• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vintage Santiago de Compostela

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
I like to find vintage images of places I've lived or travelled to. A few of Santiago.

Attachments

• Plaza Del Obradoiro.jpg
    Plaza Del Obradoiro.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Plaza Cervantes.jpg
    Plaza Cervantes.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 87
  • plaza de platerias.jpg
    plaza de platerias.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Plaza del Obradoiro 2.jpg
    Plaza del Obradoiro 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Porta Santa.jpg
    Porta Santa.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Botafumeiro.jpg
    Botafumeiro.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 95
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What wonderful historic photos; would you please share the source/date of these images.

MM

What wonderful historic photos; would you please share the source/date of these images.

MM

Except for the one of the boys with the botafumeiro, they are all old postcards found in various antique shops and second hand shops and bookstores along the way over the past few years. None have dates on them. I have found the same images online but the only one that had a date attached was the one of the women in front of the Porta Santa - it said pre-1910. A friend sent the one of the boys to me a while ago. I'll try to find out where he found it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your update; no need to go to any further trouble. As an art/architectural historian I love old views and prints. Your sepia photos of empty public spaces and women in long skirts recall discriptions by Georgina Goddard King in her fascinating early 1917 study The Way of Saint James first published 1920.

Thanks for your update; no need to go to any further trouble. As an art/architectural historian I love old views and prints. Your sepia photos of empty public spaces and women in long skirts recall discriptions by Georgina Goddard King in her fascinating early 1917 study The Way of Saint James first published 1920.

Thank you so much for the info about this book! I have just ordered Vol. 1.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looks like all the windows of the now parador are thrown wide open. Does anyone kow what its use was after it was a pilgrim hospital and before it was a parador?

I asked that very question of a staff member in the reception area of the parador when I was there last summer. She told me that it is thought to be the oldest continually running hotel in the world and that it was operating as a hostal before it was renovated to become a parador. I wasn't clear on when the shift from hospice to hostal happened or what year it became a parador. I've seen various dates - in the 1950's, 1960's and 1980's.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looks like all the windows of the now parador are thrown wide open. Does anyone kow what its use was after it was a pilgrim hospital and before it was a parador?

The Spanish Wikipedia article states "Se utilizó como hospital hasta el siglo XIX. En el siglo XX se convirtió en Parador de Turismo con la denominación «Parador Museo Santiago»." "It was used as a hospital until the 19th century. In the 20th century it was converted in a Parador de Tourismo under the classification >Parador Museum Santiago.<" See https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_de_los_Reyes_Católicos#Historia

There is also a lengthily English PDF on the Parador website itself with some historic information here: http://www.parador.es/sites/default/files/parador/adjuntos/2013/09/santiago_eng.pdf

Hope that helps, SY

The Spanish Wikipedia article states "Se utilizó como hospital hasta el siglo XIX. En el siglo XX se convirtió en Parador de Turismo con la denominación «Parador Museo Santiago»." "It was used as a hospital until the 19th century. In the 20th century it was converted in a Parador de Tourismo under the classification >Parador Museum Santiago.<" See https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_de_los_Reyes_Católicos#Historia

There is also a lengthily English PDF on the Parador website itself with some historic information here: http://www.parador.es/sites/default/files/parador/adjuntos/2013/09/santiago_eng.pdf

Hope that helps, SY

Thank you!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Hostal de los Reyes Católicos was the Santiago hospital until 1953. On 24th July 1954 was open as a Parador with the presence of the future pope John XXIII.
My mother was operated of goiter in that hospital.
In 1912, the hospital was declared national monument, and the photo with all those well dressed people, including soldiers, suggests me the presence inside of the King of Spain because that event.

The photo in Praza Cervantes for me is clear, it shows three old women who probably went that day to Santiago from one village near (Labacolla?) to sell products (cheese, eggs, vegetables) and buy things (sugar, chocolate....).

What is not clear for me is what could have been doing those women at Porta Santa wearing rural clothes, one of them wears wooden shoes. I mean for most women it was not usual visiting the cathedral dressed in that way.

The Hostal de los Reyes Católicos was the Santiago hospital until 1953. On 24th July 1954 was open as a Parador with the presence of the future pope John XXIII.
My mother was operated of goiter in that hospital.
In 1912, the hospital was declared national monument, and the photo with all those well dressed people, including soldiers, suggests me the presence inside of the King of Spain because that event.

The photo in Praza Cervantes for me is clear, it shows three old women who probably went that day to Santiago from one village near (Labacolla?) to sell products (cheese, eggs, vegetables) and buy things (sugar, chocolate....).

What is not clear for me is what could have been doing those women at Porta Santa wearing rural clothes, one of them wears wooden shoes. I mean for most women it was not usual visiting the cathedral dressed in that way.

Thank you for this information. Really interesting to read your thoughts on the photos.

I like to find vintage images of places I've lived or travelled to. A few of Santiago.
A while back I uploaded 10 or so images of Viana in an album which you can search for ' San Fermin Vintage Postcards' ( someone please help with a proper link , my computer skills are limited)
Below that first image is a short intro to Vintage postcards - use the top right direction button to view each image in the Album.
Ebay is a good source to find vintage postcards but perhaps an even better avenue is Delcampe postcards.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If one selects 'Camino photos' and then scroll down to 'Browse Albums' - select .... then at the bottom select page 6 - I have written a note on collecting Vintage postcards under the 'San Fermin' view

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A while back I uploaded 10 or so images of Viana in an album which you can search for ' San Fermin Vintage Postcards' ( someone please help with a proper link , my computer skills are limited)
Below that first image is a short intro to Vintage postcards - use the top right direction button to view each image in the Album.
Ebay is a good source to find vintage postcards but perhaps an even better avenue is Delcampe postcards.

Fantastic! Thanks so much Renshaw - great to see these images.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back