• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waist Packs!

although it has taken experimentation with safety pins and carabiners to reduce bounce.
Sounds annoying. Why bother with extra clips when a waist bag needs none of that and never moves around when removing the backpack. A crossover bag may look more posh at dinner time, but on the Camino I don't care.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am looking for a lightweight waist pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones you believe it could be better for the camino. Thanks

i am sure that there are cheap and lighter weight packs at most outdoor wear stores which will be perfectly fine ….. however, if you want really good gear it’s probably worth looking at those who really need it.

There seems to to some small manufacturers focussed on the US very long trail hikers for whom weight, waterproofness and durability are essential rather than preferable

hiker Youtube channels such as. Homemade Wunderlust and Darwin on the trail are good sources. From these I have started to follow gossemergear, ZPaxks Waymark and others like them.

They all seem to be fans of a durable and lightweight material called Dynema or Cuban Fiber. This is highly durable and waterproof, those who use this material generally seem to use taped seams

Dynema composite is expensive

best of luck. Tell us what you buy and why. I am interested in what you decide

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used an over the shoulder bag when I was in Paris for 5 days after my last Camino. After a few days my shoulder that held the strap started to ache. I much prefer the waist pack I used on my Camino's where I stowed money to last a day or two, my pilgrim credentials, Chapstick, phone and ear buds, mini travel Bible, gum, small stuff. I kept it minimal but it held all I needed. I never felt any poking or pinching from the waist belt. It became part of me, very comfortable.

Please, don't forget your money belt. You wear it under your clothes and while you sleep. I never travel without it. I keep my larger bills in it along with my credit card and debit card. My US Passport and copies of all. It never leaves my body unless I'm in the shower then it comes with me in a zip lock bag.

Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
I am looking for a lightweight waist pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones you believe it could be better for the camino. Thanks
Good night! I never knew this was so confusing, complicated, and stressful. I’ve changed my mind! I’m not going on the Camino.

OK. That’s not entirely true. Changing my mind, that is.

To address this issue I take four things, three of which have absolutely no weight, and no cost.

I’ll start with the fourth thing. A Seaside Summit back sack that weighs 2.8 ounces. It compresses into its own bag the size of about two walnuts. I pull it out when the day is done and place my five critical items in it. My passport, credit cards, money, phone, and any ticket or other important document I carried with me when I go to the store, for an evening walk in town, to eat dinner, and when I take my shower. When I go to bed I place it in the base of my sleep sack.

The other three items are as follows:

1. My general faith in humanity in that, not everyone is out to steal from me. Yes, there are bad people so I do my best not to tempt them by leaving my valuables in plainview of everyone on my bed while going to the shower shower.
2. My faith in God for his provision and protection. He has a purpose for me in walking the Camino. He will see that it is accomplished.
3. My God-given common sense. We’ve been given an incredible brain. It’s our responsibility to use it and throw in a little bit of wisdom in the process.

Yes, I believe in God and I realize that not everyone does. I don’t know how they deal with these things. I do know this. I was one way, and now I am totally different. And the thing that happened in between was Him. I’m so very grateful.

I hope to see you out there this year!
Hopefully you will recognize me. No butt pack, belly bag, or chest strap!

Osprey are good but pricey, and do a 4l one if you want to go big.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are thinking a waist pack is the best way to keep your valuables safe at *all times* then please get/borrow one, load it up and try walking with it and your pack for at least a whole day before you decide to take it on the camino. It looks sensible, is easily accessible and there are lots of models, but no matter how many I tried I could not get over the extra strap and buckle around my waist, or the extra weight pulling at the small of my back while walking - just awful. So I put on my everyday cross body bag under the pack instead and it worked and still works brilliantly! As it is always across my body, it comes with me everywhere, and when I go in the shower I pop it in my waterproof bag. It is never out of my sight, and at night I tighten the strap and wear it around my waist inside the sleeping bag.
Again there are many makes and models, I like the chunky zips and lightweight, durable material of a small Kipling bag, but they are not waterproof. I also have a Lifeventure RFID bag which is spacious and splashproof, but it's a bit too big for my liking. And a cheap, small, waterproof-ish Naturehike one which even has a slip-in pocket for my guidebook at the front. As with waist packs you should consider things like compartments, weight, strap width, adjuster buckles that will end up on your back rubbing under the pack etc. And remember, you will want to fit your passport, other documents, credencial(s), wallet, mobile and/or camera, plus a few bits and bobs in there - within reason, you don't want it too heavy. Always put it on before the backpack, and keep it there!
Can you tell me more about your waterproof bag you bring in the shower. I'm looking for lightweight and waterproof for the reason you stated in your post!
Thanks!

Can you tell me more about your waterproof bag you bring in the shower. I'm looking for lightweight and waterproof for the reason you stated in your post!
Thanks!
You can use something as basic as an oversized Ziploc bag like this. I've bought them at the Dollar store.

Or something like this waterproof packable day pack.

Can you tell me more about your waterproof bag you bring in the shower.
@trecile has basically covered it, but at the moment I am using a packable lightweight 15L Decathlon bag - dry clothes inside, toiletries in the zip pocket, all in one place, easy to grab and hit the shower. I also use it as hand luggage on the way there and back and shopping bag if needed. It might not be entirely waterproof but I try to hang it on the door or somewhere out of the water.

Attachments

• FORCLAZ_20BESACE_20VIO_20TRAVEL_20COMPACT_2015L_20AH20_20PE20_20PE21_20_7C_20PSHOT_812x.progre...jpg
    FORCLAZ_20BESACE_20VIO_20TRAVEL_20COMPACT_2015L_20AH20_20PE20_20PE21_20_7C_20PSHOT_812x.progre...jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It might not be entirely waterproof but I try to hang it on the door or somewhere out of the water.
Yes, you don't need something that's completely waterproof - it won't be receiving direct spray from the shower.

Everything has been said, but here's the cross-body/waist pack I use:

Works great for me. It's plenty big enough, and the strap is a good length for across the body, so it's comfortable. I wear it under my backpack and never take it off (except in the shower, of course.)

I have the Arc'teryx Mantis, too, and used it for my first couple of Caminos. It's great, too. I just like to buy new bags. 😬

I also bought one at Decathlon while I was in Spain and I liked it, too. Roomy. And cheap. (https://www.decathlon.com/products/multipocket-bag-travel-123350?variant=31626134421566)

But the Mountainsmith Knockabout is my favorite so far. I use it at home every day, too, and it looks brand new.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.