• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vodaphone in Lisbon airport?

Julia en las flores

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues- May (2018)
Start in Porto with Spiritual Variant
I have read on several threads in the general forum that many people like using a Vodafone SIM card in their unlocked phone during their Camino. My questions are

1. Does it work in Portugal and can I get the SIM card at the aitport?

2. Any other suggestions for what I can use that have worked for you? I have an unlocked android and it is not possible to get an overseas plan on my current carrier: Red Pocket Mobil. I need to be able to make local calls in Portugal and Spain and need data for emergencies since I will be alone. I need to keep in touch with my kids back home as much as possible. They are young, so this is important.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have read on several threads in the general forum that many people like using a Vodafone SIM card in their unlocked phone during their Camino. My questions are

1. Does it work in Portugal and can I get the SIM card at the aitport?

2. Any other suggestions for what I can use that have worked for you? I have an unlocked android and it is not possible to get an overseas plan on my current carrier: Red Pocket Mobil. I need to be able to make local calls in Portugal and Spain and need data for emergencies since I will be alone. I need to keep in touch with my kids back home as much as possible. They are young, so this is important.
I'm in Portugal now. Get the Vodafone traveller package. 5 gig of data, 100 min of calling in Portugal and 30 min over seas. Use Whatsapp to keep in contact with your kids. With data on they and you can call just like a regular phone. This package will cost 2o Euro and does not run in Spain. Make sure your phone is unlocked.

I'm in Portugal now. Get the Vodafone traveller package. 5 gig of data, 100 min of calling in Portugal and 30 min over seas. Use Whatsapp to keep in contact with your kids. With data on they and you can call just like a regular phone. This package will cost 2o Euro and does not run in Spain. Make sure your phone is unlocked.

Thanks Dan. Am I able to get this at the airport? You say, "does not run in Spain"so do I have to get a Spanish Vodafone SIM card when I cross over into Spain? Or did you mean "Does not run out in Spain "? Julia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Julia en las flores you can get it on the airport and you can use it in Spain too.

See here:
https://www.vodafone.pt/main/visitingportugal/index

Okay, one more question. Is the Vodafone place in the airport before or after customs and baggage etc? I arrive 2 hours before the Vodafone store opens so that might cause some problems if I have to sit around waiting for Vodafone to open before I can get my bags and go to customs. I then need to catch a bus to Fatima, so I can't just go to another Vodafone store in Lisbon.
Any help would be appreciated.
Julia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Okay, one more question. Is the Vodafone place in the airport before or after customs and baggage etc? I arrive 2 hours before the Vodafone store opens so that might cause some problems if I have to sit around waiting for Vodafone to open before I can get my bags and go to customs. I then need to catch a bus to Fatima, so I can't just go to another Vodafone store in Lisbon.
Any help would be appreciated.
Julia
Just made a quick search and it seems to be after customs and luggage claim.

If something goes wrong at the airport you can always go to the store in Fátima (5/10min walking from bus station)

The Vodaphone shop is it after the customs and luggage claim. In the central hall
If you stay in Lisbon for some days you will find more Vodaphone shops in the center.

Last edited:
Just made a quick search and it seems to be after customs and luggage claim.

If something goes wrong at the airport you can always go to the store in Fátima (5/10min walking from bus station)

Great, thank you! Yes, I may just get it in Fatima before I am able to check into the place I am staying. I was able to find the store address online. Thanks for the help!
Julia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you! That was very helpful. I went ahead and reserved my SIM card.
Julia
Hi! There seems to be some confusion on various threads as to whether you can use the same phone SIM card in both Portugal and Spain. Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks!

Hi! There seems to be some confusion on various threads as to whether you can use the same phone SIM card in both Portugal and Spain. Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks!
The 15€ data card works just in Portugal; the 20€ phone card (data + communications) works in Portugal and all the other EEA countries.

The 15€ data card works just in Portugal; the 20€ phone card (data + communications) works in Portugal and all the other EEA countries.
Absolutely correct. I just purchased the 20€ card at the Porto airport today and the young lady there told me the same. She said the 20€ card would work, but that roaming charges would apply outside of Portugal.

Thank you for the follow up!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back