• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

vino tinto withdrawal pains....

LesR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
Some good news for Aussies missing their nightly dose of vino tinto...

A certain German supermarket is offering Baron Amarillo Reserva Rioja - regrettably at a premium over the standard camino vino tino ($AUD10) but still a passable alternative to the vino tino we came to know and love on the Camino Frances...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That certain German supermarket seems to be mentioned often here on the Forum :D. Guess they love importing Spanish products!

Enjoy the Rioja!

Rather suspect that the supermarket chain in question has no commitment to the camino or to pregrinos, but rather their business model is chasing the mark-up between what they can buy the wine for (standard camino vino tinto retails in Spain for around 1 euro per bottle), and what they can sell if for in Australia ($9.99)...

Attachments

• ALN1005_PD_WINES_388x314_11.jpg
    ALN1005_PD_WINES_388x314_11.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 34
Rather suspect that the supermarket chain in question has no commitment to the camino or to pregrinos, but rather their business model is chasing the mark-up between what they can buy the wine for (standard camino vino tinto retails in Spain for around 1 euro per bottle), and what they can sell if for in Australia ($9.99)...

I don't know how much tax plays a part in alcohol pricing in Australia. Here in the UK my local supermarket sells a fairly decent Spanish Tempranillo for about £3.90 a bottle. £2 of that goes straight to the government in tax - leaving the supermarket with £1.90. Even if they are buying the wine from Spain at something in the region of 1 euro per bottle I do not think that a mark-up of about £1 is excessive given the overheads in transport, storage and retail costs which will have to be recovered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know how much tax plays a part in alcohol pricing in Australia. Here in the UK my local supermarket sells a fairly decent Spanish Tempranillo for about £3.90 a bottle. £2 of that goes straight to the government in tax - leaving the supermarket with £1.90. Even if they are buying the wine from Spain at something in the region of 1 euro per bottle I do not think that a mark-up of about £1 is excessive given the overheads in transport, storage and retail costs which will have to be recovered.
A bottle of Spanish Tempranillo sells for $12.99 US near my home...ouch! I only buy it for the annual Camino "mini reunions" I attend with my Camino pals, all hailing from the midwest.

That certain German supermarket seems to be mentioned often here on the Forum :D. Guess they love importing Spanish products!

Enjoy the Rioja!
It has been pretty much the only place where I could buy Spanish products in my town. They stock serrano ham, chorizo sausages and salami, Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos, and three types of cheese - manchego (sheep’s milk), cabra (a nice goat’s milk one) and Iberico (a mix of cow, sheep and goats milk) plus a selection of Spanish wine. Someone can correct me if I got the cheeses mixed up. Of late the two big supermarket chains have added some Spanish products to their shelves but don’t have the same range as the German supermarket that shall remain nameless.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the UK, any bottle of wine, around the £5.00 mark, try Aldi, after taxes the wine is worth 10p!
A £ 10.00 bottle - the wine is worth £ 5.90.

Don’t you just love Brexit.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Forgive my abysmal and non wine drinking question...
But what eeez deez..Vino Tinto?
Is it a magical elixer?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sadly
Me and wine are mortal enemies..
The headache you see.
I tend to stick to vodkas..now if there is a Spanish vodka that isnt moonshine..imw in!

Sadly
Me and wine are mortal enemies..
The headache you see.
I tend to stick to vodkas..now if there is a Spanish vodka that isnt moonshine..imw in!

You have my sympathy (and my thanks - all the more vino tinto for me..)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually I was hoping that when members saw the pitiful state of my wine cellar, they might take pity and send me more...lol

But h``
My private stash of vino tinto at home keeps me in shape for my next Camino..View attachment 37934

It has been pretty much the only place where I could buy Spanish products in my town. They stock serrano ham, chorizo sausages and salami, Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos, and three types of cheese - manchego (sheep’s milk), cabra (a nice goat’s milk one) and Iberico (a mix of cow, sheep and goats milk) plus a selection of Spanish wine. Someone can correct me if I got the cheeses mixed up. Of late the two big supermarket chains have added some Spanish products to their shelves but don’t have the same range as the German supermarket that shall remain nameless.

But does their inventory include any Licor Heirbos? am looking for an Australian supplier...

One of Spain's supercentenarians just celebrated his birthday, over 110 yrs, one of his secrets for a long life is drinking una copa de vino tinto a diario. Have a Feliz Navidad y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ahhh
I see...
It is a bringer of smiles?
Of laughter and guile
For tellers of storys
And corks strewn about victuals,vittles,and viands?

Of sweetened sunshine held in a glass?
Laughter entwined in the voice of a lass?
Or gentle man sir
With the soupcon astir wits beginning mid and end...
Ohh hell
Lets just pretend...

That tendons not tender
And feet are not sore
And legs that are ready for a little bit more

Slouching hat and hidden flagon
Don Quihote and jousting with dragons
And Sancho looking happily over his panza
Smiling of wit and swelling of stanza

The maker of friends
The means of the ends
Making poets of pilgrims
And phrases that bend

Is it that! Magical elixer...

I must sip while there is elbow to bend!

But h``

But does their inventory include any Licor Heirbos? am looking for an Australian supplier...
We just brought some back in our baggage from Barcelona. When the Orujo is gone then it's time to return to Spain!

Vino tinto, pulpo, Pimentos de Padron, followed by a copa of Orujo de hierbas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In the UK, any bottle of wine, around the £5.00 mark, try Aldi, after taxes the wine is worth 10p!
A £ 10.00 bottle - the wine is worth £ 5.90.

Don’t you just love Brexit.

No. Just think we'll all be back to the way it was in the 70's . . .
  • beer - 16 litres
  • wine (not sparkling) - 4 litres
You will also be able to bring in either:
  • spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 1 litre
  • fortified wine (eg port, sherry), sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol - 2 litres
  • and one from the following:
  • 200 cigarettes
  • 100 cigarillos
  • 50 cigars
  • 250g tobacco
They never plastered THAT over the side of their bus, did they?

Some good news for Aussies missing their nightly dose of vino tinto...

A certain German supermarket is offering Baron Amarillo Reserva Rioja - regrettably at a premium over the standard camino vino tino ($AUD10) but still a passable alternative to the vino tino we came to know and love on the Camino Frances...

Have you tried it yet ?

I took one sip and threw it out :(

Tasted almost like it was 'corked'. That bad.
Hopefully it was just a bad batch ?

I bought a couple of their French wines and they were OK.

And No, I'm not a fussy wine drinker............at all !

My favourite is the $10 Rioja from Liquorland. Sometimes $8 on special :)

Have you tried it yet ?

I took one sip and threw it out :(

Tasted almost like it was 'corked'. That bad.
Hopefully it was just a bad batch ?

I bought a couple of their French wines and they were OK.

And No, I'm not a fussy wine drinker............at all !

My favourite is the $10 Rioja from Liquorland. Sometimes $8 on special :)

Yes, I have, and went back for some more...

OK - its not the classic red wine that we Aussies are used to, and it isn't the red wine that I became quite fond of on Camino Frances. That said, it is a passable substitute for the Camino red - soft, not a lot of acid and little tannins...

But my bottles definitely were not corked - I know what that tastes like and I woudl drink the wine if it it did taste like it was corked...

Wil look up the $10 Rioja from Liquorland out fo interest - thanks for the tip.

Les

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I have, and went back for some more...

OK - its not the classic red wine that we Aussies are used to, and it isn't the red wine that I became quite fond of on Camino Frances. That said, it is a passable substitute for the Camino red - soft, not a lot of acid and little tannins...

But my bottles definitely were not corked - I know what that tastes like and I woudl drink the wine if it it did taste like it was corked...

Wil look up the $10 Rioja from Liquorland out fo interest - thanks for the tip.

Les

I'll take a pic of the bottle when I'm passing next.

Aradon Rioja ? ($10 on said stores website tonight)
That's it!
Really nice chilled a bit.
Sometimes it's on special at $8 ;)

Generic_WineBottle.ashx

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's it!
Really nice chilled a bit.
Sometimes it's on special at $8 ;)

Generic_WineBottle.ashx
I had noticed that the camino wine was often chilled before serving, and didn't seem to suffer from it.. Have also heard that we Aussies drink our red wine too warm - while 'room temperature' is the recommendation, it appears that it is "European room temperature - ie 15C or thereabouts, not the usual Aussies temperature of 25C and up...

while 'room temperature' is the recommendation, it appears that it is "European room temperature - ie 15C or thereabouts, not the usual Aussies temperature of 25C and up...
A few years ago on another forum I posted a bread recipe requested by a man living in New Delhi. It included instructions to leave the dough "somewhere warm" to rise. For me in Wales that means about 20C. When I realised that it was May in India I suggested that the best place might be in the fridge :) Probably better to be specific on such an international forum where "normal" can cover such a lot of ground :)

I had noticed that the camino wine was often chilled before serving, and didn't seem to suffer from it.. Have also heard that we Aussies drink our red wine too warm - while 'room temperature' is the recommendation, it appears that it is "European room temperature - ie 15C or thereabouts, not the usual Aussies temperature of 25C and up...

Je Je :)

I consider cellar temperature to be the perfect one .... that is 12-15 C. Sure also the room temperature is important ... you won´t appreciate the temperature of the wine the same if the room temperature is -30 or + 30C. I even like different wines depending on the weather temperature. Humm.... I am thinking in a VERY cold Sherry during the summer time!! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ahha, my favourite subject again!
I notice that the Aradon is not Reserva, so at least 1 less year in Oak Barrels, compared to the Aldi Reserva.
Also, the Aradon is screw capped - sacrilege :D
I have the good fortune of spending the whole of March touring New Zealand - might I find a 'Liquorland' to test my
non-Antipodean tastebuds?

I have the good fortune of spending the whole of March touring New Zealand - might I find a 'Liquorland' to test my
non-Antipodean tastebuds?

Probably not... Liquorland is the bottleshop for one of our major supermarket, so unless Coles or Woolworths has jumped the Ditch, I doubt that Liquorland will be in found in NZ...

PS: Said wine advertised at $8 per bottle as of this morning...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back