• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
NOTE FROM THE MODS: Tom posted an update to this thread on Oct. 17, 2021.

See it here:

That’s why this thread has been locked.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Over the past several months, several fellow Forum members have asked individually about how to go about offering their services as volunteers (voluntarios) at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Each time, I have replied. In addition, I provided much of this information in direct replies within varied postings.

However, the number of individual inquiries has recently risen to the point where I think a good, general posting that is easily searchable would be appropriate. So, here it is. I took the most recent Private Message (PM) I shared with another Forum member as the basis for this post.

I have had the privilege of working there for the past four years and plan to serve again for a month this summer (2018). So, if you are so motivated, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

First, and as others have asked me, religion is not a prerequisite. Although I am a Cradle Catholic myself, I am not aware that this has ever been a requirement. Having done at least one Camino IS a baseline requirement. They prefer volunteers who can both talk the talk and have walked the walk.

Second, as regards language skills, more is better, and Spanish is most preferred. But they will consider anyone with some skills in that area.

The language need also depends on the time of year you seek to volunteer. For example, if you work in the latter half of July and during August, Spanish is more highly valued as the percentage of arriving volunteers who speak Spanish as a first language is huge. From May until mid-July, the mix is more varied and other European languages are relatively more helpful.

For reference, to improve my survival level pilgrim Spanish, I use a Pimsleur CD course with 30 lessons that I repeat in cycle. I also use Duolingo.com every day to reinforce the spoken lessons. Each time I volunteer, my Spanish comprehension improves. I am very much a work in progress...

Third, as regards the actual process of becoming a volunteer / voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, I am repeating the content of previous posts as general post to all the forum readers who might be similarly interested. Here it is:

"To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

1. Write an e-mail to Sra. Montse Díaz at:

(NOTE: 'Mohn-say' is short for 'Monserrat,' a traditional woman's name in some provinces of Spain.)

info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when. I use the Microsoft BIng translator for best results.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate adequately.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The cycle is from (about) 1 - 15 of the month, and 16 - 30/31 of each month, depending on the month.

Information of interest:

Office work schedules start on Mondays.

Volunteers generally work six days out of seven. Every volunteer has a "dia libre" (day-off). That day off can vary from week to week.

The standard daily work shifts for volunteers are: 10:00 - 15:00 and 15:00 - 20:00. This fits into the work shifts for the full-time staff. They start earlier and end later.

The 'season' starts at Easter (Semana Santa) and runs through the end of September. The "peak season" is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do. The sun is warm, but the humidity is low. NIghts can be chilly. Rain is sparse. But, I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back.

You pay to get here and back, and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides free lodging.

Fluency in Spanish is not necessary, but some knowledge is. Volunteers who can converse in Spanish, or other needed languages, find themselves working behind the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims from all over the world and issuing Compostelas.

Folks like me, with a more rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, end up doing other supporting work that helps the rest of the staff, paid and volunteer, remain effective. The word around the office is that: "Tomas will do ANYTHING that is legal if you ask. If it is 'sketchy,' you need to ask real nice..."

That said, since I returned last August, I have been doing and repeating my Pimsleur CD Spanish course, using www.duolingo.com online, and listening to a series of university lectures about Spain. When I complete the courses, I repeat them...again and again...

Remember, the pilgrim flat does have an equipped kitchen, so you can shop and cook if you choose. They provide housing.

The pilgrim flat also has a washing machine, but no dryer. You spin the clothes as much as you can, then hang them on a folding drying rack. I employ 'batchelor ironing.' That is spin the clothes out using the machine, snap them open and hang on a hanger to dry. Presto! No wrinkles!

As from last September, the P/O has a new flat in a VERY historic building. All the above notes apply here. This, former vicarage, is located in the nearly 900 year-old Convento de Santa Clara de Asis (Convent of Saint Clare of Assisi), on Rua de San Roque. It has five bedrooms and three bathrooms, two kitchens, and a large salon or living room. It enjoys a marvelous overlook of the old city and the Cathedral, and is a 10-minute uphill walk from the Pilgrim Office. Google it... I toured the building before they actually took legal possession last year. It is fabulous!

Now is the time to toss your hat in the ring. Once we are into March, they have all their plans made. Remember, the early bird... I will walk into Santiago again in the second half of April. Usually, this is when I greet my old friends at the Pilgrim Office and elsewhere in Santiago, and arrange my specific dates. As soon as I return home, I make my travel arrangements.

Feel free to ask further questions. Oh, and tell Monste in your e-mail that: "Thomas, el grande Norteamericano con la barba" sent you... That is 'the big American with the beard...' I grew it on Camino last year and the family directed me to keep it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Muchas Gracias Mister Tom for this information. I have bookmarked this one for future reference. Buena suerte,y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the very informative post. Question - Do volunteers have to stay for a specific amount of time, ie 3 weeks, etc? Also, are their age requirements, ie 18 years old and over?

Great post, would love to volunteer there! My mother tongue is Portuguese and I know a bit of Spanish so maybe with some practice that would not be a problem.

I applied last fall, following Tom's instructions, and I just received my acceptance about a week ago. My volunteer period will be June 11-25. I am now in the process of making plans for the "before" and "after" period. I am leaning toward doing the Camino del Norte from Oviedo to its connection into the Francés at Arzúa, and on into Santiago during the three weeks before, and then doing the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago route in the three weeks after. I have yet to book a flight, but it will be in the May 15-July 15 time frame. Photography is my "big thing", so I refuse to walk on days of steady rain. Hopefully this schedule will give me a sufficient number of days to wait out any "non-walkable" ones. I did the Francés in 2015 and again in 2017, so these two would give me my third and fourth Compostela.

One more question for poor Tom. I was going to ask you about the living quarters, but you have covered everything I had in mind except one thing. Does the apartment have individual twin beds or is it the dreaded bunk beds?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All the beds were individual European style twin beds, two to a room. That means the mattress is on a platform of some type and does not use a separate innerspring.

These items of furniture were left from the previous occupants. When I saw the space in August last summer, I inquired and was told that new mattresses were to be obtained before this coming voluntario season. The linens are from the previous rented apartments. You do the laundry and change the linens, leaving the bed with fresh linens when you depart.

While there are two beds to a room, my understanding is that two people are assigned to a room only if: (a) if requested by the volunteer; or, (b) they have more than 5 voluntarios at that time. NOTE: There have been a few, limited, instances of "tag along" spouses...just sayin.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Tom - there was a question about minimum ages and minimum stays.
18 as a minimum age is my guess and two weeks minimum stay. Are these correct?? Cheers

I am not aware of a minimum age. You can send an e-mail as I suggested in my instructions and ask. I can tell you that there are multiple teenaged volunteers, engaged locally, who work in the office. One suspects the guiding principle is maturity and responsibility, rather than mere chronological age.

It is not a party, after several days working even only five or six hours daily, you are typically drained. This is especially true from June through the end of August when daily arrival numbers run in the thousands...every day... That said, I ALWAYS get more out of the experience than I put into it. Each year, I look forward to it more and more.

As a general matter, the minimum commitment sought is for two weeks, running Monday through Second Sunday. This comports with their scheduling. I have seen lesser days worked, and I have done half-weeks, depending on my travel dates. But, for first timers, I recommend sticking to the standard scheduling blocks, Monday - Sunday x 2.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Over the past several months, several fellow Forum members have asked individually about how to go about offering their services as volunteers (voluntarios) at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Each time, I have replied. In addition, I provided much of this information in direct replies within varied postings.

However, the number of individual inquiries has recently risen to the point where I think a good, general posting that is easily searchable would be appropriate. So, here it is. I took the most recent Private Message (PM) I shared with another Forum member as the basis for this post.

I have had the privilege of working there for the past four years and plan to serve again for a month this summer (2018). So, if you are so motivated, I can certainly point you in the right direction.

First, and as others have asked me, religion is not a prerequisite. Although I am a Cradle Catholic myself, I am not aware that this has ever been a requirement. Having done at least one Camino IS a baseline requirement. They prefer volunteers who can both talk the talk and have walked the walk.

Second, as regards language skills, more is better, and Spanish is most preferred. But they will consider anyone with some skills in that area.

The language need also depends on the time of year you seek to volunteer. For example, if you work in the latter half of July and during August, Spanish is more highly valued as the percentage of arriving volunteers who speak Spanish as a first language is huge. From May until mid-July, the mix is more varied and other European languages are relatively more helpful.

For reference, to improve my survival level pilgrim Spanish, I use a Pimsleur CD course with 30 lessons that I repeat in cycle. I also use Duolingo.com every day to reinforce the spoken lessons. Each time I volunteer, my Spanish comprehension improves. I am very much a work in progress...

Third, as regards the actual process of becoming a volunteer / voluntario at the Pilgrim Office, I am repeating the content of previous posts as general post to all the forum readers who might be similarly interested. Here it is:

"To answer those who are interested in becoming Pilgrim Office volunteers / voluntarios, here is the procedure:

(NOTE: 'Mohn-say' is short for 'Monserrat,' a traditional woman's name in some provinces of Spain.)

The message must be in Spanish. Introduce yourself. Indicate how many and which Caminos you have done, and when. I use the Microsoft BIng translator for best results.

2. Explain your level of Spanish spoken. Mine is basic, but I can communicate adequately.

3. Offer your services as a voluntario for a period of not less than two weeks. The cycle is from (about) 1 - 15 of the month, and 16 - 30/31 of each month, depending on the month.

Information of interest:

Volunteers generally work six days out of seven. Every volunteer has a "dia libre" (day-off). That day off can vary from week to week.

The standard daily work shifts for volunteers are: 10:00 - 15:00 and 15:00 - 20:00. This fits into the work shifts for the full-time staff. They start earlier and end later.

The 'season' starts at Easter (Semana Santa) and runs through the end of September. The "peak season" is about 15 June - 15 September. That is when voluntarios are most needed.

The weather in Santiago during June - September is equivalent to the winter months in South Florida where I live. That is to say DELIGHTFUL! That is one big reason I come to help when I do. The sun is warm, but the humidity is low. NIghts can be chilly. Rain is sparse. But, I would come anyway, and will as often as they invite me back.

You pay to get here and back, and to feed yourself. The volunteer coordinating group ACC (Acogida Cristiana en el Camino) provides free lodging.

Fluency in Spanish is not necessary, but some knowledge is. Volunteers who can converse in Spanish, or other needed languages, find themselves working behind the counter interviewing arriving pilgrims from all over the world and issuing Compostelas.

Folks like me, with a more rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, end up doing other supporting work that helps the rest of the staff, paid and volunteer, remain effective. The word around the office is that: "Tomas will do ANYTHING that is legal if you ask. If it is 'sketchy,' you need to ask real nice..."

That said, since I returned last August, I have been doing and repeating my Pimsleur CD Spanish course, using www.duolingo.com online, and listening to a series of university lectures about Spain. When I complete the courses, I repeat them...again and again...

Remember, the pilgrim flat does have an equipped kitchen, so you can shop and cook if you choose. They provide housing.

The pilgrim flat also has a washing machine, but no dryer. You spin the clothes as much as you can, then hang them on a folding drying rack. I employ 'batchelor ironing.' That is spin the clothes out using the machine, snap them open and hang on a hanger to dry. Presto! No wrinkles!

As from last September, the P/O has a new flat in a VERY historic building. All the above notes apply here. This, former vicarage, is located in the nearly 900 year-old Convento de Santa Clara de Asis (Convent of Saint Clare of Assisi), on Rua de San Roque. It has five bedrooms and three bathrooms, two kitchens, and a large salon or living room. It enjoys a marvelous overlook of the old city and the Cathedral, and is a 10-minute uphill walk from the Pilgrim Office. Google it... I toured the building before they actually took legal possession last year. It is fabulous!

Now is the time to toss your hat in the ring. Once we are into March, they have all their plans made. Remember, the early bird... I will walk into Santiago again in the second half of April. Usually, this is when I greet my old friends at the Pilgrim Office and elsewhere in Santiago, and arrange my specific dates. As soon as I return home, I make my travel arrangements.

Feel free to ask further questions. Oh, and tell Monste in your e-mail that: "Thomas, el grande Norteamericano con la barba" sent you... That is 'the big American with the beard...' I grew it on Camino last year and the family directed me to keep it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom
Thank you for very good information, Tom. This year will be difficult, but I will definitively try for 2019.
My native language is Swedish, English is high level. I speak rather fluently Italian, French and Spanish and a bit of Germain. I have walked twice in Spain, SJPP-Burgos 2011 and Pamplona-Santiago 2014, once in France, Le Puy-Cahors 2017 and will continue there this summer. That should give me a chance for the Pilgrim Office, I think.
Would be really nice!
Maggi

Hmm. My wife and I were in the Oficina last fall and early on we had a session - for lack of a better word - with one of the clergy - don't remember who - who laid out the fundamental and real religious underpinnings of the Camino. My wife is a (very liberal) Catholic and I'm a non-practicing Unitarian (whatever that is). I recall being *very* uncomfortable in that meeting. Not an appropriate time to open a discussion about the spiritual as opposed to religious nature of the Camino for many - including me. We kept our mouths shut and nodded a lot. It is true that at no point in the process were we ever asked about being Catholic.

Interesting post, thank you. Thought provoking.

The Church Of England is a catholic church. We say in church on Sunday that we are a "Holy, catholic and apostolic church."
Merely not Roman catholic.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom

Hi there Tom,

Well that worked a treat. I have been accepted and shall be working in the Pilgrim Office over the last week of September/first week of October. Montse has been very helpful as has Google Translate - I'm really looking forward to it.

On a more serious note, my sincere sympathies to all Floridians, indeed all of your country, affected by the tragic events of this week. I don't know what else to say.

Jeffrey

Jeff:

I am very glad that my advice for volunteering worked for you. Trust me, you will get far more out of the experience than you put into it. I always do.

My volunteer stint this year, as is my pattern, is to arrive before the Feast of Santiago on 25 July, and to work through the Feast of the Assumption on 15 August. This is statistically, the busiest time of the year. It is 'all hands to the pumps' during this month. So, I will likely be there from around 20 July through about 20 August. My final dates will be locked in when I arrive off the Camino Invierno in late April.

On another note, thank you very much for your note of condolence. The flags are, once again flying at half-staff in respect for the victims. These unfortunate events occur all too often. This one was about 20 minutes from the area where I live. As my wife says, that is too close for comfort. Then again, it can happen anywhere.

Y'all stay safe out there...and comfort one another.

The Church Of England is a catholic church. We say in church on Sunday that we are a "Holy, catholic and apostolic church."
Merely not Roman catholic.

Most likely, the word "catholic" is used in this context in the meaning of "general" or "universal" (Source:Four Marks of the Church). The Church of England does not have a selfconception of being a catholic church, but being a part of a universal church, "catholic" being only one property amongst others: "The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church" (Source).

Apart from that: thanks to all for the highly interesting insights into the Pilgrim Office's work!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd better get cracking on my Spanish then...
Thanks for the info.

Apparently, my previous post about exactly how to volunteer was a success, a BIG success. Recently, the Pilgrim Office asked me to confirm my planned volunteer dates at the PIlgrim Office in Santiago. I replied with the actual dates to encompass a one-month stint.

Imagine my surprise when I received a polite, but formulaic reply that "due to the number of volunteers this year, we are limiting all volunteer assignments to one 15-day period..." They provided a chart of the actual from and to dates.

I knew the office needed more volunteers. When I posted my recommended instructions, I had NO idea it would be so successful.:eek: Thank you for volunteering.

So, to all of you who have been successful in scoring a volunteer place, you will love it. I do not blame anyone for forcing me aside... (sic). This is proof of the old adage that says... "no good deed goes unpunished..." ;)

And so it goes...

Last edited:
Apparently, my previous post about exactly how to volunteer was a success, a BIG success. Recently, the Pilgrim Office asked me to confirm my planned volunteer dates at the PIlgrim Office in Santiago. I replied with the actual dates to encompass a one-month stint.

Imagine my surprise when I received a polite, by formulaic reply that "due to the number of volunteers this year, we are limiting all volunteer assignments to one 15-day period..." They provided a chart of the actual from and to dates.

I knew the office needed more volunteers. When I posted my recommended instructions, I had NO idea it would be so successful.:eek: Thank you for volunteering.

So, to all of you who have been successful in scoring a volunteer place, you will love it. I do not blame anyone for forcing me aside... (sic). This is proof of the old adage that says... "no good deed goes unpunished..." ;)

And so it goes...
Sorry to hear that Tom, but, like they say, no selfless good deed goes unpunished!

I've already booked my flights otherwise I'd stand down (he fibbed).

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction,

Regards

Jeff C

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom

I’m afraid the email address for the office you gave doesn’t work. Do you by any chance have another? It bounced.

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom
Thank you very much for your post, Tom. I also live in South Florida, in Tradition. Any chance you are near me?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wonder if Tex-Mex would be understandable? Lingua franca if you live near the border..sigh..just have to get that darn Camino done...
Followed by my impatient tapping of digits

Just do it, William!

Your tex-Mex, if fluent, trumps (no pun intended) my DIY self-taught Castellano Spanish.

One thing is for certain. Each year, my Spanish improves discernibly. Perhaps, before I get too old and infirm, I will be able to process Compostelas.

Presently, I am the "Cinderfella" for the office. I literally do anything and everything they ask me to do. If I do anything, it is to allow the regular staff and fluent Spanish speakers to remain at their positions processing more arriving Pilgrims. The office has 14 workstations with computers to input data. Plus, there is a separate casse or payment line for making payments of any monies owed for optional goods or services purchased. So, that is at least 15 people actively engaged in the work of the office during the day. My function is to keep them working efficiently.

At this time of year, early March, there are maybe 70 - 100 arriving pilgrims - all day. When I am there in mid-July to mid-August, the number is regularly above 1,500 daily and frequently over 2,000 daily. Several days last summer, we even hit 2,500 arriving pilgrims. So, it does get very busy and hectic at times. But, having done it four years running, I know what to expect.

From arranging stock in the souvenir section, keeping neat the individual workstations at the counter, changing 40-liter bottles of spring water on the water machine, tidying up - picking up trash and taking out the flattened corrugated boxes from all the paper processing, running errands, and to lugging cases of paper forms from the attic or the basement. This is interspersed with being outside, rain or shine (usually it is shine), to welcome and direct arriving pilgrims, answer questions, provide advice and directions, etc. Also, I have the benefit of working on my tan as well...;)

That all sounds WONDERFULL!
between me n you....and about a million forum members ime hoping to have enough saved...have enough leg work done to stand the strain and flat out patience...to make it up there....
Its a matter of when now..
I will be that one guy hugging everybody with the huge grin!
Lost 70 lbs..gained 5 back..ugh..hind legs are stronger and will soon start training with weighted pack
Its getting real-er by the week
Good Lord...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I am there in mid-July to mid-August, the number is regularly above 1,500 daily and frequently over 2,000 daily. Several days last summer, we even hit 2,500 arriving pilgrims.
And how many recognize you Tom? I suppose a few more do on the days you wear your colorful walking wear.

Actually, a few Forum members do come up to me during my summer volunteer stints. That’s always fun.

But the strange thing is when a Forum member tells me that they are “following me.” In my career, being followed was an operational liability. It meant that I was not successful at running a counter-surveillance routine.

Now, it’s just weird... :eek: I am still getting used any sort of notice or notoriety. o_O

Actually, a few Forum members do come up to me during my summer volunteer stints. That’s always fun.

But the strange thing is when a Forum member tells me that they are “following me.” In my career, being followed was an operational liability. It meant that I was not successful at running a counter-surveillance routine.

Now, it’s just weird... :eek: I am still getting used any sort of notice or notoriety. o_O
Thats why this chubby ninja uses a 400mm lens and stealth to catch the bad guys;)

Hi, thank you so much for posting your original message - I had been thinking about volunteering in some way so it gave me a push. I got my date from Monste last week for the start of Sept this year. Sorry to hear that your message was so successful that we have gazzumped your plans though! But I am looking forward to it so much - thank you again.

Hello fellow Pilgrims, I just received word from Sra. Montse Diaz to report for duty September 10 thru 24, 2018. YEA!! I had tried to get into one of the Hostels but they are full/completo. I am blessed to be able to serve......

Hello fellow Pilgrims, I just received word from Sra. Montse Diaz to report for duty September 10 thru 24, 2018. YEA!! I had tried to get into one of the Hostels but they are full/completo. I am blessed to be able to serve......
Good news - I'll be taking over from you (24 September - 8 October).

If you have the time could you let us all know how it goes please?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Peter:

I have been in regular contact with Sra. Montse Diaz at this address:

That should work. It does for me.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom a belated and big thank you. I managed to make contact with Montse and am volunteering 9 to 16 July. I ve been boning up in my Spanish using a brilliant and cheap course on Udemy.

Regards
Peter

Peter, I start my annual month-long stint the same day. I look forward to meeting you.

Hi Andres look forward to meeting you. ¿Hablas español?

Hi, thank you so much for posting your original message - I had been thinking about volunteering in some way so it gave me a push. I got my date from Monste last week for the start of Sept this year. Sorry to hear that your message was so successful that we have gazzumped your plans though! But I am looking forward to it so much - thank you again.
Looks like I will be relieving you on the 10th of September?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gee, I just love it when a plan comes together...:)

I fly to Santiago two weeks from today... yippee!! Looking forward to meeting those of you who were picked to volunteer while I will be there, 9 July to 12 August.

Dear t2andreo -- Just want you to know what it was your wonderful post about volunteering in Santiago that inspired me to volunteer in the Oficina del Peregrino this past May, following my 2nd Camino Frances. Volunteering there was everything you said it would be, and more. I so appreciate you putting me in touch with Montse. Much appreciated!!! Here is my long blog post about my volunteer experience, if you're interested.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear t2andreo -- Just want you to know what it was your wonderful post about volunteering in Santiago that inspired me to volunteer in the Oficina del Peregrino this past May, following my 2nd Camino Frances. Volunteering there was everything you said it would be, and more. I so appreciate you putting me in touch with Montse. Much appreciated!!! Here is my long blog post about my volunteer experience, if you're interested.
Thanks for the blog write up - six weeks to go for me! Was there anything you thought you ought to have taken for your two weeks?

Thanks for the blog write up - six weeks to go for me! Was there anything you thought you ought to have taken for your two weeks?
Hi Jeff! I didn't need anything other than what I already had in my backpack from doing the Camino. The Oficina del Peregrino provides you with a volunteer T-shirt, but if you're volunteering at the end of your Camino, you might want to ship some extra clothes ahead to Ivar's place in Santiago -- unless you want to continue wearing your Camino shoes & gear while volunteering (which is perfectly OK). The convent housing included use of a full kitchen, and there are several bakeries plus a grocery store very close to the convent. The only minor inconvenience is that there is NO wifi at the convent, nor at the Oficina del Peregrino. But I rather enjoyed unplugging. Maybe bring some books/audio-books? I didn't feel the need, I enjoyed exploring Santiago in my (limited) down time. Good luck & enjoy!

Nice to hear that there is no dress code at the Oficina del Peregrino. iT will make my packing easier. One question, though: I am arriving to Santiago day before (Sunday, August 26) to start on Monday 27. The lodging by The volunteer coordinating group ACC is provided from Monday, right? (Sunday overnight bed is to be arranged by myself)

It was lovely meeting you @t2andreo if only briefly! Thank you for being there and I hope you have a lovely time now with your family :)

Nice to hear that there is no dress code at the Oficina del Peregrino. iT will make my packing easier. One question, though: I am arriving to Santiago day before (Sunday, August 26) to start on Monday 27. The lodging by The volunteer coordinating group ACC is provided from Monday, right? (Sunday overnight bed is to be arranged by myself)
@Manicka - you are correct - the housing provided to ACC volunteers begins Monday afternoon, after you arrive at the Oficina del Peregrino with all your belongings. You’ll check out Monday morning two weeks later — you don’t work on that final Monday. So yes, you will need to find a place to sleep Sunday night. Enjoy your volunteer experience! It is wonderful.

Thank you, Leichecerca. I am looking forward to this new experience. I had my first Camino this year (Portuguese from Lisboa) with several hospitaleros helping me on the way. I hope to return back a little of this hospitality to other pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's a thought. How about putting a sticker on the front of your credential (small post-it?) so we know who is part of our extended family? Not that you'll get any favours! ;)

Just a few remarks to complete info about volunteering in ACC office:
- The Spanish language knowledge is not the essential requirement for working behind the counter. My Spanish is limited to basic sentences needed to communicate about credencial, compostela etc. I have them written on a piece of paper. When there is more communication needed, I asked somebody next to me who is fluent in Spanish. In return, I offered my knowledge of English, German, Czech and Russian language.
- One thing not mentioned here is ability to write in good-looking handwriting. This was sometimes a problem for me. I needed some time to exercise the writing before the shift.
- and yes, it is not easy work. You must be prepared to discuss (and sometimes argue) with a few pilgrims who do not fulfill the criteria to get the compostela. Sometimes, they even do not know about them. So be prepared for some stress, too.

But all that said, it was a wonderful experience. All the contacts with pilgrims, helping them and answering their questions and needs. And, of course, 2 weeks in a group of amazing people working with you. I am so glad I was given this opportunity.

Hi Tom - how did your one month volunteering role at the Pilgrims Office this year go? I hope as wonderfully as usual. When you have a chance, how about sharing a story or two from this year's time at the Pilgrims Office?
Thank you for the work you do in Santiago and also for all your posts and huge contribution to the miracle that is our Camino Forum.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Please report back, here, on how it went for you. Alternatively, you can start a private conversation with me.

If I would volunteer I would never make it to the front desk. I might have some suitable traits for working there but a neat handwriting is not one of them. Never will write decently. No matter how much I try.

Jenny (& all my Camino friends and colleagues):

My one month at Santiago this year went splendidly, but some aspects were different this year. At the office proper, everything went pretty much to the same routine and pattern. So, it was very easy for me to just show up, jump-in and be helpful.

One thing changed. Being another year older, and taking medication that causes me to lose some stamina, I developed a dislike for lugging 50 pound boxes of paper forms from the attic, three stair sets (6 stair runs) to the main floor. The up & down has to be repeated for each box. There is no shortcut.

One box contains enough Compostelas or Distance Certificates for most of one day (@1,750 to a box). So each day requires perhaps 3 - 5 of these boxes. That is 6 - 10 trips up and down the stairs....every day. Did I mention I have hypertension too...?

Luckily for all, I learned that the security staff will do this lugging early each morning before it gets busy, provided you ask nice and ask early. In extremis, the male staff and I formed a chain and each grabbed a box. One round trip with four other fellows, is far better than 5 on my own. But, needs must, it got done.

Outside the office, the big change was the location of the volunteer flat. For this year, and likely next, volunteers are housed in a rather large, but very old (800 + years) former vicarage at the Convento de Santa Clara de Asis (Convent of Saint Clare of Assisi). This huge (like a full block-long) solid stone edifice is on Avenida San Roque, uphill from the Pilgrim Office.

Saying uphill is a misnomer. It is a CLIMB. The streets of San Francisco or Lisbon have nothing on this urban slope. From the Pilgrim Office you turn right at the corner, then past the Basilica of Saint Francis (San Francesco) on your left. Continuing UPHILL, you eventually turn left onto Avenida San Roque at Plaza San Roque. The grade is easily 15 percent and likely 20 percent. it is only a 15 minute walk, but it can be torture, especially when it is 37 degrees and sunny...:eek:

Normally, that would not have been an issue. However, this year, my knees are acting up. So, needs must. I went to Decathlon (the out of town one) that first week and bought a Queucha hiking cane, with a rubber tip for €10. That helped me propel myself up the hill, in much the same way as a hiking pole works when you are on Camino. It was money very well spent.

The single best part of the entire month was the two groups of volunteers I had the pleasure of rooming with.

The first two weeks, I had a couple of fellows from the UK in adjacent rooms on my floor. One was from Aberdeen Scotland. The other from near London. They were excellent roommates, and I think, we became friends. We remain in contact. There were also two Spanish folks from Valencia. They roomed on the first floor. We were on 'el segundo piso.' Their English was as limited as is my Spanish. But we got on very well. I enjoyed this time with these four colleagues.

The second two-week stint week saw an increase in the head count. I was joined "at the convent" by a polyglot mix of folks, men and women. They were from Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Ireland and Canada. One woman loved to cook and loved to sing opera while she did so. We had a great time, like an extended family. We also ate very well...:)

In fact, we all agreed to ask for the same time period to volunteer next summer. We shall see what happens. I already put my chit in for the 15 July through 15 August timeframe.

Apropos of this, I was told that, next year (2019), the volunteer 'brackets" are going to go from 1 - 15 of a month and 15 - the last day of a month. This year they were every two weeks, Monday to Sunday. IMHO, the former 1 - 15, & 15 - 30 / 31 brackets are easier to manage.

As regards your request for "stories from Santiago" there are a couple of really good ones. One, told over dinner to a diverse group including a friend who is a Catholic priest elicited the group's insistence that this story go into my planned book of stories from the Camino.

People have been after me to write a book for some years now. Apparently, I tell a good story...go figure... But, I am in no rush as each Camino season and volunteer stint brings additional material for the eventual book.

My intent is NOT to write yet another 'how to' book. People already get enough of my advice and recommendation free here in the Forum. That is what I intend.

What I think is different is that I want to tell stories of people I encountered, helped, or heard about while I was on my various Caminos, or when I worked at the Pilgrim Office. Everyone has similar stories, and I will not include the lesser, more common stories.

My intent is to only include stories that transcend the usual: blisters, bed bug, bad food, wine or water, rude pilgrim, etc.. all encounters we have had when on Camino at one time or another. No, my book, when written, will include transformative stories, or stories that I have been told from reliable sources and which moved me. I believe they will also affect you, the reader.

Even @SYates, a good friend, is trying to get me to write it and self-publish via Amazon / Kindle. As many of you may know @SYates is an accomplished writer and self-published author. her book on Camino preparation is among the very, very best there is, at least IMHO.

One of the stories from this year involves a "heart of stone." All I will say (I know it's a tease) is that it is a love story, or at least an expression of love. It began in April and was not fulfilled until August of this year, and took two trips to Spain to accomplish. But, y'all are going to have to wait for the book to get the full story. When I told this story to a mixed group, they all acclaimed it was worthy of 'the book.'

Right now, I suffer from ennui and inertia. Perhaps if I can get motivated I will write the book. It will cover the many and various stories that I have developed over six Caminos and five years volunteering. I have a LOT of names to change...

I hope this helps... If anyone has specific or private issues concerning volunteering at Santiago, please send me a private message. I will reply.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tom -
Thanks so very much for your wonderful reply. It was so good to hear that all went well and that the team spirit was very much in evidence - in particular with the hauling of those heavy boxes from the attic to the main floor. The resourceful use of the Decathlon pole was excellent too!
The time you shared the apartment with new friends sounds brilliant - thank you for painting such a lovely picture here.
Yes! The book! We are all waiting for it! I know there's been mention of it before on the Forum and if your engaging writing style in your posts is any indication, it's going to be a terrific read. Keep us posted on how it's progressing.
Thanks again for your wonderful update -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom
Thank you Tom, very helpful (and quite entertaining :) )
Michele

Please report back, here, on how it went for you. Alternatively, you can start a private conversation with me.
Tom, my sincerest apologies for replying to you so late on this. I’m afraid I found my re-entry back to “real life” a bit of a shock to the system.... anyway better late than never I hope...

I really enjoyed my time as a volunteer. I found it so rewarding, at times hard work but much more enjoyable than I expected. It was wonderful meeting Pilgrims from all over and every single one had a different story. For me personally I found it so interesting- I quickly learnt to leave my preconceptions about people at the door.

In terms of practucalities, having language skills and semi-decent hand writing are definitely pluses! I speak a fair bit of Spanish so that helped - and it certainly helped my spoken Spanish too! But my lovely volunteer companion Peter didn’t have any spanish (he was able to cover off German Czech etc though!) and he was able to get on fine - a smile always helps!

Things were a little unorganised when we first arrived as Montse was off sick for the first week. But we quickly got settled in. I loved the apartment, yes it’s a very old building and yes there are lots of steps! But that didn’t bother me too much. Not having WiFi for the couple of weeks was probably good for me too! The apartment is basic but then you don’t need much - the bedrooms all seemed fairly big & comfortable and the kitchen while small has everything you might need.

It was still pretty busy at the office when I was there (end August/start September) and the first couple of days were overwhelming... so I had to make a consious decision to take a proper break once during my shift and to get out of the chair every hour (for water or the loo). I figured that there was no point in trying to rush through Pilgrims - it was far too easy to make mistakes - and also, even though the queues were often such that Pilgrims were waiting for more than 2-3 hours, each one still deserved a warm welcome and some kind words. For some people getting the Compostela is just a formality but for others I could see that it was a profound and important thing for the them - so it felt right to not be rushing people on.

Sorry for any spelling errors above and the rambling text - I’m typing on my phone and this will never get posted if I try to make it perfect!

I am hoping to work again this coming year - I’ve emailed Montse but not heard anything back as yet.

Thanks again for all your help and advice on this Tom - it’s is most appreciated.

Siobhan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am VERY glad that you had a positive experience as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. My hope is that more and more veteran pilgrims like you choose to give back to the Camino by offering their time as volunteers.

In my own way, I am trying to increase the pool of available folks in time for the coming Holy Year in 2021. When I am there this summer, I will discuss what they think they might do for that huge spike in pilgrims.

History tells us that the difference between the immediate preceding year's volume and the holy Year, could be as much as 80 percent. That is nearly DOUBLE the previous year's 'normal' volume.

For 2018, the normal volume rose to 327,000 +/-. This means that the expected volume for 2021 would likely be in excess of 600,000.

The reception facility is large enough, if managed properly. They key is having enough resources, including volunteers, to accommodate the surge in arriving pilgrims.

Some of my suggestions, based on long, professional experience before retiring, will include: longer office hours, overlapping volunteer shifts, specialized queues to handle similar transactions, removing souvenir sales from the main interview and documentation area, etc. But, I first need to see how the renovations on the entire facility are progressing and assess the thoughts of management.

I always need to remind myself that I am not the fellow in charge. I am just a loyal but knowledgeable helper-outer...

Thank you again for helping other pilgrims. I hope to see you some time there.

Last edited:
I am VERY glad that you had a positive experience as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. My hope is that more and more veteran pilgrims like you choose to give back to the Camino by offering their time as volunteers.

In my own way, I am trying to increase the pool of available folks in time for the coming Holy Year in 2021. When I am there this summer, I will discuss what they think they might do for that huge spike in pilgrims.

History tells us that the difference between the immediate preceding year's volume and the holy Year, could be as much as 80 percent. That is nearly DOUBLE the previous year's 'normal' volume.

For 2018, the normal volume rose to 327,000 +/-. This means that the expected volume for 2021 would likely be in excess of 600,000.

The reception facility is large enough, if managed properly. They key is having enough resources, including volunteers, to accommodate the surge in arriving pilgrims.

Some of my suggestions, based on long, professional experience before retiring, will include: longer office hours, overlapping volunteer shifts, specialized queues to handle similar transactions, removing souvenir sales from the main interview and documentation area, etc. But, I first need to see how the renovations on the entire facility are progressing and assess the thoughts of management.

I always need to remind myself that I am not the fellow in charge. I am just a loyal but knowledgeable helper-outer...

Thank you again for helping other pilgrims. I hope to see you some time there.
Hi Tom,

Seems reasonable to bounce this post: It is of high value to both many forum members as well as to the PO (Pilgrims Office). Thank you for that.

I will be in the PO from May 20th-June3rd, as you well know. Glad to notice that you will be in town part of that period, so I'll guess we need a gathering together with @SYates , @ivar :) and other forum members in town then... ;)

Your information is most informative and valuable. When volunteering in the PO this year, I think I should offer my services for the next Holy Year (and 2020) as well: It is going to be tough times in SdC for sure. But we'll talk later. CU in May.

Edit: This thread was of good help in order for me to being able to volunteer for service in the PO I thank you for that as well.

Last edited:
As another follow-up to Alexwalker's most recent post above, I would like to offer another piece of advice regarding volunteering at the Pilgrim Office for 2020.

Recently (early August 2019), Don Segundo, Dean of the cathedral for all things pilgrim-related was interviewed and quoted in La Voz de Galicia as saying that they hoped to have the Cathedral opened for Masses (and the Botafumeiro) "...by early 2020..."

Knowing what I know, I would suggest that timeframe might slide, and that a more likely date for a HUGE ceremonial reopening of the Cathedral might be the 2020 Feast of Santiago. This is always on 25 July. In 2020, this date falls on a weekend, a Saturday to be precise.

The 2021 Holy Year is so designated whenever the Saint's feast day falls on a Sunday.

By definition, this means that Santiago will be full-to-the gills with tourists and pilgrims... If you plan to end your Camino the week before or after the Feast of Santiago in 2020, or plan to come to volunteer around that time, GET YOUR PLANS SORTED... sooner rather than later...

The point of all this is that, if you plan to volunteer to work anywhere around this time of year, get your requests in early. I recommend October or November 2019, for the 2020 season.

Before I left the office last week, I informed management that I WOULD be back in 2020, and would be in contact with Sra. Monste Diaz, as stipulated in my top of this thread text in October or November.

Also, before I left Santiago last week, I took the added step of making a reservation for accommodation that I will pay for when I return to volunteer in 2020. I did this so the Pilgrim Office could bring another volunteer into the free flat. I am able to afford a modest room, so I shall.

Also, and worth noting, if there are any married couples out there, or two friends who would be willing to share one bedroom in the volunteer flat, SAY SO in your application to volunteer. Each of the five bedrooms have at least two single / twin beds in them.

So, in this regard, a couple who both want to work as volunteers is a 'two-fer.' For the 'cost' of one volunteer flat bedroom, they get two volunteers instead of the normal one. Solo volunteers are never asked to double-up. But a married couple or two friends could help both the housing situation and volunteer staffing by sharing the one large room. All of the flat bedrooms are quite large. At least one room has a 'matrimonial' bed (full size).

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the very informative post. Question - Do volunteers have to stay for a specific amount of time, ie 3 weeks, etc? Also, are their age requirements, ie 18 years old and over?
I was just reading this afternoon something online about the office and volunteering--it said the first to the fifttenth or the sixteenth through the end of the month for volunteering. It also said they do not provide housing--hence I cannot be sure what they have on the website is accurate since what Tom indicated is there is housing!

If the ACC accepts you as a volunteer to work in the Pilgrim Office, they typically will provide free lodging. Volunteer slots are normally for two week, starting and ending on a Monday.

Do not confuse the Cathedral Pilgrim Office with the Pilgrim House. The Pilgrim House, on Rua Nova, usually does not provide housing for volunteers. The Cathedral Pilgrim Office does, to the extent it can. Beyond their capacity, you would have to provide your own housing.

Note: ACC will not decide on their standard two-week volunteer slots for 2020, until January 2020. Yes, I know this is a disconnect.

You have to offer to work a two-week slot, in November 2019, when you are not sure of WHICH Monday would be the starting and ending dates. All I can suggest is to take the 2019 ACC Volunteer Planning Schedule, and extrapolate into 2020 from there.

I am attaching the 2019, and a scan of my “unofficial” 2020 markup to this message. Use it at your discretion... Caveat Emptor. I have no special knowledge in this regard. I just did what seemed reasonable to me, based on my personal experience. My planning is based on the 2020 markup.

This effectively means a 15-day minimum commitment. However, I usually arrive a few days early, and leave a few days after my assignments. For those “hip days” I rent a hotel or Hostal in town.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• ACC calendario - 2019.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ACC Calendario 2020A.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tom. Thanks for providing all of your wonderful insights with regards to volunteering in the Pilgrim's Office. I took your advice and just sent in my request fairly early (for July of 2020). I was wondering how long it takes to receive confirmation of a placement. Are they fairly slow in replying and placing people? Should I send a follow-up email in a month's time or so? Looking forward to your reply, Melissa

My email went unanswered so after about a week I printed it out and popped it in an envelope and posted it to montse, addressed to the pilgrim office. I had an email reply within a few days of doing that.

My email went unanswered so after about a week I printed it out and popped it in an envelope and posted it to montse, addressed to the pilgrim office. I had an email reply within a few days of doing that.
Thanks for your reply. I might consider doing that after another week or so. I am pretty impatient with these types of things...LOL!

Hi everyone -

Forum members following this thread might be interested to hear that Bina and Ken from Atlanta, Georgia in the US joined our monthly Pilgrims in Sydney lunch in the city yesterday. They joined a group of around 25 local pilgrims. Ken’s Forum name is kenwilltravel. Bina and Ken are currently on an extended Aussie trip - Sydney being their first stop.

Bina and Ken volunteered at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago earlier this year. They know Tom too! They shared stories from their experience and gave excellent advice - the Pilgrim Office is going to receive a spike in applications from Aussie pilgrims as a result, IMO! Thanks to them both for all they shared.

Here’s a photo of Bina and Ken, together with Forum members attending the meeting. I don’t have everyone’s Forum names - my apologies -

EBA5879B-172F-447C-ABA8-B7214E5F6879.png
From left - Saint Mike II, angelafinnigan, Elaine, Kristine Flood, Dick, Bina, kenwilltravel, OzAnnie, julie, Mary-Louise and me.

Ken has written a book - Sauntering to Santiago: The Camino de Santiago for Slow Walkers, which is available on Kindle Unlimited. For all of us Saunterers it’s a must-read - check it out.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Bina and I really enjoyed the meeting with the Pilgrims in Sydney and we would be happy to answer any questions about volunteering in the Pilgrims Office or walking the Portuguese Coastal. Thanks for inviting us!
Ken

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom
Thanks Tom, but I emailed Montse to the link above and came back as incorrect address.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot.
Cheers

Was there in the pilgrim office as a volunteer in October, offered to be there again in February and was told they'd really prefer me in April to cover Easter so I fly in on April 1, out on April 17.

Am watching this virus palaver with a keen eye, obvs.

Yes, I am scheduled for July, and I am closely monitoring the virus situation as well. Hopefully it will stabilize by then. It's great, however, that you are scheduled to go back for Easter! I loved Easter on the Camino last year!

Information of interest:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tom

Times change. The Camino is no different. People come and go. This includes personnel at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago.

I needed to edit my original post from 2019 about how to volunteer at the pilgrim office. But the system will not show me an “edit” button. So I will detail the few changes here. After you read the main post, apply the changes.

Changes:

1. Your request should be sent to Sr. Santiago Reyes (also known as Santi). He is the new manager of the ACC Voluntario program. DO NOT ADDRESS your request to Sta. Montse Díaz.

The e-Mail address remains the same.

2. Housing for volunteers is no longer at the Vicarage at the Convento de Santa Clara de Asis. Persons selected for a volunteer assignment will be advised of what housing is being used that season.

I think everything else is as I stated in the original post.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask, or send me a private conversation request.. I always reply.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second Andrew’s post of thanks for the terrific conversation you and Ivar had, Tom. It was so enjoyable and it was really useful to hear the latest news from the Pilgrim Office.
It’s going to be interesting to see how it all pans out next year - will the pilgrim numbers jump back to those seen in pre-Covid times, or will there be a reticence from pilgrims who may feel that it’s just too soon to walk which will result in lower numbers queuing at the Pilgrim Office and then of course not as great a need for a large crew of volunteers.
Cheers from Oz-
Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back