• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodafone question

Kgaynor

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2023
I am leaving in 14 days for Porto. I have everything ready, but need to think about getting cell access. I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8 that I was going to bring. Can I take that device to Vodafone and get a prepaid SIM card? Sorry if this question is naive. I’ve always turned off my phone when travelling, but I’ll be travelling solo and feel better about having a phone. Also, would the SIM card work in Spain too?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never had an issue with my prepaid sim-card from vodafone.
It worked in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland.

The simple answer is: yes, I would recommend it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Short answer: yes, you can do that, there are lots of tourist deals, and EU regulations require that your SIM from one EU country will operate (at the same rates) in any other country.
I believe that is true for voice and text but I think the provider has more flexibility with how it handles cellular data.

I am leaving in 14 days for Porto. I have everything ready, but need to think about getting cell access. I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8 that I was going to bring. Can I take that device to vodaphone and get a prepaid SIM card? Sorry if this question is naive. I’ve always turned off my phone when travelling, but I’ll be travelling solo and feel better about having a phone. Also, would the SIM card work in Spain too?
I believe that is true for voice and text but I think the provider has more flexibility with how it handles cellular data.
I have not bought a Vodafone sim card in Portugal but I have been buying them in Spain for my last 4 caminos. They have a variety of plans. The plan I get is about 20 Euros for 28 days and easy to recharge right on your phone. I can call anywhere in the EU. There are different plans getting a prepaid sim that is mailed and the one you get in the store
Here is what I found in Portugal. Use Chrome to translate
Does not look like you get as much data on the Portugues plans but they may have other plans when you go in the Vodafone store. Plans also change depending on the time of year. At least they do in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Vodafone Portugal sells a tourist SIM card for 25 euros that provides 10G, a bunch of local texts/minutes and some international texts/minutes. It is good for 28 days. I'm walking the CP now, in Pontevedre and can confirm it works fine in Spain. You can buy them in LIS.

Lon
Short answer: yes, you can do that, there are lots of tourist deals, and EU regulations require that your SIM from one EU country will operate (at the same rates) in any other country.
Long answer - probably...

I was told that it was an EU requirement that SIM cards worked equally well in all EU countries.

However, in walking Camino Portuguese in 2019, the SIM card that I bought in Lisbon ceases to work once I crossed into Spain. The phone shop that I went to in the next major town (probably Vigo) told me that this was not uncommon..

My suggestion - assume it will until proved otherwise, and have a Plan B in mind should this occur.

However, in walking Camino Portuguese in 2019, the SIM card that I bought in Lisbon ceases to work once I crossed into Spain.
I don't know for sure but possibly this may be due to the phone settings not being enabled to allow roaming. Roaming allows the network on your SIM card to use cell towers belonging to other networks. This is usually with an additional charge but the EU ruling says that there can be no additional charge (for voice and text anyway). So it can be the phone trying to save money not knowing that it will cost the same anyway.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree with Rick; it's more likely to have been your phone setting. I discovered that the hard way when I crossed from France into Spain. I bought a new sim card when in fact all I had to do was put the phone setting on roam, or switch it over to the local service provider network.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.