A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

VN’s Torre Vilariño loop

Camino Badges

peregrina2000

Staff member
I left Monforte at the ungodly hour of 8:20. I did a lot of poking around for the guide, cleared some things up, and was still at the intersection well before noon. So rather than check in, I decided to walk VN’s loop before shower and lunch. It was really great. Though I did it unintentionally in the opposite directioN from VN, I walked on the wrong side of the road so I could look for the credential. No luck. But spectacular views.

I’m now checked in and looking forward to shower and nice lunch.

I highly recommend doing this. My total for the day was 24 approx, so perfectly doable for most.

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
:eek: OMG, Laurie, YOU FOUND IT!!!!
The Miño' glorious loop.

And ... the credencial!!!!!
I'm grinning like an idiot...and you are today's camino angel.
😄🙃☺🥳:D
It"s absurd to be so attached to a piece of paper and a plastic sleeve, but there you go. :rolleyes:
Where the heck was it?

Later we can deal with the trade-off of credencial for reward, hopefully to be done somehow in person...in some fabulous place.

Meanwhile you have tomorrow's gifts to savor...
And I'm so glad you enjoyed that wee loop. Nice, wasn't it?
Buen camino!

🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Looking at your pics more closely...the chestnuts are all blooming, and they really stand out. Gorgeous.
You'll have a fragrant walk tomorrow!

Nana6

Camino(s) past & future
France ( 2020)
I left Monforte at the ungodly hour of 8:20. I did a lot of poking around for the guide, cleared some things up, and was still at the intersection well before noon. So rather than check in, I decided to walk VN’s loop before shower and lunch. It was really great. Though I did it unintentionally in the opposite directioN from VN, I walked on the wrong side of the road so I could look for the credential. No luck. But spectacular views.

I’m now checked in and looking forward to shower and nice lunch.

I highly recommend doing this. My total for the day was 24 approx, so perfectly doable for most.
Thank you for the beautiful photos. Makes me feel I am there ( I wish)

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just got back from a little walk. On the advice of one of the owners of Torre Vilariño, I went to see if anyone was around the museum. The gate was open so I went in but could find no one. All the buildings were locked up, but I did make it up to the Castro (hill fort) and enjoyed another view.

Torre Vilariño is a beautiful place to do nothing, too!

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
. The gate was open so I went in but could find no one. All the buildings were locked up, but I did make it up to the Castro (hill fort) and enjoyed another view.
Why the heck did I not think to do that!?
Great you got up to the castro!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
More beautiful views from there, but not as great as near the adega.
Indeed - the top of the Miño loop is out of sight. But that castro! Wonderful.

I discovered the allure of castros on the Invierno.
There's a special feeling of standing in a very old place and imagining the people who lived there - not different from us, with all their joys and sorrows, but way back, into the bronze and iron ages. Eventually their world was submerged by the tide of invading Romans, who themselves feel ancient to us. It feels like connecting across a deep abyss of time.

In addition to this one, there's also a small castro before Monforte de Lemos that's not far from the camino and mercifully not so much of a climb. It's well worth a visit. The castro I didn't have the 'juice' to check out is the one right before Ponte Ulla, before the descent to the river - the view from up there must be mind-boggling.

Last edited:

peregrina2000

Staff member
The castro I didn't have the 'juice' to check out is the one right before Ponte Ulla, before the descent to the river - the view from up there must be mind-boggling.
I walked up there several years ago, and though the view was nice, the site itself was kind of depressing. Lots of litter, a modern covering, I don't even remember if the ruins of the ancient fort were visible. So don't feel bad, you didn't miss much. Unless things have changed.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Ah good to know - thanks, Laurie, for saving me ghe trouble next time. :cool:🙏

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%