• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteering on the Camino.

JuanArbol

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
Hi all. I am currently enjoying my walk along the Camino Frances.
I am wondering if volunteering at an Alberque would be an enjoyable and worth while experience in the future in order the live in Spain for a month or so.
Has anyone any suggestions or feedback on this question? Thanks. Juan Arbol.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It can be very rewarding if you have the right mindset and skill set for it. It is very different from walking a Camino, though, as you see the same village for two weeks and different people every day - kind of the opposite of what you are likely experiencing now.

Additionally, you have to be comfortable with cleaning, problem-solving, maybe cooking, long days (usually 16-18hrs “on duty”) and two weeks straight without a break. I love it, but some people bristle at the idea of that much work for free, plus paying the travel costs to get there.

I've done it 4 times for 4 two-week periods. It's a lot of hard work, and I mean A LOT, but the fact that I've been a volunteer on 4 occasions is testimony to how I valued the experience. I normally stay in hotels when walking the Camino, but these 4 stints allowed me to experience Camino days from an albergue perspective, though I always had my own room in the albergues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are associations that prepare volunteers, with trainings.
Another group is organised by forum member @Rebekah Scott
In the US there are also training sessions, and in Italy, and probably elsewhere.
i do not know about Canada.
Additionally, you might find an albergue that would accept you as a volunteer on an ad hoc basis.
Other forum members, as well as those who have already posted, have experience also, I think mostly with not for profit albergues. Perhaps they will reply.
As @Vacajoe said, it is a lot of work, and a labour of love. I agree with him.

www.csj.org.uk is the website of the Confraternity of St James in London.They manage 2 albergues in Spain,Rabanal del Camino on the Frances and Miraz on the Norte.You will find information on volunteering with them on their website.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can also volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela, filling in Compostelas for newly arrived pilgrims. Lots of people really enjoy that! Ask about that when you arrive there.

In Canada there is the also a pilgrim association called the Canadian Company of Pilgrims which the provides training. The training coordinator is Tom Friedel.
Here's the Canadian Hospitalero blog, and there are posts with information on training sessions.

As mentioned above, training in Canada is offered by Tom Friesen (ON) and Mary Virtue (BC) and is available on both coasts and in Ontario.The training starts on a Friday evening with a Spanish meal and introductions and then continues on Saturday and Sunday from 8-4 each day. They try their best to find billeting for those from out of town.

I'd be in the Ontario training this year but I'll be walking in Spain when it happens, so I'll have to wait until next time.

Information about the training is regularly provided to members of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can also volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela, filling in Compostelas for newly arrived pilgrims. Lots of people really enjoy that! Ask about that when you arrive there.
Once a year in January , the Pilgrims Office recrutes new volunteers for the season to come. Look at the website https://acogidacristianaenloscaminosdesantiago.org/
i see the website is in Castillano but for sure there is a translated one in english .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back