• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vitoria

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
We will be walking from Cahors [ Le Puy ] getting as far as Burgos.
Before we have a holiday in San Sebastian we were thinking of stopping @ Vitoria.
Train connections between Burgos and San Sebastian are via Vitoria.

If anyone can offer advice on this city [which friends from previous camino's say i must visit] it would be appreciated.
Hotels ?
Duration ?
Many thanks,
David

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi David,

Most people don't know that Vitoria is actually the capital of the Basque region, it's often described as a 'hidden gem'. It's often overlooked because right next door you've got Bilbao with all its culture and the Guggenheim (just over an hour away), and then you've got St Sebastian on the other side with beaches and more laid-back surfer lifestyle. Maybe Vitoria doesn't have the same 'wow factor' as its more famous neighbours, but it's got other perks: it's not that touristy, there's a good local atmosphere, and a well-preserved medieval centre with lots of great taverns and bars sporting their extravagant pintxos displays… Basically I'd sum it up as "a nice place to get lost in", you can spend hours exploring the medieval streets and bars, sitting in parks with the locals, experiencing a bit of Basque culture… (or visiting the obligatory cathedral/ art museum if you feel so inspired)

As for accommodation, someone else might have suggestions (I just did a day trip) but it's probably just best to check the reviews on booking.com. It's probably nice in the 'casco viejo', but as you know Spanish city centres can get very noisy over the weekend, so pick wisely!! :)

I have visited Vitoria for the day twice with friends from Bilbao. Nice city. The Cathedral was (and probably is) undergoing a huge renovation program but still had guided tours. Of course the Camino goes right through the town center so you wioll be able to say you walked part of the route! ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Stayed there two nights last year between jumping from the Camino Aragones and starting the San Salvador in Leon.

I stayed in the Abba Jazz hotel, I think I picked it because it was central and near the train station, it was clean, rooms spacious and minimal but in a good way. Just had a quick look on TripAdvisor and some of the complaints range from small to noisy, my room was big so have a look at them, I didn't notice much noise its central but not in the late drinking area which is in the old quarter 5 minutes away but spending about 30 nights in dorm rooms previously could have altered my perception of noisy.

They have a big pintxos festival in June, lots of places doing 5 pintxos with a glass of wine for 10 euros, some were really imaginative and top quality. The old quarter at night is busy but relaxed at the same time, less like Leon a bit more like Oviedo with its more left type trendy bars, places and characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ don't order breakfast through your hotel unless you are sure its exceptional. On the pedestrianised streets behind the hotel, cafes and bars had really good deals on desayuno, the one I was going to gave me a glass of fresh orange, a montadito( big choice) cafe con leche and bolleria for €2.70

Thanks Jan , Al and Mike.
Appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vitoria (Gasteiz in Basque) is a nice and pleasant city. Great food. It got the European Green Capital Award on 2012. It definitely deserves a visit so go, explore it, get lost and enjoy.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back