• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteer oppurtunities

davidcc77777

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 camino francés
Hello everyone,
I am applying for a scholarship that would let me walk the camino in 2017 (one of my life long goals). I want to give back to the camino, and it would help my chances of getting this scholarship. Does anyone know of a type of volunteer I could do for a max of a week while on the camino. I was expecting the alburques would love help for a few days on top of the volunteers there, but none have responded. Or if anyone knew an organization that helped out the towns along the camino i would love to hear from you. Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My guess is that albergues would want someone who has walked the Camino, so they can relate to pilgrims and give them advice, and also someone who would commit for a longer period of time (hospitaleros do 2 week stints) as one week will barely have your getting your berings, and will have taken someone to train you for you only to leave,

Some interntional associations offer hospitalero training so they are able to hot the ground running. Would you be willing to do that before getting to Spain?

Also, language could be an issue. Are you fluent enoigh in Spanish to call the electrician and explain the problem?

All things to consider.

My guess is that albergues would want someone who has walked the Camino, so they can relate to pilgrims and give them advice, and also someone who would commit for a longer period of time (hospitaleros do 2 week stints) as one week will barely have your getting your berings, and will have taken someone to train you for you only to leave,

Some interntional associations offer hospitalero training so they are able to hot the ground running. Would you be willing to do that before getting to Spain?

Also, language could be an issue. Are you fluent enoigh in Spanish to call the electrician and explain the problem?

All things to consider.
I was more hoping for an opportunity other than being a hospitalero. Due to time constraints I probably wouldn't have the time to do this through the scholarship. I have enough Spanish to be able to communicate things like that. I would be willing to do training through an international association, but like I said the scholarship would prevent me from doing it for more than a week. Thank you for the help though!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps if you can give a few examples of what you have in mind it may help.

I suppose there is ditch duty: grabbing a garbage bag or two and walk a stretch of the Camino every day picking up what some with little sens have left behind.
I was hoping owners of private alburques would enjoy extra assistance, or pilgrim offices would have certain things i could help with. I even contacted some monasteries hoping there was something i could do to give back to the communities in the towns along the camino. Really anything that would help make a difference for the people that help to make the camino the great experience that it is. I never thought it'd be so hard to offer free assistance. If you have any insight I would love to hear it. Thank you.

@davidcc77777
The private albergue El Serbal y la Luna at Pieros, between Cacabelos and Villafranca del Bierzo, is often looking for volunteers. E-mail:
alberguedepieros@gmail.com I believe that their volunteers stay for varying lengths of time. In general, they do the same type of work as hospitaleros, especially cooking and cleaning, as the managers of the albergue welcome and sign in pilgrims. Good luck in making arrangements for your camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why don't you contact your national pilgrims' association. They have an ear to the ground and are in contact with a number of albergues. In the US that would be the American Pilgrims on the Camino: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/

There is also a place called Pilgrim House in Santiago.
http://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/

I am guessing some places may be concerned about insurance? I have no idea.

I saw an albergue this spring that was offering free room and board in exchange for being a hospy. It was albergue Ninho, in Rubiaes, on the Portuguese, on the Portuguese section, after Ponte de Lima.

David,not to knock your offer at all.
But as one who often gets this kind of request, I just want to offer a few words that may explain the lack of response. Though your offer may be useful, there are hidden challenges on the receiving end that you may not be aware of. Offers voluntary help require a certain amount of work to organize and arrange--not to mention the training in the specific situation that is needed. So short term offers, no matter how sincere they are, are often more trouble than they're worth.
If you are hoping to get a scholarship, there may be other ways (closer to home) to fill out your CV to reflect your willingness to help and your genuine interest in the Camino.

@davidcc77777
The private albergue El Serbal y la Luna at Pieros, between Cacabelos and Villafranca del Bierzo, is often looking for volunteers. E-mail:
alberguedepieros@gmail.com I believe that their volunteers stay for varying lengths of time. In general, they do the same type of work as hospitaleros, especially cooking and cleaning, as the managers of the albergue welcome and sign in pilgrims. Good luck in making arrangements for your camino.
Thank you very much I really appreciate the help!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why don't you contact your national pilgrims' association. They have an ear to the ground and are in contact with a number of albergues. In the US that would be the American Pilgrims on the Camino: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/

There is also a place called Pilgrim House in Santiago.
http://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/

I am guessing some places may be concerned about insurance? I have no idea.

I saw an albergue this spring that was offering free room and board in exchange for being a hospy. It was albergue Ninho, in Rubiaes, on the Portuguese, on the Portuguese section, after Ponte de Lima.
Thank you I will check into the US association. I contacted the pilgrim house and sent in an application, but they have yet to get back to me (hopefully they do!) Thank you very much for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David, hello. I think it is great that you want to 'give' on Camino rather than receive - a Good thing. So far you have thought of fitting yourself in to already existing organisations - but have you yet thought about this in a different way? An independent way?
Thousands upon thousands of pilgrims are 'out there' every year, from many countries and diverse occupations and lifestyles ... so what may they need? What do they need? You could set up a rest stop with shade and just hand out oranges and fruit water .... tell me one pilgrim who would not be grateful for that.

It depends upon age and confidence, of course, but you could do a first aid course, build a first aid pack and go to Camino and offer first aid - I can tell you that many really need that. I go twice a year to offer first aid and pastoral care (yep, I'm another one of those pesky Christians, a Unitarian Franciscan) and depending upon when you will be on Camino, and where, if we met up you could come with me for a few days to be "trained up" in the specific pilgrim first aid issues and then go off by yourself ... David, what better than to help others?

You could take a massage course and go on Camino and do exactly that, massage - again, you would have plenty of takers!

You do not say what your scholarship application is that going on Camino to volunteer would enhance it, but my guess that going off independently and doing your "own thing" purely in aid of others, rather than just volunteering in an established organisation could really enhance that application.

Just a few thoughts - were you to like the first aid option - and please note that it is not for everyone as it can be rather messy, smelly, and sometimes bloody!! - then I would be happy to send you a complete kit list as well as some tips and the 'rules', that start with 'do no harm'.

Good luck with what you do, and, Buen Camino!

If a ditch crew is suitable. I will sponsor you in public albergues and pay for trash bags. You might consider slowing your pace for a week, while cleaning the Camino making the world a better place and not requiring lodging and training sometimes required. I know this probably doesn't fit your original model but it is an offer.... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA

Hello everyone,
I am applying for a scholarship that would let me walk the camino in 2017 (one of my life long goals). I want to give back to the camino, and it would help my chances of getting this scholarship. Does anyone know of a type of volunteer I could do for a max of a week while on the camino. I was expecting the alburques would love help for a few days on top of the volunteers there, but none have responded. Or if anyone knew an organization that helped out the towns along the camino i would love to hear from you. Thank you!

Thanks for a well intentioned offer. I was a recipient of an APOC scholarship for 2014. But I don't think I applied until after I had attended a hospitalero training and FOUND a placement. It took some doing on my part but I learned a lot about the whole process from begining to end. And as one poster mentioned, it IS a lot of work for someone to train you for a job. And it's also important to have previous experience on the Camino. It's not to be taken lightly. If you have the capacity to be very independant as a first timer them go for the volunteer thing.
Buen Camino!
R-

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[Q
David - do you have any requirements for the week of your time you are offering? For example - Are you looking for accommodation, food, expenses? When are you available and what kinds of things would you like to do which match your skill set?
If I get it, the scholarship would be able to cover the expenses for food and accommodations. I plan to start the camino on the 5 th of june and stop for a week on my way to Santiago to volunteer. Really any kind of work would match my skill set: cooking, cleaning, laundry, or signing pilgrims in.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
David, hello. I think it is great that you want to 'give' on Camino rather than receive - a Good thing. So far you have thought of fitting yourself in to already existing organisations - but have you yet thought about this in a different way? An independent way?
Thousands upon thousands of pilgrims are 'out there' every year, from many countries and diverse occupations and lifestyles ... so what may they need? What do they need? You could set up a rest stop with shade and just hand out oranges and fruit water .... tell me one pilgrim who would not be grateful for that.

It depends upon age and confidence, of course, but you could do a first aid course, build a first aid pack and go to Camino and offer first aid - I can tell you that many really need that. I go twice a year to offer first aid and pastoral care (yep, I'm another one of those pesky Christians, a Unitarian Franciscan) and depending upon when you will be on Camino, and where, if we met up you could come with me for a few days to be "trained up" in the specific pilgrim first aid issues and then go off by yourself ... David, what better than to help others?

You could take a massage course and go on Camino and do exactly that, massage - again, you would have plenty of takers!

You do not say what your scholarship application is that going on Camino to volunteer would enhance it, but my guess that going off independently and doing your "own thing" purely in aid of others, rather than just volunteering in an established organisation could really enhance that application.

Just a few thoughts - were you to like the first aid option - and please note that it is not for everyone as it can be rather messy, smelly, and sometimes bloody!! - then I would be happy to send you a complete kit list as well as some tips and the 'rules', that start with 'do no harm'.

Good luck with what you do, and, Buen Camino!
I really really love your idea and want to thank you so much. I am a premedical student so offering first aid helo would be right up my ally! The scholarship is for unique self driven out of classroom experiences, so I think this would be the perfect thing for me to do! I would love to hear more about this option if you could? my email is davidc2014@gmail.com if you would be able to email me more information! Thank you very much!

If a ditch crew is suitable. I will sponsor you in public albergues and pay for trash bags. You might consider slowing your pace for a week, while cleaning the Camino making the world a better place and not requiring lodging and training sometimes required. I know this probably doesn't fit your original model but it is an offer.... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA
I believe I am going to bring trash bags to clean along my journey, and that is very kind of you to sponsor me, but there is not need because if I am able to get the scholarship, it will cover all costs. However, I am very touched by the gesture!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone,
What a wonderful and kind thing you are offering. I have no ideas as we will walk in Sept of 2017. You have given us inspiration.

I live on the camino, and people often volunteer here for different periods of time. (we have a house where pilgrims can stay, and we help out with some albergues too. I deal with dozens of volunteers each year.)
My advice? Walk the entire camino first, as a pilgrim. Keep your eyes and ears and options open. You will find something along the way that suits you -- maybe you'll stop along the way, maybe you'll double back once you get to Santiago. You do well to NOT plan to far ahead, as things don't work that way here.
Fast and loose and providential. It's how we roll.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I live on the camino, and people often volunteer here for different periods of time. (we have a house where pilgrims can stay, and we help out with some albergues too. I deal with dozens of volunteers each year.)
My advice? Walk the entire camino first, as a pilgrim. Keep your eyes and ears and options open. You will find something along the way that suits you -- maybe you'll stop along the way, maybe you'll double back once you get to Santiago. You do well to NOT plan to far ahead, as things don't work that way here.
Fast and loose and providential. It's how we roll.
Yeah I understand that would be ideal,b ut unfortunately for the nature of the scholarship I would have to have everything planned somewhat ahead of time. Or at least evidence that someone would be willing to host my volunteer services. But thank you!

Hello everyone,

David I completed the French camino this October. There were 4 places where I met volunteers.
Herrerias- Albegue Refugio Las Herreria -a young couple who came in that night helped serve dinner. There was also a gentleman that helped that was there for a month. I saw him wiping down the beds the next day before we left.
Here is the contact information I found.
654 35 39 40
Emailto:alberguelove@gmail.com

Foncebadon
Albergue Monte Irago
695 452 950
alberguemonteirago@hotmail.es

La Furnte del Peregrino
http://lafuentedelperegrino.com/
This one there was a mom and her son from the US who were volunteering for a week. Try this link to there site.

The last one I have not been able to pull any information. Sorry. Hope these help. It is a magical mystical journey.
Have a Buen Camino.
Nelia from Texas.

Ps I posted 2 photos of the albegues Hope it works.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    561.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.png
    image.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 7
David I completed the French camino this October. There were 4 places where I met volunteers.
Herrerias- Albegue Refugio Las Herreria -a young couple who came in that night helped serve dinner. There was also a gentleman that helped that was there for a month. I saw him wiping down the beds the next day before we left.
Here is the contact information I found.
654 35 39 40
Emailto:alberguelove@gmail.com

Foncebadon
Albergue Monte Irago
695 452 950
alberguemonteirago@hotmail.es

La Furnte del Peregrino
http://lafuentedelperegrino.com/
This one there was a mom and her son from the US who were volunteering for a week. Try this link to there site.

The last one I have not been able to pull any information. Sorry. Hope these help. It is a magical mystical journey.
Have a Buen Camino.
Nelia from Texas.

Ps I posted 2 photos of the albegues Hope it works.
Thank you very much I'll be sure to contact them now. I really appreciate the help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone,

Hi David. We live in the Camino near Palas de Rei. We have a place by the river with a camping area and a restaurant. Our place works on donations and we rely on volunteers like you to make it run, since we just started as a non-for profit organisation. Basically we would need help with the camping, doing some cleaning and gardening, as we are gardening a big extension of land which is what takes more of our time. At the moment we're working on building a food forest in order to produce fruit and show local people and pilgrims there is a way to preserve native forests.
If you're interested, get in touch!

dpardomarono@gmail.com

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back