• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vitain B as a neccesity for pilgrims

slippy

Last year I did my Camino and I had no problem with blisters at all. But this year I walked 1400 kilometres from Czech Republic to Rome and I had regular troubles with them. None of the usual advice helped my and I suffered badly with 5 and more blisters on each foot. That gave me great chance to test new ways how to cope with this trouble and here is what i found out

1) When you go on asphalt for many days and the weather is hot I thing it is almost impossible to avoid blisters in general. You just can make the trouble as minor as possible.
2)Read everything about how to prevent blisters and follow the basic rules. But don´t be so worry about infection. I walked many hundreds of kilometres with bloody bloody blisters and I reached Rome finally anyway.
3) Once you get blisters you won´t most likely get rid of it. You just can do everything to prevent infection and increase of their ammount and size. For first few days you will feel like it is not possible to walk on. But trust me, you will get used to it afterwards.
4) Every single blister has to be covered by plaster. It would get wasted always when you take off your socks (you should do it every hour to make your feet dry). For this reason it is good to have under your regular socks pair of 100% polyester socks which don´t get wet at all and you can have it on for whole day.
5) Always in the evening you have to wash your feet evenhough you have no source of water. The best way is to have the special sport bottle which allows you to squirt the content. 1/2 liter of drinkable water is enough for proper washing of both feet then. If you don´t have any water at all use the special desinfection for hands which is sold in 50 ml bottles. It is better than nothing.
6) Drink as much as possible. Not having enough of water means much slower healing of your blisters.
7) Never puncture your blisters. The reason why it is fulled with liquid is protect your skin. After a few days the skin usualy gets really hard and you have no problem anymore. If you puncture it the problem is just worse.
8 ) Most important one. Use plenty of VITAMIN B complex . Once I started using it (in the middle of my way), my blisters got almost healed in one week. It is almost miraculous!

Honestly, I´ve seen any information about vitamin B in any forum about solving problem with blisters. But it is such a great thing! Never forget that having blisters does not mean the end of your way. It just makes it harder and allows you to experience what medieval pilgrims felt like. And remember - on the way there is never moment when you would not be able to do one more step.

Buen Camino!

If you are any ineterested in my pilgrimage to Rome you can check the photos from it on https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 062&type=3

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Solid advice. Vitamin B is regularly used for cold sores/fever blisters, but there is little anecdotal evidence for friction blisters on feet. Prevention is the key, as you say. Do things that reduce friction. Water is the main cause of the friction, but poor footwear fit is also a major contributor.

Things that reduce friction:
1. lubricant - Talc, silicone, and petrolatum all work. Avoid moisturizers except as evening wear.
2. sock liners - Silk and polypropylene work well. They adhere to the foot so that much of the friction and resulting heat is between the double socks.
3. dry feet - Stop and air your feet. Change socks of they are wet. Reapply lubricant.
4. fit boots with your socks - Buy your boots while wearing the sock combination you will use. You may not be buying your usual size. I start with 1/2 size larger in Columbia Sportswear footwear, but buy my regular size in New Balance. I take a lighter weight pair of wool socks for the occasional day when my boots feel too full with my standard combination.
5. preventive Compeed - Compeed is great for covering blisters, but also will prevent a blister on a hot spot. If you have known hot spots, pretreat with Compeed. It will stay on for days if applied to clean, dry skin.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back