Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visiting the church in Diomondi

peregrina2000

Staff member
Now that we’ve got the details and phone numbers for the spectacular albergue in the Episcopal Palace built into the wall of the Diomondi church, I think it’s time to figure out how pilgrms can get inside that church! I have been there at least five times (not all walking, a couple were tourist visits in the car) and have never found it open. Nor have I found any contact information.

A recent Spanish blog talks about a señora who lives nearby who has the keys. There are also a couple of pictures of the inside. Very nice romanesque arches and an ancient baptismal font (which looks very similar to the one in Santo Estevo de Ribas de Miño, a few kms away). And it looks like they have REAL candles to light, not those electric things.

Rosa, the hospitalera, tells me that the keys are with the priest, who apparently lives in a nearby village.

I know there are a bunch of forum members heading this way soon, let’s see if any are lucky enough to get inside!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently staying at the Diomondi albergue and the receptionist at the counter has the keys to the church. We asked if we could look in not knowing, and she grabbed the keys and opened the doors for us.

So, access is possible if you’re staying the night, I don’t know if they’ll open it up for anyone just walking by.

Also, there is a local who has started a restaurant in his garage/barn about 4k away (you’ll pass a sign on the road saying it’s 900m off route) who will come pick you up and bring you back for lunch and dinner. It’s called Cantina de Mean and is very good. Homemade wine and food. They’ve got flyers at the albergue and the receptionist will arrange the ride. Very nice.

I am currently staying at the Diomondi albergue and the receptionist at the counter has the keys to the church.
Is there someone at the counter during specific hours, or is it still necessary to call by phone to arrange to stay at the albergue? I'm also curious how many people are using this new albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there someone at the counter during specific hours, or is it still necessary to call by phone to arrange to stay at the albergue? I'm also curious how many people are using this new albergue.
We got here a little after 1300 and the receptionist was there, she leaves at 2200. When we leave in the morning we were told to make sure to leave nothing, because the door will lock and no one will be back until 1300.

She said that the first few months of being open that there were days with no one stopping. Tonight there’s my party of four and one other man. They don’t seem to get too many visitors yet. The guestbook has maybe a dozen notes from previous pilgrims.

It is a very nice stay. Kitchenette downstairs and upstairs, showers and bathrooms upstairs and down, most beds are on second level along with a large sitting area with tables and chairs. Power outlet, usb plugs, and personal reading light at each bed. Only issue seems to be an electrical problem where the main room lights aren’t working tonight.
My companions Spanish data plan does not appear to penetrate the thick rock walls, so indoor interneting may be an issue if you like to lay in bed and browse.

What Laurie just said! Please.
When I went by in 2019, the place was deserted, blissfully quiet and very special. I thought at the time it would be fabulous place for an albergue. And so it seems!
Very nice.
I bet, and am envious!
This was easily my favorite place on the Invierno.

so indoor interneting may be an issue if you like to lay in bed and browse.
IMO this is not a bad thing, prioritizing rest and quiet over distraction.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We got here a little after 1300 and the receptionist was there, she leaves at 2200. When we leave in the morning we were told to make sure to leave nothing, because the door will lock and no one will be back until 1300.

She said that the first few months of being open that there were days with no one stopping. Tonight there’s my party of four and one other man. They don’t seem to get too many visitors yet. The guestbook has maybe a dozen notes from previous pilgrims.

It is a very nice stay. Kitchenette downstairs and upstairs, showers and bathrooms upstairs and down, most beds are on second level along with a large sitting area with tables and chairs. Power outlet, usb plugs, and personal reading light at each bed. Only issue seems to be an electrical problem where the main room lights aren’t working tonight.
My companions Spanish data plan does not appear to penetrate the thick rock walls, so indoor interneting may be an issue if you like to lay in bed and browse.
Tell me more about the kitchenette--do you mean fridge and microwave or is there actually an oven, pots and pans, utensils etc??
Sheets?
Yes any pix??
Thanks!

Pictures of the altar, inside of front door, and where the albergue connects to the church wall.

The kitchette downstairs has a small dorm-room fridge and microwave, along with what looked to be a broiler/grill combo? I did not notice any pots/pans, but I didn’t open the cupboards. Upstairs was another fridge and microwave.
I’d guess 8 private shower stalls between the floors, four down and four up, along with toilets and sinks.
There is a third floor, but it was chained off so I don’t know what’s up there.
No sheets, just disposable mattress & pillow cover, so bring your own.
There is also a nice clothes washing station in its own building out back with four sinks and accordion racks to hang clothes.

Also, the guy that runs the Cantina used to run in the Galacian music scene when he was younger and hosts local concerts every other Saturday. But I doubt you’d be able to get back into the albergue if you went, as they appear to go pretty late into the night from the videos he showed me on his phone. Looks like a good time though if you want to risk it. He makes a good, strong liquor (I’d call it moonshine in the states) from the remnants of his homemade wine (also very tasty) process. He’s a very friendly fellow looking to get on the map as a place for pilgrims to eat between Monforte and Chantada.

And a note on the route from Monforte: Torre Vilarino is closed on Wednesday’s according to a notice posted on their door. We’d planned on stopping there for a coffee and food, so were very glad the Cantina existed when we got to Diomondi.

Attachments

• F5B7054F-02D3-40E6-956A-2F5FD6548D9F.jpeg
    F5B7054F-02D3-40E6-956A-2F5FD6548D9F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 7413C873-0D65-4DB1-A4D5-C29767A04E12.jpeg
    7413C873-0D65-4DB1-A4D5-C29767A04E12.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pictures of the altar, inside of front door, and where the albergue connects to the church wall.

Oh thanks so much! I would love to get inside someday. Looks like a pretty amazing baptismal font — it reminds me of the one I saw in Santo Estevo de Ribas do Miño (not to be confused with the parador in Santo Estevo de Ribas do Sil). It’s a few kms off the descent to Belesar and I have been lucky to get in several times when the “señora with the key” happened to be there.

Altar picture doesn’t appear to want to attach, sorry.

If the picture of the altar ever changes its mind, feel free to post. ;)

And that’s great update info for Torre Vilariño and food near Diomondi. Mil gracias. Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• 39453922-A185-4C25-8458-4C177F65E9AA.jpeg
    39453922-A185-4C25-8458-4C177F65E9AA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.