• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

visual representations of ascents and descents

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

For those like me who are visual learners, are there any good videos or blogs or photos of SJPdP to Roncesvalles, and the descent? I'd like to compare the Route Napoleon to the Valcarlos way, just to see. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

For those like me who are visual learners, are there any good videos or blogs or photos of SJPdP to Roncesvalles, and the descent? I'd like to compare the Route Napoleon to the Valcarlos way, just to see. Thank you!
You will find both routes and elevation profiles on the Gronze site. My rather old Brierley only shows the elevation profile for Route Napoleon. What is clear from the profiles is that:
  • on Route Napoleon, by the 10 km point you have reached the half way point of the climb and already done 2/3 of the elevation gain. At the 20 km point you will be going downhill into Roncesvalles.
  • in contrast, on Route Valcarlos, at the 10 km point you still have about 13 km more climb, and you've done only about 1/3 of the elevation gain. At the 20 km you have done 2/3 of the climb, and still have another 300 m or so to go over the next 3 km. That's a tough call if you have walked from SJPP.
  • so while the elevation gain on Route Napoleon is greater, you are doing most of it early in the walk, when you might be somewhat fresher.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back