• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodafone or Orange ?

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
There are some very good Spanish SIM deals available for advance purchase in Australia .

The two main competitors Mobipassport and Prepaidsimcard use the Vodafone and Orange networks.

Their plans are not identical and therefore difficult to compare. But for me the deciding factor may be network coverage.

Which of the two provides the best network coverage including 3G as they both offer good data plans as part of the phone plan, however the best priced plan may be almost worthless unless it is supported by a good network coverage for the Camino Frances.

Thanks in advance

Frank

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a Vodaphone mobile phone. It works great on the Camino Frances and Portugues routes. Never had a problem with reception. Buen Camino.

Hi Frank,
I used Mobipassport's Vodafone last year and found the 3G coverage OK on the Frances.
Had a bit of a problem with 3G at around Castrojeriz, but don't recall any other issues.
However, I also used an EKIT prepaid (Flight Centre) for calling home to the Kids.
Col

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Frank,
You could probably disregard my EKIT comment as the rates back to Australia seem pretty good at Prepaidsimcard.
Col

colinPeter said:
Frank,
You could probably disregard my EKIT comment as the rates back to Australia seem pretty good at Prepaidsimcard.
Col

I used Ekit last year and the year before, mainly because I was travelling across Europe as well, this time I am in Spain almost all the time except for my arrival and departure through Paris

The Vodafone option from the Australia seller states that calls under 5 minutes to Australian landlines are at no cost ? I'd be interested to hear how true that claim is, and local calls are around EU 0.09 p/min 500 Mb data p/month for eu25.00

My main requirement is for email, FB, and local calls to reserve a bed etc, calls back home rare (if there are no dramas back home) if I need to call home for extended times then I will buy an international phone card.

Thanks to all for your feedback

Frank

ffp13 said:
The Vodafone option from the Australia seller states that calls under 5 minutes to Australian landlines are at no cost ? I'd be interested to hear how true that claim is, and local calls are around EU 0.09 p/min 500 Mb data p/month for eu25.00

My main requirement is for email, FB, and local calls to reserve a bed etc, calls back home rare (if there are no dramas back home) if I need to call home for extended times then I will buy an international phone card.

Thanks to all for your feedback

Frank
I used Vodafone on the Camino and found it good. That sounds like a good deal Frank.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Frank
Just wondering which SIM you settled on. Did it arrive quickly ?(I only have one week left to get this sorted). Easy to set-up? And any problems in Spain?
Not sure if you're in Oz or Spain at the moment but wherever I hope the sun is shining for you.
Debbie

orange has very poor coverage on my recent via de la plata walk. on the camino frances coverage is ok. i was told orange rents network coverage from big companies in spain like movistar, vodaphone.

i walked during this winter from sevilla to sdc with most days with no connection on the orange network. for some reason, pilgrims with spanish bought cell phones have no problems with connection with pay as you go orange contract.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ffp13 said:
[...]the deciding factor may be network coverage.... the best priced plan may be almost worthless unless it is supported by a good network coverage for the Camino Frances.
You can find all the necessary information on http://coberturamovil.es/ - admittedly in Spanish :cry: Although Orange has problems in certain areas, I am using their chip since many years on the Francès, admittedly for limited local calls only. :|

orange has very poor coverage on my recent via de la plata walk.
I definitely can second that, Orange worked well in southern Spain, but here in Castile it's really really bad. I heard that Vodafone worked well.

We have always used Orange, which also uses Movistar signals. This was for the Norte/Inglés/Primitivo and Galician end of the Francés. Good coverage for a simple phone - we do not have a 3G type.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd go with Vodaphone, I didn't have service with Orange on parts of the Meseta like Hornillos del Camino and on parts of the walk to Finsiterre.

Hi - I'm in Bayonne now and will travel to SJPDP tomorrow with a plan to start walking on Sunday :)

I'd like to get a Spanish SIM once I cross the border etc.....are you guys and gals using Data as well as Calls / Txt?? - if so, which provider do you recommend please?

Thanks.

I had Orange Mondo, which had an ok pricing. Prepaid. I used it mainly for data. When it worked it was ok, but I had bad coverage in mid-spain. (I was on the vdlp.)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.