• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villiers sur Suize to Langres

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Woke up to sunny skies, a good wind and 46 degree temperatures.
Out the door I went for a short 14 mile day through dark thick forests, where I had to swat away several rude, French barking dogs as I passed their properties.
While in the forest the overgrown trail became narrow and too overgrown to continue causing me to climb over a barbedwire fence onto private property. I eventually found my way back onto the correct trail and made it to my day's ultimate destination of Langres, where I will take a scheduled rest day and do my laundry.

Attachments

• 20230525_083022.jpg
    20230525_083022.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 941
  • 20230525_091458.jpg
    20230525_091458.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230525_141826.jpg
    20230525_141826.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230525_142528.jpg
    20230525_142528.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I met my first fellow pilgrims since Canterbury in Langres by prior arrangement via Facebook. Didn't meet another until Orsieres in Switzerland!

Surprisingly, I have met about 12 thus far. Each starting at various locations and everyone on a different itinerary.
There are so many options to choose from when planning this trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to learn that you have made it to the walled town of Langres which has several good restos; do sample the delicious local cheese.

During WW1 the AEF was billeted throughout the surrounding area. You may see markers mentioning this and the location of American military encampments and/or hospitals.

This weekend is another May holiday in France, La Pentecôte, celebrated 50 days after Easter. The holiday will continue Monday; no post or banks open. Be prepared.

Last edited:
...trail became narrow and too overgrown to continue causing me to climb over a barbedwire fence onto private property. I eventually found my way back onto the correct trail and made it to my day's ultimate destination...
Ahh Bob...the ol' problem solving on the fly abilities would be honed by now!

Enjoy a well earned rest day; something I should have included a few more of in the first half of my VF...but didn't...with the ever present Schengen limit in mind... 😉

What Day# are you up to?
Best wishes.
👣🌏

Hello @TassieKaz.
Today is day 27. Yes, solving problems on the fly is an essential ability when living out of a backpack for so many days on the road in a foreign country, without the knowledge of the local language.
Thank God for Google!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Mspath.
It seems the French stretch out their holidays throughout the year and couple them with a weekend.
I like that idea.

I stayed in Langres for a rest day almost exactly a year ago.

Nice pilgrim albergue/gite, and also a nice campsite with perfect view of the sunset if you set up your tent on the hill with the flags, directly next to the old watchtower / city wall.

Met several pilgrims walking to Rome there, which was exciting after walking mainly alone for weeks, but no one walking to Santiago that day (except me 😉).

Enjoy your rest day and the town. And thank you for reminding me of my stay there last year.

IMG20220528210200.jpgIMG20220528185116.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.