• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Vuelta bike race 2020

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

Some warnings.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
There will be few people in arrivals and mountain passes because it is recommended not to go there. A bit sad.
Yes, especially the route from Oloron/Ste. Marie where there is access to the Col de Tourmalet. I don't think the pilgrims pose an issue like massive crowds do to the race but having tried to traverse Ponferrada during a bike race, it can be a total pain in the behind with police redirecting you so far from your route that you end up walking in circles.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Thanks Don and Sabine,
Yes, so many well-known northern Spanish camino towns this time. But secretly I'm most excited about stage 6 when they'll nip over the border and take on the mighty Tourmalet....
Yes, and also Aubisque and Portalet.I wish they have a good weather.

alhartman

346 joyful days in Spain and France since 2005
Camino(s) past & future
Hope so!
The 1996 Vuelta was "Big Mig" Indurian last professional race. Climbed down of his bike about stage 13 and later went into retirement. One of the greatest riders ever and from the Basque country. Hometown Villava near Pamplona and on the camino. Close to Trinidad de Arre--one of my favorite alberques.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The 1996 Vuelta was "Big Mig" Indurian last professional race. Climbed down of his bike about stage 13 and later went into retirement. One of the greatest riders ever and from the Basque country. Hometown Villava near Pamplona and on the camino. Close to Trinidad de Arre--one of my favorite alberques.
Though Indurain could be considered "ethnically" as Basque, he is from Navarra not from the Basque country.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.

Bisnieta

Camino(s) past & future
(2021)
It's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I only first heard about the Camino by watching the Vuelta in past years.
So I've been looking for a free way to watch this year (recently that's been via NBCSN for us here in the US) & came across Cycling News' write-up this am. It offers a good wrap up of the challenges for race organizers because of Covid - changing every moment because of the second wave - & also scrutinizes the stages which seem to favor the possibility that a climber will win the whole thing this year.

Fingers crossed, the Vuelta will be able to pull off at least a partial rescue of this disastrous season.

Mike Wells

author of 'Cycling the Camino Frances'
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1995) (2017 twice) (2018); Via de la Plata (1996); Finisterre (2018)
In September 2017 the Vuelta had an individual time trial stage from the Circuito de Navarra near Los Arcos along the Camino route past Torres del Rio and Viana to end in Logroño. On this section, the Camino route crosses the main road eight times. As it was a time trial, the nearly 200 riders were spread out over 3 hours of road. The main road was closed to all other users, including cyclists. I was riding this section of the Camino that day, using the off-road route and was able to watch the riders flash past at many intersections. I ended the day in Viana as I could not get a hotel room in Logroño due to the huge Vuelta cavalcade booking all available rooms. Chris Froome won the stage and went on to win the whole event, thus completing a very rare double of Tour de France and Vuelta a España in the same year.

Meggins

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - One complete St.J.P.P to Santiago plus twice more for 500km each time.
For those currently walking. Vuelta starts in IRUN and though SAN SEBASTIEN on the 20th. Tuesday I believe. Wednesday it starts in PAMPLONA and through ESTELLA.
Sunday Stage 6 a formidable Mountain stage which hops over to the TOURMALET.
One year when I walked I bussed ahead 2 stages to see it end and then start next day in BURGOS. Then bussed back to meet my pal and walk ahead to Burgos. It was great fun very exciting and we had a wonderful Pilgrim Supper there!

Kristie

Camino(s) past & future
(2016)
We took a taxi from the train station in Pamplona to SJPDP. Our driver was astounded when I spoke of Indurain. He, and many Basque men look very similar to Indurain: tall, dark and lanky. It was a fun ride except he drove like a racer and I started to feel carsick. I would not have been able to handle the same drive on the bus. I would’ve tossed my cookies.

peregrino_tom

Camino(s) past & future
Meanderingly apropos of nothing at all and skidding away from the topic in a manner similar to Tommy Voeckler's off-road exploits in the 2011 Tour (ending up in the cul-de-sac of a citizen's parking lot):
Filippo Ganna's Time Trial bicycle - phew! presumably created by the warped genius of a Bond super villain, with some colouring input from Liberace's costume designer..

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
This thing? :eek:
The pic's from this article:
(Technology has come a way since I was racing on a Reynolds 531r frame and thought it was special! 🤣 )

Attachments

• VeP3B3hr8BB54zNYxPNwxd-1200-80.jpg
    VeP3B3hr8BB54zNYxPNwxd-1200-80.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 21

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I am always amazed what I learn from the posts on this forum. Except for the Tour de France, I haven’t followed cycling! But I am happy to post a positive comment about cyclng! Good luck to all riders , tourists and businesses involved! Stay safe out there!

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Live broadcast on SBS from midnight tonight, Sydney time. I'll be watching, if I can stay awake!

Bisnieta

Camino(s) past & future
(2021)
It will be broadcast in the US live at 7:55 AM Central to about 11 on OLY HD (if you have digital cable you probably have this) & they'll rerun it several times throughout the day & night.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@SabineP I’m finding the same. I turn the audio off every now and then to get a break.
Fell asleep half way through anyway, so caught up by watching the highlights the next day.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Finally the Vuelta will not enter France on Sunday because the French authorities do not allow because the covid and the curfew, so there won't be Tourmalet. The stage will end in Formigal.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
That's disappointing. If understandable.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The elevation gain from Biescas to Aramon Formigal is 1000 mts. We'll see if Roglic is the strongest.

peregrino_tom

Camino(s) past & future
Sadly no Tourmalet now. But what has made my week was the leading group's encounter with a family of rather plump wild ponies on a forest road descent. Not sure who was most startled 😲

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Yes. I saw it. At this time of the year there are beechnuts in the Navarro forests and the locals release their pigs to eat them.
But I think they watch the pigs to avoid them to invade the roads. The owner of the horses should have done this.
Congrats to the Irish members for the Sam Bennet victory.

Bisnieta

Camino(s) past & future
(2021)
Sadly no Tourmalet now. But what has made my week was the leading group's encounter with a family of rather plump wild ponies on a forest road descent. Not sure who was most startled 😲
That was definitely a sight you'll probably only see on the Vuelta! It's disappointing they won't get to climb Tourmalet but I'm excited to be able to see them go up to their quickly arranged substitute at Formigal. (Or rather, I would be if our US broadcast would show more scenery. Grrrrrr.)

Speaking of our broadcast on OLY, the guys who call the race, Bob Roll & Christian Vande Velde, do often refer to nearby sights that are also on the Camino Santiago & in fact were talking the other day about doing the CS together in the future - by bike, of course. That would make a great video!

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Today in La Vuelta a stage, I think not very important in the duel Roglic- Carapaz, between Lugo and Ourense.
We could see part of the Invierno (Chantada, Monforte, Lalin).

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The Vuelta has just passed near the romanesque church of San Paio de Diomondi (very elegant name !) near Monforte, which i remember being mentioned on this forum.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I was wondering if there are any photos of the bike race there. It was a very special part of the Invierno, but extremely quiet. It's hard to imagine the organized chaos of the Vuelta going through there.

Advertisement

Booking.com