• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652: Frescoes. Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl, (near Pujols)

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652 : Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl, (near Pujols), France.

InkedCapture web_4-5-2021_9818_www.geoportail.gouv.fr_LI.jpg

Frescoes Then and Now, a pictorial comparison. A resource by Lovingkindness

In1865 L’abbé Gerbeau discovered medieval frescoes in a side chapel of Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl. Further discoveries were made by a team of archeologists in1969. Tracings were made of the frescoes at that time using plastic film then published in an article by L. Echasseriaud*

Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl is derelict and not open to the public. After asking a friend to help and presenting myself at the Mairie in Pujols, I was granted access for an hour in the company of council members. In this resource I have put together a pictorial comparison between the tracings of 1969 and the photos which I took April 28, 2021. Included is a partial translation of 'Historique', the opening section of Monsieur Echasseriaud's article.

*Echasseriaud, L. (1971). Les Fresques Medievales du Mail. Bulletin du Groupe Archeologique de Sauvetage du Villeneuvois. Tome 1. Fascicule 2.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Resource (login to download): https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/voie-de-rocamadour-gr-652-frescoes-Église-saint-etienne-du-maïl-nr-pujols-france.795/

Fresco. Saint-Etienne du Maïl. Photo by Lovingkindness .JPG

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Back