• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virtual Camino Frances

Kazibar

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to SDC Sept 2015, Baiona to SDC May 2017, SDC to Muxia Sept 2018, Few bits VdP Sept 2019
I have recently been diagnosed with advanced cancer, which means my Camino perambulations have come to an abrupt end at least for now. I would like to walk as part of my recovery as its about the only exercise that works with my chemo. Inspired by Phil Volker, I want to use my step counter to walk the Camino virtually, whilst circling my local park. Its what cloistered nuns did in the Middle Ages and I feel I am somewhat cloistered.

When I came home from my first Camino in 2015, I found a website that allowed you to see where you were, had pictures of what you were passing as you counted steps. But I can't find it. World Walks have a Camino challenge, but it only has 9 break points, wheras this had (on the first day), Honto, Orisson, the cirgin statue, the food truck etc etc.

Can you help me find it please????

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kazibar - I rather love your positive attitude! Can't help you with your specific search but there are Camino overlays for Google Earth that you can zoom in on, get eye-level views, close ups - photos, etc - here is one - hope it helps xx

Attachments

• Camino_Frances_1.kmz
    303.9 KB · Views: 125
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have recently been diagnosed with advanced cancer, which means my Camino perambulations have come to an abrupt end at least for now. I would like to walk as part of my recovery as its about the only exercise that works with my chemo. Inspired by Phil Volker, I want to use my step counter to walk the Camino virtually, whilst circling my local park. Its what cloistered nuns did in the Middle Ages and I feel I am somewhat cloistered.

When I came home from my first Camino in 2015, I found a website that allowed you to see where you were, had pictures of what you were passing as you counted steps. But I can't find it. World Walks have a Camino challenge, but it only has 9 break points, wheras this had (on the first day), Honto, Orisson, the cirgin statue, the food truck etc etc.

I have seen some of John Sikora's videos that record sections of the Camino.. They are a faster than walking pace, but show the Camino unfolding at walking pace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kazibar, sorry to hear of your diagnosis, best wishes for a full recovery but in the meantime I fully support your "virtual Camino". Not having been able to get out on a decent walk myself over the winter I've been doing some virtual walking myself using my Compostelas as triggers.

There's a long tradition of pilgrimages "on the spot" look at the labyrinth in Chartres Cathedral for instance:

I've been putting together some Google Earth videos from Sarria to SdC over the past few days for two friends who are walking it in June and intend to include bars and cafes as waymarkers. They look like the ones David has supplied above but with markers (blue scallops for the overnight stops and coffee cups for the bars) as you "fly" along. I've saved then as mp4 files.

Not sure if this would be of use but willing to share if you'd like? When do you intend to start "walking"? I could have a go at some more starting at SJPP if you like.

Either way - Buen Camino!

Hi Kazibar - I rather love your positive attitude! Can't help you with your specific search but there are Camino overlays for Google Earth that you can zoom in on, get eye-level views, close ups - photos, etc - here is one - hope it helps xx
Wish I'd had this one earlier - would have saved me doing a similar thing over the past two days (Sarria to SdC).

For those not familiar with Google Earth trails, open David's file in Google Earth Pro (free download) and look to the column on the left:

Pick on the section you are interested in and then click the icon bottom right (three circles linked and a right pointing black arrowhead circled) - warning it can be a bit stomach churning depending on the twists, turns and speed of the flight!

Hey Kazibar
If you're going to walk a virtual camino, you'll need a virtual pilgrim's passport. And for that you'll need to get stamps. Happy to send scanned stamps off my passports for wherever you rock up each virtual everning, if that's something you'd like to have. Sure others would chip in too - that's what we do on the camino :)
Best wishes, tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
T
Thank you, my friend: I am "walking" right now!

Hey Kazibar
If you're going to walk a virtual camino, you'll need a virtual pilgrim's passport. And for that you'll need to get stamps. Happy to send scanned stamps off my passports for wherever you rock up each virtual everning, if that's something you'd like to have.
Tom, that's a wonderful offer but did you know that there is a website where these are collected? Click on the UK flag icon at this site:
http://www.lossellosdelcamino.com/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rick
I didn't know about that! Handy. But unfortunately my browser won't connect to that link as it says the website is not set up securely.
Very odd. The link says to use the unsecure protocol http not the secure https protocol (you wouldn't be passing important data back and forth after all.)
Maybe the browser was setup not to connect with http?

Hey Kazibar
If you're going to walk a virtual camino, you'll need a virtual pilgrim's passport. And for that you'll need to get stamps. Happy to send scanned stamps off my passports for wherever you rock up each virtual everning, if that's something you'd like to have. Sure others would chip in too - that's what we do on the camino :)
Best wishes, tom
Beautiful.

Kazibar, if you have anyone who knows how to access history on your machine, you could find the website, I bet. I so wish I could wave a wand for you. Both against the b.... cancer, and to find the website again. Once again, technicians can have virtual control of your machine if you give permission. Maybe someone in your close circle can organise that for you... meantime, enjoy the virtual links you are getting from others. Xx

Kazibar we support you on your Camino both the real and the virtual.

Remembering brings tears of gratitude. We had a local guy on Vashon Island who desired doing the Camino but ended up stopped by advanced incurable cancer. (He appeared in the newspaper as his story spread.)
He had posted a map of the Camino Frances on his wall at home and each day walked a bit in his yard. Depending on his strength and treatments, the walks varied in length. And each mile was marked on map.

When he reached a point and was given a break from treatments, friends and family got him to one section of the Camino in Spain (can't remember which) and their support continued in both reality and virtuality as he stepped on the path.

His walks in his yard were as inspirational as on the Camino. We rooted for him on his walks at home, for in those moments, he was not a cancer patient but a pilgrim

When I came home from my first Camino in 2015, I found a website that allowed you to see where you were, had pictures of what you were passing as you counted steps.
I don't think this is what you want but it may be close enough. Just an hour ago I blundered onto a YouTube channel that had a SJPdP to Muxia camino recorded. And the videos listed are long. A seven and a half hour trip along the Route Napoleon was recorded in a five hour video for example. I noticed that one day had almost seven hours of video although there are some of just a few hours. The videos were made (or uploaded) by BK Lee recording a trip made between September 18 and October 23, 2018. They are listed at the webpage linked to below with day 1 at the bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRj1BI6Cyk4HSezaGGfgTQ

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Hi Kaz,

First, I am praying a positive outcome for your fight and recovery.

Now, I have been looking for what you need and have not found anything yet. And thinking about it, can you imagine how popular it would be if it did exist? So many here would be accessing it all the time for their Camino fix, including me.

So I started thinking, "I need to introduce you to Efren Gonzalez." Now, Efren is a real hiker. I found him on Youtube in 2017 while he was walking the Camino Frances, about 13 months before my planned return. He did daily reports and included drone camera work as well. Then, after it was over, and he went home, he split out all the drone footage and recombined it, by Spanish province, 7 of them. So, just for the Camino Frances alone, his youtube installments can offer about 45 episodes.

Now, last Fall (2018), he did the Via Francigena, Canterbury to Rome. And, you may like this, he is leaving on Mon Mar 11/19 for the Camino Portugues and the Camino Norte.

You can find his Youtube channel at, "Efren."

I hope this is a help.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.