• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodafone question

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am hoping that one of the phone experts on the forum will be able to answer my question. I have a prepaid Vodafone card, and it came with 100 GB of data for the next four weeks. I have unlimited data at home so I am not sure, but I think this is a lot. In any event, I would like to check on my balance. Last year I was able to do this by calling a number and asking for my “Saldo de datos” That doesn’t seem to work this year. I have gotten a text from Vodafone saying that I should text them via WhatsApp. But when I try to do that, they tell me that they don’t recognize my phone number. That must be because my old phone number is still in WhatsApp. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I might be able to find out what my balance of data is?

Muchas gracias!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am hoping that one of the phone experts on the forum will be able to answer my question. I have a prepaid Vodafone card, and it came with 100 GB of data for the next four weeks. I have unlimited data at home so I am not sure, but I think this is a lot. In any event, I would like to check on my balance. Last year I was able to do this by calling a number and asking for my “Saldo de datos” That doesn’t seem to work this year. I have gotten a text from Vodafone saying that I should text them via WhatsApp. But when I try to do that, they tell me that they don’t recognize my phone number. That must be because my old phone number is still in WhatsApp. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how I might be able to find out what my balance of data is?

Muchas gracias!
I would try to install their app and see if the services / usage shows there (I know Vodafone Romania does it)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I should text them via WhatsApp. But when I try to do that, they tell me that they don’t recognize my phone number.
That is probably because your WhatsApp user name is not the phone that you are enquiring about. If the WhatsApp enquiry and response are automated, this might be a problem. If the WhatsApp is read by a real person, you might just explain that you are enquiring about a different number. BUT for security reasons, they might not want to give out the information that way since there is no proof that you are the owner of the new number.

I think the suggestion by JCLima to install the Vodafone app is probably your best way to monitor your data usage.

Even so, I agree with everyone that 100 GB is a huge amount. I very rarely use over 3 GB at home or on the Camino. I don't watch movies, although I occasionally watch a short video item, and I generally don't update apps or maps without wifi. Other than those precautions, I use my data without issue.

Just install the Vodafone app - it's the easiest way. If you end up needing more than 4 weeks you can also use it to extend. For me it was useful because Vodafone allows free roaming in the US (though with a paltry 10gb) so after leaving Spain I continued to use it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie, I was also going to say you can install the app and see what happens 👍.

And wow, I wish I had 100GB a month! I don’t think I’d ever get through it, but just to have it around….

Muchas gracias!
Txt BAL to 144 or
DATA BAL to 144

Don't use WhatsApp for this txt.

You could also dial this string as if you are making a phone call
*111*2*2#

Last edited:

Muchas gracias!
When I worked for Vodafone, the easiest way was to check in their app.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
100GB will easily last the month for you @peregrina2000 .

Don't worry about it.

If you do and given that you are fluent in Spanish you can also check your balance and just about anything else by dialing *111# and then follow the prompts.

Anyone not fluent in Spanish should not try this.

Even though I have used Vodafone for years and I have worked within their back end infrastructure I choose not to use their app because it tends to take over aspects of my phone that I prefer to control myself.

Last edited:
I went off to check with my local Vodafone. They are a completely separate company but they usually use very similar technology out the back.

Vodafone ANZ no longer use USSD codes (*111# codes) and as of this year they also no longer provide data and others balances via txt message.

If this applies to Vodafone Spain then register for an account at https://m.vodafone.es , log in there and check your balance that way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
100GB should give you all you need unless you are going to spend your evenings streaming block-buster movies. I figure that is unlikely ;) A little restraint on Youtube should leave you with a comfortable surplus
I used my phone wide open (posting/googling/gps/WhatApp/FB Blog updates/everything) for 30 days in Spain and Portugal and never broke 6GB... No, I didn't stream blockbusters.. but I suspect 100GB at the end of 30 days will have about 92 GB left ...

Muchas gracias!
These are some quotes from the internet when I asked the question, "how much data is 100gb?"

100GB is a huge chunk of data to have access to each month. It's widely considered to be as close to an unlimited data plan as you can get without taking that final step.

A 100GB data plan will allow you to browse the internet for around 1200 hours, to stream 20,000 songs or to watch 200 hours of standard-definition video.

Activity100GB data is equal to...
Accessing web pages60,000 web pages (approx 1200 hours browsing)
Basic e-mail/instant message35,000,000 messages
Rich e-mail/IM (with attachments)200,000 messages
Downloading or streaming music20,000 songs
Downloading or streaming video (SD)200 hours
Downloading or streaming video (HD)50 hours
Skype voice call3000 hours
Skype video call400 hours
Listening to online radio1600 hours
Downloading or updating apps2500 apps

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.