• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Voie de Tours

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
Has anyone walked recently between Aulnay and Saintes?
Anyone likely to be walking that way from 12 - 15 June?

Any information 're the route and accommodation gratefully received.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
Merci mspath.
I have the 2017 list already. I was really wondering whether there was anyone currently walking that étape and hoping to glean some recent experience.
Living south of Saintes I've previously walked from Saintes to Blaye. I now want to take a few days to walk from Aulnay and complete the Charente Maritime section.

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
You are a lucky lady to live in such a nice area! Hope that you do find a few recent walkers to provide current trail info.

The next time you are walking through northern France please do plan to stop at our farm on the Marne. We offer hospitality, beds and a glass of local champagne.

My first camino shell hangs at the door to welcome passing pilgrims.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
That's really kind of you. If ever I get to walk that way I'll look in and see you.

We are not here year round but do spend good chunks of the Summer in this lovely area.
Years ago having spotted the Chemin de St. Jacques path not far from our village I was curious and started walking it in small sections. My initial goal was to reach Blaye. Next goal was to reach and cross the Pyrenees into Spain. (For various reasons I skipped Les Landes and continued from St. Palais ) It took quite a few return visits over the years to pick up and finally complete last year and reach SDC then walk on to Finisterra.

Now the bug has bitten again!

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
Aulnay tonight, any pilgrims on here heading that way today ?

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
A quick report now I'm back.
First night at Aulnay excellent little (6 person) refuge. Me and one other pilgrim a delightful young man with tendonitis in his knee. He had to stop his planned walk.
Aulnay to St. Jean d'Angely a pleasant walk, signage good apart from losing my way on last lap close to St.Jean d'A. No other pilgrims, a very beautiful but solitary walk.
Abbaye Royale accommodation simple but good. No pilgrims to be seen.
St Jean d'A. to La Frediere. Pleasant walk , was very pleased to stop for a break chez forum member Tuesday Wild child. Met one cyclist (not a pilgrim) that's all.
Excellent overnight stay nr. la Frediere in old mill house. Dinner B&B very good.
Next day a beautiful walk from there to Saintes. Luckily that was mostly in wooded areas which was a relief as the weather was very hot.
This was a very different experience from walking the C.F. Few cafes, if any, sometimes a village shop.
Signage generally was very good. The walk did not feel at all threatening even for a lone female.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
Romanesque churches in almost every town village on this section.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
In Charente Maritime It's well marked mostly with large white bornes each bearing a shell and and a red arrow to show direction. Between Fontcouvert and Saintes a notice to follow the GR signs for a short time.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
PhotoGrid_1497558103606.jpg

The pilgrims refuge at Aulnay. Small but well appointed and comfortable. Municipal refuge but you can book in advance. Sleeps 6.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1497558103606.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1497558103606.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
@Purky
The rooms at the Abbaye Royale were fairly basic though the 12€ cost did include sheets and the 3 bedded room was en suite.

Purky

The Dutch guy
Reality is frequently inaccurate
@Purky
The rooms at the Abbaye Royale were fairly basic though the 12€ cost did include sheets and the 3 bedded room was en suite.

The Foyer de Charité was donativo for pilgrims. My room was spartan, but the level of hospitality and generosity was such that I have not been stingy.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
The abbaye also houses a music school. It had no communal facilities for pilgrims. .
I rang that morning and booked ahead. I was instructed to arrive before 18.00. After that there are no staff on reception. One is given a code for the door to a side street, you then you let yourself in and out via a series of corridors and stairs.
I never met another pilgrim in St. Jean d'Angely.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
Update.

According to an article in today's Sud Ouest newspaper
the Abbaye Royale in Saint Jean d'Angely closed its doors to pilgrims on 31December 2017 . Such a shame.

The association Le Bourdon 17 are seeking local people to offer pilgrims bed and board. Last June when I stayed at the Abbaye I saw a notice pinned to the door. It gave names / phone numbers of locals willing to offer accommodation.

Now where's Tuesday Wild Child and his wife? I know they are close by and were interested in offering a bed to pilgrims.

http:/association-le-bourbon-17.Marcello.fr or phone 06 99 44 53 62

Last edited:
Donation to the Forum
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
I live next to the Grand Châtenet section
Yes we are still wanting to offer accommodation and now it's closer as we have now purchased more property to enable this. I see it being late this year or early next before its ready as I gave another renovation first.
I will of course post details when it's available.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
For anyone walking the section between Saintes 17 and Pons17 there is a lovely new shelter for pilgrims just after Saint Leger . Not overnight accommodation but somewhere to sit, shelter from the sun or rain and maybe eat a snack. 20180418_093818.jpg 20180418_093611.jpg 20180418_093518.jpg
It's right on the chemin you can't miss it.

Purky

The Dutch guy
Reality is frequently inaccurate
For anyone walking the section between Saintes 17 and Pons17 there is a lovely new shelter for pilgrims just after Saint Leger. Not overnight accommodation but somewhere to sit, shelter from the sun or rain and maybe eat a snack. It's right on the chemin you can't miss it.

Whaddaya mean not overnight accommodation? It looks way better than a bus stop!

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino del Baztan 2018
@Purky
It is of course 1000 times better than a bus stop. Our local artisan builder / macon here in France told me that he was asked to create it. The local commune paid for the work.

Last edited: