• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VIRTUAL Camino Francés

Simon B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
There have been some mentions recently about virtual activities. This has inspired me to start a virtual Camino Frances with my wife and two other couples who have not done a 'real' Camino. We live in Somerset and one set of friends in Essex and the other in Cornwall. We will virtually arrive in SJPP tomorrow and start our virtual Camino on Wednesday. I am the 'team leader' and will use daily emails to coordinate. Couples will walk each day any distance they wish I will then take an average and mark our progress in the Brierley Guide - probably not to coincide with a virtual albergue but never mind we will stay in the closest one. I can spice things up by adding a commentary and photographs from my real Camino in 2016. This will provide us with some distraction in these difficult days. And to give us something to look forward to we plan to visit SJPP, when travel restrictions are over, and drive along the Camino to SDC to collect our virtual compostellas - and if I can persuade my friends we will walk to Finisterre.

Buen Virtual Camino and I hope you all stay safe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There have been some mentions recently about virtual activities. This has inspired me to start a virtual Camino Frances with my wife and two other couples who have not done a 'real' Camino. We live in Somerset and one set of friends in Essex and the other in Cornwall. We will virtually arrive in SJPP tomorrow and start our virtual Camino on Wednesday. I am the 'team leader' and will use daily emails to coordinate. Couples will walk each day any distance they wish I will then take an average and mark our progress in the Brierley Guide - probably not to coincide with a virtual albergue but never mind we will stay in the closest one. I can spice things up by adding a commentary and photographs from my real Camino in 2016. This will provide us with some distraction in these difficult days. And to give us something to look forward to we plan to visit SJPP, when travel restrictions are over, and drive along the Camino to SDC to collect our virtual compostellas - and if I can persuade my friends we will walk to Finisterre.

I am doing the same. So far I have reached Estella.

Feel free to keep us posted on your progress! (It is an interesting challenge to promote and document a virtual camino, as I am finding out on my Sanabres thread.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Simon for opening this discusion on unfulfilled desires. I've planed to start from home, (Slovenia) and Venice Airport to Irun on the 1 st of april. Then by train by Bayone to S Jean, where I would start the Frances. I've been a few times on the Camino on different routes with my wife and we enjoyed it every time very much. You colul say that we are infected by the Camino-Virus. :) Till now I never had a whole month of time to walk the entire Frances. As I'm retired from last october I was eagerly anticipating this tour. But this time another realy dangerous virus stopped me. Well I hope not for a long time. My avio company did not returned me the money of the canceled flight but a cupon of the same value to use till the end of this year. Hopefully I would try in october. In the main time I will go on a virtual tour like you and maybe we could exchange some impressions. Buon camino! Zdenko

I started my virtual Camino on Saturday with the aid of Walking4fun.com. In splendid isolation but lucky enough to be on a small holding, I’ve spent the days walking backwards and forwards, feeding a bonfire with tree tops that are too small for storing for next winter’s wood burner. In four days, I am now 2.5 km away from Pamplona. I’m amazed how far I’ve walked already!

I decided today am going to do a Virtual Camino starting Tuesday after Easter from SJPP. I have walked the Frances twice before 2016 and 2019 so have lots of photos and memories to inspire me. I will use my Garmin to work out my distances but will try to do roughly 25kms a day. As I will have to keep up normal home duties like cleaning and mowing these will be including in daily kms. I will have a fellow pilgrim (my red Kelpie) so I will be safe in early morning walks but unfortunately she lacks a bit in conversation. I will cheat a bit with the back pack weight, a comfy (bedbug free) bed, hot showers and other creature comforts but it will get me away from my uncontrollable fixation with the food in the fridge and the ongoing CV updates. Am signed up/registered for a possible recall to Nursing if the need arises too so it plays on my mind a bit. If I find it not realistic enough I will throw in some of Jeff Crawley's great suggestions (they are so true Jeff).
Am going to start in an authentic way with a 24hr on a virtual couch flight from Aus- just eating food, watching movies and drinking tinto, with occasional naps and leg stretches near the back door to stop legs swelling and clots........any other suggestions?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What a wonderful idea, I was to travel from Ireland next month and walk from Astorga to Sarria. How do I follow your virtual daily walk,”?
Shona

I have now reached Hornillios de Campo on my Virtual Camino. Like many I am not aiming for anywhere in particular in any given day, but count my miles and then map it out. Crossing the Pyrenees , I chose the steepest road I could find to begin my journey. It has got easier and although we are only supposed to be out for a certain length of time, I sometimes stretch it a bit . Therefore this Camino is certainly going to take me quite a bit longer than the real one. Having reached Hornillios I remember a large group of cyclists singing a dishing out doughnuts to everyone.
Every stop brings a memory. Good luck with your journey.

Love it! I did the Camino in 2016 as well, left on April 25, 2016, so on that date this year, I started doing a daily walk at home and thought I'd keep track of my kms with a goal of "Walking the Camino" once again.

Does anyone know if there's a online map that allows to you track your kms as you go - ie type in how kms you walked, and it shows were you are on the map?

ETA: I found Walking for Fun site mentioned above and have started keeping track there. :)

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Currently in Puente la Reina, very quiet out there - much nicer without all those grubby Pilgrims rushing for a bed! ;)

1588107959120.png

I'm watching Full Videos of this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_qXVVpaxdCoYL3YveKf750Atgxqj2qls

A pilgrim captured all his way to Santiago. 5-hour walks per day (Parts are cutted out). It captures imho the feeling really good. If you want the full virtual experience, put a backpack on and walk on your treadmill. ;)

Or just do it like i do and eating cakes while lying on the couch watching it while thinking about the memories of every village he passes.

If people prefer a timelapsed Camino (30mins to 1hr per Day): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRFjODAj_lrjNDNfYJg2rNF5WsCko4c9J

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can't believe what a kick I'm getting from this!View attachment 74081
Me too! What username are you on the site? I'm Canterbury Pilgrim. Me and my friend Paula from British Columbia are slowly making our way west just heading out from Puente la Reina.

Where are you along the way - I find some of their metrics confusing!

Ultreia

Me too! What username are you on the site? I'm Canterbury Pilgrim. Me and my friend Paula from British Columbia are slowly making our way west just heading out from Puente la Reina.

Where are you along the way - I find some of their metrics confusing!

Ultreia
I will arrive in Roncesvalles either today or tomorrow! My username is JST on walking4fun.com. Will look for you and never know, may catch up to you and my province-mate, Paula!

I will arrive in Roncesvalles either today or tomorrow! My username is JST on walking4fun.com. Will look for you and never know, may catch up to you and my province-mate, Paula!
Brilliant! We'll look out for when you zoom on by! See you out there!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Today I'm 42.2 km into my Virtual Camino. I should be pulling into Zubiri tomorrow. I will celebrate by making a jug of Sangria because that's what I remember doing when we were there 4 years ago.

Attachments

• 2016-04-27 17.29.47.jpeg
    2016-04-27 17.29.47.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Today I'm 42.2 km into my Virtual Camino. I should be pulling into Zubiri tomorrow. I will celebrate by making a jug of Sangria because that's what I remember doing when we were there 4 years ago.
Another one from BC! Are you on Walking4Fun too? Currently at 103km so halfway between Puente and Estella. Going so slowly I earned a "snail badge"

1588578355479.png

Smile and wave as you pass me by!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Buen Camino, Simon! A virtual Camino is a good thing to do when we can’t walk an actual one. My husband and I joined Camino for Good virtual camino and started walking on January 15 and are hoping to arrive in Santiago de Compostela six months later. So far we are on track to arrive in April. I am almost at Villamayor de Monjardin which I am excited to visit again. I was there in April, 2019. This blog post tells about the virtual camino and future plans... :)

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buen Camino, Simon! A virtual Camino is a good thing to do when we can’t walk an actual one. My husband and I joined Camino for Good virtual camino and started walking on January 15 and are hoping to arrive in Santiago de Compostela six months later. So far we are on track to arrive in April. I am almost at Villamayor de Monjardin which I am excited to visit again. I was there in April, 2019. This blog post tells about the virtual camino and future plans... :)
Here are links to my actual Camino at home, mixed with some photos of where we would be if we were there in Spain... Such fun to revive memories of 2015 and 2019. Here is yesterday’s virtual/actual Camino: https://www.facebook.com/groups/376228543514435/permalink/440636760406946/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the virtual badge! Dave is a little further along the trail, but I ended up in Villamayor de Monjardin. My 9 km virtual Camino was once again into Dean Park, close to home on Vancouver Island: Owl Hollow where there were no owls and Cougar Hollow where there were (thankfully) no cougars. At least I made it all the way to Villamayor de Monjardin with Susan, and what a beautiful walk it was! We are in a room for six here at Albergue Oasis Trails. We just finished a delicious communal vegetarian dinner and, if tomorrow’s buffet breakfast is as tasty, we are in for another treat! I have full intentions to climb to St. Steven’s Castle on the peak behind the town tomorrow morning, in spite of my blisters. The castle is believed to have been built by the Romans, reinforced by the Arabs, and conquered by the Christians. It was once poetically compared to a stone ship that had run aground on the clouds. That’s the plan for tomorrow before heading towards Los Argos. Now, though, I’m heading to the cozy, warm room next door for tea and meditation... Hasta la vista! — with David Reano and 2 others.1612105932308.png1612105962507.png1612105986470.png

Thank you for the virtual badge! Dave is a little further along the trail, but I ended up in Villamayor de Monjardin. My 9 km virtual Camino was once again into Dean Park, close to home on Vancouver Island: Owl Hollow where there were no owls and Cougar Hollow where there were (thankfully) no cougars. At least I made it all the way to Villamayor de Monjardin with Susan, and what a beautiful walk it was! We are in a room for six here at Albergue Oasis Trails. We just finished a delicious communal vegetarian dinner and, if tomorrow’s buffet breakfast is as tasty, we are in for another treat! I have full intentions to climb to St. Steven’s Castle on the peak behind the town tomorrow morning, in spite of my blisters. The castle is believed to have been built by the Romans, reinforced by the Arabs, and conquered by the Christians. It was once poetically compared to a stone ship that had run aground on the clouds. That’s the plan for tomorrow before heading towards Los Argos. Now, though, I’m heading to the cozy, warm room next door for tea and meditation... Hasta la vista! — with David Reano and 2 others.View attachment 92536View attachment 92537View attachment 92538
So jealous! My practical choices are either an over crowded and flat seafront promenades or the local woods where every footpath squelches with ankle deep mud due to the almost non-stop rain we've been having.
With you in spirit as I start on the Portuguese.

Ultreia!

So jealous! My practical choices are either an over crowded and flat seafront promenades or the local woods where every footpath squelches with ankle deep mud due to the almost non-stop rain we've been having.
With you in spirit as I start on the Portuguese.

Ultreia!
Oh, I should have shown a photo of our deep mud! I worried about how waterproof my GORTEX boots are. :-( Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back