• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virgin with questions

graham83

Hey,

I'm taking off in March 2010 for my first pilgrimage ever, going this one solo as well. As im sure everyone was at this stage I have a few questions.

1. What is the best info book or guide book with general and accommodation info?

2. I'll need to ship my bag ahead to Spain, any recommendations as to method or company to hold the bag safely and cheaply?

3. As I am expecting poor weather, what are some advice from the pros for dealing with the wet and cold?

4. Ive been hearing a variety of costs during the hike. What is the best guess on how much one will spend per day? (30 Euros is what i heard was average)

I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but that will do for now.

Cheers,
Graham

Victoria, BC, Canada

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello there, Graham, and welcome to the Forum!

There are many sections in this Forum that can answer some of the questions you've posted. We have a few members that are very knowledgeable on the matters of the Camino and I'm certain that they will help out with your queries. Keep researching and gathering information!

!Buen Camino! :arrow:

hi Graham,
I'm thinking of doing the walk in the Spring as well. I am from Southern California, US. Just down the road from you lol. It will be my first walk as well. Where are you starting from?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
graham83 said:
Hey,

I'm taking off in March 2010 for my first pilgrimage ever, going this one solo as well. As I'm sure everyone was at this stage I have a few questions.

1. What is the best info book or guide book with general and accommodation info?

2. I'll need to ship my bag ahead to Spain, any recommendations as to method or company to hold the bag safely and cheaply?

3. As I am expecting poor weather, what are some advice from the pros for dealing with the wet and cold?

4. Ive been hearing a variety of costs during the hike. What is the best guess on how much one will spend per day? (30 Euros is what i heard was average)

I'm sure there will be more questions to come, but that will do for now.

Cheers,
Graham

Victoria, BC, Canada

1 Generally if you are only taking one guide book the Brierley one is the best, personally I would take his map and the CSJ guide but that's just me.

2 If you are shipping stuff you want after the journey Ivar the administrator of this site will hold it for you - see elsewhere.

3 I am surprised at a Canadian asking us how to deal with cold weather! I would say in March the mountains could still be dangerous on the other hand you may be lucky and have sun all the way. You do not have to walk the same distance every day and if the weather is particularly bad shorten your day. When crossing the Pyrenees take the advice of the locals and if they say use the road route follow it. Layers are the best way of dealing with the cold and wet, so get a rain proof shell or poncho and then use fleece or wool if you prefer under it.

4 30 Euro is a very basic cost not leaving you much spare room in your budget in case you get some illness or foot problem and have to stay in a hostel/hotel a few days to get over it. I find it better to budget a little higher and have something in hand in case of problems.

Buen Camino

William

I'm glad I came upon this particular post. I plan on starting in March too. I've been searching but cannot find anything on the weather from SJPdP to Roncevalles in mid to late March. any suggestions?

Barry

BHfmSanDiego said:
I'm glad I came upon this particular post. I plan on starting in March too. I've been searching but cannot find anything on the weather from SJPdP to Roncevalles in mid to late March. any suggestions? Barry
Sil has just put a post up on her blog re winter walking, http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/walking-in-winter.html and she has quite a few quotes on it from people describing conditions in March- April. You might be surprised at how bad some of them could be!!! She also quotes Rebekah from Moratinos who had this to say:
"Truth is, anyone who takes the route from Roncesvalles before May is running the risk of slogging through puddles and mud, snow or rain. I did it in April, and had ankle-deep mud to contend with, as well as driving rain."

I'm not trying to put you off: people do the Camino in winter/early spring and love it. But you may as well be realistic about some of the conditions you might encounter!!! :D
Buen Camino
Margaret

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks Margaret, this is the kind of information I'm seeking. I don't want my Camino to turn into some kind of winter endurance expedition. I figured the best info I could get would be from those that have experienced it.

Hi there,
We walked in the Route Napoleon in early April this year we got up to the Cruceiro turn off but the snow was too heavy and, on the advice of a shepherd bringing some sheep and two benighted pilgrims off the mountain, we turned and descended back down to the valley on the Arneguy rd. So we ended up trudging up the valley route in rain/sleet/snow after all which was..... 'character building'!
I must say I have nothing but the fondest memories of Roncevalles and arriving there safe and sound felt like paradise.
Give it a lash but take on board any local advice. If the weather is tricky try to pair up with another pilgrim in SJPP so you can make sure that you have both 'checked in' on the other side.
Bonne route
Nell

graham83 said:
Hey,
I'm taking off in March 2010 for my first pilgrimage ever, .........
Welcome Graham. You do not say which route you are thinking of following. Presume it is the Francés.
Terry walked the Norte from Santander, starting in late April this year, and there was still snow low down on the mountains west of Santander until into May. It cleared in time for him to follow the Primitivo, otherwise he would have continued on the Norte for safety.
Buen Camino and safe walking where-ever you start from
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone for all your information! I'm going to be taking the Frances route starting form St Jean PdP.
Looking at my dates, I'm thinking about pushing things back to late march start date or even very early April. I'll try my luck for some snow at the start and some sunshine at the end!

I'll be coming from a few weeks of boarding in the Alps before this hike so hopefully i'll be used to the snow!

Ciao
Graham

You'll be crossing three mountain ranges and could find snow in all the high places, especially at Foncebadon and O Cebreiro so don't post your winter woolies ahead once you leave the Pyrenees!
A South African pilgrim walked from 8th April and encountered snow from Pamplona.
You might have the best weather in the beginning. This year a pilgrim started in March and had 18 straight days of sunshine (and then snow, rain, wind and mud towards the end).
The weather is the one thing you can't be sure of but if you take safety precautions and have suitable clothing you'll be OK.
Sil

PS: Are you taking your snowboard? That could be fun!

I will be bringing my snowboard overseas but not on the Camino. I'll probably lock it up at the airport somewhere or ship it home. it would make the decent from the mountains easy! lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fleece hat, gloves, and jacket.

Waterproof boots

With regards to rain: you REALLY are gonna want one of those long ponchos that covers your pack, and has long sleeves. I started with a lightweight rain jacket, and that was my biggest packing mistake. Ended up buying a long poncho and it saved me from being wet and cold :)

I kept track of what I spent every day on the camino (this was back in spring 2007), and most days I spent 10-15 euros. I'd say 13 euros is the average. It really depends on how much you eat, and how often you eat out as opposed to making food yourself. I can't possibly imagine how it is even *possible* to spend 30 euros a day unless you stay in casa rurals or hotels every night.

Costs (again, from 2007): Alburgue, about 5 euros a night. Cafe con leche, about a euro, probably less. bocadillo (best thing for lunch!) is 2-3 euros. Pilgrim menu is usually about 7 euros. You can find food in a grocery store/market to make dinner for several people for under a euro each if you want.

On 20th April 2008, I met some people in Los Arcos who had crossed the Pyrenees a few days before and had come across two American pilgrims in a snowstorm, right up at the top near the Spanish border. The woman had slipped and broken her leg and the guy was just clutching onto her. They were completely panic stricken, ill prepared, freezing and had to be rescued. The Route Napoleon is a high and quite remote way if the weather turns bad. The weather along the lower stretches was very pleasant with some quite warm days from Pamplona to Burgos at that time (end of April).

I started the Camino Frances in SJPP during the first week of April in 2004.
The weather forcast was for snow, and the recommendation from the Camino Office in SJPP was to take the route through Valcarlos, otherwise called "The road" (but it is not all road) It is the same distance to Roncesvalles, but more sheltered by trees and slightly lower elevation.

My recommendation is follow the advice from the Camino Office.
They'll give you a weather forecast when you check in and get your first stamp on your credincial.

David, Victoria, Canada

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back