• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visa requirements for Australians?

1elantra

Time of past OR future Camino
way of St James
Hello fellow Australians. Travelling to France on Aussie passport, is it still current NO VISA required as exempt travelling in the Schengen area please

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For US citizens, there is no need for a visa to visit the Schengen area if staying less than 90 days.

It could be different for Australian citizens! For example, Australia requires a visa for US citizens which is really just a tax. In retaliation, may countries require a visa/tax for Australian citizen. Check authoritative sources in Australia.

-Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi fellow Australian, no visa required, you have 90 days in the Schengen countries. Buen Camino 👣

For example, Australia requires a visa for US citizens which is really just a tax.
A visa isn't required, but a type of visa waiver, an Electronic Travel Authorization is required, just like citizens of many countries need an ESTA to travel to the US.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A visa isn't required, but a type of visa waiver, an Electronic Travel Authorization is required, just like citizens of many countries need an ESTA to travel to the US.
I believe the ESTA is a coming requirement for ALL nationalities but the requirement has not yet commenced. 2024 rings a bell?

I better check on that. Travelling from Australia June 28th

I better check on that. Travelling from Australia June 28th
Think you're OK according to this link...

And ETIAS has been pushed back to 2024

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I believe the ESTA is a coming requirement for ALL nationalities but the requirement has not yet commenced. 2024 rings a bell?
The ESTA has been a requirement for most Europeans for quite some time. Pretty much the same for a Canadian ETA visa waiver. The EU will have the ETIAS starting in 2024 (unless they delay it again).

Hello fellow Australians. Travelling to France on Aussie passport, is it still current NO VISA required as exempt travelling in the Schengen area please
Australians with Commonwealth passports are treated the same as UK passport holders. No visa requirement but can only spend 90 days in Shengen areas which includes most of Europe

I will put my ex Border Force pedant hat on here and say that every traveller, without exception, requires a visa. :) The difference is that in many cases the visa is granted on arrival without needing to apply beforehand, as is the case we are discussing here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We just flew into Madrid with no issues. Immigration just asked if we were from Australia after looking at passport and that was it. Straight through.

I will put my ex Border Force pedant hat on here and say that every traveller, without exception, requires a visa. :) The difference is that in many cases the visa is granted on arrival without needing to apply beforehand, as is the case we are discussing here.
“The ETIAS must be applied for online prior to arrival to the EU. Each eligible traveller, regardless of age, will require an ETIAS to visit EU member countries.”

I dunno. Sure sounds like you have to apply before arriving…

“The ETIAS must be applied for online prior to arrival to the EU. Each eligible traveller, regardless of age, will require an ETIAS to visit EU member countries.”

No you don’t have to apply. You may or maybe given a visa upon entering Shengen areas. Different types of visas are required if you intend to work or live in those areas. If your Camino/travel is completed within the 90 day period NO visa needs to be applied for if you have a UK or Commonwealth Passport.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We just flew into Madrid with no issues. Immigration just asked if we were from Australia after looking at passport and that was it. Straight through.
Hi, did they ask for covid vaccination proof - ie International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate.

No you don’t have to apply. You may or maybe given a visa upon entering Shengen areas. Different types of visas are required if you intend to work or live in those areas. If your Camino/travel is completed within the 90 day period NO visa needs to be applied for if you have a UK or Commonwealth Passport.
When ETIAS goes into effect next year you will have to apply online prior to travel, just as those traveling to the US from many countries have to apply for an ESTA prior to travel.

Erm … just for info: One poster opined (wrongly) that the conditions for entering the Schengen area could be different for Australians and US Americans. It isn’t. Same conditions - no visa required for a stay of up to 90 days.

But then someone mentioned ESTA - the USA’s Electronic System for Travel Authorisation for their own foreign visitors. Someone else understood it to mean ETIAS - the EU’s future Electronic Travel Information and Authorisation system for their own foreign visitors.

It can get confusing with so many countries and so many nationalities and so many conditions for entry and stay in a foreign country. So in short: for the EU Schengen countries, American and Australian visitors are the same, they don’t need a visa and can stay for up to 90 days in Spain or any other country of the Schengen area. And ETIAS is not operational and there will be information campaigns when it is eased into operation one day in the future.

And then there are old bilateral agreements about visa free longer stays (more than 90 days a go) for some nationalities in some EU countries. If you want to make it more complicated … :cool:

Last edited:
Let me assure Oz travellers and others familiar with getting a 90 day visa on arrival into the Schengen zone that there is no need for an ETIAS approval at present. I cannot tell when that will change, but others better informed about EU and Schengen changes than I am are likely to let give us ample warning when it gets close.

Next year
We had the first announcement in March 2019 about ETIAS being put into operation, “starting in 2021“ (click here).

It’s now four years later and there is still only a vague starting date. Since then other threads informed us every few months or so about a postponement and a newer starting date. When it does happen, there will be information campaigns and a long period of phasing in. We will know soon enough when ETIAS becomes obligatory and we won’t be able to buy a plane ticket without being informed about it and knowing what to do.

FWIW, the EU’s future ETIAS system is part of a huge overhaul of their IT infrastructure and laws for managing tourist and migrant influx. It involves 27 different countries with different technical infrastructure and also different views. Considerable issues on technical and legal levels - hence the continued (and, frankly, predictable) repeated delays of ETIAS being put into operation.

The first thing you are likely to notice of the coming big change: no more Schengen entry/exit stamps in your Australian and US passports.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Erm … just for info: One poster opined (wrongly) that the conditions for entering the Schengen area could be different for Australians and US Americans. It isn’t. Same conditions - no visa required for a stay of up to 90 days.

The visa requirement might happen be the same for US and Australians citizens at this time, but it is certainly possible that this could change. That's why you need to consult an authoritative source and not depend on social media for this type of question that might get you deported.

-Paul

Pity. My wife and I were quite excited this morning to get our Schengen entry stamps at CDG.
Oh sorry, I was perhaps not clear in my post: the abolition of the entry/exit stamps is also not yet for today or tomorrow (although an initial deadline had been scheduled for this spring if memory does not fail me). I find them quite cute. I envy you third country nationals - my passport is so empty and even the UK does not stamp it for me. ☺️

And Buen Camino!!!

I envy you third country nationals - my passport is so empty and even the UK does not stamp it for me. ☺️
I wouldn't be too envious of the third country Brits at the moment. Our passport service has just gone on strike for five weeks. So if your passport is filled up with stamps you might have to wait a long time for a new one. :-(

€46,-
Your passport is a legal document of citizenship. Please do not use it like a scrapbook!

-Paul

Before I retired there was talk at Border Force of the way ahead for passports. Most likely the passport of the not so distant future will be a plastic card the same as a drivers licence or credit card with all your information contained on a chip. No more booklet of stamps to reminisce over. Sad in a way.

One can argue semantics and say the entrance stamp is effectively the same as a visa, but officially, it is "visa-exempt" or "no visa required" for those of us from countries on that list.

€46,-
Oh sorry, I was perhaps not clear in my post: the abolition of the entry/exit stamps is also not yet for today or tomorrow (although an initial deadline had been scheduled for this spring if memory does not fail me). I find them quite cute. I envy you third country nationals - my passport is so empty and even the UK does not stamp it for me. ☺️
I lost my credencial and can't find my diary. But I know exactly where my passport is, so I value the stamps in it. Not just for memory, but also for a record of my travels. USA CBP allegedly has a record of every entry or exit, but when I requested mine, they took half a year to send me a list of about half of them, and some of those were wrong. Even had me leaving twice without coming back.

Hello fellow Australians. Travelling to France on Aussie passport, is it still current NO VISA required as exempt travelling
Hi 1elantra,
I'm a long time reader, first time poster on this forum - I agree with Lindsay53, for Australians, it is an exemption to the visa and you have to meet the requirements for that exemption. Check smart traveller for latest requirements
(https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/before-you-go/the-basics/schengen?)
It also depends on country of entry to the EU and the border guard that is reviewing your entitlement to enter the schengen zone. I had a flight from Sydney to Lisbon where I had to change at Frankfurt and go through passport control there. In addition to my passport, they wanted to see proof of purpose for travel, that I had sufficient funds for 90 days (which are required for schengen visa), and my return ticket (it's at the guard's discretion to ask for other documents before approving entry).

One can argue semantics and say the entrance stamp is effectively the same as a visa, but officially, it is "visa-exempt" or "no visa required" for those of us from countries on that list.
I must admit I assumed that the Schengen entry stamp just indicated the place and date of one's arrival, and didn't have anything to say about one's visa status. One might infer from the absence of a visa in a passport that it was under a visa-exempt category. This is in contrast to the UK practice before the implementation of smart gates where the passport stamp made some statement about what category of entry was being granted.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or, instead of arguing semantics on social media, one can read what the Schengen Border Code (=law) says about stamping. Note: third-country national is anyone who presents a passport that has not been issued by an EU country or by Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein; travel document means passport. In short, all your passports get stamped at the external Schengen border, whether you had to apply for a visa or whether you benefit from the visa waiver option. Quote:

The travel documents of third-country nationals shall be systematically stamped on entry and exit. In particular an entry or exit stamp shall be affixed to:
  1. the documents, bearing a valid visa, enabling third-country nationals to cross the border;
  2. the documents enabling third-country nationals to whom a visa is issued at the border by a Member State to cross the border;
  3. the documents enabling third-country nationals not subject to a visa requirement to cross the border.
Happy travelling to all!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back