• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wainwright's Coast to Coast Walk in England

GoBird

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sept 2012
We had a great time on the Camino recently and came home planning the next hiking trip. Though not a pilgrimage, can anyone give insight on the Coast to Coast walk as compared to the Camino? Many thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 1999 I was planning on walking a Camino but our group decided on the shorter C2C instead - so the Camino came two years later. It was a wonderful walk, passing through three National Parks - the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors National Parks.
We used White Knights to reserve our accommodation and carry our luggage. I made us a 'credencial' which we had stamped at all the B&Bs we stayed in.
Although it was July it rained almost every day - not all day, but a few sprinkles every day and a couple of days with sleet, high winds crossing the Honnister Pass and the remains of foot and mouth disease across the countryside.
At the time I had the BBC VHS Video with Wainwright in it and an accompanying coffee table book by Derry Brabbs. Subsequently I was given a copy of the new BBC Coast to Coast DVD.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 990
  • Last stop.jpg
    Last stop.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 983
...an outstanding hike, not a stroll, with awesome scenery, youth hostels, quaint B&Bs and pubs. I hiked the C2C in summer 2005. It rained off an on for the first five days whilst traversing the Lake Districts with white-out fog hindering progress on occassion ( take a GPS?). As the C2C crosses the Yorkshire Dales it intersects with The Pennine Way, also worth considering. After reaching Robin Hood Bay I followed the coastal path for a day up to Whitby where Captain James Cook, important to colonials from Down Under, did his apprenticeship as a seaman. the 17th century house where he lodged is now a Museum. An excellent post- or pre-camino choice, requiring appropriate footware and hill-walking fitness.

Cheers,

ps The ruins of Whitby Abbey, (founded 657 AD) are situated within view of the coast and town. According to Venerable Bede (8th century monk) Whitby Abbey was home to Caedmon, England's earliest named poet. Originally ignorant of "the art of song" Caedmon learned to compose one night in the course of a dream...(wikipedia)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi GoBird,

like you, we decided to do the C2C as our next journey after the Camino back in 2000. It was a very different walk, with its own ambiance and rhythm. The history that you will journey through is quite amazing, from the Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans. If you love history and myths, the C2C is your walk.

We wrote a companion guide to the C2C, so if you're interested, have a look at:
http://www.goodwalkingbooks.com/odins_last_rune.html

regards... Almis

Almis, I love your website - was looking at a Via Francigena e-book on it yesterday.
Such a good idea!

Thanks Silvia,
I'm all about making walking more accessible to everyone who is interested in these journeys, especially the history.

cheers... Almis

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
GoBird said:
We had a great time on the Camino recently and came home planning the next hiking trip. Though not a pilgrimage, can anyone give insight on the Coast to Coast walk as compared to the Camino? Many thanks!

hi gobird I walked the lakeside half of this way in 2011 http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogs ... -post.html

IMHO I found it harder than the CF because I was carrying more gear and wild-camping but the views were spectacular only gave up half way because of the temptation of being so close to home and a warm bed.
most walk west to east though that means doing the hard bit first.
to those that may question why a post about this walk is on this forum I found this way just as spiritual as any Camino
Ian

Ah - Ian. A man after my own heart!
Any long walk in the countryside, the mountains, through woods and meadows is a spiritual walk.

“When you walk across the fields with your mind pure, then from all the stones and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of their soul come out and cling to you and become a holy fire in you”.
Ancient Hasidic Saying:

I walked the Coast to Coast after doing the Camino and found it much harder going than the Camino Frances but the views were wonderful. I also made my own 'Credential' and had it stamped in Youth Hostels and Post Offices. The walk, if not camping, is a LOT more expensive than the Camino though - even if you stay in Hostels and Camping Barns where you can. A good hike though

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm interested in doing the Coast To Coast next year. Generally it seems to be tougher than the Camino Frances which I've done twice.

I'm pretty okay at walking and putting in the Kilometers each day, but what I find difficult is downhill, rough ground, high stiles, stepping stones in rivers and the like. To be honest I fell a few times (as did many others) on rough ground. I managed to bypass those river stepping stones and there were no stiles that I remember.

So my question is, are there any tricky bits on the Coast To Coast?
Perhaps I should try find a forum on the Coast To Coast, but I said I'd try here first. Thanks!

Here is part of that Roman Road on the Camino Frances, that I found very difficult.
pd3170894.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would be important to understand that most walks in the UK are about getting out of the town and enjoying nature. Paths will take you high into the hills to spectacular places away from civilization where possible.

In contrast, the Camino is about walking from church to church. It cannot avoid crossing mountain ranges, but certainly doesn't seek out the more remote and rugged pathways I would expect the Coast to Coast walk to use.

Walked the C2C back in 2013. Fantastic walk. I've done quite a few long distance walking before this. Was Hubbies first long distance walk. He coped well. I don't think it was as hard as say the Del Norte but it was challenging in the first few days going over the lakes districts. We went in May and rained every day except one. We didn't mind as it is the UK and it rains. So we were prepared and expected it. Loads of mud through the fields. Those beautiful green fields look lovely but when you walk through them you can be knee high in mud. Met quite a few people along the way. More expensive to do than a pilgrimage as you stay in B&Bs. Can get your luggage transported. Very scenic and rewarding walk. Well worth doing. Good luck and enjoy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the C2C back in 2013. Fantastic walk. I've done quite a few long distance walking before this. Was Hubbies first long distance walk. He coped well. I don't think it was as hard as say the Del Norte but it was challenging in the first few days going over the lakes districts. We went in May and rained every day except one. We didn't mind as it is the UK and it rains. So we were prepared and expected it. Loads of mud through the fields. Those beautiful green fields look lovely but when you walk through them you can be knee high in mud. Met quite a few people along the way. More expensive to do than a pilgrimage as you stay in B&Bs. Can get your luggage transported. Very scenic and rewarding walk. Well worth doing. Good luck and enjoy.

now the pennine way that a hike.

now the pennine way that a hike.
Yes we talked about going back one day to do that one. This year we are off to do the Via Francigena through Italy. There are just so many hikes to do and not enough time or money. :(

I think it would be important to understand that most walks in the UK are about getting out of the town and enjoying nature. Paths will take you high into the hills to spectacular places away from civilization where possible.

In contrast, the Camino is about walking from church to church. It cannot avoid crossing mountain ranges, but certainly doesn't seek out the more remote and rugged pathways I would expect the Coast to Coast walk to use.
Is anyone familiar with any pilgrim-type trails in Scotland? After the Camino this year, I would like to plan a coast to coast walk in the land of my ancestors; something like Aberdeen on the east coast to Balquidhar (sp?) on the west coast….

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is anyone familiar with any pilgrim-type trails in Scotland? After the Camino this year, I would like to plan a coast to coast walk in the land of my ancestors; something like Aberdeen on the east coast to Balquidhar (sp?) on the west coast….
You might find the Scottish Churches Trust Pilgrim Journeys site useful.

You might find the Scottish Churches Trust Pilgrim Journeys site useful.
I took a look at those and was surprised to find that the "walking paths" are only tiny sections of the journeys. Do they just not allow any walking on the road there? I would think a person could walk across the Isle of Lewis, or Skye...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a look at those and was surprised to find that the "walking paths" are only tiny sections of the journeys. Do they just not allow any walking on the road there? I would think a person could walk across the Isle of Lewis, or Skye...
Yes, I later found this out as well. I am not interested in this kind of walk. I think there must be a way to do it solo, so I'm going to do a bit more research through a friend in Edinburgh. Because this is a travel company, there are other factors I'm sure.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.