• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virtual/planning thread: Caminos Girona, Catalán, and Aragonés - Part 1: Llançà to Montserrat

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where do we stay here?
Well, this is what Laurie did:
The new part of town has a pensión, the Hostal Santamaría, where I paid 25€ for a single room. http://www.hostalsantamaria.cat/
That link still works, so I assumed it is still open.

If you're walking with friends, there is also:
Celler Colltor (minimum of 5)
And
•Villa Santa Maria D'olo Villa (sleeps up to 18).
•And closer to the Camino and out of town there is Mas Torigues

In town, Cau del Segimon shows up on Googlemap as a b&b, but the webpage is not accessible, so it may be closed.

Well, this is what Laurie did:

That link still works, so I assumed it is still open.

If you're walking with friends, there is also:
Celler Colltor (minimum of 5)
And
•Villa Santa Maria D'olo Villa (sleeps up to 18).
•And closer to the Camino and out of town there is Mas Torigues

In town, Cau del Segimon shows up on Googlemap as a b&b, but the webpage is not accessible, so it may be closed.
For some reason when I looked I found nothing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For some reason when I looked I found nothing.
Perhaps these places are closed? The place Laurie stayed looks open, but it's labled as a cafe.

About 8.5km after Santa María d'Oló, there's a turn-off to the left for this guest house, in what looks like the middle of nowhere:
So about 6.5km farther from the turnoff to Santa María d'Oló
From l'Estany that would be a further 16.5 kms

So there is this possibility of even shorter stages between Vic and Manresa (heads up @AJGuillaume):
Vic - l'Estany (19.9km)
l'Estany - Els Clapers (~16km)
Els Clapers - Navarcles (16.6km)
Navarcles - Manresa (10km)

Day 11 -- Santa María d'Oló to Manresa (35.2 km)
[Laurie's gps said 42? My distance is measured on the map to the middle of the old city, without the short detour to Sant Benet de Bages.]
However long it is, it's a long day. Mostly the walk is in the countryside, but it's an urban slog once we get to Manresa.

After a very quiet 17.2 we come to Artes. Second breakfast anyone? You can find me at the Pessics Pastisseria. The more sophisticated of us can meet up at Espai Artium - Celler Cooperatiu D'Artés. And there are several other options. But it doesn't look like there is anywhere to stay. Onward!

Navarcles is at 25.3 km. Anyone wanting a shorter day has the option to stop here, where there are lodging and services.

If we keep going, a bit off the camino and just on the outskirts of Navarcles is the monastery of Sant Benet de Bages. I don't tire of Romanesque easily, and this looks glorious.

There is a rather pricy hotel there, but it would certainly be comfortable:

Manresa is sprawling, and a stark contrast to what we've enjoyed today of peace and quiet.
It sounds like a bit of a slog into the city, but if we do that today, getting down to the old city and the river, that makes for a quick getaway tomorrow.

Laurie stayed at the youth hostel, www.xanascat.cat
But just a five minute walk from the Cathedral isis St. Ignatius' cave, overlooking the river to the east. Well. It's way more than that at this point - a massive complex of the cave, plus a basilica and Jesuit retreat house. You can stay there, but it would be wise to book, as of course it is popular with Ignatian pilgrims.
It's 35.9km for the day if go as far as the cave.

Last edited:
[Laurie's gps said 42?
I had a look at my tracks and part of the reason is because I didn’t turn the GPS off as I explored the monastery at Navarcles. Though that would only be a km or two. But the rest of the tracks do seem to take an indirect route. I was just following someone else’s tracks on my GPS, and I remember feeling like they were taking a very convoluted route to get to the city. Manresa is a huge sprawling place, though, so getting from the camino to wherever you’re staying could add a few kms.

Navarcles is the monastery of Sant Benet de Bages. I don't tire of Romanesque easily, and this looks glorious.
This is a highly commercialized place (meeting space, restaurant, hotel) in a glorious setting with the church and monastery there as the backdrop. I remember the ticket to visit the monastery was pricey — the website says they are 12€ now. I was allowed to wander freely and not wait for the next guided tour only because of my status as peregrina. I also had a picnic on the lawn and no one told me to leave so I guess that’s within the rules.

One of my nicest memories of Manresa was being in the downtown tapas area and seeing several groups of teens that included a fair number of girls with headscarves. People in the town told me there are many efforts at inclusion of the immigrant community. I don’t know how successful they are — but this anecdotal incident of interaction and friendship was something I hadn’t seen before in other cities in Spain with high Muslim populations.

Perhaps these places are closed? The place Laurie stayed looks open, but it's labled as a cafe.

About 8.5km after Santa María d'Oló, there's a turn-off to the left for this guest house, in what looks like the middle of nowhere:
So about 6.5km farther from the turnoff to Santa María d'Oló
From l'Estany that would be a further 16.5 kms

So there is this possibility of even shorter stages between Vic and Manresa (heads up @AJGuillaume):
Vic - l'Estany (19.9km)
l'Estany - Els Clapers (~16km)
Navarcles - Manresa (10km)

[Laurie's gps said 42? My distance is measured on the map to the middle of the old city, without the short detour to Sant Benet de Bages.]
However long it is, it's a long day. Mostly the walk is in the countryside, but it's an urban slog once we get to Manresa.

After a very quiet 17.2 we come to Artes. Second breakfast anyone? You can find me at the Pessics Pastisseria. The more sophisticated of us can meet up at Espai Artium - Celler Cooperatiu D'Artés. And there are several other options. But it doesn't look like there is anywhere to stay. Onward!

Navarcles is at 25.3 km. Anyone wanting a shorter day has the option to stop here, where there are lodging and services.

If we keep going, a bit off the camino and just on the outskirts of Navarcles is the monastery of Sant Benet de Bages. I don't tire of Romanesque easily, and this looks glorious.

There is a rather pricy hotel there, but it would certainly be comfortable:

Manresa is sprawling, and a stark contrast to what we've enjoyed today of peace and quiet.
It sounds like a bit of a slog into the city, but if we do that today, getting down to the old city and the river, that makes for a quick getaway tomorrow.

Laurie stayed at the youth hostel, www.xanascat.cat
But just a five minute walk from the Cathedral isis St. Ignatius' cave, overlooking the river to the east. Well. It's way more than that at this point - a massive complex of the cave, plus a basilica and Jesuit retreat house. You can stay there, but it would be wise to book, as of course it is popular with Ignatian pilgrims.
It's 35.9km for the day if go as far as the cave.
Touring a monastery AND staying at a Jesuit retreat house? Yes please!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I remember walking right by a hostal in Navarcles, it must be the Hostal Baviera, yet clicking on the website for the Hostal Baviera takes you to a website for “the most beautiful hotel in South America “(?!). There are recent google reviews, however, one as recent as two months ago.

Rooms at the monastery are pricey. But maybe they offer good last minute pilgrim prices.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Manresa gets mixed reviews. Some people don't feel so safe, others say it's fine. So what's the anxiety coming from? And is there anything that's worth actually paying attention to, for we women who walk alone?

Day 12. Manresa - Montserrat (25.6 or 25.8 km)
Getting out of Manresa
The Dutch tracks show two possibilities that diverge as soon as we cross the Pont Vell. One roughly parallels the main road south, while the other takes off in a more westerly direction and zig-zags up on a more indirect path this is the slightly longer distance. The two ways merge after about 11.5 km at the top of Castellgali. There are a bazillion other paths, too, so this is a section where we have to pay attention, lest we wander about in endless circles.

Here is the big picture, showing the two options, beginning to end (turquoise lines):
Screenshot_20210819-132302_OsmAnd.jpg
And here's a close-up of the choice-point at the beginning:
Screenshot_20210819-132434_OsmAnd.jpg
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. The more direct way is likely least confusing. But can anyone speak to waymarking? The zig-zaggy one's labelled as the Ignacio, so it would likely have its own waymarking.

Onward
It's 'only' 25km, but it's a bit of a hill at the end. And once at the top of Castellgado, we all just go inexorably towards the snaggle-toothed wall of rock ahead of us.

Here's what @alansykes did:
The first sight of Montserrat's outline from Manresa is both beautiful and a bit daunting. Somehow you've got to get up those unmistakable jagged edges. At least the ascent is significantly less steep coming from the south than the cliff-like path up from the Barcelona side.

There are many well marked trails, and I decided to leave the official Santiago one to go up the camí de les Ermites Romàniques. It starts with the pretty, small 12th century one of Sant Jaume de Marganell, passes near Sant Cristòfol de Castellbell and carries on (sometimes quite steeply - 200m in a km) up the GR4 to the larger bulk of lovely Santa Cecilia, followed by gorgeous views looking down onto the tower of Sant Benet (which the official trail passes) and enjoying hearing its bells.

Laurie went together (a slightly different way? I'm not sure) with a happy gang of Amigos from Cervera:
After Castellgalí, there is a delicious fountain near the church of San Cristophol. We took a group picture there and then began the ascent, which is really not so bad at all. Another one of those legends -- I had heard how awful it would be, but the reports were greatly exaggerated

Once at Montserrat, we are amonst throngs of daytrippers until nightfall. So it sounds like a bit of a circus. But at the end of the day, there are peace, quiet, and magical vespers, and Lauds in the morning before leaving.
The Montserrat complex is impressive, imposing, mobbed, and highly commercialized. My sense is that there is a lot of taking advantage of the captive audience. The paths leading away from the monastery were much more enjoyable for me than elbowing my way through the crowds in church and near the lighted candles.
Vespers this evening in the basilica was memorable. The sombre, mostly baritone or lower voices of the monks entoned the often repeated words, but towards the end 50 of the young choristers appeared, all wearing pale blue masks and their curious black and white robes, and did a soaring adaptation of Ferrer's version of the Ave Maria.
Lauds yes, starting in the dark with 24 monks outnumbering the congregation by 6-1, and noticing for the first time the magnificent new organ they've installed since my last visit.

Laurie and @LTfit stayed in the Albergue, but there is a flash hotel, as well.
The albergue is free for pilgrims (not donativo, free, they do not want money, and when you see how much money they are pulling in from this massive commercial complex of restaurants, souvenir shops, and fancy hotels, you won't feel bad that there is no way for you to donate). The albergue itself is quite nice, it has a couple of "pods" with a common room, small kitchen off that room, and then a few little bedrooms

The museum has a Caravaggio, highly recommended, if it and the albergue have re-opened:
the wonderful museum is a covid casualty, closed for the foreseeable, as is the monastery albergue.

General Note:
Montserrat marks the end of the Cami Sant Jaume, and the beginning of the Cami Catalan., from here on out the landscape changes dramatically as we head westward.

I am continuing in my walking at home - to Jaca and the Aragones. But there has been relatively little engagement here, so I'm considering closing this planning thread (unless there are howls of disappointment and interest in me keeping it going, which I'm happy to do, but just not talking to myself). @Rick of Rick and Peg and (I think?) @Anniesantiago have expressed interest.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who joined this first leg from the sea, particularly to @Doughnut NZ who single-handedly did the heavy lifting in gathering information and whose map wizzardry is legendary!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just posted this list of amigos associations in response to a query on another thread, and think it worth repeating here. Better late than never!:
Associations
Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago http://www.caminosantiago.org
Associació d'Amics dels Pelegrins a Santiago de Barcelona http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org
Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de L'Hospitalet de Llobregat http://www.peregrinoslh.com
Associació d'Amics del Camí de Sant Jaume de Sabadell http://www.camisantjaume.com
Asociación Amigos del Apóstol y del Camino de Santiago de Barcelona http://www.rutasjacobeas.com
Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Zaragoza http://www.peregrinoszaragoza.org
Asociación de Peregrinos del Señor Santiago de Galicia de Calahorra Http://peregrinossantiagocalahorra.blogspot.com.es
Asociación Riojana de Amigos del Camino de Santiago http://www.asantiago.org
Associació d’Amics del Camí de Sant Jaume de Cervera i la Segarra. http://cami-sant-jaume-cervera.blogspot.com
Amics del Camí de Sant Jaume de Terrassa. https://amicscamisantjaume.wordpress.com

Many many thanks to VN and @Doughnut NZ and the others who have created a great planning document for anyone who wants to venture out to the Cami St. Jaume from Port de la Selva/Llançà.

I understand why this great tag team would want to take a break - you essentially carried the thread for us.

I don’t know if there would be more interest in the better knkown “second half” of this camino - from Montserrat through either Huesca or Lleida (bottom line — GO THROUGH HUESCA!!!). So never say never, and maybe a groundswell of demand and interest will emerge!

Buen camino, and again, mil gracias to you both, Laurie

I don’t know if there would be more interest in the better knkown “second half” of this camino - from Montserrat through either Huesca or Lleida (bottom line — GO THROUGH HUESCA!!!). So never say never, and maybe a groundswell of demand and interest will emerge!
Perhaps! The route is certainly more straightforward and well known. (And yes, Huesca is where I'm headed, day by day, here at home)

For anyone interested, it can be very enjoyable to walk a virtual camino and plan along the way - if there is a core of folks touching in every stage, and engaging in the thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@VNwalking (especially) and everyone else who contributed, a heartfelt thank you! I will lurk for a while and if I notice more active participation then I will probably join in again. It is not like I have a heap of other things to do at the moment as I am temporarily required to self isolate for two weeks at home as someone in my immediate family has come in contact with a Covid infected person. I do have some other computer work to do however and so I will generally stay clear of other sections of the forum.

@peregrina2000 , how was the waymarking out of Manresa? On the map it looks confusing, with a spaghetti bowl's-worth of options.
Hmm, now that you mention it, I do remember something about parallel options, one up in the woods, one along the road. I took the one up in the woods, which was also a popular bike trail. I think that these options come together in Castellgalí, no?

From there (Castellgalí is a town with cafés, some services), I latched on to the Cervera amigos, and that meant that my attention to my surroundings diminished as my attention to my new pals increased. I remember that we stopped at another church on the way up to Montserrat, and had a snack in a nice plaza with great water in a fuente, but most of what I remember has to do with talking with a very nice French woman whose husband worked in Cervera for the cooperative grocery store chain whose name I forget. It was so interesting to learn about a French expat living in Catalunya that I confess I wasn’t paying much attention to the camino path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that these options come together in Castellgalí, no?
Yes. The way you took is a tad longer but looks more pleasant, at least on the map.

Another question, for those (especially solo women) who've walked through Manresa: one account I read here on the Forum made the city sound a bit sketchy. Did you ever feel uneasy there?

Thank you folks for this thread, especially @VNwalking, @Doughnut NZ, and @peregrina2000.

Please leave the thread open. Monserrat on is where my experience matches the way planned. I would like to add a few things now and then that may be a bit helpful for the travellers between Monserrat and Puente de Reina but even for this section I'm not sure I would be very useful. I'd have a hard time remembering where I ate or what I ate for example. I (One exception was the wild trout dinner in Puente de Reina de Jaca. I don't care for trout but Peg loves it, especially wild trout; she once lived next to a trout stream. It's been two years now and I still tease Peg about my trout. That's why I got it.)

Anyway, back to Monserrat. Coming from Terrassa in the morning I approached the climb from the village of Monistrol de Monserrat. Although mostly a dirt road and trail there were staircases as part of the way too. It only seemed that half the climb was the stairs.

I got to the monastery just a bit late to check in at the pilgrim's office so the procedure was to do it at the hotel. I had a six bed albergue room to myself with an attached bath. That might have been shared with a neighboring room; I can't remember. I went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. They had a pilgrim meal available but that was served in a separate room with long tables with seating on both sides. There was only me and a Czech walking the Camino Ignacio eating there (it was October 21).

In the morning there was a hard rain and I waited it out and then visited the pilgrim office for a sello. I asked if they had any poles. They had two mismatched ones from which I took one. The rain came again about noon. I decided to make the day's walk short by using the municipal albergue in Castellolí instead of the facilities in Igualada. Just recently that albergue has been replaced by a parochial one in town.

I mention Castellolí as way to squeeze in more time sightseeing at Monserrat. In 2015 Peg and I visited as day-trippers. We were very impressed with the art museum.

Yes. The way you took is a tad longer but looks more pleasant, at least on the map.

Another question, for those (especially solo women) who've walked through Manresa: one account I read here on the Forum made the city sound a bit sketchy. Did you ever feel uneasy there?
I was going to answer that earlier in the thread, but didn’t know quite what to say. It is true that Manresa has a large immigrant population. I think 15-20% is of Moroccan origin, which is unusual in Spain, at least in the communities most caminos go through. To the extent stereotypes were at work, well, I just don’t know. But I walked out and about till 9 or 10 at night (staying in the centrally located youth hostel) and my time in the tapas area was very enjoyable.

I would say that the area around the cathedral is a bit gritty, maybe that’s the area the person was referring to. I never felt uneasy or threatened though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Day 12. Manresa - Montserrat (25.6 or 25.8 km)
Getting out of Manresa
The Dutch tracks show two possibilities that diverge as soon as we cross the Pont Vell. One roughly parallels the main road south, while the other takes off in a more westerly direction and zig-zags up on a more indirect path this is the slightly longer distance. The two ways merge after about 11.5 km at the top of Castellgali. There are a bazillion other paths, too, so this is a section where we have to pay attention, lest we wander about in endless circles.

Here is the big picture, showing the two options, beginning to end (turquoise lines):
View attachment 107115
And here's a close-up of the choice-point at the beginning:
View attachment 107117
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. The more direct way is likely least confusing. But can anyone speak to waymarking? The zig-zaggy one's labelled as the Ignacio, so it would likely have its own waymarking.

Onward
It's 'only' 25km, but it's a bit of a hill at the end. And once at the top of Castellgado, we all just go inexorably towards the snaggle-toothed wall of rock ahead of us.

Here's what @alansykes did:

Laurie went together (a slightly different way? I'm not sure) with a happy gang of Amigos from Cervera:

Once at Montserrat, we are amonst throngs of daytrippers until nightfall. So it sounds like a bit of a circus. But at the end of the day, there are peace, quiet, and magical vespers, and Lauds in the morning before leaving.

Laurie and @LTfit stayed in the Albergue, but there is a flash hotel, as well.

The museum has a Caravaggio, highly recommended, if it and the albergue have re-opened:

General Note:
Montserrat marks the end of the Cami Sant Jaume, and the beginning of the Cami Catalan., from here on out the landscape changes dramatically as we head westward.

I am continuing in my walking at home - to Jaca and the Aragones. But there has been relatively little engagement here, so I'm considering closing this planning thread (unless there are howls of disappointment and interest in me keeping it going, which I'm happy to do, but just not talking to myself). @Rick of Rick and Peg and (I think?) @Anniesantiago have expressed interest.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who joined this first leg from the sea, particularly to @Doughnut NZ who single-handedly did the heavy lifting in gathering information and whose map wizzardry is legendary!
The museum is amazing. And the variety of walks around the mountain, to hermit’s caves and the path to Santa Cuerva. If I get a next time I’m booking two nights at the hotel.

The museum is amazing. And the variety of walks around the mountain, to hermit’s caves and the path to Santa Cuerva. If I get a next time I’m booking two nights at the hotel.
I did not even realize there was a museum there! It looks like they received several big donations of private collections. Sparrow, am I right that there is not much in the way of art from the monastery itself? I guess most of it is already on display.

I did take a long walk out to a pretty amazing viewing point, but it was so crowded. Walking around a bit at night after LT arrived was such a totally different experience. The crowds evaporated around 6 or 7 I believe.

I wish @alansykes were around to chime in, because he has clearly been there. My question is what Caravaggio? And has it been there sll along?

So I asked Dr. Google instead. Here's what I found:

From that webpage:
The Museum of Montserrat houses an important collection of ancient paintings. Most of the paintings in this section come from the acquisitions of Abbot Antoni M. Marcet in Rome and Naples between 1913 and 1920. Abbot Aureli M. Escarré extended the collection with new acquisitions to which other donations have been added.

Screenshot_20210820-105438_Chrome.jpg
Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1571-1610)
Penitent Saint Jerome
Oil on canvas
145,5 x 101,5 cm.
R.N. 200.16

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not being sure what is going to happen next with the thread I'm going to jump ahead a week and a half or so of walking to put in a few important notes.

Probably the most important advice I have for walkers of the Camino Catalan is about the last two or three stages (Bolea to Santa Cilia on the Camino Aragonese). Gronze's webpages for the Catalan divides this stretch into two stages with La Peña Estación separating them. However, they do not have any lodging listings for this town. I assume they expect you to take the train that passes through town to either Jaca or Huesca and come back the next day. Or possibly do a taxi shuttle. The first stage of the two stages they say is 28.6 kilometers and the second stage is 31.0. They give approximate walking times of 8 hours plus or minus. This is in hilly country.

I broke up the walk into 3 stages. Bolea to Sarsamarcuello (15 km); Sarsamarcuello to Ena (24.2 km); Ena to Santa Cilia (20.4). This was in early November and the shorter stages helped keep me from walking in the dark.

I would recommend that, if you can, you walk another 7.5 km past Ena to stay at the youth hostel in Botaya. This gets you closer to next day's highlights of the new and old monasteries of San Juan de la Peña and thus you have more time to explore them. Check the hours of operations at the monasteries though because if they open late you may not save time. The youth hostel is open in the summer and on weekends so I didn't use it.

I should mention that there are other places to stay in the area but I'm just mentioning the cheap ones.

In one of the L.Z. videos attached below there is a suggestion that allows you to squeeze in two sights that you might otherwise have to bypass. I missed these but you shouldn't. Stay 3 nights in Sarsamarcuello. On the first morning head back past Loarre to visit the Castillo de Loarre. On the second morning go forward to see the Ermita de San Miguel and the Torre de Marcuello. Then a little ways past them the road forks. The camino goes to the right, the road to the left goes to Mirador de los Buitres, the vulture overlook. On the third morning head for Ena or Botaya. As this is a seldom walked camino you would probably have no trouble getting to stay the extra nights. Be sure to carry enough food into town though as the only place to eat is at the local's social club and I'm not sure if you'll look pitiful enough for you to get fed there. Also have enough food for Ena or Botaya.

Here are some videos of the last stages. If you click the superimposed title instead of the arrow you should be brought to YouTube where you will have a better experience (less any ads).

Castillo de Loarre. Why this guy isn't walking a road beats me.

Mirador de los Buitres. After you tire of the scenery join @VNwalking at 6:30 to see countless vultures soaring. I hope they are there when you will be.

A peek at the social club in Sarsamarcuello:
https://youtu.be/kJ3q4G3VDH0

This guy (filming as L.Z Films) has walked numerous caminos and he puts sections of the last stages among the best he has done. He walked in the spring. There are English subtitles. He likes cats.

Huesca - Bolea - Sarsamarcuello

Sarsamarcuello - Ena

Ena - Santa Cilia

Last edited:
This is great to have! 🙏
We can always add this information into the posts when we get there. Bookmarked.
I'm definitely looking forward to those vultures.

And before we go on, Rick, please would you be so kind as to briefly summarize the stages you walked between Barcelona and Montserrat, for those who want to start in the city. Gracias!

Ok!
😊
Laurie, would it be easier in the editing end to start a part 2 thread, from Montserrat to the Aragones?
I think that since most of the very few people who walk the Catalán start in Montserrat or Barcelona, it makes sense to start a second thread from Montserrat, which is where Gronze’s route starts. Your first post in that thread could refer people back to the end of this one, OR you could have a separate Barcelona to Montserrat thread, totally up to you!

And when you do start, here is the updated info from the amics, which will also help with stage planning.

Last edited:
I think that since most of the very few people who walk the Catalán start in Montserrat or Barcelona, it makes sense to start a second thread from Montserrat, which is where Gronze’s route starts. Your first post in that thread could refer people back to the end of this one, OR you could have a separate Barcelona to Montserrat thread, totally up to you!

And when you do start, here is the updated info from the amics, which will also help with stage planning.

I will start a new thread and re-name this one.
Watch this space.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some detail about the Camí Catalàn is found here :

Rutas señalizadas y con guía editada

01. CAMÍ CATALÀ DE SANT JAUME (391,72 km)
Coll de Panissars - la Jonquera - Figueres - Girona - Hostalric - Sabadell - Terrassa - Montserrat - Lleida - Fraga(*)
02. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE L’EBRE (157,25 km)
Muntell de les Verges - Sant Jaume d’Enveja - Amposta - Tortosa - Xerta - Gandesa - Batea - Favara - Caspe
03. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE TARRAGONA A LLEIDA (155,59 km)
Tarragona - Santes Creus - Montblanc - Poblet - Vallbona de les Monges - Lleida
04. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL LLOBREGAT(59,24 km)
Barcelona - L’Hospitalet de Llobregat - Cornellà de Llobregat - Molins de Rei - Martorell - Montserrat
05. CAMÍ CATALÀ PER SAN JUAN DE LA PEÑA(241,47 km)
Barcelona - Sant Cugat del Vallès - Montserrat - Igualada - Cervera - Tàrrega - Balaguer - Monzón
06. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE L’ALT EMPORDÀ(53,24 km)
Cadaqués - Cap de Creus - Port de la Selva - Sant Pere de Rodes - Peralada - Figueres
06.b. CAMÍ DOMITIÀ DE SANT JAUME(21,43 km)
Coll de Banyuls - Sant Quirze de Colera - Rabós - Peralada (*)
07. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE GIRONA A MONTSERRAT, POR OLOT, VIC Y MANRESA(198,67 km)
Girona - Anglès - Olot - Vic - l’Estany - Manresa - Montserrat

Rutas en proceso de señalización y edición de guía

08. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL RIPOLLÈS (156,73 km)
Coll d’Ares - Camprodon - Sant Pau de Segúries - Ripoll - Vic - Centelles - Aiguafreda - la Garriga - Palou(Granollers) (*)
09. VIA ARAN - PIRINEUS (147,88 km)
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Les - Bossot - Vielha - Espitau de Vielha - Bonansa - Obarra - Roda de Isábena(*)
10. VIA MARINA DEL CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME(137,96 km)
Girona - Caldes de Malavella - Vidreres - Blanes - Malgrat de Mar - Mataró - Badalona - Barcelona
11. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL SEGRE (307,89 km)
Coll de la Perxa - Llívia - Puigcerdà - la Seu d’Urgell - Oliana - Ponts - Balaguer - Lleida - Mequinensa (*)
11.b. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME D’ANDORRA(86,42 km)
Ax-les-Termes - l’Espitalet de l’Arieja - Canillo - Andorra la Vella - Sant Julià de Loira - la Seu d’Urgell (*)
12. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL VENDRELL A LLEIDA(143,35 km)
El Vendrell - Rodonyà - Santes Creus - Montblanc - Poblet - Vallbona de les Monges - Lleida
12.b. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL PENEDÈS(43,05 km)
La Granada - Vilafranca del Penedès - Sant Jaume dels Domenys - la Bisbal del Penedès - Rodonyà
13. VIA MERCADERA DEL CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME(127,22 km)
Barcelona - Sant Boi de Llobregat - Begues - la Granada - Santa Coloma de Queralt - Cervera
14. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE TARRAGONA A MEQUINENSA(116,96 km)
Tarragona - la Selva del Camp - Prades - Ulldemolins - Maials - Mequinensa

Rutas en estudio

15. EL VELL CAMÍ CATALÀ DE SANT JAUME (373,78 km)
Barcelona - Terrassa - Sant Llorenç del Munt - Manresa - Solsona - la Seu d’Urgell - Sort - Roda de Isábena
16. CAMÍ RAL D'ARAGÓ (80,38 km)
Camí de Sant Jaume de Barcelona a Igualada, por l’Hospitalet de Llobregat, Cornellà de Llobregat, Martorell y Piera
17. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE L’EBRE (84,38 km)
Brazo Hospitalero de l'Hospitalet de l’Infant a Batea por Vandellòs, Tivissa, Miravet, Corbera d’Ebre y Batea
18. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE BANYULS DE LA MARENDA A SANT PERE DE RODES(39,32 km)
Banyuls de la Marenda - Sant Quirze de Colera - Sant Pere de Rodes (*)
19. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE LA CERDANYA A MONTSERRAT (151,13 km)
Bellver de Cerdanya - Coll del Pendís - Bagà - Berga - Puig-reig - Manresa - Montserrat
20. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE PONT DE MOLINS A OLOT, RIPOLL, BERGA y CERVERA (264,08 km)
Pont de Molins - Besalú - Olot - Ripoll - Sant Jaume de Frontanyà - Berga - Cardona - Cervera
21. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE GIRONA A VIC, MANRESA y CERVERA (210,58 km)
Girona - Anglès - Vic - Tona - Moià - Manresa - Rajadell - els Prats de Rei - Cervera
22. CAMÍ TORTOSÍ DE SANT JAUME (119,55 km)
Tortosa - Jesús - Aldover - Xerta - Miravet - Mora d’Ebre - Flix - Maials - Seròs - Fraga
23. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE LA CERDANYA AL RIPOLLÈS (62,09 km)
Puigcerdà - Alp - la Molina - Collada de Toses - Ribes de Freser - Campdevànol - Ripoll
24. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE L’ALTA CERDANYA AL RIPOLLÈS (32,42 km)
Coll de la Perxa - Eina - Coll de Núria - Núria - Ribes de Freser (*)
25. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DEL CONFLENT AL RIPOLLÈS (55,47km)
Sant Miquel de Cuixà - Mentet - Portella de Mentet - Valter 2000 - Setcases - Camprodon (*)
26. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE L’ARIEJA A LA CERDANYA (48,35km)
Ax-les-Thermes - Mérens-les-Vals - l’Espitalet de l’Arieja- Pimorent - Porté - Puigcerdà (*)
27. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE LA VAL D’ARAN A BALAGUER (229,47 km)
Vielha - Montgarri - Esterri d’Àneu - Sort - la Pobla de Segur - Tremp - Àger - Balaguer
27.b. CAMÍ DE SANT JAUME DE LA VAL D’ARAN A BALAGUER (36,99 km)
Variante de Vielha - Salardú - Port de la Bonaigua - Esterri d’Àneu

Nota: (*) Rutas transfronterizas con Francia

BTW. Olot is not a place of interest only to geophiles - it has history and much else, too:

(From Wikipedia)

Lots of information here; it really looks fantastic:

To get there, just keep going in the Via Verde from Sant Esteve. There look like there are alternatives that are more adventurous, but that VV is gorgeous, and most expedient. It's about 5km from SEdB.
8 kms Sant Esteve to Olot - 2 hours or less if non-stop

I did like Olot very much. I actually preferred it to Vic.
Very friendly atmosphere.
I do not remember where we had lunch ( seeing we drove by car we might have stopped somewhere in between ) but this places in Olot seems nice.

11.90 € for a menu del dia.

"Alan's recommendation: 'I stayed at a very nice hostel called the Vertisol, about half way between Olot and San Esteve in a village called Les Prises. Very easy to get to Olot along the vía verde.' "
Les Preses. Went to Vertisol for breakfast this morning (June 2022). They even offered a ready freshly made vegan bocarillo!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds" ☹️
The hidden blessing here is that you can walk the Camí unencumbered by the expectations that the video will give you. It is an amazingly beautiful camino, both in terms of nature and architecture, so I say go for it without seeing any videos!

From experience, I would say that there are three basic options. Not including those leading to the Camino de Castilla y Aragón.

1) via Huesca

2) via Lleida, classic route

3) at Fraga, turn South, cross the Ebro near Mequinenza, and get to the Ebro Way at Caspe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The hidden blessing here is that you can walk the Camí unencumbered by the expectations that the video will give you. It is an amazingly beautiful camino, both in terms of nature and architecture, so I say go for it without seeing any videos!
Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back