• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Virtual/planning thread: Caminos Girona, Catalán, and Aragonés - Part 2: Montserrat - Santa Cilia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was going to submit this picture to the thread "On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 8.0" where a small theme of hills had developed. Then I thought that I should look up and report on the actual elevation values. Then one more thought came to me, the post really belongs here.

Here is the view I had 4 kms out from Ena on my way to the "new" (c. 1600) and old monasteries of San Juan de la Peña. It is pretty much looking north so the area with the monasteries is hidden by the trees on the right.

IMG_20191104_090917-01.jpeg Screenshot_20220109-121943.png

Curiosity grabbed me so I brought up the Ena to Santa Cilia stage of the Camino Catalan on the Mapas de España app and got some approximate numbers. I was at about the "4" spot at 850 m elevation when I took the picture. The monasteries are at about 1,250 m. So I'm looking at a cliff (peña) 400 m (1,300 feet) above me. Things on the way didn't get steep until a short ways past Botaya near kilometer 8 at 900 m. The old monastery is at "12" (the "new" one is near 10.5). So 350 m over 4 km or about a 9% upward slope. Going down to Santa Cruz it's an elevation loss of 450 m over 3 km for a slope of -15%.

Both the routes from SJPdP to Roncesvalles have a 3 km stretch with an average 15% climb.

This webpage (in Spanish) has a couple of aerial photos that show both monasteries in the same picture and some that show the old monastery's setting under the cliff:

http://www.romanicoaragones.com/0-Jacetania/25-SanJuanPena.htm

The next pic was deleted but shows up anyway. It is a not as clear picture of the map that is shown better above.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-121943-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220109-121943-01.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back