a bus or train to Villaviciosa. My boyfriend, Camino Bob, is looking into the transport to the start end of things and he reckons that we will be arriving in Villavivicosa by 4:30ish in the afternoon. Would any place that where you can get a credencial be open after that? We don't want to waste time in Oviedo trying to get one there as this will mean that we will arrive much later in Villaviciosa.

A final question: are there any current bed bug issues that we should be aware on on the route to Santiago from this point?

This has been a pretty hellish year at work for me so I am so looking forward to working off my stress.

Buen Camino everyone!

Peregrina Nicole

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
peregrina nicole said:
but I would like a bit more info on places to stay, places to eat, suggested days and any route issue we should be aware of (i.e quality of waymarks, places people get lost, etc) on the Villaviciosa to Oviedo bit.

Hi Nicole,

You can find further information in the following Spanish websites:

Eroski Consumer

Camino del Norte - Enlace hasta Oviedo y Camino Primitivo
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-sebrayo-a-gijon

Gronze

Camino del Norte
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-del-norte.htm

Localidades del Camino del Norte (distancias y servicios) Variante por Oviedo
http://www.gronze.com/documents/pdf/047cas.pdf

Camino Primitivo
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-primitivo.htm

Guía Turística de Asturias

Albergues de Peregrinos
http://www.asturnor.com/albergues/peregrinos.html

Albergues
http://www.asturnor.com/albergues/index.html

Sarah :arrow:

Hi Nicole,

I stayed in Villaviciosa for three nights, 2 of them at Hostal Cafe del Sol (tel 985 89 11 30). It is clean and cheapish, and is the one recommended in most guides, its on the camino, if you get a front balcony room you watch the pilgrims go by. The bus station is no more than 150 meters away, if you come out of the back entrance you are on the camino, turn left(into town) and you will be going to the hotel, you will see a tourist information on your right as you are walking, maybe ask there about credencials or even at the hotel,or even if you ring them they may be able to help. Villavicioasa gets busy at weekends and accommodation can be hard to come by, places are booked up in advance.
There are no trains, i asked this question at the tourist info, i had to go into Gijon to look for some new walking shoes, the response was laughter, then "no". But there are plenty of buses from Gijon, some go faster routes by at least half an hour, so keep an eye on that when you arrive at Gijon bus station. There are a couple of large churches near the bus station, so if you have time to spare check them out, the camino goes through this area, they may have credencials.

Buen Camino

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Nicole,
I too stayed at the Hostal-Café Del Sol in Villaviciosa. If you cannot get a credential in the town, you may be able to pick one up at the monastery in Valdediós, or why not get one before you go from the Confraternity of St. James? I walked on through Valdediós to Pola de Siero (28k) where I stayed at the Hotel Loriga - 985 72 00 26. The only place you need to keep your eyes open is at the dividing of the ways at the Capilla de San Blas at Casquita. You will turn left! I remember a very steep climb from the monastery up the Vallina Oscura to the main road at Villarrica (cafe/bar at the top). Your 'stages' will depend on your timing and how fit you are! If you want a very short first day (10 kilometers) you could try phoning ahead and booking the Albergue at the monastery. That will leave you 18k to Pola and another 17.5 to Oviedo.
You will definitely get a credential at the Camará Santa in Oviedo cathedral. If you have one when you get there they will give you a stamp and let you into the Camará Santa free. The visit is an essential part of the pilgrimage on the Primitivo.
I envy you your walk!
Blessings
Tio Tel

Thanks for the advice!!! We are booked into the Hostal Cafe de Sol for Aug 13 and the very nice lady I talked to said that they had credenciales. So, that makes life quite a lot easier (as does being fluent in Spanish)! She wanted me to phone to reconfirm a couple of days before, so I gather that this must be a busy place. We have a double room with sink (not ensuite) and it was 31 euros. We passed through Gijon bus station when we were on route to the start of the Ingles, so we know it well. Thanks also for the info on route finding.

I'll start making my way through the websites I've been sent and will report back with any questions.

peregrina nicole said:
She wanted me to phone to reconfirm a couple of days before, so I gather that this must be a busy place.

Hi Nicole, the whole town fills up at weekends, i spent three nights there, trying to sort out my blister problem and get some new shoes. The Saturday i was there, there was a lot of street bands and entertainers and it can go on quite late, Spanish late.

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have an update on the Primitivo from Aug 2011 via my 'live from the Camino post'. However, if someone is doing a forum search and is looking for a credencial the following except from my 'live' post will be helpful.

'I managed to get my CREDENCIAL at the Cafe Colon (a lady from the amigos del camino) does the issuing (bring your passport). This is in the plaza where the ayunatmento building is (left hand side of the plaza). This is an offical Asturias credenical. You can get sellos from the Cafe Colon or the tourist info office'.

We also stayed at the Hostal Sol as recommended by a few people on this thread. It is a great place. Follow Mike's advice and book ahead. It is a popular place.

Thanks for the good info! I am working on revising and updating the Confraternity of St James guidebook for Camino Primitivo. I, too, started from Villaviciosa where there is now an official Office of Tourism where you can procure your credential. Any other tips you think I should add? The revised version should be out in September 2017.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the good info! I am working on revising and updating the Confraternity of St James guidebook for Camino Primitivo. I, too, started from Villaviciosa where there is now an official Office of Tourism where you can procure your credential. Any other tips you think I should add? The revised version should be out in September 2017.

I didn't go via Valdedios but went via San Pedro de Ambas - there's a narrow but perfectly walkable shaded path that is worth mentioning

And, don't forget to mention the Coviran supermarket in Vega de Sariego that opens until 2pm on Sundays - though it does get busy as the locals drive in to do their shopping

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back