• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

voltage adaptor for phone charger

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello!

I have never been to Spain before, and I'm wondering if I need a voltage adaptor to charge my phone. I know I needed to purchase one for my trip to Germany, but that was long ago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most modern phone chargers detect the voltage and adjust it. You will, however, need a plug adaptor to plug your charger into the wall in Spain. Do check your charger to see if it says 110-240 Volts to be sure. Some do not detect voltage. An exception is the little cube chargers for iPhones and iPod Touch, which work only on one voltage.

Hello!

I have never been to Spain before, and I'm wondering if I need a voltage adaptor to charge my phone. I know I needed to purchase one for my trip to Germany, but that was long ago.
Virtually all electronics chargers work on all voltages. You might also consider purchasing a European plug charger with more than one USB port so that you don't have to take an adapter plug, and you can share the outlet with a fellow peregrino. :)
You can buy them pretty cheaply on Amazon or even cheaper from AliExpress if you can wait for it to come from China.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will need a power supply for your phone or tablet that uses European voltages. This sort of universal charger is usually labelled 110 - 240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz. For reference, European voltage is typically 220-230 volts AC (VAC), at 50 Hz. North American voltage is usually 110-120 VAC at 60 Hz. Thus, a charger labelled 110 - 240 VAC, and 50 - 60 Hz will usually work.

Do avoid cheap Chinese-made chargers. There have been ample reports of scorched and "fried" mobile devices, and fires, as a result of using some of these. As a rule, I will only purchase an off-brand (non-Apple for example) charger from a known major supplier, like Belkin, Griffin, or Hama (in Europe)

For European use, the plug-end must be the two-round prong Shucko type plug, common in all of Europe (except the UK). Plug adapters are inexpensive and readily available worldwide. I use them and give them away. So I usually buy them a dozen or so at a time from:

(to convert two flat prongs to two-round Euro spec prongs)

http://www.220voltageappliance.com/...und-pin-accepts-polarized-plug-also-wmu5.html

(or to convert two round prongs to two flat prongs (my solution):

http://www.220voltageappliance.com/pack-of-4-european-to-american-flat-pinwmf7.html

Here, you can buy adapters, going either way, for only USD 2.99 for a pack of 4. That is USD 0.75 for one adapter. You cannot buy them, one-off, that cheap anywhere. If you are buying several units of 4 each, the postage is not too bad, especially when you consider what it would cost you to buy even ONE adapter in an airport gadget shop. I regularly see single plug adapters sold for €5 to €10 in airport shops. When my supply runs low at home, I just buy a dozen (3 x the 4-pack price). At the unit price I pay for them, I give them to friends, relatives, or other pilgrims I meet that need one, as I usually carry spares in my rucksack.

I regularly travel with Apple devices (iPhone and / or iPad) using a Lightning plug, and other electronic devices that require a micro-USB plug to charge. These micro-USB devices include a Canon digital camera and battery-powered, Bose ear-fit, noise-reducing earphones for flying.

My personal charging solution, and I travel to Europe regularly, is an Apple brand, Zippo-lighter shaped and sized Shucko plug tipped iPhone power supply that uses international (European) current. I use this is with combination charge / synch cable that I obtained from Griffin, the multinational accessory maker, that RETRACTS, and has BOTH a Lightning and Micro-USB tip attached. There is a standard USB connector on the other end.

I specifically settled on the Apple iPhone charger as it is flat and stores easier than the US sugar-cube shaped Apple adapter, or just about any other after-market adapter. My sole complaint is that Apple do not make a similarly shaped, higher amperage charger for the iPad. The Apple- Zippo charger will charge the iPad, albeit much, much slower.

Note, if your smart phone requires the same charging specification as the Apple branded charger provides, it DOES represents a small, easily-toted alternative to a larger, more square charger. You might consider it, if only from the esthetic viewpoint.

The Apple Euro-spec power charger, a US flat-bladed plug adapter, and the combination retractable cable all ride very flatly, in a small 5' x 4' LokSak ziplock plastic pouch that rides in one of my cargo pockets. This pouch is completely waterproof. It NEVER leaves my person. If I am wearing my cargo hiking pants, the charge kit is in one pocket...period. I usually get a few years and a couple of Caminos from one pouch.

These LokSak ziplock bags come in packages of 2 for USD 7.99 directly from LokSak. See: https://loksak.myshopify.com/collections/aloksak/5x4 You can also get them from LokSak in a combination package of several different sized LokSak bags. This might be a good idea for someone who wants a variety of sizes, like for carrying their national passport and pilgrim credential. The 4 x 7 inch size works great for this. I use one of these to carry my documents completely protected in the other cargo pocket when on Camino. I might get soaking wet or fall into soft gummy mud, and I do and did this past April, but the electronics or documents in the LokSak bags are very well protected.

You can easily buy the Apple iPhone adapter for about €25 in any shop across Europe that sells Apple accessories. I have bought these in FNAC shops, Carrefour, and in El Corte Ingles in Spain. You can get them in almost any mobile phone shop that sells Apple accessories. Airport gadget shops also sell them.

I use a reverse plug adapter solution. That is a two FLAT plug adapter to convert the round prongs on the Apple charger to two, flat blades for North American use. This eliminates the problem of losing an adapter while traveling overseas.

For inflight charging, the airline provided power outlets will usually accept EITHER flat or round plugs...I checked yesterday on an American Airlines domestic flight from Washington, DC to my home in south Florida. Also, I verified this was the case when I returned from Spain two weeks ago on United Airlines.

Stated another way, when traveling, I make my "native" plug configuration the Euro-standard, with a separate converter for North American use. To me, IMHO, this is the smarter way to go to avoid not having what you need when you most need it, which will usually be where a plug adapter is least available. Murphy's Law rules...

I hope this helps.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Most modern phone chargers detect the voltage and adjust it. You will, however, need a plug adaptor to plug your charger into the wall in Spain. Do check your charger to see if it says 110-240 Volts to be sure. Some do not detect voltage. An exception is the little cube chargers for iPhones and iPod Touch, which work only on one voltage.

Correction to my own post- The Apple cube iPhone charger IS dual voltage and is clearly marked 100-24V Output 5V 1A. It will require a European plug adaptor. The larger, iPad charger, is also 100-240V with 5.1V and 2.1A output, can have its plug removed and replaced with a European one, and can charge both an iPad and an iPhone. See attached photos

Attachments

• iphone charger.jpg
    iphone charger.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ipad charger.jpg
    ipad charger.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9
I specifically settled on the Apple iPhone charger as it is flat and stores easier than the US sugar-cube shaped Apple adapter, or just about any other after-market adapter. My sole complaint is that Apple do not make a similarly shaped, higher amperage charger for the iPad. The Apple- Zippo charger will charge the iPad, albeit much, much slower.

Note, if your smart phone requires the same charging specification as the Apple branded charger provides, it DOES represents a small, easily-toted alternative to a larger, more square charger. You might consider it, if only from the esthetic viewpoint.

The Apple Euro-spec power charger, a US flat-bladed plug adapter, and the combination retractable cable all ride very flatly, in a small 5' x 4' LokSak ziplock plastic pouch that rides in one of my cargo pockets. This pouch is completely waterproof. It NEVER leaves my person. If I am wearing my cargo hiking pants, the charge kit is in one pocket...period. I usually get a few years and a couple of Caminos from one pouch.

These LokSak ziplock bags come in packages of 2 for USD 7.99 directly from LokSak. See: https://loksak.myshopify.com/collections/aloksak/5x4 You can also get them from LokSak in a combination package of several different sized LokSak bags. This might be a good idea for someone who wants a variety of sizes, like for carrying their national passport and pilgrim credential. The 4 x 7 inch size works great for this. I use one of these to carry my documents completely protected in the other cargo pocket when on Camino. I might get soaking wet or fall into soft gummy mud, and I do and did this past April, but the electronics or documents in the LokSak bags are very well protected.

You can easily buy the Apple iPhone adapter for about €25 in any shop across Europe that sells Apple accessories. I have bought these in FNAC shops, Carrefour, and in El Corte Ingles in Spain. You can get them in almost any mobile phone shop that sells Apple accessories. Airport gadget shops also sell them.

I use a reverse plug adapter solution. That is a two FLAT plug adapter to convert the round prongs on the Apple charger to two, flat blades for North American use. This eliminates the problem of losing an adapter while traveling overseas.

For inflight charging, the airline provided power outlets will usually accept EITHER flat or round plugs...I checked yesterday on an American Airlines domestic flight from Washington, DC to my home in south Florida. Also, I verified this was the case when I returned from Spain two weeks ago on United Airlines.

Stated another way, when traveling, I make my "native" plug configuration the Euro-standard, with a separate converter for North American use. To me, IMHO, this is the smarter way to go to avoid not having what you need when you most need it, which will usually be where a plug adapter is least available. Murphy's Law rules...

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
You will need a power supply for your phone or tablet that uses European voltages. This sort of universal charger is usually labelled 110 - 240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz. For reference, European voltage is typically 220-230 volts AC (VAC), at 50 Hz. North American voltage is usually 110-120 VAC at 60 Hz. Thus, a charger labelled 110 - 240 VAC, and 50 - 60 Hz will usually work.

Do avoid cheap Chinese-made chargers. There have been ample reports of scorched and "fried" mobile devices, and fires, as a result of using some of these. As a rule, I will only purchase an off-brand (non-Apple for example) charger from a known major supplier, like Belkin, Griffin, or Hama (in Europe)

For European use, the plug-end must be the two-round prong Shucko type plug, common in all of Europe (except the UK). Plug adapters are inexpensive and readily available worldwide. I use them and give them away. So I usually buy them a dozen or so at a time from:

(to convert two flat prongs to two-round Euro spec prongs)

http://www.220voltageappliance.com/...und-pin-accepts-polarized-plug-also-wmu5.html

(or to convert two round prongs to two flat prongs (my solution):

http://www.220voltageappliance.com/pack-of-4-european-to-american-flat-pinwmf7.html

Here, you can buy adapters, going either way, for only USD 2.99 for a pack of 4. That is USD 0.75 for one adapter. You cannot buy them, one-off, that cheap anywhere. If you are buying several units of 4 each, the postage is not too bad, especially when you consider what it would cost you to buy even ONE adapter in an airport gadget shop. I regularly see single plug adapters sold for €5 to €10 in airport shops. When my supply runs low at home, I just buy a dozen (3 x the 4-pack price). At the unit price I pay for them, I give them to friends, relatives, or other pilgrims I meet that need one, as I usually carry spares in my rucksack.

I regularly travel with Apple devices (iPhone and / or iPad) using a Lightning plug, and other electronic devices that require a micro-USB plug to charge. These micro-USB devices include a Canon digital camera and battery-powered, Bose ear-fit, noise-reducing earphones for flying.

My personal charging solution, and I travel to Europe regularly, is an Apple brand, Zippo-lighter shaped and sized Shucko plug tipped iPhone power supply that uses international (European) current. I use this is with combination charge / synch cable that I obtained from Griffin, the multinational accessory maker, that RETRACTS, and has BOTH a Lightning and Micro-USB tip attached. There is a standard USB connector on the other end.

I hope this helps.

Is it possible to just buy a cord and plug for my iPhone that I can use in Spain? Is that what you meant by "Apple iPhone adapter ...in any shop across Europe that sells Apple accessories"?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it possible to just buy a cord and plug for my iPhone that I can use in Spain?
Sure. But why not just go into any travel store (or airport shop) and buy the little adapter to use with the cord and plug you already have. It will cost less than $5. See this link, for example. Attach it to your plug with duct tape, as it is very easy to leave behind in the outlet when you pack up!

The specific reason I chose to use the Apple, Euro-spec iPhone charger is that it is the flattest design I have seen, for any device that can use the same charging specifications. Every other device charger I have ever seen in Europe, and I am over there perhaps 3x annually, is "chunkier," much like the US spec, "sugar cube" charger.

It comes down to personal choice. As I stated, I ALWAYS carry the flat Euro charger and retractable cable on me. So flatter works better, FOR ME. Your optimum solution would be the one that works best FOR YOU.

I hope this helps.

I have spent the good part of a day looking for adapters in Victoria BC. None of the lighter weight adapters - my cellphone charger will convert either European or Canadian Current -- appear to be available. All that is available is converters that are running over $30 and are heavy.
Am i understanding correctly that when i get to Spain i can go to the shops in either Leon or Madrid and buy an adaptor or perhaps lighter a charger and plug my cellphones cord into [usp] end. Which type of shop would i be looking for.

I have spent the good part of a day looking for adapters in Victoria BC.
What @trecile has said is correct. You should be able to go into any "travel" store or probably any electronics shop in Victoria and get one. Ask for a "plug adapter from Canadian flat pins to European round pins."

If you can't find it, many shops at any international airport will carry them.

Edited to add: If you want this type of adapter, it is better to buy it in North America, since only North Americans will be looking for this particular item. Alternatively, in Europe, you can easily buy a USB charger that plugs into a European outlet, and has a standard USB port on the other side where you plug your cable in.

The lightest weight solution is to buy a Euro-plug-to-USB device for a few Euros once in Europe. Airports, train stations, not to mention phone stores, will all carry them. Do take your flat-prong (North American) plug with you as well, to use on the plane and in the North American airports while in transit.

The lightest weight solution is to buy a Euro-plug-to-USB device for a few Euros once in Europe. Airports, train stations, not to mention phone stores, will all carry them. Do take your flat-prong (North American) plug with you as well, to use on the plane and in the North American airports while in transit.
Thank you. i like this option and sort of what i hoped for. What should be happening in Victoria and what is aren't the same. I checked pretty well everywhere to day either i person or by phone - only the convertors are available. They are heavy and expensive. The option of just buying a simple charger that works in Europe is the best option: i was hoping it was available. Glad to hear it is.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.