• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Moirax since it's foundation in the eleventh century has been a halt along the way for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostella. It is one day's walk from Agen and on the way to La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652). Église Notre-Dame de Moirax is a fine example of romanesque architecture and has a noteworthy collection of wooden panels carved in rounds, misericordias and stalls by Jean Tournière (1699).
IMG_6909r.JPG
A few days ago, having found an old Guide Joanne with an excellent description of the romanesque features of the church in Moirax, I decided to translate a portion and add a few of my own photos as illustration. I located other 19th and early 20th century sources including sketches and a lithograph by Abbé Barrère (1855) and an online collection of vintage postcards. I have put them all together here in a resource for you to enjoy.

Resource: Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Embellishment. Église Notre-Dame de Moirax

Moirax and the surrounding countryside warrants a day or two's rest and exploration. There is a gîte d'étape and café-épicerie in a quaint building beside the square. Pilgrims arrive in Moirax from Agen or La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/ GR652) and also from Aubiac or Layrac (Chemin Clunisian de Guyenne).

Bonne Chemin!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.