• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waist packs and back packs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unless your pack is small and rides very high (carried on your shoulders, not on your hips), the only configuration I see this working in is with the waist pack in front of you. This is a configuration I've used with other waist packs, but I'm not fond of it overall (personal opinion).

I haven't used that particular waist pack, but it looks to have a thick waistband and padding, which will likely interfere with your pack waistband. Determining how far it will be along the continuum from simply annoying to a real problem will really depend on you trying it out with your specific gear combination.

I always use a bumbag that is very similar in size to this waist pack. I put it on first, with the bag at the front, and then put my pack on and clip it up under the bumbag. I carry all the things that I want easy access to (phone, money, credential, passport etc.) in the bumbag. When I get to a café/bar I can put my pack down outside and all my important bits remain with me. Works for me and I wouldn't camino without it.
Jacki.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with Walli Walker. I just finished walking with a similar bum bag worn in front. No problem with pack interference. It contained my camera, tissues, a pen and a mini ledger and my guide pages (Brierley pages of just my partial Camino). Plus 2 x .5L water bottles (no need for my Smart Tube system).

Hi David
Without knowing what your pack is, can't definitely say that it won't. I would be more concerned with the buckle placement so that it didn't cause any pressure points underneath your pack. As long as the belt is adjustable and the buckle can be slid along, you can usually avoid this. I've used various configuration before and never found them comfortable so stay with my Aarn packs and the balance bags which sit on your chest. Personal preference but works for me.

On the plus side, they look very strong and well made, would certainly keep everything dry and be perfect for taking in the albergue showers.

hello all,

I am thinking about buying on of these waist packs http://www.over-board.com.au/pro-light-waterproof-waist-pack-6-litres.html and was wondering if the belt and clip would interfere with the waist band of my back pack. So if anybody has had any experience of using on of these waist packs I would be interested to hear how you got on with it.

thanks
David
I bought a waist pack and removed the over large plastic closure clip, as I could feel it pressing into my back under the back pack. I sewed velcro onto the belt straps and now I can't feel it at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always use a bumbag that is very similar in size to this waist pack. I put it on first, with the bag at the front, and then put my pack on and clip it up under the bumbag. I carry all the things that I want easy access to (phone, money, credential, passport etc.) in the bumbag. When I get to a café/bar I can put my pack down outside and all my important bits remain with me. Works for me and I wouldn't camino without it.
Jacki.

Ditto! Plus I adjust the straps of the bumbag so that the buckle more to the front, that way it doesn't interfere with the main hip buckle nor gets pressed by the backpack into my back. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.