• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virgin camino walker

David Edmond

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP April 2014
Hi all
Thinking of walking full Camino de la plata from the 1 April.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
Also anyone thinking of this challenge around the same time would like to hear from you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

Aiming to arrive in Seville last week in April about the 22nd. Walking the whole route to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.

Buen Camino.

Hello David
I am also hoping to walk the Via de la Plata starting in Seville on April 1st. So I will probably meet you on the camino
You will get very good advice for all you will need on this forum
Maura

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello David
I am also hoping to walk the Via de la Plata starting in Seville on April 1st. So I will probably meet you on the camino
You will get very good advice for all you will need on this forum
Maura
Hi Maura
I am still in the planning stage but will keep you posted.

Hi all
Also anyone thinking of this challenge around the same time would like to hear from you
Hi all

Hello Dave,
I will be arriving in Seville April 2 and am staying at the Triana Backpackers that night and starting to walk on the 3rd.
This will be the second time I've walked the VdlP. (First was September-October, 2011.)
There's a possibility our paths will cross.
Advice? The first mistake I made on my previous walk was starting from Seville before sunrise and in the dark. Missed a crucial corner and ended up lost for an hour. An inauspicious start but it all worked out OK in the end.
Larry Green
Canada

Hi Larry
Not starting in the dark, sounds like good advice to me, I haven't the best sense of direction.
If you have any tips on what and what not to carry would be much appreciated.
I will look into the Triana for vacancies.
Hope to see you on the 3rd
David Edmond

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Larry
Not starting in the dark, sounds like good advice to me, I haven't the best sense of direction.
If you have any tips on what and what not to carry would be much appreciated.
I will look into the Triana for vacancies.
Hope to see you on the 3rd
David Edmond

This is my packing list, David. Anything more is just excess baggage. The weight comes to about 19-20 pounds, although some days it is necessary to carry a little extra water and food which add a bit.
Pack
Osprey Atmos model, 50 litres.
Pack cover
Sleeping bag
Good for +10C and above
Pillow case
One guide book suggests taking a pillow case. Instead, I zip up my jacket, turn it inside out and stuff the pillow into it.
Shirts, 3
Pants, convertible 2
Shorts, underwear 4
Socks, liner, 3 pr.
Socks, Smartwool, hiking, medium weight, 3 pr.
T-shirt
Cap
Rain gear
Jacket
Sweater, lightweight
Shoes
Sandals
Glasses, 2 pr.
Soap
Soap container
Towel, quick-dry
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
A couple small tubes and when those run out purchase in Spain.
Dental floss
Razor
Blades
Shaving cream
Small travel-size container. Can be purchased in Spain as needed
Fingernail clippers
Toenail clippers
Laundry soap, 1 bar
Most alberques have faciltities for hand washing and a very few have washing machines.
Safety pins
Useful for hanging laundry. Clothes pins are not always available.
Hydrocortisone cream
For rashes, itches and scratches.
Immodium
Laxative
Ciprofloxacin
Ibuprofen
Foot care treatment
First aid kit, small
Knife, Swiss army
One with scissors is very handy.
Spoon
Water bottle, one litre
Flashlight, headlight
Camera
All standard dry cell batteries are available in Spain. If your camera has a special battery it would be a good idea to take a spare that is fully charged. Or a battery charger and adapter for the European outlets.
Passport
Photocopies of main page of passport
Money
Lots of ATMs in the bigger towns and cities. 20 euro notes are the best. Might be difficult to change 50s in some places. I carry just enough money in my wallet to get me through the day and the rest I keep in my money belt. My last trip to Spain cost me about 1800 euros for 38 days. That included lots of beer. (Food, beverages, and accommodation are more expensive in Santiago.
Money belt
Guide book
Book
Lightweight pocket book for wiling away some of the down times
Small Spanish-English dictionary
Contact list
I make a list of people and institutions to contact in an emergency. E.g., next of kin, credit card and banks in case of lost cards, health insurance companies, etc.
Credencial

Advice (or rather Suggestions):

While you are down south, don't miss eating Pate de Cachuela Ibericos!

Plan for a couple of hours at Italica.

Plan an extra rest day in Merida - fantastic!

See the Santa Semana Museum in Caceres.

Get a nice hot soak at the Thermal Baths in Aljucen (5 euros/1.5 hours!)

Albergue Touristico in Zafra rocks, as does the Albergue Turistico in Torremejia.

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hope you enjoy your camino. I did the Via de la Plata as my first one 3 years ago and am now a completely hooked caminante. There are some amazing experiences in store for you. It's not just the glories of places like Zamora and Salamanca, but smaller delights in unheard of spots - the minaret-steeple in Galisteo, the ham museum in Monesterio, the charitable warmth of the albergues of Alcuéscar and Fuenterroble, a dark Zurbarán in lovely Zafra, the circuito romano at the baths in Baños de Montemayor,the templar tower at Mombuey, the longest bridge in the Roman Empire, Visigothic traces, the last monks keeping the monastery at Oseira alive, a palace where Montezuma's descendants lived in Cácares and so much more. Not to mention some magnificent countryside, good food, decent wine and mostly friendly locals.

One practical point you might like to check if you are leaving Seville on 1 April: if you are walking at my (average) speed, you will arrive at Cácares at the start of the semana Santa, and Salamanca at Easter, and accommodation in both places might be difficult at that time.

Alan thank you
You should be a camino tour guide
I will look into the Easter celebrations you mentioned.
Thanks david

H
Hello,

Aiming to arrive in Seville last week in April about the 22nd. Walking the whole route to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.

Buen Camino.
Hi, I'm planning to walk VDLP, I arrive UK 5/5/14 so starting around 7-8. worried I'll be the only person around, pity you're just that bit ahead of me. Maybe see you in SDC after Funisterre.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
H

Hi, I'm planning to walk VDLP, I arrive UK 5/5/14 so starting around 7-8. worried I'll be the only person around, pity you're just that bit ahead of me. Maybe see you in SDC after Funisterre.
Hello,
Once I have had a good look around Seville for a few days should be able to set off late April. We are all thinking we may be walking alone but you will never finish alone unless you want to. Will look out for you on the way, maybe in SDC, Muxia or Finisterre. I always finish in Finisterre its logical, the end.
Keith

Hello,
Once I have had a good look around Seville for a few days should be able to set off late April. We are all thinking we may be walking alone but you will never finish alone unless you want to. Will look out for you on the way, maybe in SDC, Muxia or Finisterre. I always finish in Finisterre its logical, the end.
Keith

Hi Keith,
All the very best for your pilgrimage. I'll look out for you too, not sure I can walk as fast as I did last year, on reflection I should have gone much slower. I walked 74 days straight and didn't really rest. For this pleasure I got plantar fasciitis which I've only just overcome. Hope to meet up with you. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
H

Hi Angela, I arrive in Madrid on May 5th and also plan to start on the 7th or 8th. Nice to know there will be some one else on the trail. I'll be keeping an eye out for you.
Best, Geoff

My flight and hotel are booked.
Arrive Seville lunch time on 30th march
Begin Via de la Plata on the 1st April.
Any other caminante's who will be starting around that time, hope to see you on my travels.
Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No worries, in March and April you will not be alone! All the Albergue owners/Hospitaleros have told me that March and April are big months.

I have been on the Plata now one week and there are three if us here in Villafranca de los Barros. We were 5 but one moved on ahead and one stayed behind. Another pilgrim stayed with us in Fuente de Cantos but he has slept outside the last two nights.

If you wish to read about updates I have been posting a 'live' thread Vía de la Plata in February.

Buen Camino!

I'll be two days behind you, David. Perhaps our paths will cross. If not...happy travels.
Larry

Larry
You look like a man of camino experience
So I will look out for you and pick up some tips hopefully
David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It only takes about five days to become a "man of camino experience," so if we meet we will be on equal footing and can swap tales over a couple cold ones.
Larry
Larry

Hi Angela, I arrive in Madrid on May 5th and also plan to start on the 7th or 8th. Nice to know there will be some one else on the trail. I'll be keeping an eye out for you.
Best, Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I'll be staying at Trianna. I'm happy to know there may be another pilgrim to occasionally enjoy a meal with at the end of the day. Here's hoping we have a similar pace so we can do this. Look forward to meeting up.

Hi Angela
1st not set in stone.
Booking flight and hotel today.
Will keep you posted.

Hi David,
I've put my start date on the Forum Calendar and am hoping to see others leaving on the 8th. I enjoy walking alone but much prefer to enjoy a meal with others at the end of the day and share stories, rather than being alone. I have previously been a fast walker but last year walked 1600km and got plantar fasciitis, so will be taking it easier this year. Here's hoping we meet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Angela. I've yet to book a place in Sevilla, but things are settling down now and I can finally put some time into getting organized. Will stay in touch. Sounds like there might be a nice group of folks walking around the same time, and I agree, it is nice to have others around to socialize with after walking alone all day.

Hi Larry
Your recommend of the Atmos 50 was spot on.
Been wearing for the last week with 7 kl walking 15-20 km a day and no problems so far
Big thanks
David

Hi Larry
Your recommend of the Atmos 50 was spot on.
Been wearing for the last week with 7 kl walking 15-20 km a day and no problems so far
Big thanks
David
Glad you like it. I've used it on all my trips to Spain and it's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

Buen Camino.
will be arriving in Sevilla 24 April and starting out 25th. Planning to walk all the way, either to Santiago or up to Gijon on Camino Norte
We will look out for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Aarrggghhh three weeks till touchdown and my Spanish is terrible.
Any suggestions ?
Hi Dave,

Why the panic, they are only humans like us after all. You need a very basic few phrases how to find a bed, a meal and a beer. Although not always in that order. Just get out there and do it simple.
Buen Camino from Wales.

Any suggestions ?

I agree with Keith, just learn a handful of words. Saying "bed please" or "beer please" most likely will give you some result.

(Remember how kids are doing? They can play with kids from other countries without any word in common and still can play together well ;) )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Easy, fun phrases probably will cover most bases -- but not if you require assistance beyond directions to sleep, eat, drink, or the next waymark.

In addition, the ability to converse with people who live along the way and pilgrims who do not speak a language you have can solve problems that may arise, as well as open doors.

I used Google Translate on my iPhone to communicate in Spanish, Portuguese, German, French, and Korean. Two hospitaleros found it so helpful they had me load it on their smartphone and desktop computers.

It's free and easy to use.

Any suggestions ?
Welcome to the world of the linguistically challenged. Not only is my Spanish terrible but my hearing is even worse. Hearing aid in one ear and a cochlear implant in the other. I once met a woman on the Camino Frances who was totally deaf. Somehow you get by.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Google Translate app is designed to help overcome limitations such as lost or diminished sight or hearing.

For example, one can speak a phrase into the iPhone and translate the phrase in written words, spoken words, or both -- allowing both parties to see the text, hear the text, or both -- as may best suit the individual.

I cannot overstate the utility of this app on my camino (SJPdP to Finisterre) which concluded Saturday.

Any suggestions ?
David, I'm also Spanish challenged so I decided to build a simple phrase and word reminder (cheat sheet) which I'll keep handy in my pocket. I have the Google translate on my iPad, but the pocket sheet will encourage me to learn a bit more Spanish...or so I hope:) Will try to learn as much as possible before I leave home, then smile a lot...always seems to open doors.

Thank you for the information about the Google Translate app, High Endeavours and Leaning Forward. You prompted me to finally exchange my aging Blackberry for a shiny new smartphone. Having limited language skills and hearing impairment can be awkward and a bit stressful at times. Not sure how much I will use it, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I will be able to communicate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Roamer35,

Of course it would be wonderful to be fluent in Spanish, but most pilgrims get along. After all on the camino you don't enter a bar to buy a used car so the absolute need for a wide vocabulary is minimal. When all else fails there is always pantomime! For an earlier Forum account of how some pilgrims deal with menu translations see >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/menu-translations.19368/.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi all
terribly pun
Hi all
Hi David! My best advice: Take it easy! Take frequent breaks, sit down, look around, enjoy and be aware of competitive tendencies, recognize them, forgive them and let go. Always a bed to be found along the way. No worries. Water. A piece of chocolate. Some fruit. I walked April and May 2012, best walk ever. Now we r two. We start the 31st of March from Seville, hope to c u on the paths! Buen camino from Mara and Martin

David, I'm also Spanish challenged so I decided to build a simple phrase and word reminder (cheat sheet) which I'll keep handy in my pocket. I have the Google translate on my iPad, but the pocket sheet will encourage me to learn a bit more Spanish...or so I hope:) Will try to learn as much as possible before I leave home, then smile a lot...always seems to open doors.
I would like to add my recommendation about the Google Translate app. It's not only very easy to use but also another method of learning a bit of Spanish. I've already used it to send a couple emails to Spain. Type in the message in English and out it comes in Spanish. It also works translating Spanish to English.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Best, Geoff
Thank you for the information about the Google Translate app, High Endeavours and Leaning Forward. You prompted me to finally exchange my aging Blackberry for a shiny new smartphone. Having limited language skills and hearing impairment can be awkward and a bit stressful at times. Not sure how much I will use it, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I will be able to communicate.
Iv also swapped the blackberry for a smartphone, cant work out how to spell checker on tho but have the translator so thats all that matters

Ah the camino is calling me
Fifteen miles a day in the Peak District has got me used to the exercise and the calories I need to replace.
One week and a bit to go.
Is there such thing as too much information
Blogs, websites, forums
Sometimes I feel the slight feeling of trepidation that you get from something new and unknown is slipping away
So many vivid pictures painted of days putting one foot in front of the other.
If I complete my camino it will be the biggest single personal challenge I have undertaken
I hope I feel something new with my final footfalls in Santiago
I am under no illusion.

If I complete my camino it will be the biggest single personal challenge I have undertaken
I am sure you will.

I hope I feel something new with my final footfalls in Santiago- I am under no illusion.
You have no idea what you will feel...;)

Many cry when they reach Santiago. Others feel saddened. There is tremendous amounts of emotion. As I stood in the front of the Cathedral, I was sad, because all of a sudden, I realised that this fantastic journey was over. Too soon. I walked to fast. Will not do the same mistake this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all

Hi David
I arrive in Seville on 31 March and intend starting on 2 April . . perhaps we can walk together? I will be staying at the Triana Backpackers. My contact is colin.jacobson@gmail.com. I would welcome hearing from anyone starting around that time. Thanks . .

Hi mountainman
It would be good to begin the VDLP with another freshman though i plan to start walking on the 1st
Fools day i know
I'm a photographer so i could be a bit stop start.
I will pop over to triana on the 31st see if you are kicking about.
David

Hi David
I arrive in Seville on 31 March and intend starting on 2 April . . perhaps we can walk together? I will be staying at the Triana Backpackers. My contact is colin.jacobson@gmail.com. I would welcome hearing from anyone starting around that time. Thanks . .
Hi mountainman
It would be good to begin the VDLP with another freshman though i plan to start walking on the 1st
Fools day i know
David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi David . . thanks for your response.

I will only get to the Triana around 5:30pm or so. I am coming from Australia via Barcelona and will probably need a day to recover from the travelling before starting. But if we don't meet before, we will probably catch up along the way.
Colin

Hi David
I arrive in Seville on the evening of the 2nd -- will probably to Triana Backpackers around 9:30 p.m. Would be happy to have a walking partner. This is my second time on the VdlP. Did it in September-October through Astorga. Plan on taking the Ourense route this trip.
Larry Green

Hi Larry
Do you intend to start the next day . . 3rd April? I could start a day later than planned as it would be good to have a walking companion.
Colin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Larry
Do you intend to start the next day . . 3rd April? I could start a day later than planned as it would be good to have a walking companion.
Colin
Yes I do. Crack of dawn. Want to stop at Italica, which I understand is good for a couple hours. (It was closed last time I passed by.) Seville is an interesting place to spend an extra day if you're so inclined. I took the one-hour cruise up the river and back last time and the cathedral is an endless source of wonder. Hope to see you then. Larry Green l.green@sasktel.net

Yes I do. Crack of dawn. Want to stop at Italica, which I understand is good for a couple hours. (It was closed last time I passed by.) Seville is an interesting place to spend an extra day if you're so inclined. I took the one-hour cruise up the river and back last time and the cathedral is an endless source of wonder. Hope to see you then. Larry Green l.green@sasktel.net

Thanks Larry . . hope to see you in about ten days.
Colin

Hi mountainman
Fools day i know
David
Hello David,
You'll soon be on your way. This time next week you will have lost it an no longer be a virgin. Chastity is highly over rated anyway. I'll be two days behind you and might not catch up, but if you see an old guy with a blue Atmos 50 pack and a little Canadian flag sewn on it that will probably be me. Happy trails.
Larry

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Larry
Feel like a kid
Getting excited now
Your packing list has been a big help
We may well meet up as I have to lose some days due to meeting my brother for his 50th on or around 16/17 May in Santiago
David

€83,-
Buen camino David, I will be putting my best foot forward out of the door of Triana on 7th or 8th May. Can't wait. Like a true pilgrim of old, I am slowly getting all my bits and pieces in order, leaving my job and packing up my house etc. When people ask what i will be doing next, it is a joy to say I'm going off walking the camino for 6-7 weeks, and will decide what comes up after that.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and couldn't wait to get to the end to see if any of you managed to meet up on the trail. I was disappointed to find that no one has updated the thread after the journey ....

If some of you above read this can you tell us some tales as it's almost 12 months since you all started.

Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, sadly enough I didn't meet anyone with a forum batch, neither did anyone react to mine. I had the patch on one of my saddle bags, I thought that someone would be shouting after I'd passed, but no.

But we have met some really nice people along the way, some of them walking as long stages as we were cycling. The hilly parts towards the end of the way were really slowing us down.

So many lovely people, especially Pepi, a lady 80+ years who was calling me guapo :D There were many "oldtimers" who were doing really well, none of them complaining. That shed some different light on us two whining about bad knees and cold weather, haha.

I met and walked with Dave and Colin .We were blessed with dry weather 2 days rain + drizzle for half day .Dave and I reached Santiago, unfortunately Colin went home early due to knee problem. Met wonderful people both pilgrims and locals. I also walked to Muxia.

Thank you for updating your trips ... very much appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Im getting excited, 17 days before I leave Ottawa Ontario Canada to fly to Paris, starting my first camino on April 4 the day I turn 50...
Happy for you! I'm from Toronto and walked the CF last summer for my 50th as well.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back