• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vows of friendship

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
When I was a tiny lad l swore an oath of allegiance to my friends at school. It was a very serious thing in our little lives, to swear life-long allegiance. Years later I took an oath and swore allegiance to my country and pledged to abide by its laws. And later still, in my prime, in God’s house, I vowed a lifetime of love and fidelity in the presence of family and friends. Taking a vow is serious business. Giving our word is sacrosanct. And though life’s difficulties sometimes make it hard to keep our vows and promises, it is important to do our best because our word is who we are. On the Camino I found it very easy to make promises, to make a vow of friendship, an oath of allegiance, a pledge, spoken or unspoken. Being on a pilgrimage makes you open and receptive. We want to see and experience life not only as it is but also as it should be. As we want it to be. And we do. That is what makes it so memorable and special, that crazy and meandering and ridiculously long walk. The school friends to whom I swore an oath all those years ago have all gone their own way and I no longer make promises or vows or oaths. The future is too uncertain. The only promise I make is to myself, to be true to my word. Everything else is negotiable.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrims have been making Vows to walk to this or that Pilgrimage destination for well over a thousand years, and it isn't that easy to abandon such a Vow to God once it has been made.

I am under a Vow that I didn't exactly make but it was provided for me, to walk to Fatima. I haven't the faintest idea why. I made it about halfway last year, which is an OK start, and the various difficulties I've faced, plus some that we all of us have faced, do not excuse me in any degree from that Vow. But instead nearly every day I consider matters of opportunity and possibility for the Way versus unavoidable hindrance and worldly obligation.

The Vow simply remains.

Sus Eia.

The only vows I have ever made were when I married and I have kept them and intend to continue doing so. Its a question of it being, for me, the right thing to do.
Otherwise I have intentions and ideas and challenges for myself - some may work out, some may not but anything I REALLY want to do generally gets done unless life intervenes, and then you have to recognise that its not meant to be this time, or just yet, or maybe ever. I agree, the future is open, but I look to make opportunities or seize them, always hoping for the best but being realistic and accepting that generally things work out for the best. I know myself and my failings too well to make vows these days - life is a negotiation between the willing spirit (or the spirit that knows what it ought to do) and the sometimes reluctant body.
We should have been coming to the closing days of the vdlp, but I now wonder if it wouldnt have been too hot for me, so maybe its for the best as it was not a timing of choice in the first place. I might never get to use my sunshade umbrella now but then I might also not get to look like an alien thats just landed under a silver canopy. There must surely be a clever segue to every cloud and silver linings there but it escapes me.
My intention remains but the destination may have changed. Flow around the rock.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.