• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wailing woman in Sarria

Siobhan87

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria, 3 Oct 2017
Hi everyone! First post from me. I'm a solo female traveller and arrived in Sarria yesterday to start my walk today. I'm staying in an albergue on the camino and last night an old woman started wailing and singing and playing a tin whistle for a few hours in the middle of the night. I booked a solo room for my first night but it looks like I'm the only person here.
I should probably take it as part of the experience, but the quietness and her wailing really scared me. I feel like I need to find people to talk to but it's still dark outside and now I'm nervous to get going.
Did anyone else hear the woman? Is Sarria usually this quiet? I should be safe on my own surely?
Thank you :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now with the sunrise you can easily walk. One of the special spots after leaving Sarria on route to Ferreiros are these fabulous trees. Do please give them a hug for me as you ponder all the pilgrims who have passed them across the eons.

234Towards Ferreios 2.jpg

In Ferreiros down the hill next to the local church and cemetery is a great restaurant/bar, Meson Mirabilos. Very pilgrim friendly do stop there for a welcome coffee or a good solid meal

Carpe diem and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your replies! I had a chat with someone on the way who said that a singing woman is a legend? Not sure about that!
Lots of smiling faces today so feeling better, it's good to get going. And I'll check out Meson Mirabilos :)
Buen camino

Now with the sunrise you can easily walk. One of the special spots after leaving Sarria on route to Ferreios are these fabulous trees. Do please give them a hug for me as you ponder all the pilgrims who have passed them across the eons.

View attachment 36611

In Ferreios down the hill next to the local church and cemetery is a great restaurant/bar, Meson Mirabilos. Very pilgrim friendly do stop there for a welcome coffee or a good solid meal

Carpe diem and Buen Camino!
Beautiful photo, Margaret!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your replies! I had a chat with someone on the way who said that a singing woman is a legend? Not sure about that!
Lots of smiling faces today so feeling better, it's good to get going. And I'll check out Meson Mirabilos :)
Buen camino
Glad to hear you are cheering up and having a good morning. Buen Camino, pilgrim!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The comfort of your new found amigos will be doubly embraced.
...and you have an excellent story to relate now and after you return home.

I have been alone in big and small albergues on various Camino routes.

I remember one time being all alone on the Via de la Plata.
It was a large building with two floors and several rooms.
Out of habit, I locked everything up...only two doors with good deadbolts. The doors were heavy and noisy to open and close.
I awoke about 11pm hearing someone walking above me. I checked the doors and they both locked as I had left them.
I called out and made noise. I went upstairs and checked every room and nook....nothing & nobody to be found. I am not easily spooked but that felt a bit strange.
I went back to bed and the sounds started again. The sounds of walking moved around including down the stairs. They would stop when I would get up and start looking for the source.
It was a long night. I can take care of myself, but was still spooked. I would have left if I had anywhere to go in the middle of the night.

I have often thought of how frightening this would have been for a lone woman.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would probably have been a bit freaked out if it if was me on my own as well Siobhan.

On a side note, we are leaving from Dublin on Thursday, what way is the weather? We are starting in Triacastela on Friday morning and I am packing tonight. I was just wondering what would you advise to bring clothes wise.

Hi Ger,

The forecast for Galicia looks very good. I have been checking it regularly because if there had been a lot of rain I would wear my boots, but it looks good.

We are possibly on the same flight from Dublin. Aerlingus at about one o'clock.

Buen Camino

IMG_6008.JPG Oh, the charms of the Camino. My favorite character last spring was Father Joyful...anyone else meet him? Harmless but interesting (air quotes around that). Met him in Altapuerca and again in Burgos.

You have a couple of beautiful days walking ahead of you, focus on those and enjoy every step. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Father Joyful looks worryingly like an ex bf! o_O
The weather turned hot and sunny and I believe will be for a week.
At dinner I was talking to others about my wailing woman who it turns out is probably a man, last seen very merry a few hours earlier in the day around Sarria playing his whistle. I obviously got his encore on the way home at 3am! :D

Out of habit, I locked everything up...only two doors with good deadbolts. The doors were heavy and noisy to open and close.
I awoke about 11pm hearing someone walking above me. I checked the doors and they both locked as I had left them.
I called out and made noise. I went upstairs and checked every room and nook....nothing & nobody to be found. I am not easily spooked but that felt a bit strange.
I went back to bed and the sounds started again. The sounds of walking moved around including down the stairs. They would stop when I would get up and start looking for the source.
It was a long night I can take care of myself but was still spooked. I would have left if I had anywhere to go in the middle of the night.

And I thought Ramon's albergue was on the Frances route! ;)

WHAAAAA????????

That would totally freak me out!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... last night an old woman started wailing and singing and playing a tin whistle for a few hours in the middle of the night. ..

:eek: I prefer to think that it was a ritual. o_O :confused:
In the deep of the night, the wailing and the sound of a whistle that is suggestive of the sound* made by a "basajuan" - a mythical creature that is also known as the protector of the forest - a Basque forest. They might have a similar creature in Sarria - so far from Pais Vasco. :D

* in the movie "the Invisible Guardian" based on the book of the same title written by Dolores Redondo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ger,

The forecast for Galicia looks very good. I have been checking it regularly because if there had been a lot of rain I would wear my boots, but it looks good.

We are possibly on the same flight from Dublin. Aerlingus at about one o'clock.

Buen Camino

Hi Lydia, I would say we are on the same flight tomorrow. Really looking forward to it now that it is finally here! I had been checking Accuweather and the forecast looks good until next Friday, we will wait and see...

Hi everyone! First post from me. I'm a solo female traveller and arrived in Sarria yesterday to start my walk today. I'm staying in an albergue on the camino and last night an old woman started wailing and singing and playing a tin whistle for a few hours in the middle of the night. I booked a solo room for my first night but it looks like I'm the only person here.
I should probably take it as part of the experience, but the quietness and her wailing really scared me. I feel like I need to find people to talk to but it's still dark outside and now I'm nervous to get going.
Did anyone else hear the woman? Is Sarria usually this quiet? I should be safe on my own surely?
Don’t worry ! You may well find many things strange on Camino ... it is ok ... one day at a time

Ultreia ! Onwards and upwards !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

It was a long night. I can take care of myself, but was still spooked. I would have left if I had anywhere to go in the middle of the night.

Fingers in my ears and humming really loudly. I got used on this last camino to sleeping in several albergues and hostals totally alone with not even a hospitalero within cooee. Was feeling quite proud of how early on in the walk I lost my nerves and slept soundly. Pride comes before... Now how do I wipe this story from my mind?!!o_Oo_Oo_O

Whenever alone in an albergue at night not all noises are bad; some may eventually be comforting.

Over past years I have spent many cosy Sahagun nights in the albergue de peregrinos Cluny but an October 2007 overnight is perhaps the most memorable. After a delicious lunch at Casa Barrunta in the village of San Nicolas the 'fun' began. From the highway which parallels the camino a taxi horn honked several times and the excited driver explained that a young 'hoodlum' wearing camouflage was walking nearby on the camino.

Within 10 minutes footsteps behind me crunched the gravel path. Bingo! It was a young guy wearing pink and grey camouflage! We looked at each other. I said "Hola!"; he grunted and passed.

Arriving at the municipal albergue I tried to explain the situation to the hospitalera who gave me a key to lock myself in since the huge place was empty and I was the sole pilgrim. Time passed. Later while in the shower I heard heavy footsteps mounting the stairs. Covered in soap suds I dashed for my poncho. Two big cops and two slim male cyclists appeared! "Senora, we've brought you some protection" said the cops. We all laughed, shook hands and I clad only in that sudsy poncho brewed tea for the five of us. After tea GREATLY relieved I finished showering, climbed into a cosy bunk to blissfully sleep protected by those most welcome cyclists.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You are not really comforting female (or male) walkers by that story...;)

But since you did not see anything, but you heard a lot, we must conclude that something/one invisible was there, just standing still and looking at you while you were looking for it/him/her...

Apparently there is a Polish pilgrim with a variety of whistles and recorders who is busking his way along the Camino. I reckon he must be the culprit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Reminds me of the night I spent in an Albergue in Pamplona run by a crazy German man. At precisely 6am an operatic aria was boomed loud over the house PA. Not what you wanted to hear after three very tiring days from SJPDP.

View attachment 36620 Oh, the charms of the Camino. My favorite character last spring was Father Joyful...anyone else meet him? Harmless but interesting (air quotes around that). Met him in Altapuerca and again in Burgos.

You have a couple of beautiful days walking ahead of you, focus on those and enjoy every step. Buen Camino![/QUOTE

Yes we ran into "Father" Joyful several times during our walk in May! He was certainly a character. He was doing quite well out of donations and fees for massage services and was basically doing the Camino for free. I hope he made it to the end. We had a wonderful experience, especially meeting everyone, and will most likely go back again despite our ailing joints. Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back