• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago - October 2021 Update

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
NOTE - This post supersedes all previous posts by me about volunteering at the pilgrim office. Things changed over the nearly four years since I wrote the original post in February 2018. Many of you found that post informative and useful. Just the passage of time has affected some of the processes and procedures in place. Personnel have come and gone. The COVID pandemic caused radical changes in several areas.

Here is the updated original post. The moderators may choose to redact or delete the separate earlier threads. I do not have edit capability over these old messages because they are so old. Forum policy is to lock the threads against editing at some point in time. Hence, I am compelled to start new thread.

Over the past several months and years, Many, fellow forum members have asked individually about how to go about offering their services as volunteers (voluntarios) at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Each time, I have replied. In addition, I provided much of this information in direct replies within varied postings.

However, the number of individual inquiries rose to the point where a good, general posting that is easily searchable would be appropriate. So, here it is. I took the original February 2018 post about this subject and updated it through my recent experiences at the pilgrim office In September 2021.

I have had the privilege of working at the pilgrim office since 2014 and plan to serve again for a month each summer for as long as they permit me to come to help and I am physically able to contribute. In this regard, if you are so motivated, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

First, and as others have asked me, religion is not a prerequisite. Although I am a Cradle Catholic myself, I am not aware that this has ever been a requirement. Having done at least one Camino IS a baseline requirement. They prefer volunteers who can both talk the talk and have walked the walk.

Second, as regards language skills, more is better, and Spanish is most preferred. But they will consider anyone with some skills in that area.

The language need also depends on the time of year you seek to volunteer. For example, if you work in the latter half of July and during August, Spanish is more highly valued as the percentage of arriving volunteers who speak Spanish as a first language is huge.

From May until mid-July, the demographic mix is more varied and other European languages are relatively more helpful. However, if you happen to speak Korean, you are worth gold to the office. We get a lot of Korean visitors who generally have little alternative language skills. Do let them know this fact when you write.

To improve my survival level pilgrim Spanish I use Duolingo.com every day to reinforce the spoken lessons. Each time I volunteer, my Spanish comprehension improves. I am very much a work in progress.

Third, as regards the actual process of becoming a volunteer / voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, I am repeating the content of previous posts as a general post to all the forum readers who might be similarly interested.

Here it is:

"To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

1. Write an e-mail to Sr. Santiago Reyes (also called Santi) at:

info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when. I use the Microsoft Bing translator for best results.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate adequately.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The work cycle is weekly and starts on Tuesday.

Other Information of interest:

Volunteers generally work seven days per week. But the daily work period is usually four hours. There is more than adequate time to enjoy all that Santiago has to offer.

The standard daily work shifts for volunteers in September 2021 were: 10:00 - 14:00. This is subject to change as conditions warrant. Also, this fits into the longer work shifts for the full-time staff. They start earlier and end later.

The 'season' starts at Easter (Semana Santa) and runs through the end of September. The "peak season" is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do, in July and August. The sun is warm, but the humidity is low. Nights can be chilly. Rain is sparse. But, I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back and I am physically able to contribute.

You pay to travel to Santiago and back and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides free lodging.

Before 2020, the ACC housed volunteers in the Convento de Santa Clara de Asis (Convent of Saint Clare of Assisi), on Rua de San Roque. But they are no longer doing so. It was great while it lasted. I am not certain of the planned housing arrangements for future volunteers. This situation is dynamic.

Fluency in Spanish is not necessary, but some knowledge is. Volunteers who can converse in Spanish, or other needed languages, find themselves working behind the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims from all over the world and issuing Compostelas.

Folks like me, with a more rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, end up doing other supporting work that helps the rest of the staff, paid and volunteer, remain effective. The word around the office is that: "Tomas will do ANYTHING that is legal if you ask. If it is 'sketchy,' you need to ask real nice..."

That said, since I last returned from Santiago, I have been doing and repeating my www.duolingo.com online, and listening to a series of university lectures about Spain. When I complete the courses, I repeat them...again and again...

The best time to toss your hat in the ring is at the end of the current calendar year or early in the new year. Once we reach March, the ACC have all their plans and volunteer selections made. Remember, the early bird...

Feel free to ask further questions. Oh, and tell Santi in your e-mail that: "Don Tomas, el Norteamericano con la barba" sent you... That is; 'Don Tomas the American with the beard... ' FYI - I grew it on a Camino several years ago and the family directed me to keep it.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
NOTE - This post supersedes all previous posts by me about volunteering at the pilgrim office. Things changed over the nearly four years since I wrote the original post in February 2018. Many of you found that post informative and useful. Just the passage of time has affected some of the processes and procedures in place. Personnel have come and gone. The COVID pandemic caused radical changes in several areas.

Here is the updated original post. The moderators may choose to redact or delete the separate earlier threads. I do not have edit capability over these old messages because they are so old. Forum policy is to lock the threads against editing at some point in time. Hence, I am compelled to start new thread.

Over the past several months and years, Many, fellow forum members have asked individually about how to go about offering their services as volunteers (voluntarios) at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Each time, I have replied. In addition, I provided much of this information in direct replies within varied postings.

However, the number of individual inquiries rose to the point where a good, general posting that is easily searchable would be appropriate. So, here it is. I took the original February 2018 post about this subject and updated it through my recent experiences at the pilgrim office In September 2021.

I have had the privilege of working at the pilgrim office since 2014 and plan to serve again for a month each summer for as long as they permit me to cone to help and I am physically able to contribute. In this regard, if you are so motivated, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

First, and as others have asked me, religion is not a prerequisite. Although I am a Cradle Catholic myself, I am not aware that this has ever been a requirement. Having done at least one Camino IS a baseline requirement. They prefer volunteers who can both talk the talk and have walked the walk.

Second, as regards language skills, more is better, and Spanish is most preferred. But they will consider anyone with some skills in that area.

The language need also depends on the time of year you seek to volunteer. For example, if you work in the latter half of July and during August, Spanish is more highly valued as the percentage of arriving volunteers who speak Spanish as a first language is huge.

From May until mid-July, the demographic mix is more varied and other European languages are relatively more helpful. However, if you happen to speak Korean, you are worth gold to the office. We get a lot of Korean visitors who generally have little alternative language skills. Do let them know this fact when you write.

To improve my survival level pilgrim Spanish I use Duolingo.com every day to reinforce the spoken lessons. Each time I volunteer, my Spanish comprehension improves. I am very much a work in progress.

Third, as regards the actual process of becoming a volunteer / voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, I am repeating the content of previous posts as a general post to all the forum readers who might be similarly interested.

Here it is:

"To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when. I use the Microsoft Bing translator for best results.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate adequately.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The work cycle is weekly and starts on Tuesday.

Volunteers generally work seven days per week. But the daily work period is usually four hours. There is more than adequate time to enjoy all that Santiago has to offer.

The standard daily work shifts for volunteers in September 2021 were: 10:00 - 14:00. This is subject to change as conditions warrant. Also, this fits into the longer work shifts for the full-time staff. They start earlier and end later.

The 'season' starts at Easter (Semana Santa) and runs through the end of September. The "peak season" is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do, in July and August. The sun is warm, but the humidity is low. Nights can be chilly. Rain is sparse. But, I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back and I am physically able to contribute.

You pay to travel to Santiago and back and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides free lodging.

Before 2020, the ACC housed volunteers in the Convento de Santa Clara de Asis (Convent of Saint Clare of Assisi), on Rua de San Roque. But they are no longer doing so. It was great while it lasted. I am not certain of the planned housing arrangements for future volunteers. This situation is dynamic.

Fluency in Spanish is not necessary, but some knowledge is. Volunteers who can converse in Spanish, or other needed languages, find themselves working behind the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims from all over the world and issuing Compostelas.

Folks like me, with a more rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, end up doing other supporting work that helps the rest of the staff, paid and volunteer, remain effective. The word around the office is that: "Tomas will do ANYTHING that is legal if you ask. If it is 'sketchy,' you need to ask real nice..."

That said, since I returned last August, I have been doing and repeating my www.duolingo.com online, and listening to a series of university lectures about Spain. When I complete the courses, I repeat them...again and again...

The best time to toss your hat in the ring is at the end of the current calendar year or early in the new year. Once we reach March, the ACC have all their plans and volunteer selections made. Remember, the early bird...

Feel free to ask further questions. Oh, and tell Santi in your e-mail that: "Don Tomas, el Norteamericano con la barba" sent you... That is; 'Don Tomas the American with the beard... ' FYI - I grew it on a Camino several years ago and the family directed me to keep it.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you Tom! What superb info.

Thanks Tom - I really appreciate your update. I’ll pass on the information at our next Pilgrims in Sydney meeting as there were at least four of us who were rostered to volunteer last year but who missed out due to Covid. It would be wonderful to have the opportunity to apply again - and hopefully volunteer - in the future.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tom - thank you for your update. I'll write to Sr. Santiago Reyes this afternoon and hopefully I can volunteer in Santiago this Summer or next year.
Best regards Anette

I got in touch with Santiago a few weeks ago to arrange my stint for this year - he directed me to the following Google form which had to completed. This looks to be a new process for volunteers to apply.

Thank you SioCamino.
Now Santiago will receive my email and the Spanish form. I hope they will be impressed by my eagerness to be a volunteer and reward me with a stay this Summer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got in touch with Santiago a few weeks ago to arrange my stint for this year - he directed me to the following Google form which had to completed. This looks to be a new process for volunteers to apply.

Yes, that process was started in 2021. it is a better way to keep track of the increased number of requests.

FWIW - I submitted my form on the very first day. I offered to work for two weeks at the end of August. No word yet.

I DO know that the selection and contact process is done chronologically on a rolling basis. Volunteer requests are addressed as they look at each month - in order.

If anyone has been accepted recently, I would appreciate knowing what period of time you are being slotted for. It will give me a measure of when and if my request might be addressed.

Thanks,

Tom

If anyone has been accepted recently, I would appreciate knowing what period of time you are being slotted for. It will give me a measure of when and if my request might be addressed.
Hi Tom

Friday I received an email from Santiago Reyes offering me a volunteer stay from the 28 of June and ending the 12 of July. Oh, I can't wail, I'm so exited! I really enjoyed reading your book and your description of your work as a volunteer at the Pilgrim office. You are such an inspiration.
All the best to you.
Anette

Hi Tom

Friday I received an email from Santiago Reyes offering me a volunteer stay from the 28 of June and ending the 12 of July. Oh, I can't wail, I'm so exited! I really enjoyed reading your book and your description of your work as a volunteer at the Pilgrim office. You are such an inspiration.
All the best to you.
Anette

You will have a wonderful time. I wish you well.

Glad you liked my book.

Cheers!

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Best regards to you who work as volunteers at the Pilgrim's Office. Believe me, you will have a very fulfilling and special experience; as I had.

I have had the privilege of working at the pilgrim office since 2014 and plan to serve again for a month each summer for as long as they permit me to come to help and I am physically able to contribute. In this regard, if you are so motivated, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

Here it is:

That said, since I last returned from Santiago, I have been doing and repeating my www.duolingo.com online, and listening to a series of university lectures about Spain. When I complete the courses, I repeat them...again and again...

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you for information! I was wondering the hours we would be volunteering. I will be volunteering this 28 June to 12 July.

Edited..
There are normally two shifts of 5 hours. They are:
9:00 - 14:00 and 14:00 - 19:00. These alternate daily.

Last edited:

Here it is:

Hope this helps.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for the detailed information, I was an "Amiga" a few years ago and liked it very much. I would also suggest that if you have taken Hospitalero training, then mention that, too, and if you haven't taken it then try to do so as soon as you can. The duties of a Hospitalero (volunteer in an albergue) and at the Pilgrims' Office are very different, but taking the training shows you are serious, and working as an hospitalero instead of the Pilgrims' Office also could be a good experience. With so many more applicants now you need to stand out as much as possible, through language skills, training, and relevant experience, just like with any job application

Yes, previous experience is always a help. Though much of the information post you quoted is out of date now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would like to amend, slightly, the addressee information mentioned in my major post above. DO NOT send an e-mail to Sr. Santiago Reyes at ACC. He no longer works there.

Instead, send your e-mail offer to volunteer to Sra. Monste Diaz. She is the ACC Director and volunteer coordinator.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Here it is:

Hope this helps.

Tom
Just wondering- I have done 3 weeks of the Camino del Norte in 2 different stints. In order to volunteer do you have to have completed an entire camino?
Thank you

They only ask that you have done a Camino. I do not recall being cross examined about the specifics.

My sense is that they prefer volunteers who understand what it is all about. I think your experience qualifies.

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Here it is:

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you so much for this valuable information.

Consider that I last updated this nearly two years ago.

I was not able to serve this past summer, due to a family medical emergency. My volunteering was redirected homeward, as a 24 x 7 caregiver.

However, most all of the information, as updated by me or corrected by others remains valid. I plan to return to my volunteer duties at the Pilgrim Office as soon as circumstances permit. I really miss all my friends there.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Consider that I last updated this nearly two years ago.

I was not able to serve this past summer, due to a family medical emergency. My volunteering was redirected homeward, as a 24 x 7 caregiver.

However, most all of the information, as updated by me or corrected by others remains valid. I plan to return to my volunteer duties at the Pilgrim Office as soon as circumstances permit. I really miss all my friends there.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom,

I'm sorry to hear you had other responsibilities other than at the pilgrims office. I know how much you enjoy volunteering there. I hope all is well now where you are.

My question is: Is there any way to volunteer for three of four days? If not at the Pilgrims Office is there anywhere else in the old town of Santiago?

I've walked three and God willing, my 4th Camino in the summer of 2024.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Angela

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I doubt there are very small volunteering opportunities in Santiago. Even during the busy season, most places ask for a minimum two-week commitment.

The only exception that I know if, is if someone like me, who has volunteered many times, dropped in. If I asked to pitch in they would likely allow it. I have seen this with prior service, well known volunteers.

One other place you might try is the Pilgrim House on Rua Nova. Send a private conversation request to Natefaith through this Forum.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I doubt there are very small volunteering opportunities in Santiago. Even during the busy season, most places ask for a minimum two-week commitment.

The only exception that I know if, is if someone like me, who has volunteered many times, dropped in. If I asked to pitch in they would likely allow it. I have seen this with prior service, well known volunteers.

One other place you might try is the Pilgrim House on Rua Nova. Send a private conversation request to Natefaith through this Forum.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Yes, thank you for the reply. Very helpful.

Tom,

I'm sorry to hear you had other responsibilities other than at the pilgrims office. I know how much you enjoy volunteering there. I hope all is well now where you are.

My question is: Is there any way to volunteer for three of four days? If not at the Pilgrims Office is there anywhere else in the old town of Santiago?

I've walked three and God willing, my 4th Camino in the summer of 2024.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Angela

You could pm @Flog ( he always gives very accurate and up to date info ) who volunteers regularly in the Pilgrims Office and who might have a good idea about other volunteering options.

€60,-
I don't have much to add.. some regular volunteers do get to arrive spontaneously and work just a few days, if it suits all..

But the universal thing about volunteering work, whatever it may be and wherever it is:
It takes some days just to get up to speed and into the rhythm of things, that's why a commitment of fourteen days is generally the norm.

@FourSeasons. It's generous of you to offer three or four days, but perhaps not practical.

Last edited:
I don't have much to add.. some regular volunteers do get to arrive spontaneously and work just a few days, if it suits all..

But the universal thing about volunteering work, whatever it may be and wherever it is:
It takes some days just to get up to speed and into the rhythm of things, that's why a commitment of fourteen days is generally the norm.

@FourSeasons. It's generous of you to offer three or four days, but perhaps not practical.
But I'm a chameleon and can fit in anywhere. I can take on what ever in my surroundings in mere minutes. LOL 🤣

Seriously, thank you for your reply. I've been wanting to take the Hospitalero training here in the US but their schedule doesn't seem to ever line up with mine. One day perhaps.

For now I'll just enjoy my time in the old town when I arrive. God Willing!

I am invited to show up at the volunteer house this summer, Tuesday at 2:00. Is there a separate entrance or a sign to follow to report for duty?
How many volunteers are on-site at one time?
Are the accommodations bunk beds? How are meals handled?
Where do pilgrims go after they get their certificates? Do any stay at the house?
puttster
And if someone has ime, or has a link: in 2024, instead of a stamp at the hostels, pilgrims can camera a barcode into an app, purpose of which is to speed up the process of verifying the journey?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you mean a separate entrance from the albergue? Yes, it's on the other side. The number of volunteers varies between four and eight, it depends. You'll have your own room, meals depend on the dynamics of the group.. sometimes they share, sometimes they do their own thing.

Don’t sweat it, things will be explained and you'll find your way. Brush up on your spanish, bring your own spray cheese.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back