Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villavieja albergue again being managed by Ayuntamiento

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
There were several recent comments about the status of the Villavieja albergue, and I wanted to make sure the information was up to date. Here is the latest, as of July 2021:

The ayuntamiento (municipal government) of Priaranza del Bierzo is managing the albergue. Priaranza del Bierzo is the municipality to which the hamlet of Villavieja belongs. The town owns it, and they had contracted out the management to private people. There have been two hospitaleros that I know of, but neither renewed the contract after a year.

But the albergue is open. Here is the latest straight from the horse’s mouth, translated.

The ayuntamiento is now managing the albergue, and it is open. In Villavieja there is no bar or restaurant. But the albergue has a kitchen, so you can bring food and cook there. There are also towels and sheets.

It’s 10€ a night and you leave your money on top of the desk where the sello is for the credential.

Please get in touch two days before your stay. Call 987-42-08-06. M-F, 9 am - 2 pm. You can also write to the email address for information, aytopriaranza@ccbierzo.com, but calling is requested for actual reservations.

They also tell me how to find the key, but I don’t think I will post that bit.

Villavieja is a good first night for those who walk shorter stages or who want to leave Ponferrada later in the day.

I am contemplating a September/October camino that would include the Invierno and have thought it would be a great idea to sleep in Ponferrada, walk to Santo Tomás de las Ollas to visit the church, and then carry on to Villavieja.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Update on the albergue in Villavieja. As of October, 2021, pilgrims report staying there and enjoying it a lot.

If you haven’t reserved ahead of time (though that is highly recommended — see the first post), there are two other options —

The town hall in the town of Priaranza del Bierzo (which you walk through before beginning the ascent to Villavieja and whose jurisdiction includes Villavieja) is open weekdays till 2 pm. Staff will give you the instructions.

Alternatively, if you arrive at the albergue, there should be a cell phone number on the door and you can call directly.

We had also read on WisePilgrim.com that you had to contact the town hall two days ahead of time for the reservation as noted in your first post. This is good news that some people did not have to do that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back