A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office 2019

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
This popped into my inbox this morning. There is no time to waste. So, I thought I would post it here.

http://acogidacristianaenloscaminosdesantiago.org/voluntariado/

The original is in Spanish, of course. I use the Chrome browser, so it auto translates to English for me. You can tell your browser to handle the translation for you as well.

This is a regular question in the Forum. So, I thought I would answer it preemptively.

I will be there from 15 July through 12 August. See you there.

Last edited:

Waka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
This popped into my inbox this morning. There is no time to waste. So, I thought I would post it here.

The original is in Spanish, of course. I use the Chrome browser, so it auto translates top English for me. You can tell your browser to handle the translation for you as well.

This is a regular question in the Forum. So, I thought I would answer it preemptively.

Very interesting information, thanks for sharing this with us.
I did notice that there doesn't seem to be a requirement to speak fluent Spanish, is that correct?

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
That is correct. If your Spanish is not up to interviewing Compostela-seeking pilgrims, then you do whatever else needs to be done, like me.

That said, the time of year you are assigned makes a difference. For example, a volunteer in April, May or early June, September, October, etc. needs far less Spanish capability, than those of us who work in the truly peak months of July and August.

During those months the ratio of Spaniards to others spikes. While Spaniards usually comprise about 47 to 50 percent of the annual number of pilgrims, overall, during July and August, they can make up 75 - 80 percent of all pilgrims arriving at the Pilgrim Office.

So, aside from late June, all of July and August, you can get by with less Spanish speaking capability. The office staff know this and lay on all available local volunteers and fluent and native Spanish speakers they can find. At other times, they can be more flexible.

It is not all bad. This will be my sixth consecutive year working at the Pilgrim Office. My Spanish conversational ability increases each year. I think I am getting perilously close to the threshold of being told to do Compostelas. Oh well... confidence comes by doing. I do whatever they tell me to do...

Hope this helps.

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2017
Norte (Oviedo Costa) - 2018
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
OMG! The blue shirt in the foreground of the counter picture is ME during my June 11 - 25 stay last year. This year I am going to be there July 1 - 15.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Then I will see you a day or two before, when I arrive in town. I plan to reserve at Hostal LaSalle, just across the street from the volunteer flat, so my gear is already mostly up the hill. Getting stuff up the damned hill to the convento is a struggle. It is steep.

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2017
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
Then I will see you a day or two before, when I arrive in town. I plan to reserve at Hostal LaSalle, just across the street from the volunteer flat, so my gear is already mostly up the hill. Getting stuff up the damned hill to the convento is a struggle. It is steep.
That hill is a killer. I always went the round about way. H. LaSalle let me leave my pack there for pickup the morning I left for Finisterre. I had habitación 2 on the lower floor and am going to request that again.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I prefer the views from the rooms on piso 2. I had room 3 overlooking the cathedral spires. And what sunsets!

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
OK, so I read the piece, emailed them, had a reply, sent in the application and now await the reply. They seem to sign in to the email only once a week or so: it took a week for a reply. I'll give them some more time then print out the email and attachments and post them in an envelope.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@t2andreo , I would like to be a volunteer. I speak basic Spanish, German, English, Norw., Danish, Swedish (similar to Norw.) Expect to arrive in SdC about end of May. Done 10+ Caminos. Do I qualify?

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@t2andreo , I would like to be a volunteer. I speak basic Spanish, German, English, Norw., Danish, Swedish (similar to Norw.) Expect to arrive in SdC about end of May. Done 10+ Caminos. Do I qualify?
Silly Viking! Of course you are welcome. Hope to see you there...:)

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
BTW, I am hearing from veteran peregrinos and volunteers I served with in the past that the Pilgrim Office volunteer dates are filling up FAST! So, if you are going to offer your services, DO IT NOW!

I will be there from 15 July to 12 August. Hope to see you there...

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I perhaps forgot to mention that your letter to request a volunteer assignment should be in Spanish. Use the Microsoft or Google translators if need be.

But, if you send a request in English, expect it to not be read or replied to as fast.

I hope this helps.

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
Thanks for this extremely helpful thread. The pilgrim office now has my services from October 7 to October 21.
Others may like to note that it would appear your emails WHICH I USED GOOGLE TRANSLATE TO TURN INTO SPANISH are replied to only after a gap of a week or two, I suspect Montse Diaz has a lot to do. After all, if there are five pilgrims each fortnight, and there are 25 fortnights a year, she has to fix 250 volunteers each year, which is no small task and I bet she has a load of other things to do as well. I am unsure if it helped, but I sent the email (electronic, obvs) and then printed it out on paper, together with the photo of me, the CV (they like to know your working life) and the form they send you, and posted it to her at the pilgrims' office. Maybe this was useless and annoying for her, maybe it prompted her to think of me, maybe it showed her how keen I was. We'll probably never know.
Anyway, one good thing already is that I'm now working harder on improving my Spanish.
So - thanks for this thread. Hope to see some of you in Santiago!

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
Not sure if it helps but I'll post something to bump this up

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019

The original is in Spanish, of course. I use the Chrome browser, so it auto translates to English for me. You can tell your browser to handle the translation for you as well.

See you during Santiago week. Staying 3 days 23/24/25 July. First time I will be there for the Fiesta. Then on to my last leg of this years Camino. (Not volunteering this year but will talk to Montse about 2021 - I am a gluten for punishment ;)).

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
I plan on arriving sometime during that period - leaving SJPdP on 21 June. Perhaps I can treat you to a cerveza or vino tinto (temperatura ambiente, naturally). Just look for the dusty guy with a gray beard and likely hobbling.

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
Just look for the dusty guy with a gray beard and likely hobbling.
An excellent direction: that instruction removes about 100 of the 330,000 pilgrims that arrive during the course of the year..... :)

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I will be there. Unless they change my hours, I usually work 10 - 3 most every day. As I do not do Compostelas...yet, I make my own hours. I choose to be there for the busiest time of the day.

You cannot miss me. I am sort of large, I do currently sport a grey beard though.

I look forward to meeting and greeting each of you.

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
An excellent direction: that instruction removes about 100 of the 330,000 pilgrims that arrive during the course of the year..... :)
Exactly! (said in the tone of the blacksmith from How To Train A Dragon)

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

ELHS220

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2017
Finisterre/Muxía - 2018
Norte - (2019)
I prefer the views from the rooms on piso 2. I had room 3 overlooking the cathedral spires. And what sunsets!
Was your room #3 a large room? The thing I liked about #2 downstairs was its size. A single bed and lots of extra space to move around in. The view was the side street leading up to the Hotel LaSalle. Nothing special for sure. If #3 is sufficiently large, maybe I will shoot Montse an e-mail and put in a request for it.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Was your room #3 a large room? The thing I liked about #2 downstairs was its size. A single bed and lots of extra space to move around in. The view was the side street leading up to the Hotel LaSalle. Nothing special for sure. If #3 is sufficiently large, maybe I will shoot Montse an e-mail and put in a request for it.
Yes, it is perhaps 5 meters x 5 meters. When I am there, I claim “dibs!” The staff are aware of this, and will provide this room, if available.

It is my preferred room. I need the sunlight.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%