• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visit to Monasterio de Santo Domingo de Silos

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Camino Frances (2014), Camino Norte (Oct 2018)
I am planning to walk from SJPP in mid September. Thought it might be a nice rest day / side trip to go to Silos from Buros to see Monasterio and hear the chanting monks. Has anyone taken a bus from Burgos to Silos? How frequent are the busses? Is it worth the side trip to Silos?

Dan
Chicago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dan

I did the trip this spring, off season, one bus a day leaving around 1630 or 1700 from the bus station in Burgos. There is a stop on the street but I couldn't find it! The ride is about an hour and hour and a half depending on the number of passengers. It is a rural route, a smaller than expected bus and may stop at any crossroads, village, or cowbarn along the way, the driver and everyone on board are well acquainted. You will arrive in time to find a room and run to the church to hear them singing at vespers. The return trip leaves early say 0730 - 0800 so plan two nights if you want to see the monastery (you do!) and enjoy the little village. Accomodation? The main road is dotted with little pensions, nothing to write home about, right at the entrance to the village over on the right hand side is a structure marked “albergue”, from the outside, the place was not tempting. The singing is divine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Dan,

It is a great idea to visit Santo Domingo de Silos, but as Scruffy says you need to stay two nights to really experience it all. It is a workers bus leaving Burgos bus station at 5.30 pm. (I think) and leaving Sancto Domingo de Silos at 8.30 am (I think)

Each time I went I booked in for two nights but stayed three as I was enjoying it so much. It is a very special spiritual experience.

John Brierly gives places and phone numbers in his older guides but not in the 2011 guide. I will send them to you in a PM.

Buen Camino,

Lydia

Hi Dan, me again

2 small things:
The bus station is a five minute walk across the bridge from the cathedral, through Arco Santa Maria. The tourist info as a timetable but they are not always up to date and correct! Do trouble yourself to walk over and ask at the bus station as to times of departure and return.
In Burgos you must stop by the Los Huelgas Monastery, it’s located off the Camino a few hundred yards and may be visited by guided groups only and is also a fascinating place. Plan well again, the first stop beyond Burgos – Hornillos – is a bottleneck should there be many pilgrims leaving Burgos, stop and see the monastery but don’t plan a full stage, stop at Rabe de las Calzados or even Villalbilla but don’t continue on to Hornillos, you may find it late in the day, the albergue completo and then find yourself tired and facing another 6 odd k to Spartan San Bol or another 11K on to Hontanas.

The bus from Burgos leaves at 1730, and returns the next morning at 0730. It arrives in time for vespers, but leaves before you can tour the cloisters, so you need two days to do the whole thing. There is a nice nature trail behind the church for a day walk if you stay.

One possibility is to rent a car with three other pilgrims, and drive. The Hertz (on the main street by the bus station) quote for a holiday rate, presumably higher than normal, was 85E for a day plus gas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks very much for this thread and all who have posted useful information, also for the lead back to the previous thread where Falcon posted a ?? is it a URL?? to the bus company, sorry I'm technologically challenged. :)

I also want to visit Silos next time I am in Burgos but I had got it into my head that there were no buses and taxi was the only way. I had looked in all sorts of places but hadn't asked here, or checked if the question had already been asked because I was so sure i knew the answer :?
So, once again, thanks to you all. Now I'll plan for 2 nights in Silos :D
Sue

The morning return bus from Santo Domingo de Silos now seems to be 1000 instead of 0730 or 0830. I don't think that gives time to tour the cloisters, but it allows for a more leisurely breakfast! There is no Sunday or holiday service.

The cloisters are open from 1000 to 1300 Tuesday through Sunday (1200 to 1300 Sunday); closed Monday.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would love to visit there too! Hope to make it there as well...I have a Silos chant Cd that transports me to heaven! It must be sooo beautiful to hear in person..

Pace BENE,
lISA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Inside the church can be very cold, particularly noticible on hot days so be sure to bring your warm fleecy or top. Traditionally monks always put on a cloak when going into the church. I know why now

The monks in Silos produced a CD some time back, just to make their form of prayer known to the wider world. Much to their surprise it became a best seller. In order to respond to the very many who started to come they now sing some of the "Hours" in Spanish. They are called 'hours because traditionally they prayed at the first hour of day , the third hour, the sixth hour the ninth hour, evening vespers,' Complin' last thing at night and 'Matins' in the middle of the night when life is at a low ebb for most people. During the course of the week they would pray all of the 150 Psalms and also listen to various readings from the bible and sing a hymn at the end of each hour and also included in some hours were various canticles like the Benedictus originally said by Zacary, and the Magnificat said by Mary at the visitation.

One absolutely last word from me, the monks are very popular all over Europe and indeed the world, they are often away giving performances, before you set aside 2-3 days to go down there and the bus ride, call to make sure they are there! I remained there an extra day in order to hear them since on the day of my arrival the monks were in Frankfurt and while the "backup" monks were good, that next day was paradise.

they would pray all of the 150 Psalms
They have a printed program that lists the psalms being sung. I think it was a libretto, but I could not actually follow the words, and one psalm sounded pretty much like the next, so if you missed a change, you were on the wrong page. I am not sure you need to understand the words to enjoy the music. The "choir" consisted of about two monks from each decade of life, from 20's to 80's. Afterwords men by prior arrangement can dine and stay with the monks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back