• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering again in Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds great.

What goes on in a 'Huiskame' :confused:

Here you go @Robo .Different languagegroups have their own gatherings. All have a room upstairs at the Pilgrim's Office. Except for the Germans I believe . They tend to gather at the Cathedral.
I also thought their was an Italian representation but I might be mistaken.

Marianne and myself are Volunteering in the "Huiskamer, first floor above the Pilgrimsoffice " from May first til May 15th.
Say hello when you arrive in Santiago at that time.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino. 🙏

I am planning my 2020 Camino now. I will adjust my dates accordingly...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Click on the BLUE LINK in my signature... That takes you to the thread that contains EVERYTHING you need to know...

Hope it helps.

Take into consideration that @mette was referring to volunteering in the Huiskamer.
They work independently from the Oficina.

@mette
You have to be a member of the Dutch Confraternity , having arrived as a pilgrim at least once in Santiago, attending an introduction day and of course some basic social and communication skills.

Every national Confraternity has different rules for volunteering. Some also have their specific albergues where they help out.

Last edited:
You have to be a member of the Dutch Confraternity , having arrived as a pilgrim at least once in Santiago, atteding an introduction day and of course some basic social and communication skills.

I suppose that speaking Dutch (or Flemish) is also a condition (as the job is to welcome Dutch - and Flemish - pilgrims), but the website does not actually mention this.

I suppose that speaking Dutch (or Flemish) is also a condition (as the job is to welcome Dutch - and Flemish - pilgrims), but the website does not actually mention this.

Even then both sides sometimes have difficulties understanding each other because of the strong regional accents...
Except us from " Limburg " of course because we speak a bit slower in general... 🤣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take into consideration that @mette was referring to volunteering in the Huiskamer.
They work independently from the Oficina.

@mette
You have to be a member of the Dutch Confraternity , having arrived as a pilgrim at least once in Santiago, atteding an introduction day and of course some basic social and communication skills.

Every national Confraternity has different rules for volunteering. Some also have their specific albergues where they help out.

I know. My Dutch friends made me an honorary Nederlander some years ago. Among other things, I assembled most all of their new Ikea furniture in 2016, when I happened to arrive at Santiago off my Camino a week earlier and had time. So, I pitched in and got it done...

Also, Peter and I know each other socially as well.

Whenever I work downstairs, I visit my Dutch friends daily.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peter, I will finally get to meet you in person this coming May...can't wait! I want to spend a bit of time with you and Marianne
If anyone is transiting through Amsterdam and wants to make friends with the volunteers at Huiskammer, bring them some drop:
:cool::eek:

Here you go @Robo .Different languagegroups have their own gatherings. All have a room upstairs at the Pilgrim's Office. Except for the Germans I believe . They tend to gather at the Cathedral.
I also thought their was an Italian representation but I might be mistaken.

And for those who struggle to speak anything but English (i.e. most Brits) there's also an Irish presence - last year the delightful Sister Katherine was there with a plentiful supply of Barry's tea.

And for those who struggle to speak anything but English (i.e. most Brits) there's also an Irish presence - last year the delightful Sister Katherine was there with a plentiful supply of Barry's tea.
I speak English, but am from the USA, not a Brit, and I and speak very litttle Spanish, etttc.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If anyone is transiting through Amsterdam and wants to make friends with the volunteers at Huiskammer, bring them some drop:
:cool::eek:

This is absolutely true. Except and for some reason, they adore the salty variety, marked SEL. Some years ago, living near Antwerp, I bought some in the railway station confectionary. I thought it was traditional, sweet licorice.

WOW! It is definitely an acquired taste...

If you are prepared for the very salty taste, that is one thing. But if not, one usually feels they made an error in judgement.

The other thing that is ALWAYS welcome are the Lotus branded (or other local NL brands) of Speculaas. These are the oval cinnamon flavored biscuits that are hugely popular in both Belgium and the Netherlands. They are very popular with tea and coffee.

Maria galletas are often used to feed the visiting pilgrims. But a taste of home is always appreciated.

You can find the speculaas biscuits in most grocery stores. IIRC they even sell them at the Froiz in Plaza Toural...

I try to never go to the Huiskamer empty handed...

Hope this helps.

Peter, I will finally get to meet you in person this coming May...can't wait! I want to spend a bit of time with you and Marianne over coffee or breaking bread.

When do YOU project you will arrive at Santiago? I am planning to walk a segment of the Via de la Plata in April / May. Still looking at maps and guides...

I will likely start in Sevilla sometime in April, well after the Semana Santa /Easter week surge, and do either half or one third... TBD... The 'boss' will not permit me to try to walk the entire route in one go. That would take sustained six-weeks. She keeps me on a short(ish) tether...

To meet with you, as well as to spend some time with Peter and his wife at the Huiskamer, I will plan to adjust my dates accordingly. I know when he will be there. What about you?

You can send a PM if you wish to move this offline.

Marianne and myself are Volunteering in the "Huiskamer, first floor above the Pilgrimsoffice " from May first til May 15th.
Say hello when you arrive in Santiago at that time.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino. 🙏
Greetings from the Huiskamer! We are still open until 31 October! Indeed: coffee, tea and a listening ear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.