• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Volunteering in "De Huiskamer der Lage Landen" first floor Pilgrims Office.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
We decided this morning to leave for Santiago tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll spend the night in Bayonne on Monday, Tuesday we are in Belorado.The day after we will visit the memory tree off Denise and then Santiago where we start on Friday with our volunteering work.So we are in no rush we have all the time in the world.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Safe trip Peter!

Good you both will take your time getting there. No need rushing it.
And with the comfort and privacy of driving your own car instead of being packed as a sardine on a plane.

All the best and looking forward to your updates ( when possible).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We decided this morning to leave for Santiago tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll spend the night in Bayonne on Monday, Tuesday we are in Belorado.The day after we will visit the memory tree off Denise and then Santiago where we start on Friday with our volunteering work.So we are in no rush we have all the time in the world.
enjoy your time there.
I was very pleased to meet the persons who were before you the last few weeks

Attachments

• DFE2034B-1BF1-49B5-A455-BB728B6E0BAD.jpeg
    DFE2034B-1BF1-49B5-A455-BB728B6E0BAD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Safe trip Peter!

Good you both will take your time getting there. No need rushing it.
And with the comfort and privacy of driving your own car instead of being packed as a sardine on a plane.

All the best and looking forward to your updates ( when possible).
Thank you Sabine ,

It is true what you say, you have nothing to do with anyone and you are not on an airplane with hundreds of people. We spend the night just below Poitiers so we have covered quite a few kilometers, it was not busy except around Paris which was again a drama. Tomorrow we go to SJPDP , we will go for a nice walk .
20220424_063342.jpg
The sunrise this morning just before we left home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just after mid day we were in SJPdP. After lunch we had a nice walk after all those km. in the car that was a nice change. We stayed in gite Izaxulo, 5 rooms and breakfast together at 07:00 that will be fun. The only downside is that Marianne has to look carefully at what she can or cannot eat, she is gluten free until the end of May. Then she can add again and see what bothers her.
20220425_133822.jpg20220425_135214.jpg20220425_200056.jpg20220425_153142.jpg
20220425_140753.jpg20220425_184356.jpg
20220425_140425.jpg

Glad to read that you have now arrived in Santiago. Hope that your time there goes well.
Stay safe and Carpe diem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are in Santiago on Wednesday, we are now in SJPDP and today we are going to Belorado. 🙏🏻

A leisurely three hours drive now. You will most likely follow the Francès but if you fancy there is the alternative to drive via Vitoria/Gasteiz and Miranda de Ebro.Hehe I just want to promote the gorgeous landscape of the Vasco Interior! ;)

Safe travels!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm with Sabine. From Pamplona you can follow the Viejo to Salvatierra, then the Vasco to Burgos, in your case turning off just a bit before to go to Belorado, either via Haro or Briviesca. Gorgeous! (Or to get the best of all worlds, a bit of both: Miranda de Ebro-Pancorbo-Haro-Santo Domingo de la Calzada-Belorado.)

20220426_080250.jpg
Or
20220426_080216.jpg

Last edited:
A leisurely three hours drive now. You will most likely follow the Francès but if you fancy there is the alternative to drive via Vitoria/Gasteiz and Miranda de Ebro.Hehe I just want to promote the gorgeous landscape of the Vasco Interior! ;)

Safe travels!
I read your option too late, sorry. We plan for next year to walk together, namely the Arles and the Aragones and then we can possibly look at the end how to go back to Irun and then walk the Vasco.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So nice to know there is something like "De huiskamer der lage landen". I am definitely gonna bring you a visit when I arrive in SdC. That must be somewhere around early July (IJs en weder dienende, LOL). First I have to walk "Le Chemin du Puy", then part of "El Camino del Norte" and finishing with El Primitivo. Starting the second of May in Le Puy-en-Velay, I guess the whole distance will take me approximately 8 to 10 weeks.
Tot dan!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So nice to know there is something like "De huiskamer der lage landen". I am definitely gonna bring you a visit when I arrive in SdC. That most be somewhere around early July (IJs en weder dienende, LOL). First I have to walk "Le Chemin du Puy", then part of "El Camino del Norte" and finishing with El Primitivo. Starting the second of May in Le Puy-en-Velay, I guess the whole distance will take me approximately 8 to 10 weeks.
Tot dan!
ijs en weder dienende
weather permitting 😎

Zoveel te doen Ik heb nog zoveel te doen
Ik moet nog hinkstapspringen op de maan
Zoveel te doen Ik heb nog zoveel te doen
Ik moet hier ooit nog eens vandaan

So much to do
I still have so much to do
I have yet to triple jump on the moon
So much to do
I still have so much to do
I have to get out of here someday

Last edited:
Zoveel te doen Ik heb nog zoveel te doen Ik moet nog hinkstapspringen op de maan Zoveel te doen Ik heb nog zoveel te doen Ik moet hier ooit nog eens vandaan
Ha ha!
"Moet, moet", Ik mag, zou ik eigenlijk willen zeggen. Ik verheug me erop dat ik straks weer zo'n eind mag en kan gaan lopen. Nog maar een paar dagen en c'est parti!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So that looks like the pilgrim welcome centre in Santiago. I never saw any Dutch people there, only in Roncesvalles. I'm walking the last 2 days of the Portugués from Pontevedra next week, so I'll try and find you.

So that looks like the pilgrim welcome centre in Santiago. I never saw any Dutch people there, only in Roncesvalles. I'm walking the last 2 days of the Portugués from Pontevedra next week, so I'll try and find you.
Pontevedra < 100 kms , does not qualify for a Compostela .
if you walk into thePilgrims Office , just before the big screen above the door and the entrance to the office, turn to the left and you’ll see stairs in front of you, leading to the first floor. Climb up the stairs and you will find the Dutch Huiskamer there.

when I worked in the Pilgrims Office 3 weeks ago , I only saw a few Dutch but definitively there will come a lot in the summerholidays.

Attachments

• 475F3E12-61C7-442C-9C6D-21795C6FDD0E.jpeg
    475F3E12-61C7-442C-9C6D-21795C6FDD0E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pontevedra < 100 kms , does not qualify for a Compostela .
if you walk into thePilgrims Office , just before the big screen above the door and the entrance to the office, turn to the left and you’ll see stairs in front of you, leading to the first floor. Climb up the stairs and you will find the Dutch Huiskamer there.

when I worked in the Pilgrims Office 3 weeks ago , I only saw a few Dutch but definitively there will come a lot in the summerholidays.
I know... I already have a compostela, I live in Vilachá near Portomarin now. I might not even collect stamps on this trip (yes I will :)). I'll come and visit the Huiskamer when I get there in maybe 10 days.

I know... I already have a compostela, I live in Vilachá near Portomarin now. I might not even collect stamps on this trip (yes I will :)). I'll come and visit the Huiskamer when I get there in maybe 10 days.
We are located at the first floor above the Pilgrims Office , everybody is most welcome.

This morning breakfast with the board of the Dutch Jacobus Association in Pinario. Then along the Huiskamer and the apartment to exchange some information. Marianne still had to call the doctor for a prescription, she had forgotten her blood thinners. Walked past the Pilgrim House to print out the recipe and then pick it up at the Pharmacia and for €1.45 she knew everything.
20220428_132942.jpg20220427_162224.jpg
20220428_133046.jpg20220427_201300.jpg
20220428_131452.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yesterday was our first day in the Huiskamer and we had 7 pilgrims who visit us. It was a very successful day except , I had brought some things to our apartment and when I came back 2 so called Pilgrims were yelling at one of the Sisters who is also a volunteer here , she was told that she discriminated Pilgrims . The point was that one got a form and the other had to do it with her phone. I then made it very clear to them that the Sister had nothing to do with it at all, but they where a other opinion. Told them if they had any problems go to security and not yell at one of the Sisters. There are 3 people at the entrance who arrange everything and they also help if you can't figure it out yourself and if someone has problems, these are the people you have to talk to. We can't make it simpler.🙏🏻🕊

20220428_181412.jpg20220430_075622.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yesterday was our first day in the Huiskamer and we had 7 pilgrims who visit us. It was a very successful day except , I had brought some things to our apartment and when I came back 2 so called Pilgrims were yelling at one of the Sisters who is also a volunteer here , she was told that she discriminated Pilgrims . The point was that one got a form and the other had to do it with her phone. I then made it very clear to them that the Sister had nothing to do with it at all, but they where a other opinion. Told them if they had any problems go to security and not yell at one of the Sisters. There are 3 people at the entrance who arrange everything and they also help if you can't figure it out yourself and if someone has problems, these are the people you have to talk to. We can't make it simpler.🙏🏻🕊

View attachment 123995View attachment 123996

Hope they calmed down?
What a waste of energy from those two.
Afterall, getting your Compostela should be a joyous affair.
I can only imagine that the Sister was grateful you stepped up.

Pity that giving someone a light slap is not pc anymore ( only halfjoking btw ). Well done Peter and I hope that from now on you will only meet gentle people.

Last edited:
Hope they calmed down?

Pity that giving someone a light slap is not pc anymore ( only halfjoking btw ). Well done Peter and I hope that from now on you will only meet gentle people.
Don’t give them coffee and one Dutch cookie 🤭

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Peter, stay sane! Well done...
I was , but in situations like this when they keep yelling to the Sister for something she has absolutely nothing to do with . It was only because she was standing there and maybe they thought an easy target. Nothing further happened and the Sister was very happy with my help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope they calmed down?

One of the women pulled the other away at one point and then they walked out of the building. These women actually deserved more than my raising voice. In any case , the Sister was happy that I stood up for her . And the police was also called this morning because 2 Pilgrims did not want to put on a mask. After a good conversation, they put on their masks. How hard can it be. But for the rest it goes well. The grandparents with their 4 grandsons ranging in age from 12 to 16 years jumped out today. They had started in Astorga.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We left the drop at home. 😅
Glad you did. I do not like drop yaggg😝😝😝

I fancy one (1) Dutch cookie. 😃
lots of people do not know but many Dutch are a bit “stingy” ( not the people in the Huiskamer by the way 😉)
there is a saying “ the Dutch bark themselves in the garden to save a dog 🤭😂😂😂

my grandmother , when we were young and we visited her , offered us lemonade and from a cookie jar in the cupboard one (1) cookie. After taking one (1) the lid went on the jar and was placed back in the cupboard.
Still lot of people are doing this today . They offer you one (1) cookie when you come for coffee and after that the closed jar goes into the cupboard again.
what a difference with the very inviting attitude of among others Portuguese or Turkish. families When you visit them at their home , the table is full with nice food and sweets And you can pick as much as you like
But luckily there are lots of Dutch who do so too. Such as in the Huiskamer 🤓😉

“Drop” is very popular in the Netherlands . In English it is called licorice. Black salty or sweet sticky stuff . to me it tastes horrible and is not good for your teeth and blood pressure if you eat a lot of it. So there is more than cloggies and tulips in the Netherlands🤭

bom caminho

Last edited:
Today was a quiet day as far as visiting Pilgrims are concerned. When we left at 5.15 pm the counter of the Pilgrims Office was at 860 . The Pilgrim who stood out for us today was a lady from the Netherlands who cycled just over 3000 km. and she cycled back to the Netherlands via Finisterre, Muxia and the North route. And there were no incidents today, which was also nice.
20220501_093904.jpg20220430_085748.jpg
20220501_111054~2.jpg

Today was a quiet day as far as visiting Pilgrims are concerned. When we left at 5.15 pm the counter of the Pilgrims Office was at 860 . The Pilgrim who stood out for us today was a lady from the Netherlands who cycled just over 3000 km. and she cycled back to the Netherlands via Finisterre, Muxia and the North route. And there were no incidents today, which was also nice.
View attachment 124111View attachment 124113
View attachment 124112
Wow ! 3000 kms on bike . 💪💪💪
And vice versa too with a detour . 👍 Compliments .

luckily no one threw the cookie jar.😉

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Like all the previous days, it got off to a slow start with two in the morning and 17 Pilgrims spread over the afternoon. After we had cleaner up everything and had gone downstairs, we met 6 more Pilgrims from Flanders in the corridor. They will come back for coffee tomorrow morning. There were 2 stories that stood out today, namely a Flemish and Dutch lady who ended up in a snow storm together on the Primitivo and who had experienced it as very scary and threatening. They already left with rain and afterwards they said that they should not have gone for a walk that day, luckily nothing happened . The second was the walk from Sarria by an 11 year old with mother, grandmother and a friend of grandmother. For the 11 year old it was the first but certainly not the last he said. And he almost immediately attacked the cookie jar when he came in. The Dutch lady who had walked the Primitivo will return at the end of the week for a conversation with Marianne who is also a Reiki Therapist. All in all it was an exciting day. In between walking outside for another hour and walked through the Alameda Park. Always nice to sit there for a bit.
20220502_114633.jpg20220502_114716.jpg
20220502_114536.jpg20220502_114800.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yesterday we received 22 Pilgrims, 13 from Flanders, who all but 2 started in Porto. The last Pilgrim of the day also came from Flanders, but he was very Spiritual, who immediately clicked with Marianne who is also a Reiki Therapist and Reiki Master. It was a nice conversation between the two and as a goodbye they hugged. Was a beautiful but busy day. Today we had 6 pilgrims throughout the day 2 from SJPDP and 4 from Porto.
20220504_130106.jpg20220503_120316.jpg
20220503_120346.jpg20220503_074421.jpg
20220504_085153.jpg

Yesterday we received 22 Pilgrims, 13 from Flanders, who all but 2 started in Porto. The last Pilgrim of the day also came from Flanders, but he was very Spiritual, who immediately clicked with Marianne who is also a Reiki Therapist and Reiki Master. It was a nice conversation between the two and as a goodbye they hugged. Was a beautiful but busy day. Today we had 6 pilgrims throughout the day 2 from SJPDP and 4 from Porto.
View attachment 124411View attachment 124412
View attachment 124413View attachment 124414
View attachment 124415
Take care for hugging ! Although hardly nobody talks about covid anymore due to other ”priorities “ unfortunately , it is still everywhere. Keep distance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
where we start on Friday with our volunteering work.

I remember visiting the huiskammer back in the old office. I didn’t know it had a spot in the new one! Good to hear that the cookie jar made the move. :p

Made a reservation to see the Portico of Glory tomorrow at 17.00hr. for free.

I am wondering, Peter, whether you got your free tickets to the Pórtico de la Gloria at the pilgrims office or through the cathedral website. The pilgrims office used to hand out free tickets to the first pilgrims arriving each morning, but people in the cathedral told me that most of them went unused.

Looks like you can get a ticket with a few days advance notice but no more than 7 days ahead. It is unguided, though, so if you are someone who likes to hear a professional explanation of what you are visiting, you should order a regular ticket.

And one more question, does the free visit include a visit to the Palacio de Gelmírez? There is a beautiful room with what I have been told is one of the world’s best examples of “civic Romanesque” architecture — amazingly well preserved capitals with lots of people performing daily chores and getting ready for a feast.

(I will move this post to a separate thread to give a more general heads up after we get your on-the-scene update! Thanks.)

I am wondering, Peter, whether you got your free tickets to the Pórtico de la Gloria at the pilgrims office or through the cathedral website. The pilgrims office used to hand out free tickets to the first pilgrims arriving each morning, but people in the cathedral told me that most of them went unused.
For the Pórtico de la gloria you have to make a reservation on the Cathedral website or as we did at the Cathedral museum entrance.
Last Tuesday the gate was open a bid early than normal , at the time we arrived one of the cards was giving tickets to the first ten Pilgrims for a free lunch that day at the Parador.
This is what I know.🙏🏻

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The past 2 days we had visitors all day long, it is so much more pleasant for Marianne because she wears hearing aids and you can pay more attention to the visiting Pilgrims. It was busy today in the Pilgrims Office, when we left at 5.15 pm the counter was at 1260, and there were many groups today . We are often downstairs ( outside) and then you get questions about the qr code and filling in the questionnaire and that is also fun to help out with.
20220506_172142.jpg20220506_172300.jpg
A nice drink after a day at the Office 😉 it's about 100 mtr. from our apartment.

20220504_181157.jpg
When someone has a dead wish he / she can stick his / here hand in it.

20220505_074733.jpg

Yesterday it was a quiet day in the Huiskamer with 8 visitors, but downstairs it was busy with more than 1600 Pilgrims. In between, I also helped downstairs with the QR code and fill in the form and steer the flow of Pilgrims in the right direction. That is actually every day, it gives satisfaction and people appreciate your help and there is always one who made all kinds of comments when I was helping him and when I told him that he had to wear a mask there was nothing good anymore I did, then I just walked away. At some point, enough is enough,😞😞 unfortunately.
20220508_083815.jpg20220507_083711.jpg
20220507_083741.jpg20220507_083958.jpg

Tomorrow is our last active day in the Huiskamer. We had a few busy days with some beautiful and emotional story's. The past two weeks were again very rewarding.
Leave Santiago on Saturday and visit the memory tree off Denise before staying
in Belorado and visit Zabaldika on Sunday.
20220509_184606.jpg20220509_184502.jpg
20220509_073956.jpg20220509_212805.jpg
20220509_185241.jpg20220510_073443.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bedankt voor de updates en de onderhoudende berichtgeving
Wellicht komen we elkaar nog ergens tegen in de Lage Landen.

Met vriendelijke groet
Albertinho
Ouddorp

Bedankt voor de updates en de onderhoudende berichtgeving
Wellicht komen we elkaar nog ergens tegen in de Lage Landen.

Met vriendelijke groet
Albertinho
Ouddorp
Dank je wel,
Het is een kleine wereld dus wie weet.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Peter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yesterday was our last full day in the Huiskamer, it was a beautiful day and we had a dutch Pilgrim who ended his 70th. Camino. Today was a day with mixed feelings , tomorrow no more going to the Huiskamer instead leaving Santiago with very beautiful memories. We first go to Denise's memory tree which will become emotional again .😥
20220513_114008.jpg20220513_135332.jpg20220513_114051.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today was our last day in Spain for this year.
It was another beautiful journey with beautiful stories and encounters. We concluded our stay with a special meeting with the Sisters in Zabaldika. It's a very special place to be. We thank everyone who has followed us during these beautiful weeks.
IMG-20220515-WA0006.jpg

€149,-
It was another beautiful journey with beautiful stories and encounters. We concluded our stay with a special meeting with the Sisters in Zabaldika. It's a very special place to be. We thank everyone who has followed us during these beautiful weeks.
View attachment 125421
Hope you did not change your wintertyres before you went to Spain Peter.
Here it is so hot that “ the sparrows fall off the roof” as is a Dutch saying.

View attachment 125421

You two look marvelous.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back