• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virtual Camino

mark stevens

Time of past OR future Camino
back on the Frances in May 2022
During lockdown I have been doing some virtual challenges as I was supposed to be on the Camino Norte in May. I’ve walked Hadrians wall and Route 66 and had some purpose to my days.

Yesterday a new ‘virtual’ challenge was released and to my dismay it was the Camino de Santiago. It looks great and I’m walking it already. It also has a bonus that the medals are really good. Here’s the link

If you want a walking challenge this is great. You can also see where you are on the route every day. It’s not the real thing but in these uncertain times it’s maybe the best we can do

the link gets a discount too 😀

mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
During lockdown I have been doing some virtual challenges as I was supposed to be on the Camino Norte in May. I’ve walked Hadrians wall and Route 66 and had some purpose to my days.

Yesterday a new ‘virtual’ challenge was released and to my dismay it was the Camino de Santiago. It looks great and I’m walking it already. It also has a bonus that the medals are really good. Here’s the link

If you want a walking challenge this is great. You can also see where you are on the route every day. It’s not the real thing but in these uncertain times it’s maybe the best we can do

mark
This works in the same way as www.walking4fun

Thank you for posting! My family's Camino for this month is cancelled so we will be walking our virtual Camino in NYC.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

mark
I have scoured Google to find out EXACTLY what you see on the map's app. I don't care about the medals at all. But when you click on various places on the map, what do you actually see? Do you only see scenes/villages that are miles apart or is there anything close to a 'real time' virtual view of where you are? Or is it just a google map with the roads on it? I know you get postcards but how far apart is each one? Ideally, I'd like to see as much of the scenery as possible as I hike it. Thank you

mark
I have scoured Google to find out EXACTLY what you see on the map's app. I don't care about the medals at all. But when you click on various places on the map, what do you actually see? Do you only see scenes/villages that are miles apart or is there anything close to a 'real time' virtual view of where you are? Or is it just a google map with the roads on it? I know you get postcards but how far apart is each one? Ideally, I'd like to see as much of the scenery as possible as I 'hike' it. Thank you

I have scoured Google to find out EXACTLY what you see on the map's app. I don't care about the medals at all. But when you click on various places on the map, what do you actually see? Do you only see scenes/villages that are miles apart or is there anything close to a 'real time' virtual view of where you are? Or is it just a google map with the roads on it? I know you get postcards but how far apart is each one? Ideally, I'd like to see as much of the scenery as possible as I 'hike' it. Thank you
A quick browse of the site indicates that there are four virtual postcards to unlock on the 26 mile Inca trail. Other than that, the site shows some screens displaying a map view and other dashboards. No "real time" virtual view along the way.

I would not expect more from this than you can see on the site.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok thanks. So in the case of the Inca Trail....about one postcard every 6 or so miles. If that ratio holds for the El Camino then that's fine. I am just having trouble finding many images or videos that show that google map doing anything other than being a map. It has your 'blob' as to where you are, but if you click on a nearby town does it bring that town up? I'm probably asking for too much. I don't have a place to store medals but I would like to have a more immersive feeling of where I'm going. But I guess I'll have to settle for postcards and a plain vanilla Google map.

Hi. I finished it although took a bit longer with work than the 28 days it took me to do the real thing.

The app sends postcards along the way which are ok and they are virtual postcards too. At any stage you can look to see exactly where you are at on the route. It is linked to google maps and street view so just shows you the streetview of the point you are at. If you are expecting to be able to see 'real time' or explore things on route the app doesn't so that and isn't really what it is for. Just walk it, check your progress and see on street view where you are. enjoy the walking

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back