• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Voltaren Avilability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
In the past I have had problems with my right foot and toes and have used Voltaren to help with the pain/inflammation. However, during my training for the past couple of months I've been pain free. I was thinking I could skip carrying the Voltaren in my pack if it is readily available in Spain in case problems flare up. Is it pretty available? I'm assuming I don't need a prescription.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the past I have had problems with my right foot and toes and have used Voltaren to help with the pain/inflammation. However, during my training for the past couple of months I've been pain free. I was thinking I could skip carrying the Voltaren in my pack if it is readily available in Spain in case problems flare up. Is it pretty available? I'm assuming I don't need a prescription.
Do you mean the gel or the tablets? I know the gel was available in 2019.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gel. I didn’t know it was available as a tablet. Wouldn’t a tablet be the same as ibuprofen?
Not at all. I used to get prescribed Voltaren tablets for a back problem - among the possible side affects are:

Upset stomach, nausea, heartburn, diarrhoea, constipation (but not at the same time) gas, headache, drowsiness, and dizziness.

They can also have long term effects on the liver.

Better local external application than ingestion - or so my current doctor tells me!

Gel. I didn’t know it was available as a tablet. Wouldn’t a tablet be the same as ibuprofen?
The active ingredient in Voltaren is Diclofenac, it is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug ). But can have considerable side effects.
I can take Ibuprofen for instance, but have ended up in hospital after only one Voltaren tablet, with a bleeding ulcer, as did my father a few years earlier.
My grandmother died after taking them for 3 days, the internal bleeding was uncontrollable and she died just after being admitted to hospital.
Of course as a family our reactions are more severe than most people experience, but I feel its a remedy best discussed with a doctor first.
Whereas the gel, as topical, wont have the same issues.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not sure f you're talking about the topical rub or the tablets, but in my experience, they sell something better than Voltaren. It's ibuprofen based where Voltaren is not, and it was magical on my feet after a long day of walking. Much more effective than Voltaren for me, anyway.
Buen Camino!

Voltaren 50mg enteric coated tablets are easier to find than Smarties .
It is a serious and very effective drug if used correctly .
Taken with a substantial meal well before lying down at night reduces reflux side effects .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If any of you pilgrims are ever in Mexico you can buy the prescription strength Voltaren 3.2% of Diclofenac which I believe is more than 2x the strength of the over the counter Voltaren. You can buy it really cheaply in pharmacies. At the Costco pharmacy you can buy a pack with a 100g and a 50g tube that is perfect to take on the Camino with you. I costs about 15US.

It was certainly available in the past, so I expect it still is. I have an almost empty tube of Voltadol Forte (gel) in front of me now, that I bought over the counter several years ago.
This is what I also bought in a farmacía, no prescription required. Worked wonderfully for my shin splint without the adverse effects that limit the amount of ibuprofen that you can take orally. I could never remember the name of it without looking at the tube, so in my Camino family we just referred to it as Voldemort. 😂

The ointment has been a Camino staple for years in Spain and Portugal. It was my custom to buy a fresh, small tube at the start of each Camino - as I KNEW I would need it for my ankles, knees and hips.

It is available over the counter in any pharmacy. The labeling is different from that seen in the US. I believe the ingredients might also be slightly different so as to keep Voltaren an Over the Counter (OTC) drug here in the States. Pharmacists in Europe can sell you many things that would require a prescription in the States or Canada.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All pharmacies in the EU will carry both Voltaren gel and Ibuprofen Gel. I usually fill my luggage with Ibuprofen gel on the way home because it is not available in the USA (with our without prescription). I find the 10% gel to be more effective than Voltaren gel.

It gel is nowadays called Voltadol Forte - propably they have the weeker one ,to - and is available in tubes for 100 and 50 grams.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A note of warning.
Do not use this product without consulting your doctor especially if you have heart disease. I found out when I got home from my camino that Voltron/Voltrol had contra indications with my heart medications and could have caused serious issues for me.
Also be especially careful if you are also taking oral NSAIDS like ibuprofen.

You can also purchase ibuprofen gel at the local pharmacies( it is behind the counter) which is a good generic substitute however be mindful of the dosage. The Spanish version tends to be stronger.

However, during my training for the past couple of months I've been pain free.
Thats right. The key to the painless Camino is to keep the body in a proper shape. That also applies to the graduate warming up in the mornings and not exceeding limits at the end of the day. I have to admit I violated this rule once on VdlP when in a sunny and chilly morning over accelerated and ended up with a tibial tendonitis. Voltaren emulgel, available in Spanish pharmacies allowed me to walk anyway.
Regarding peroral ibuprofen you NEED TO KNOW how much you can tolerate. It is sold in 600mg tablets. If you don't and there there is an ulcer history, then it makes sense to refrain from it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just bought Voltaren gel that is 23.2 mg/g. Surprisingly the directions state it can be applied every 12 hours.

It was certainly available in the past, so I expect it still is. I have an almost empty tube of Voltadol Forte (gel) in front of me now, that I bought over the counter several years ago.
I, too, still have some Voltadol Forte.

A note of warning.
Do not use this product without consulting your doctor especially if you have heart disease. I found out when I got home from my camino that Voltron/Voltrol had contra indications with my heart medications and could have caused serious issues for me.
I am appalled at this discussion. Diclofenac and ibuprofen are both potentially dangerous medications.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thats right. The key to the painless Camino is to keep the body in a proper shape. That also applies to the graduate warming up in the mornings and not exceeding limits at the end of the day. I have to admit I violated this rule once on VdlP when in a sunny and chilly morning over accelerated and ended up with a tibial tendonitis. Voltaren emulgel, available in Spanish pharmacies allowed me to walk anyway.
Regarding peroral ibuprofen you NEED TO KNOW how much you can tolerate. It is sold in 600mg tablets. If you don't and there there is an ulcer history, then it makes sense to refrain from it.
This is a good point.
I found ibuprofen in Spain sold in 400mg, and 600mg. In NZ the over the counter dosage is 200mg, the others require prescription. A Camino doctor friend in 2016, pointed out that the Paracetamol in Spanish pharmacies was also much stronger than we can get as well - she was planning to stock up on it.
It is easy to just grab something off the shelf without reading it properly, and get a stronger dose than anticipated.
Given my medical history I am super careful with any medications - I even wear a medic alert bracelet to advise the Diclofenac issue in emergencies.
I literally saw people popping painkillers and NSAIDS like lollies on the Camino.
You could easily find yourself mixing and matching medications and causing damage - always check out your options with your doctor - many of them are not as harmless you think.

Here's a question for you: my podiatrist gave me a prescription for the diplofenac 75g 3 weeks ago and I only made it 5 days before tapering it off to eventually quit it 10 days after that. Reason? I had sudden loose bowels so bad I almost embarrassed myself twice at work. At my follow up today, he asked "do you never get loose bowels or IBS with Advil?" Son of a ....! I never connected the two. So I am now NSAID free unless the pain is that bad. No more Vitamin I of any form for me.

What are the alternatives for pain meds that don't involve an NSAID/ibuprofen? And what would I buy in Spain as an alternative to that gel?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Voltaren gel cream is readily available. If you take Voltaren (diclofenac) prescription in pill form, that might be trickier to get.

Here's a question for you: my podiatrist gave me a prescription for the diplofenac 75g 3 weeks ago and I only made it 5 days before tapering it off to eventually quit it 10 days after that. Reason? I had sudden loose bowels so bad I almost embarrassed myself twice at work. At my follow up today, he asked "do you never get loose bowels or IBS with Advil?" Son of a ....! I never connected the two. So I am now NSAID free unless the pain is that bad. No more Vitamin I of any form for me.

What are the alternatives for pain meds that don't involve an NSAID/ibuprofen? And what would I buy in Spain as an alternative to that gel?
Ask your doctor if the topical gel will work for you.

Take it with you. I got tendonitis unexpectedly. Went to a pharmacy but the lady couldn't understand and offered sun screen. Second one gave me voltarin cream so yes readily available but not worth the hassle.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

One talks it through with your MD before you go on a Camino.
If not possible you will visit a local centro de salud /farmacia in Spain for expert advice and not rely on felllow pilgrims on and off the forum.

Just bought Voltaren gel that is 23.2 mg/g. Surprisingly the directions state it can be applied every 12 hours.
That strength has just been released for OTC sale in Australia. The previous strength, still available, and on my shelf at home, is 11.6 mg/g.
So, the new gel is double the strength.
As a daily consumer anyway of a 50gm Voltaren pill, I was concerned about lathering even more directly on newly arrived arthritis of the feet.
However a trial of the lower strength gel seemed to elicit no improvement.
One trial solution would be to halve the dose to a 25gm pill, and try the new stronger gel on my feet.
I'm thinking about it.
I've consulted the medicos and in the end it will be my decision, not theirs. It's not their feet that are hurting with every step.
Medication is only one part of the equation however.
Trial variations to diet, to footwear, to exercise and to weight are also factors that need to be considered.
Regards
Gerard

I brought meds from home that were prescribed for me but I rarely used as I found alternatives.

-50mg diclofenac pills for Costochondritis that a naturopath added turmeric to an existing tincture as a replacement and it works just as well for me

- 7.5mg diclofenac cream with lidocaine(that's prescription strength in Canada) for an ankle problem that I luckily found some exercises that take care of it.

Currently sitting in Santiago because after 100km of flat ground my knee said no more. Patiently waiting for my husband to reach Santiago.

In the beginning neither the pills nor cream even began to touch the pain. Now after 10 days of sitting this sudden injury (zero pain until the day of) is starting to react a bit to meds but I only take them if absolutely necessary. No need to go home with different problems caused by meds.

I do recall hearing about Arnica as a natural anti-inflammatory. It's really about finding what works for you.

The fact that these meds are only sold in Farmacias in Spain should be a huge clue as to how seriously they should be treated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank goodness I have been spared from the need to carry medication in advance. So I usually put only some anti-diarrhea pills in a pocket because simply there could be not enough time to reach pharmacy 🥴..

I am appalled at this discussion. Diclofenac and ibuprofen are both potentially dangerous medications.
Can you please elaborate on why you believe they are dangerous? I've used both of them regularly for several years without any problem other than the 10% ibuprofen gel causing some skin minor skin flaking. Fortunately, I no longer need them, as I now have good orthotics which have fixed my plantar fasciitis. If one has a chronic disease of any type (including heart disease), it would be prudent to discuss all your medications (OTC or prescribed and even supplements with your doctor. There are many drug and supplement interactions.

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate on why you believe they are dangerous?
The exact words were "potentially dangerous", which is quite different. I think that some examples have already been given.

All medical opinions or comments on the forum must be considered amateur since we have no way to verify the qualifications and accuracy.

The OP's question has been answered, and some good additional comments made, so let's leave it there!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back