• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Volunteering as a Hospitalero

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Any pointers/tips on how I go about volunteering for a week or two please?
Look up Pilgrim organization in your country. For instance American Pilgrims on Camino holds hospitalero training courses. americanpilgrims.com

Good luck.

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela

Phil W

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Melide, May-early July 2016,
Zamora Dec 2017 as Hospitalero
Any pointers/tips on how I go about volunteering for a week or two please?
Expanding on @nycwalking said above you can go to http://caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/comun/inicio.asp where training is listed in several countries. I have attended the American Pilgrims on the Camino course and found it excellent and served as a hospitalero last December and will again this December. American Pilgrims on the Camino have an upcoming training in November, http://www.americanpilgrims.org/.

Phil

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Have you walked the Camino?
If so, you might contact Rebekah from Moratinos and consider volunteering at San Anton.
Breathtaking experience!

KSM

Camino(s) past & future
walked camino France's April/may 2015!!!!!
Tickets booked..... Backpack almost ready ...... Training ongoing .....mental state: beyond excited! ...... Leaving to complete el camino frances april 22nd!!!
Hi! How do we get in touch with Rebekah? Thanks!

Hi, forum friends,
Just to offer a personal reference of @Krimpa. We have walked together twice. He has all sorts of physical building skills and the like and would be happy to help out in an albergue in whatever way needed. I've written to Reb and a few others I know personally, but since the CSJ (he's British) is not offering hospitalero training till next year, @Krimpa won't be able to get "official certification" till then. He would really like to get a look of the "other side" of albergue life asap -- before he does anything crazy like move to Spain and buy an albergue.

Buen camino, Laurie

martin1ws

Camino(s) past & future
Somport to Finisterre Jul-Aug 2018
Last edited:

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
Hi, forum friends,
Just to offer a personal reference of @Krimpa. We have walked together twice. He has all sorts of physical building skills and the like and would be happy to help out in an albergue in whatever way needed. I've written to Reb and a few others I know personally, but since the CSJ (he's British) is not offering hospitalero training till next year, @Krimpa won't be able to get "official certification" till then. He would really like to get a look of the "other side" of albergue life asap -- before he does anything crazy like move to Spain and buy an albergue.

Buen camino, Laurie
Could I ask what the CSJ is? I assume by the (he's British) quote it's something relevant for British people?
Thanks
Andy

martin1ws

Camino(s) past & future
Somport to Finisterre Jul-Aug 2018
Could I ask what the CSJ is? I assume by the (he's British) quote it's something relevant for British people?
"... The Confraternity of Saint James was founded in London by a group of six people in 1983 to bring together those interested in the medieval pilgrim routes through Spain and France to the shrine of St James at Santiago de Compostela, and in the associated rich heritage of art, architecture, history, music and faith. ..."
https://www.csj.org.uk/about-us/

KSM

Camino(s) past & future
walked camino France's April/may 2015!!!!!
Tickets booked..... Backpack almost ready ...... Training ongoing .....mental state: beyond excited! ...... Leaving to complete el camino frances april 22nd!!!

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Live - Camino Portugues It begins
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%