• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering as Hospitaleros at Arres on the Aragones Route

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Phil and I have just accepted the volunteer service at Arres for the first 2 weeks in June. Excited to be returning to this route. Some of you may have read about our experiences last summer in Canfranc Pueblo. This is an even more remote, but equally picturesque location further along the Aragones route in a tiny town on a steep hill overlooking the valley. We arrive in Madrid on May 28 and hope to get a train bus/bus combo to Jaca and will walk from there to our assignment. Not sure yet of a timeline, but will let you all know as that unfolds.

In this donativo albergue we provide breakfast and supper. That is right up my alley to work with pilgrims on meals. There is also a meditation service either in the community church or up on the overlook to the village. Groceries can be ordered for delivery. Unlikely we will have a rental car, but uncertain yet. No bus serves this community of a handful of people, but we will figure it out. We stayed there last summer as pilgrims and it is a charming place. Hope to do the full Aragones after we serve.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think you mean you fly in May 28? 🤔. Congrats on the assignment; it’s on our TO DO list for Cyndi and I in the future

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks @Vacajoe , you are right. I edited the date above.

When we stayed last summer there were 12 pilgrims, I think, but it looked like most days they had far fewer pilgrims.

HosVol has a new volunteer coordinator. We sent him a request on Jan 6 and he responded on Jan 7! It is a long holiday weekend in Spain so we were surprised to hear from him on a Saturday! In the past, Veteran hospitaleros had to wait until requests from newly trained hospitaleros were handled. The goal was to get newbies placed while the training was fresh, but I know the past 2 years it has been difficult to get trained volunteers. Maybe they have changed their practice as a result.

Last edited:
I will be one of your replacements for the first 2 weeks of July at Canfranc Estacion this summer. I loved the night I spent at Arres several years ago, especially the sunset from the top of the hill sitting on the benches.

Phil and I have just accepted the volunteer service at Arres for the first 2 weeks in June. Excited to be returning to this route. Some of you may have read about our experiences last summer in Canfranc Pueblo. This is an even more remote, but equally picturesque location further along the Aragones route in a tiny town on a steep hill overlooking the valley. We arrive in Madrid on May 28 and hope to get a train bus/bus combo to Jaca and will walk from there to our assignment. Not sure yet of a timeline, but will let you all know as that unfolds.

In this donativo albergue we provide breakfast and supper. That is right up my alley to work with pilgrims on meals. There is also a meditation service either in the community church or up on the overlook to the village. Groceries can be ordered for delivery. Unlikely we will have a rental car, but uncertain yet. No bus serves this community of a handful of people, but we will figure it out. We stayed there last summer as pilgrims and it is a charming place. Hope to do the full Aragones after we serve.
Hi. Great that you decided to give back a little. I walked through tge Aragones and stayed Arres then Ruesta but passed through Canfranc Pueblo. I have intended had my finger on the button to volunteer, and you have now prompted me to press the button. I live in France within 5 hours driving distance and would gladly do a 2 week spell at either.

Hi. Great that you decided to give back a little. I walked through tge Aragones and stayed Arres then Ruesta but passed through Canfranc Pueblo. I have intended had my finger on the button to volunteer, and you have now prompted me to press the button. I live in France within 5 hours driving distance and would gladly do a 2 week spell at either.
To volunteer at Canfranc Pueblo contact @Rebekah Scott who in the volunteer coordinator for FICS. To volunteer at Arres, contact HosVol, hosvol@caminosantiago.org
HosVol has required training that is available in France.

I stayed there 13 years ago and have wonderful memories. I wish you enjoyed your service there. 🥰

I will be one of your replacements for the first 2 weeks of July at Canfranc Estacion this summer. I loved the night I spent at Arres several years ago, especially the sunset from the top of the hill sitting on the benches.
Lots going on in July! There should be several festivals and open air markets in Canfranc Estacion and maybe also in Canfranc Pueblo. Be sure to get a booklet at the tourist office in CE which will have a listing of all events by date. We were there in the last half of July last year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Santa Cilia (whose albergue was closed) I walked the road in the dark to spend the night at a hotel in Puente de Reina de Jaca. It was a shame to miss Arres since I read only good things about the place. But the good news is that I'll have the chance to read more of your wonderful stories to make up for my missed opportunity.

From Santa Cilia (whose albergue was closed) I walked the road in the dark to spend the night at a hotel in Puente de Reina de Jaca. It was a shame to miss Arres since I read only good things about the place. But the good news is that I'll have the chance to read more of your wonderful stories to make up for my missed opportunity
Thanks, the Arres albergue is very simple compared to the one at Canfranc Pueblo, but charming and cozy in its own way. Last year the hospitaleros were both Spaniards when we were there. One was a member of the Guardia Civil and we learned a lot from him about the organization and its various missions. The other, like us, had been a hospitalero several times before in different locations, but none as small or remote as Arres. Phil also has a friend from the Netherlands who served there shortly after it reopened from the pandemic and we also know some Americans who have served there. We're really looking forward to this new environment and adventure.

I was the only woman staying there on my Aragones, and they put me in a dorm all by myself. The other dorm was nearly full of men; one elder gent looked at that room, looked at mine and moved into mine. The hospis were appalled. I didn’t care, I was charmed that they wanted to protect me, but I didn’t see the guys as threats.

They offered a tour of the chapel after dinner.

Arres is a delightful spot. The private hotel has a bar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We arrive in Madrid on May 28 and hope to get a train bus/bus combo to Jaca and will walk from there to our assignment.
If you are up for a bit of steep up and down and have a desire to visit (or revisit) San Juan de la Peña I have an alternative walk to think about.

Get off the train to Jaca early at La Peña Estación. It isn't a regular stop but I think the train will stop on request. From there, depending on how much time you have, walk on the Camino Catalan to Ena or Botaya. The next day head up to the new and then the old monasteries of San Juan. From there meet the Aragonese at Santa Cilia.

If you have a lot of time to spare once at La Peña Estación you can walk the Catalan in reverse some kilometers (up hill) to see Foz de Escalete.
Here's the view of the hill going down and the Foz (yeah, the Catalan goes through the notch).

IMG_20191103_115011.jpg IMG_20191103_114217.jpg

Very excited for you! I wonder if our paths will cross? I communicated with you earlier - serving as hospitalera in Canfranc from 5/15-31 and may walk Aragones after (still unsure if before or after). Enjoy the planning!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You’ve spoiled us with some great “live hospitalero” threads, so fingers crossed you will do it again!

@J Wilhaus, do you know anything about the town and its history? I remember hearing from the hospitaleros, or maybe from someone in town, that the whole place was essentially abandoned. As I remember it, the albergue was built, and then shortly after the government offered houses for 1 €. The requirements were that you couldn’t flip the house but had to live in it, and had to do the renovations in an architecturally appropriate (and hence expensive) way. It may be that the pensión/café-bar was done that way. I tried some googling but couldn’t find anything to corroborate my memory. I also think I met a Dutch (maybe German?) couple who had bought a place and were living there, but it was a while ago.

I have a vague impression that the pensión had closed (and this was pre-covid if I’m remembering right). But it looks like it is open now on google maps and in gronze. That’s will give you at least a bit of social contact outside the albergue.

I remember that the hospitaleros had the church key and took us around. And that they also made a point of getting everyone out on a picnic bench to view the sunset. It’s really a special place, and your great hospitalero skills will be put to good use here!

You’ve spoiled us with some great “live hospitalero” threads, so fingers crossed you will do it again!

@J Wilhaus, do you know anything about the town and its history? I remember hearing from the hospitaleros, or maybe from someone in town, that the whole place was essentially abandoned. As I remember it, the albergue was built, and then shortly after the government offered houses for 1 €. The requirements were that you couldn’t flip the house but had to live in it, and had to do the renovations in an architecturally appropriate (and hence expensive) way. It may be that the pensión/café-bar was done that way. I tried some googling but couldn’t find anything to corroborate my memory. I also think I met a Dutch (maybe German?) couple who had bought a place and were living there, but it was a while ago.

I have a vague impression that the pensión had closed (and this was pre-covid if I’m remembering right). But it looks like it is open now on google maps and in gronze. That’s will give you at least a bit of social contact outside the albergue.

I remember that the hospitaleros had the church key and took us around. And that they also made a point of getting everyone out on a picnic bench to view the sunset. It’s really a special place, and your great hospitalero skills will be put to good use here!
I know a little about the albergue, but not whether there was a program for housing rehabilitation. I am sure I will learn more while I am there. There is a giant sign at the bottom of the hill about purchasing land/homes for development in Arres though.

There is a Casa Rural with a restaurant/bar that is open and was open last summer when we were there. There is no store or other community businesses. Usually these kinds of little towns are very friendly to hospitaleros and of course they know the schedule when you change over. I actually prefer the rural communities to working in a larger town or city even though it makes getting groceries much more difficult. There are apparently a number of grocers who will deliver so I will explore that more fully with our community contacts before I decide if we are going to get a rental car or not. Ideally we would like to walk to the albergue from Jaca and then when we finish go back to Somport and try to walk the whole Arragones this year. Last year, some of you may remember we had to abort as I got a heat injury after Arres...

Yes, we will have the key to the church and will have an opportunity to do meditation at the church or out the benches overlooking the valley at sunset. Phil is already thinking about pilgrim songs to sing, etc. He normally likes to do the meditation and I do the cooking so he stays up late with pilgrims and I get up early with them...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. Ref my earlier post can someone guide me to an English site to volunteer. I live near Lourdes France, and it us easy to get to any of the Aragones stops to volunteer.

Hi. Ref my earlier post can someone guide me to an English site to volunteer. I live near Lourdes France, and it us easy to get to any of the Aragones stops to volunteer.
There is no actual "site" you must contact the HosVol volunteer coordinator by the email I posted in response to your earlier post. There is a website you can read about the organization and see when trainings are scheduled at https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/hospitaleros.asp

or in the case of @Rebekah Scott to volunteer at Canfranc, you can send her a private message here on the forum using the private message function.

If you use Google Chrome as a browser it will translate a website into the language you want.

@Rick of Rick and Peg we did go to the monestaries last year and walked down on the Camino route instead of the road (what a mistake that was!)
I remember now. It's difficult to remember every member's caminos.

I didn't think the trail down was too bad. I suppose it's because I mostly hike in the Appalachians, not in the Rockies. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Arres counts as my best albergue experience ever: the volunteers, the food, and the other pilgrims. Also mightily impressed by the standard of building workmanship, all done by volunteers. And everything worked superbly. I hanker still to walk the Aragones in order to repeat the experience. You are blessed to have received this assignment.

There is no actual "site" you must contact the HosVol volunteer coordinator by the email I posted in response to your earlier post. There is a website you can read about the organization and see when trainings are scheduled at https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/hospitaleros.asp

or in the case of @Rebekah Scott to volunteer at Canfranc, you can send her a private message here on the forum using the private message function.

If you use Google Chrome as a browser it will translate a website into the language you want.
Many thanks.. I will have another go.

A word about the Camino Aragonnes , rural , rustic and wild . I walked it twice and think that’s the way the Camino Frances was when I first walked it in 98 , since then it had slowly changed to a holiday park .

I actually have a question for you. I am planning on walking the Aragones in September and was wondering if the albergue in Arrés takes reservations.

was wondering if the albergue in Arrés takes reservations.
No. Neither do the municipals in Canfranc Pueblo, Jaca, Santa Cilia, and further down the line. The good news is that they are seldom (if ever) full. And if they were, the kind volunteer hospis in these locations would certainly help you find a solution for the night.

Yes, no reservations but a call to find out about how many people are there and giving the hospis a heads up really helps!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can reserve at both Artieda and Ruesta. Artieda asks you to send a request by email although they may have a few beds on booking.com. These are both private albergues which accept people other than pilgrims so may be busy during holiday weekends. Ruesta was full two weekends when we were serving in June so pilgrims had to walk further or stop sooner.

Yes, no reservations but a call to find out about how many people are there and giving the hospis a heads up really helps!
We had no phone. The phone rang at the Casa Rural and bar up the hill from us and they never forwarded messages except that Ruesta was full. You can make a reservation at the Casa Rural though.

@jouffroy47 Lucky you heading for the Aragones. You've probably read this in your research - but just a shout out for the albergues in Canfranc peublo, Arres and Ruesta. Arres was many years ago for us - and Ruesta as well but both memorable.

We stayed in the new-ish donativo albergue in Canfranc peublo a few months ago when we were walking back to France from Jaca. @Adelina who commented above was the wonderful hospitalero there at the time. Highly recommend this albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. I also live within 5 hours in France and am very will to be a hospitalero.
(Member phone number removed. You may contact via private message. Click on member's name or avatar and choose "start conversation")
Grahammac

Last edited by a moderator:
(Member phone number removed. You may contact via private message. Click on member's name or avatar and choose "start conversation")
Grahammac
You can reach out to Rebekah Scott through FICS for Canfranc Pueblo or you can reach out to HosVol which has hospitalero courses in France for Arres.

Grahammac

This is the website for hosvol, hospitaleros voluntarios. They arrange the volunteer staffing at Arres, which is donativo, as well as a number of other donativo albergues across Spain. To work at one of these albergues, you will first need to complete one of their 2-day courses. These are run in several locations in Spain as well as in France, the US, Canada, South Africa and Australia.

Ruesta is, or used to be, run by UGT, which is a Spanish trade union.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can reserve at both Artieda and Ruesta. Artieda asks you to send a request by email although they may have a few beds on booking.com. These are both private albergues which accept people other than pilgrims so may be busy during holiday weekends. Ruesta was full two weekends when we were serving in June so pilgrims had to walk further or stop sooner.
Who runs Ruesta now? It used to be the UGT. Is it still them?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back