• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waist Packs!

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
I am looking for a lightweight waist pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones you believe it could be better for the camino. Thanks

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am looking for a lightweight fanny pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones could be better for the camino. Thanks
I just used one that I picked up from a China shop along the way. I think it cost about $3 - $4 and it was fine.

Yes thank you. but depends on what one want to put inside and how many compartments is needed. I think i will see if i find one big enough to fit phone, few things and even the guide so i don't need to reach my backpack. Hard from the pics online to guess the weight and size. I went and check stores don't have many options. I use to have a good one that had a few compartments and fit a lot of stuff inside but very heavy for the camino. I want to avoid more weight if possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Instead of a waist pack (I avoid the F word as it has a different meaning in British English!) I use a small crossbody bag. I put it on before my backpack, and only take it off while showering and sleeping. When I'm in the shower it goes into a waterproof bag that I take into the shower area, and when I'm sleeping it's next to me in my sleep sack. It holds my money, credit cards (except for spares that I keep well hidden elsewhere), phone, passport, and pilgrim's credential.
This is the one that I took on my last Camino

I am looking for a lightweight fanny pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones you believe it could be better for the camino. Thanks
Some backpacks come with large pockets on the hip belt and for me that negates the need for a waist pack

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are thinking a waist pack is the best way to keep your valuables safe at *all times* then please get/borrow one, load it up and try walking with it and your pack for at least a whole day before you decide to take it on the camino. It looks sensible, is easily accessible and there are lots of models, but no matter how many I tried I could not get over the extra strap and buckle around my waist, or the extra weight pulling at the small of my back while walking - just awful. So I put on my everyday cross body bag under the pack instead and it worked and still works brilliantly! As it is always across my body, it comes with me everywhere, and when I go in the shower I pop it in my waterproof bag. It is never out of my sight, and at night I tighten the strap and wear it around my waist inside the sleeping bag.
Again there are many makes and models, I like the chunky zips and lightweight, durable material of a small Kipling bag, but they are not waterproof. I also have a Lifeventure RFID bag which is spacious and splashproof, but it's a bit too big for my liking. And a cheap, small, waterproof-ish Naturehike one which even has a slip-in pocket for my guidebook at the front. As with waist packs you should consider things like compartments, weight, strap width, adjuster buckles that will end up on your back rubbing under the pack etc. And remember, you will want to fit your passport, other documents, credencial(s), wallet, mobile and/or camera, plus a few bits and bobs in there - within reason, you don't want it too heavy. Always put it on before the backpack, and keep it there!

Last edited:
The more simple, the better.

If you’re using it as a repository for valuables, then I’d suggest starting to use it at home for a couple of weeks before setting out - in fact I’d recommend that for wherever one stores passport, money, tickets etc. It needs to be such a ‘part of you’ that you instinctively know something’s wrong if it’s not there.

Instead of a waist pack (I avoid the F word as it has a different meaning in British English!) I use a small crossbody bag. I put it on before my backpack, and only take it off while showering and sleeping. When I'm in the shower it goes into a waterproof bag that I take into the shower area, and when I'm sleeping it's next to me in my sleep sack. It holds my money, credit cards (except for spares that I keep well hidden elsewhere), phone, passport, and pilgrim's credential.

Thank you Trecile i had no clue i was writing crazy stuff as the meaning changes a lot from US. Lol. I changed. Yes i bought a dry back to go to the shower with me. I used a cross body before but i think for me it is more practical the “waist bag”. I saw some youtube videos pointing to one so i will order online and return in case is not big enough or too big. I just need something simple but that fits credential, phone and passport to remove quickly as i go.

€60,-
I just need something simple but that fits credential, phone and passport to remove quickly as i go.
Yes, true, but also keep in mind that there might be a bit of content creep here ... the valuables bag/waist pack/crossbody bag should be accessible, and that means you soon start putting your notebook in there, and your lip balm, and maybe the sun glasses if the sun comes and goes, then some tissues in case there is no loo roll in the next café bar, and maybe some chocolate for on the way, and the guide book ... as well as your room key if you have your own room and take it out in the evening ... so make sure you have some spare room.

If you are thinking a waist pack is the best way to keep your valuables safe at *all times* then please get/borrow one, load it up and try walking with it and your pack for at least a whole day before you decide to take it on the camino. It looks sensible, is easily accessible and there are lots of models, but no matter how many I tried I could not get over the extra strap and buckle around my waist, or the extra weight pulling at the small of my back while walking - just awful. So I put on my everyday cross body bag under the pack instead and it worked and still works brilliantly! As it is always across my body, it comes with me everywhere, and when I go in the shower I pop it in my waterproof bag. It is never out of my sight, and at night I tighten the strap and wear it around my waist inside the sleeping bag.
Again there are many makes and models, I like the chunky zips and lightweight, durable material of a small Kipling bag, but they are not waterproof. I also have a Lifeventure RFID bag which is spacious and splashproof, but it's a bit too big for my liking. And a cheap, small, waterproof-ish Naturehike one which even has a slip-in pocket for my guidebook at the front. As with waist packs you should consider things like compartments, weight, strap width, adjuster buckles that will end up on your back rubbing under the pack etc. And remember, you will want to fit your passport, other documents, credencial(s), wallet, mobile and/or camera, plus a few bits and bobs in there - within reason, you don't want it too heavy. Always put it on before the backpack, and keep it there!
That is great help. Thank you. Gives me more to think as i dont want to be there walking with something uncomfortable hurting somewhere and stopping my journey to find different equipment. Yes i will buy here and test it here. Does not the crossbody clip or straps under the backpack hurt you? I may need to go try this better. Maybe a visit to REI to see what they have there so i can also try on. It is so annoying buying online and returnIng maybe i see a few good options locally. More and more i realize the importance of the right tools. I will try to travel light but want to travel with things that will not hurt me and will be more practical. The journey will be long, i need to make it easier for me. 🙂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, true, but also keep in mind that there might be a bit of content creep here ... the valuables bag/waist pack/crossbody bag should be accessible, and that means you soon start putting your notebook in there, and your lip balm, and maybe the sun glasses if the sun comes and goes, then some tissues in case there is no loo roll in the next café bar, and maybe some chocolate for on the way, and the guide book ... as well as your room key if you have your own room and take it out in the evening ... so make sure you have some spare room.
Good idea. I will make sure to have a little space in it. All i know this Camino is ALREADY changing me from a hoarder LOL to a minimalist! 🙂 But boy or boy i had know idea that one need to strategize ounces! They definitely add up. I never counted ounces in my life even when cooking!

I absolutely love this one! You can either use the water bottle holder or cinch it up. It holds absolutely everything important at your fingertips and has multiple compartments. The water bottle holder is handy if you are walking alone and can not reach the side pouch on your pack without removing it.
I am not a fan of crossover bags used with a backpack, but like them for shopping at home.

Does not the crossbody clip or straps under the backpack hurt you?
If the bag gets too heavy or the strap is too wide/stiff/sharp then yes, that can be a factor. I try to get a crossbody where the adjuster buckle is either on the front, or the strap is so short it will be near the bag body anyway, so nothing to rub under the pack. Having a flat webbing strap across my back is no problem unless it twists but you soon learn how to check that. It is much better *for me* than having the plastic belt buckle of a waist pack sitting under the backpack, and also for me the way the weight of the waist pack pulled at the small of my back that gave me a backache. It's the same with all things camino kit - try before you buy, or make sure you can return it, because things that look great on paper might not work. (Don't get me started on zip-off trousers vs running tights/leggings for walking ...) After 6-8 hours of walking in the baking sun/whipping wind/pouring rain, you don't need things to chafe, grate or pull unnecessarily!

€60,-
I am looking for a lightweight waist pack for the camino. So many options on amazon maybe you guys have one that you like better. Let me know which ones you believe it could be better for the camino. Thanks
Terra Nova laser 6. Super light, robust. Mine has been through CF and CP and still going strong! So good I bought 2 more as spares when this one finally gives up the ghost!

Tried many, have used this one for the last couple of years:

Deuter Belt I

Light, sturdy, minimalist, but large enough for my iPad mini, valuables and a rain pocho if needed.

I carry it crossbody most of the time, under the backpack straps, for easy access. Just back from the CF with it :)

Well, I wear a silk money belt pretty much 24/7 with my bank card, ins. card, big money and at night my passport. Then I have a cheap, but waterproof hip pack that holds my guidebook, iPhone, glasses, pilgrim pass, tissues. Works really well and I barely notice either one of them. Easy to pop them into a plastic bag for the shower, and also to sleep with minus the guidebook, pilgrim pass, and glasses.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used an old one I already had but now have one by Eagle Creek. I carried phone, camera, credential, copy of passport and small $$ in it. Carried in front. Worked well with backpack. Note: passport, credit cards and major $$ was carried in a moneybelt under my hiking pants. Might not work with tight clothing like leggings but I don't go for those. 😊

@trecile’s mention of a cross-body bag, and @camino Chrissy’s reminder of easy accessibility to a water bottle, sent me scurrying to see if my current cross-body bag with water bottle holder (picture attached) would work with my camino pack. I might have to remove that up-to-now useless pocket on the strap to lessen the bulk at the back but, otherwise, I think it would work just fine for me.
8CC464F0-8FDA-45B9-A1CB-034DA25CED1B.jpeg

Yes thank you. but depends on what one want to put inside and how many compartments is needed. I think i will see if i find one big enough to fit phone, few things and even the guide so i don't need to reach my backpack. Hard from the pics online to guess the weight and size. I went and check stores don't have many options. I use to have a good one that had a few compartments and fit a lot of stuff inside but very heavy for the camino. I want to avoid more weight if possible.
My guide goes in the side leg pocket of my hiking pants. My fanny pack as we call them in the USA is big enough for sunglasses, small money and credit card purse, chapstick, handkerchief, pen. I keep my phone in my zipped back pocket. After hiking I use it as a cross body bag so I chose orange.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of a waist pack have you considered wearing a very lightweight vest that has lots of pockets in assorted sizes? I found that to be far more functional than a waist pack.

Better than a waist pack IMHO, consider a Z Packs Multi-Pack. This is made by a small business in Florida, USA.

I have owned two of them, and they are incredibly versatile. You can attach it to your waist, chest, belly, or your rucksack. It can be slung cross shoulder as a woman's purse or "man bag." The first bag has now become a ditty bag for inside my pack. It got worn and less waterproof after many uses and thousands of km.

The bag comes with straps allowing you to fit to any of these configurations. But, I always order an extra set of straps to provide ultimate flexibility.

This way, if I unclip to from the rucksack to use as a shoulder bag, I do not need to disconnect the mounting straps. I just connect the second strap.

I found that the ZPack straps and clips, combined with lightweight Nite-Ize carabiners or zip ties, I can mount this clever, lightweight and waterproof sack anywhere I choose.

My preferred carry location is as a "belly" bag when I am walking. I have it attached to ride above my waist but lower than my chest. Everything I need during the day is in there. I experimented with various carry options. This is the one that works best for me.

See first (left) attached photo, below.

I have also carried this bag in the 'sporran' position. This is the same as the 'belly carry' I prefer, but rides lower than my rucksack waist belt. It is only a question of making the upper straps that attache to the rucksack should harness longer. I prefer this in hot or humid weather.

See second (right) photo, below.

CC591664-13C1-415E-8E7E-BCC2F648DA2F.jpeg5D83FE65-BE5E-40B1-A363-1258D6D8099A.jpeg

I also carry a compressed, Sea-to-Summit 16 liter sling bag inside, for use shopping when I arrive in a town. See: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ultra-sil-sling-bag. Also available on Amazon. Colors change dynamically.

NB: Since these photos were taken in 2017, I recently lost 44 pounds (20 kg) as a result of a recent, very severe illness. So, the belly bag would not 'bounce' as much as it did.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some backpacks come with large pockets on the hip belt and for me that negates the need for a waist pack
Mine has those large pockets that I put my phone (usually off just use it if I think I am lost or if I am getting tired and want to know if there is an albergue in the next town. I also always have it in a good zip lock bag) and my glasses. I use a money belt that I can put my credit cards, extra cash and passports) Works for me. Take the money belt and my phone in the shower with me.

An idea that was suggested to me by John Brierley in his guide. Tear the pages you need that day out of your guide and put it in a convenient place. Your guide gets a little lighter each day. I now only use apps and Gronze.com. I know he has a few of his guides on Kindle also.

Can't beat Decathlon for things like this. I have 2 models, one for at home which is quite large and IMHO not needed when you use a backpack and a very small one which I recently bought and took on my recent Camino. Perfect size for your passport, credential, wallet, etc. It even fit a small reading book. Can't remember the price but it inexpensive and weights close to nothing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I could not get over the extra strap and buckle around my waist, or the extra weight pulling at the small of my back while walking - just awful.
Totally my experience! Just the idea upsets me! Maybe because that area around my waist is generally already occupied by a layer of fat that is my constant unwelcome companion.

This illustrates how new long-distance walkers need to test every little item of their equipment on a couple of 20-km walks before leaving home. Something like a buckle in the wrong place, or a seam on your underwear, can drive you crazy. I prefer a slim cross-body pouch, but it took some trial and error to get the length right and stop the rhythmic bounce as I walked. Now it is resolved with an adjustable strap and a large safety pin or carabiner strategically placed.

Can't beat Decathlon for things like this.
Mention of Decathlon sent me looking on their site, and I found this bag that looks like it could be practical. You can attach it to the waist belt of your backpack (those hip belt pockets are often just too small), or use it with its own belt.

For a crossbody bag this one looks good and converts to a waist pack

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is one that I have used on the Camino and plan to use again. What I love about it is that it easily converts from a shoulder strap to a fanny pack and it also holds a small water bottle. ENGYEN Waist Bag,Fanny Pack,Waist Pack,Adjustable Strap,Adjustable Water Bottle Holder,Outdoor,Sports,Jogging,Walking,Hiking,Cycling,Carrying iPhone 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J998C6/?tag=casaivar02-20

I picked up an old secondhand Kipling crossbody that i could unclip then re clip around my waist. Held my passport, phone, cash, credit cards ( kept it to this minimum) but just could not fit brierly guide.

Here is one that I have used on the Camino and plan to use again. What I love about it is that it easily converts from a shoulder strap to a fanny pack and it also holds a small water bottle. ENGYEN Waist Bag,Fanny Pack,Waist Pack,Adjustable Strap,Adjustable Water Bottle Holder,Outdoor,Sports,Jogging,Walking,Hiking,Cycling,Carrying iPhone 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078J998C6/?tag=casaivar02-20
This is the exact one I use and abdolutely love it! See my comments on post #14. It comes in several colors. I chose basic gray.

Last edited:

€60,-
If the bag gets too heavy or the strap is too wide/stiff/sharp then yes, that can be a factor. I try to get a crossbody where the adjuster buckle is either on the front, or the strap is so short it will be near the bag body anyway, so nothing to rub under the pack. Having a flat webbing strap across my back is no problem unless it twists but you soon learn how to check that. It is much better *for me* than having the plastic belt buckle of a waist pack sitting under the backpack, and also for me the way the weight of the waist pack pulled at the small of my back that gave me a backache. It's the same with all things camino kit - try before you buy, or make sure you can return it, because things that look great on paper might not work. (Don't get me started on zip-off trousers vs running tights/leggings for walking ...) After 6-8 hours of walking in the baking sun/whipping wind/pouring rain, you don't need things to chafe, grate or pull unnecessarily!
Who knew going to the woods and hike could get so technical lol ! Before this was all about looks and colors etc not with this camino it all because a research and test drive! And more i learn more i see why is wise to test this stuff before one goes. I have see the ugly blisters pictures. So research and try out is my fun project now. We cant avoid all problems but this is easy to check before i go. Like you said i am not sure if i will be comfortable with the cross body but will test that too. I am used to the “bumbags”.

Looking good! looks spacious. Does it fit the Camino passport properly? Love it that is on amazon because their return policy is good if doesn't fit my stuff.

I found one with bottle holders on either side at a yard sale and have begun wearing it to find out if it will work for me. Just a thought.
Funny u say that. Because i have that one right now and i am thinking that it is too big. Wondering if i shift all the weight with two water bottles from pack to the waist i might create pain later. I am debating if drop this old one and use one not with water holder and just the one without holding water, also smaller to put inside sleep bag at night too. Here is the one i already have conflicts with the hipbelt of backpack. Overlaps is too big. I love it alone when i want to go hike here just with the minimal and 2 waters.

Attachments

• 25833382-1150-4211-8504-B635A198E7F2.jpeg
    25833382-1150-4211-8504-B635A198E7F2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I absolutely love this one! You can either use the water bottle holder or cinch it up. It holds absolutely everything important at your fingertips and has multiple compartments. The water bottle holder is handy if you are walking alone and can not reach the side pouch on your pack without removing it.
I am not a fan of crossover bags used with a backpack, but like them for shopping at home.
Wow. Seems like it can also became a cute regular handbag too when don't want to use as waistbag? Is that right? I enjoy dual purpose!

The major benefit of the bumbag/money belt, cross bag for valuables is the very fact that you can keep them on you at all times especially when you take your rucksack off to use services, get tea etc. Never had a problem wearing both.

I also gave one of those crops chest strap packs mine is by OMM, I use that for my paper maps when doing long walks where I keep the paper handy in case if electronics failures. (Also works as a very handy snack pouch)

Maybe not needed so much in sunny Spain ( but maybes in green Galicia), I usually spray my bumbag, chest pack and rucksack with Fabsil, just to keep them watertight. ( bumbag I spray inside and out as it carries important documents. Can be done well in advance. I also spray my footwear with waterproofer after cleaning. Not always necessary but it's become a habit and it seems to work. I spray inside my rucksack with pet flea deterrent which seemingly works on bedbugs as well. Ticks are another matter as a dying bite is enough to pass on their unsavoury gifts.

Oi Neia! I'm doing the camino now and am using Decathlon's 10L packable backpack which weights nothing and fits all valuables - Kindle, credencial, money, ID, etc. It costs like €3 and is so handy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a Timbuk2 waist pouch and have for several years. Not cumbersome at all and I don't even know I have it on with my pack.

Yes! I recommend these also. Perfectly sized for bank cards, passports, phone and so on. I keep my travel-guides on my phone… always. But I carry my credendiale In the Baggalini and the elevation map one receives in SJPdP as well. Now, of course, I get elevation maps on the @wisepilgrim app too, so even less to worry about fitting in, regardless of which trail I’ve taken or plan for the future (so far).

I do have an Osprey waist pack, but I only use that when hiking in places where I won’t be stopping for snacks in 5-10K all day.

One problem with waist packs is that they can really put pressure on the lumbar spine unless you put the pack part in back…. But that method doesn’t work if one has a backpack on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One problem with waist packs is that they can really put pressure on the lumbar spine unless you put the pack part in back…. But that method doesn’t work if one has a backpack on.
I have never noticed any pressure on my spine as the weight carried is so very minimal.

I have never noticed any pressure on my spine as the weight carried is so very minimal.
My waist pack is 6L. Carries snacks for a full day without support, and The kinds of allergy meds one needs *very quickly* if/when needed. I probably start out at 3 pounds and eat 1.5 pounds. My pack for such treks is stuffed with change-out layers, regulation first aid equipment, and so on.
It’s a drag….
But anyone who has lower spine issues should probably avoid carrying a large waist pack like the one @NeiaBrazil posted a photo of.

My waist bag is adequate but not huge. It only needs to carry my passport, credencial, credit/debit card, phone, sunglasses, a small coin purse for cash, and a tiny snackbag with a few ibuprofen.
Faye, obviously your needs are different. As with all other gear suggestions, there is no "one size fits all".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My waist bag is adequate but not huge. It only needs to carry my passport, credencial, credit/debit card, phone, sunglasses, a small coin purse for cash, and a tiny snackbag with a few ibuprofen.
Faye, obviously your needs are different. As with all other gear suggestions, there is no "one size fits all".

Yeah, on camino I don’t do a waist-pack at all. Just the tiny cross-body bag.

@NeiaBrazil — consider the very small cross-body. Snacks like almonds, a yogurt, or a small pastry can fit in the hip pocket of your backpack. I’ve been known to stash a banana in my cargo pants…
Sometimes I get chocolate, it I have only *carried* chocolate in cooler weather on the Portuguese. IT would have melted in an instant on either CF.

If, like me, you need to carry accessible meds, put them in the top compartment of your pack, or the outermost pocket. If you have something like an epi-pen or other emergency dispenser, you can buy special pouches for them with reflective markings. I always let anyone I’m walking with know where my pen is — in case of bees.

Even so, on a Camino, I do not carry those things in a waist pack.

Faye This was my worry to carry two bottle of water in them in that place. I did not now if existed such a thing that weight place there in combination with backpack could cause something with longs days walking. I guess it does since you mentioned it, so it confirmed my worry.
I am thinking it will be safer if i use more for the other stuff( not two water bottles) to not making it so heavy around my hips.
I also have another old one here with just one bottle of water, that again not really appropriate size to carry passport, credential, snacks... Thats why for the camino i will rely on you guys here, that are showing me the size of what i need better than guess from a picture online. I dont even know the size of the credential yet as i didnt receive mine yet. 🙂 I am curious! I Just ordered the credential from this forum and i am sooo excited to receive it in my mail and when arrives i have a better idea of the size and will test inside a new waist pack with the other stuff. I will get one of the ones linked here.
here is another picture of the other one i have that will not fit what i need. As u see fit one water bottle but pocket is tiny. The other one is Too big. This pink one is small. 🙃 So now i need “the perfect“ one for the camino. It is great to have this forum to ask lots of experienced hikers for equipment advice, planning etc... ♥️

Attachments

• 4E5C49A3-1DC1-4B93-8F8D-593A8B7507BA.jpeg
    4E5C49A3-1DC1-4B93-8F8D-593A8B7507BA.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 77
Yeah, on camino I don’t do a waist-pack at all. Just the tiny cross-body bag.

@NeiaBrazil — consider the very small cross-body. Snacks like almonds, a yogurt, or a small pastry can fit in the hip pocket of your backpack. I’ve been known to stash a banana in my cargo pants…
Sometimes I get chocolate, it I have only *carried* chocolate in cooler weather on the Portuguese. IT would have melted in an instant on either CF.

If, like me, you need to carry accessible meds, put them in the top compartment of your pack, or the outermost pocket. If you have something like an epi-pen or other emergency dispenser, you can buy special pouches for them with reflective markings. I always let anyone I’m walking with know where my pen is — in case of bees.

Even so, on a Camino, I do not carry those things in a waist pack.
Oh wow this is also very enlightening here. Thanks. Smart of you advising you have that pen. I would never guess and would not be able to help appropriately. I am glad you go prepared with this problem. Funny about the banana! Lol. I never did a camino YET but i can totally see me doing something like that. Thank you for sharing how you prepare. I appreciate it. Yes i will be taking some medications too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Faye This was my worry to carry two bottle of water in them in that place. I did not now if existed such a thing that weight place there in combination with backpack could cause something with longs days walking. I guess it does since you mentioned it, so it confirmed my worry.
I am thinking it will be safer if i use more for the other stuff( not two water bottles) to not making it so heavy around my hips.

Yeah… either have your water in the side pouches of your pack (you can even get hoses to attach to the bottles so you don’t have to reach for them, or use a hydration bladder). I am not certain about other packs but many of the Ospreys come with hydration bladders.

TBH, I don’t drink water. I but the UHT milk in 1-1.5 litre bottles and put them in my pack in the morning. But I *do* fill my hydration bladder with water — and ICE if I can get it — to help keep my body cooler. The Osprey bladders have very large fold-over openings that are easy to throw a pile of ice into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, would love to hear your pros and cons for hiking pants vs leggings…. I’m typically a pants person but…

Wow, 49 posts and no one has mentioned pockets. The pockets in my trousers (pants) hold everything I think it likely I might need access to while I’m walking. My backpack holds everything else. If it doesn’t fit in either I wouldn’t carry it. Cash stash goes in a body belt that sits on what I like to call my waist and well above the hip line where my pack sits.
Nevertheless , if you want to want to wander about with all your valuables in a clearly designated place and a nasty bruise on your hip from the side clip buy a (rude word) bag and enjoy 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
49 posts and no one has mentioned pockets
Well no, because the idea is to keep these things - at least the passport etc - in places other than your clothes. Also, a lot of women's clothes don't have that many pockets! Men seem to be getting more of them than we do. I like having my valuables and essentials, the stuff I want with me at all times, in a small crossbody bag rather then find that my secret credit card has ended up in the hot drier or I have accidentally laundered my money 😳!

Wow, 49 posts and no one has mentioned pockets. The pockets in my trousers (pants) hold everything I think it likely I might need access to while I’m walking. My backpack holds everything else. If it doesn’t fit in either I wouldn’t carry it. Cash stash goes in a body belt that sits on what I like to call my waist and well above the hip line where my pack sits.
Nevertheless , if you want to want to wander about with all your valuables in a clearly designated place and a nasty bruise on your hip from the side clip buy a (rude word) bag and enjoy 😉
Ah, the holy grail of women’s pants with useful pockets. Have yet to find any that fit- not even concerned with how they look.

I did say that I have been known to carry a banana in my trouser pocket, and that on a camino I use the hip pockets of the backpack for other things (lip balm, snacks, small change etc).
But as @nidarosa notes: our shirts don’t come with a front pocket (usually), and I find that those that do have wretchedly rigid seams. Yuck. So the cross-body bag is basically a nice, convenient set of 3 small pockets.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@NeiaBrazil you mention carrying wa
Well no, because the idea is to keep these things - at least the passport etc - in places other than your clothes. Also, a lot of women's clothes don't have that many pockets! Men seem to be getting more of them than we do. I like having my valuables and essentials, the stuff I want with me at all times, in a small crossbody bag rather then find that my secret credit card has ended up in the hot drier or I have accidentally laundered my money 😳!
Exactly! With everything in my crossbody bag I'm not constantly having to move everything from one set of clothes to another.
I'm used to carrying a small crossbody bag in my regular daily life, so it feels normal and natural to do so on the Camino also.

Ah, the holy grail of women’s pants with useful pockets. Have yet to find any that fit- not even concerned with how they look.
I have a few pair of "hiking pants" with barely functional pockets. Certainly nothing large enough to comfortably carry a passport or credential, let alone my oversized phone.

Yes, yes, yes, Tinka has obviously never noticed that women’s clothing lacks functionally sized pockets. It’s a major beef with me and I’ve fired off a few emails recently about that very thing. 😡
Even if my hiking pants had many pockets, I still prefer my valuables in one small confined space on the Camino, which I secure in a bottom corner of my sleeping bag each night.

€83,-
It’s interesting innit. Trousers is trousers - waistband, crotch, rise & inside leg - “dress left or right sir?” is an irrelevant question on the distaff but otherwise fit is the only criteria. The Beloved has worn Columbia without complaint for years. “Cargo” pocket, two side pockets, two “safety” zipped pockets accessed via the side pockets, two buttoned “backside” pockets that remain accessible even with a backpack on. Waist sizing and welt width good enough to carry a 2 inch belt.
Although we are slowly passing through the era wherein outdoor outfitters figured that women’s clothing just needed to be smaller and pink I’d like to think that we’ve got past “does my bum look big in this?”. I’m ever so conscious that our anatomies are different (by the time you get to be a great grandfather you’ll have picked up hints) but they ain’t that different. Next time a clothing manufacturer assumes that you’re carrying a handbag try hitting them with it 😉

I was given a PacSafe waist belt from a frien, the waistband was suppose to be cut proof. It had one large compartment where I was able to put my guidebook, pen, credencial and passport. In the smaller pouch I kept a small wallet, lip sill and other odds and ends. Not sure if it was bought at CAA in Ontario. It worked well except for when it rained and I hadn’t put credential and passport in a waterproof.

Windwomyn aka Cathy

Attachments

• 5184218E-A733-418D-BE90-6ABAA03BDEC1.jpeg
    5184218E-A733-418D-BE90-6ABAA03BDEC1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 29C62257-31AC-4742-B43E-560C17D6793F.jpeg
    29C62257-31AC-4742-B43E-560C17D6793F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
clothes designers want us to have to buy the handbag
They might want me to, but I carry a small bag with my valuables because it is the most sensible and practical solution (for me, YMMV). I wouldn't want to have things in pockets where I could forget to take them out when I was tired and leave them in communal areas or stick them in a washing machine. My small bag never leaves me and all the stuff stays in there no matter what I wear - no need to reorganise valuables into another set of clothes. Strap goes over my head, done.

I modified a Sea to Summit bag to carry on my chest - it has its own strap for ‘evening wear’. Big enough for phone, sunglasses, passport etc. Coiee

Attachments

• 147CB982-DF4D-47B5-A51E-6D8247C1ECBD.jpeg
    147CB982-DF4D-47B5-A51E-6D8247C1ECBD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 0A78DA60-1602-44E8-BA25-4EE148941F67.jpeg
    0A78DA60-1602-44E8-BA25-4EE148941F67.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
Mine cost $7 Australian from Kmart. Strong denim type material. Still using it. Big enough for phone, wallet, passport, credentials, tissues and snacks.

Arc’teryx do excellent waist packs ... I also have an Osprey [very light but not so versatile] ... two sizes for the Arc’teryx and with some very clever features ... I use mine every day at home [quick shopping trips, to the PO et al] as well as on the chemin ...

€149,-
This is the exact one I use and abdolutely love it! See my comments on post #14. It comes in several colors. I chose basic gray.
This looks perfect, I would love to have the water bottle easily accessible like this. You didn’t have a problem with carrying too much weight in the front?

This looks perfect, I would love to have the water bottle easily accessible like this. You didn’t have a problem with carrying too much weight in the front?
No, I did not. I thought it worked well, although I chose a medium sized bottle, then carried an extra one in my side pouch and swapped them out later on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is my favorite, because of easy water bottle access while walking. The water bottle feature can be tucked in a tiny pocket if you don't need it. After 4 years of daily use for walking, and two Caminos, I've finally had to mend the mesh of the waterbottle pocket in a few places. I also use it for general travel in busy cities because of the security features.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TQTWGW/?tag=casaivar02-20
917URrpasXL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
It’s interesting innit. Trousers is trousers - waistband, crotch, rise & inside leg - “dress left or right sir?” is an irrelevant question on the distaff but otherwise fit is the only criteria. The Beloved has worn Columbia without complaint for years. “Cargo” pocket, two side pockets, two “safety” zipped pockets accessed via the side pockets, two buttoned “backside” pockets that remain accessible even with a backpack on. Waist sizing and welt width good enough to carry a 2 inch belt.
Although we are slowly passing through the era wherein outdoor outfitters figured that women’s clothing just needed to be smaller and pink I’d like to think that we’ve got past “does my bum look big in this?”. I’m ever so conscious that our anatomies are different (by the time you get to be a great grandfather you’ll have picked up hints) but they ain’t that different. Next time a clothing manufacturer assumes that you’re carrying a handbag try hitting them with it 😉

Ah… I think this is a YMMV. Many women find that if we buy men’s trouser that will fit over our hips that the gape several inches at the waist. Ask any tailor… they can take in *maybe* 1.5 inches at the most without distorting the garment.

Generally I hate hate hate trousers. No matter the cut, I feel like I am being sawn in half up the middle. Why? Because I have a very long hip relative to my body size… which means that to get something long enough from crotch to natural waist, the maker seems to think I should be about 3 sizes bigger than I am. And If I get something that fits hips and waist (in a women’s fit), I want to *scream* from the sense that I’m hitched into webbing and being hoisted to the sky.

It’s not *vanity* that makes us buy clothes cut for women. And even in “women’s fit” some of us would rather not wear trousers. I have *one* pair of cargo trousers that I can bear to wear… and they are a size too big for me so that I can avoid that awful feeling… but they do fall down unless I hitch my pack waist strap through a belt loop.

€60,-
here is a weblink for information on the Arc’teryx Mantis 2 waist pack : <https://arcteryx.com.au/products/mantis-2-waistpack?variant=31954268881009>

and the Mantis 1 which is smaller : <https://arcteryx.com.au/search?q=mantis 1 waistpack> but just as good

Bon chemin buen camino 👣👣👣

Would folks with a Camino Chrissy type anatomy (see post #68) have problems with an Aarn pack? I don't actually have that problem but my pacemaker has made me wary of anything that cuts into me. My wife has made me a special pad to go over that area.

€149,-
Can't beat Decathlon for things like this. I have 2 models, one for at home which is quite large and IMHO not needed when you use a backpack and a very small one which I recently bought and took on my recent Camino. Perfect size for your passport, credential, wallet, etc. It even fit a small reading book. Can't remember the price but it inexpensive and weights close to nothing.
Do you remember the model/brand or have a pic of new one that u r using?

here is a weblink for information on the Arc’teryx Mantis 2 waist pack : <https://arcteryx.com.au/products/mantis-2-waistpack?variant=31954268881009>

and the Mantis 1 which is smaller : <https://arcteryx.com.au/search?q=mantis 1 waistpack> but just as good

This is interesting! before this post i had no idea that some of these companies also describe these “waist packs” in liters too just like backpacks. I am seing now online some are 1lt, 1.5lt and 2 liters. Now i want to check in the shape how different they are and feel. And wondering if the 1 liter one fits everything. Will see if at rei they show me the difference .

I used a waist pack that was big enough to contain my phone, guidebook, some money and a small camera. It carried the items I wanted quick access to. I purchased it in a shop in St Jean Pied de Port. The brand is Deuter. I think they call it a hip bag. You can find it online. I also put it on before my back pack. It was very comfortable and very handy. I still use it at home. I kept my passport and credit cards in a small moneybelt around my waist and under my clothes.

Would folks with a Camino Chrissy type anatomy (see post #68) have problems with an Aarn pack? I don't actually have that problem but my pacemaker has made me wary of anything that cuts into me. My wife has made me a special pad to go over that area.
I found the front balance pockets hung looser off my chest - the weight of them is down on the waist belt. To boot there is little weight on the shoulders.

While I have seen pilgrims desperately sprinting backwards up the Camino trying to get back to the café where they left their waist pack on the hook in the bathroom, I have never seen a pilgrim furiously sprinting backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants. As such, I highly recommend that you place your cell phone, money, and passport in your pants pockets--preferably ones that have cargo pockets on the thighs.

While I have seen pilgrims desperately sprinting backwards up the Camino trying to get back to the café where they left their waist pack on the hook in the bathroom, I have never seen a pilgrim furiously sprinting backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants. As such, I highly recommend that you place your cell phone, money, and passport in your pants pockets--preferably ones that have cargo pockets on the thighs.
Just make sure that paper documents are in waterproof, and in the trouser pocket scenario, sweatproof, covers.
Personally I only saw people running back for phones or hats left on tables, though in one case for their rucksack.

they left their waist pack on the hook in the bathroom
Another reason to go with a cross body bag which just stays on no matter what you do. The whole point is to carry your valuables in a way that means they are always on your person! Even if that means pants pockets (which as mentioned, are not always plentiful or fit for purpose).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally I only saw people running back for phones or hats left on tables, though in one case for their rucksack.
I have had to run back for hiking poles a few times, and left my favorite cap on a restaurant table, noticed too late to bother to return to retrieve it.

On camino I use a small handbag (big enough for guidebook, camera, phone, sunglasses etc) that has metal 'D' rings where the strap connects and thread carabiners through these and then through the waist strap of my pack. Handy to have an ordinary hand bag for use for before and after camino travel that doesn't look so touristy😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tend remove more a crossbody bag while seating to eat in a restaurant than a “bum bag”. Left (two times) in Italy my handbag hanging to the side of chair i was seating. Got lucky to go back and still find it.
If you use a crossbody bag that's small enough you won't feel the need to remove it when dining in a restaurant.

….Left (two times) in Italy my handbag hanging to the side of chair i was seating.
Suggest it’s not a good idea to hang handbag to side of chair as it can easily be lifted (I’ve known it to happen). Much better to hang handbag off one’s knee, or put it on floor between one’s feet. Just saying …

I keep a carabineer on the straps of any packs/bags and attach them to a chair, nearby railing, or my belt/belt loop when dining or sitting outside in urban areas.

Last edited:
Pockets! An irksome issue as the disparity in men and women’s clothes is very wide.... even women’s pants made for hiking has noticeably smaller pockets, for example, I couldn’t fit my guidebook in the pocket I had, even after ripping out non essential pages. It’s BS. I would much prefer pockets, but women obviously aren’t as important, I mean we just have to carry a lipstick, right? Lol

Pockets! An irksome issue as the disparity in men and women’s clothes is very wide.... even women’s pants made for hiking has noticeably smaller pockets, for example, I couldn’t fit my guidebook in the pocket I had, even after ripping out non essential pages. It’s BS. I would much prefer pockets, but women obviously aren’t as important, I mean we just have to carry a lipstick, right? Lol
Strange post. Most modern fashion designers are female. Statistically women spend more on clothes than men. Given that female purchasing and design power in the fashion industry why are the clothes still being designed to carry lipstick. I use chapstick all the time and keep it in my medical kit on my shoulder strap.

Strange post. Most modern fashion designers are female. Statistically women spend more on clothes than men. Given that female purchasing and design power in the fashion industry why are the clothes still being designed to carry lipstick. I use chapstick all the time and keep it in my medical kit on my shoulder strap.
Perhaps we need to lighten up a bit here. I thought most of the post in question was tongue in cheek. Besides maybe many of the designers in the fashion industry are not outdoor people. I don’t care that most articles of women’s clothing don’t have pockets, functional or not, I just want my outdoor/hiking clothes to have pockets I can actually use.

Perhaps we need to lighten up a bit here. I thought most of the post in question was tongue in cheek. Besides maybe many of the designers in the fashion industry are not outdoor people. I don’t care that most articles of women’s clothing don’t have pockets, functional or not, I just want my outdoor/hiking clothes to have pockets I can actually use.
Sounds like an opening in the market for a keen entrepreneur

Well I added a “lol” to my post. (& “ designers” and “ off the rack” are two different animals. I have been known to sew pockets on pants but since my sewing skills are shite, I tend to just use my secondhand bag that can be adapted cross body or around waist. ( easier to keep valuables al, in one place too as when showering etc, emptying pockets to put them in something else etc is too easy to misplace etc.

You are certainly getting some great tips, but is there a chance you could shop locally and try some out? and help a local business? Good luck! And safe travel.

€149,-
Matador waist pack is what Ive been using for years. very light, excellent quality. Holds the essentials

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210703-095619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210703-095619_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 55
Better than a waist pack IMHO, consider a Z Packs Multi-Pack. This is made by a small business in Florida, USA.

I have owned two of them, and they are incredibly versatile. You can attach it to your waist, chest, belly, or your rucksack. It can be slung cross shoulder as a woman's purse or "man bag." The first bag has now become a ditty bag for inside my pack. It got worn and less waterproof after many uses and thousands of km.

The bag comes with straps allowing you to fit to any of these configurations. But, I always order an extra set of straps to provide ultimate flexibility.

This way, if I unclip to from the rucksack to use as a shoulder bag, I do not need to disconnect the mounting straps. I just connect the second strap.

I found that the ZPack straps and clips, combined with lightweight Nite-Ize carabiners or zip ties, I can mount this clever, lightweight and waterproof sack anywhere I choose.

My preferred carry location is as a "belly" bag when I am walking. I have it attached to ride above my waist but lower than my chest. Everything I need during the day is in there. I experimented with various carry options. This is the one that works best for me.

See first (left) attached photo, below.

I have also carried this bag in the 'sporran' position. This is the same as the 'belly carry' I prefer, but rides lower than my rucksack waist belt. It is only a question of making the upper straps that attache to the rucksack should harness longer. I prefer this in hot or humid weather.

See second (right) photo, below.

View attachment 103438View attachment 103442

I also carry a compressed, Sea-to-Summit 16 liter sling bag inside, for use shopping when I arrive in a town. See: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ultra-sil-sling-bag. Also available on Amazon. Colors change dynamically.

NB: Since these photos were taken in 2017, I recently lost 44 pounds (20 kg) as a result of a recent, very severe illness. So, the belly bag would not 'bounce' as much as it did.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I have one for my pack. Clipped to the shoulder straps, it rode about mid-chest, just below my sternum, and no bounce. Liked that I could unclip it and use it around town or just pitch it in a S2S sil-nylon backpack, same idea as your describe. Glad you're back from your illness. Stay well.

That is a very cleverly designed product. I almost want to have one, even though I don't need all those configurations. I use a cross-body bag (satchel style) that is a bit smaller, although it has taken experimentation with safety pins and carabiners to reduce bounce.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I also used this one - Arc'teryx Mantis and loved it. I now have both sizes. The Mantis 1 was too small for my CF as the guidebook doesn't fit along with the small camera, phone and glasses. I used the Mantis 2 on the C2C (Coast to Coast) in England and would use it on my next camino. It's a similar size to the ENGYEN pack in post #14. I carried my passport, bank cards, extra cash in a hidden money belt , and had plenty of room in the waist pack for guidebook, some cash, glasses, small camera, and phone that fits in a separate pocket on the back. In the evening, I changed it over to a cross body bag for going out to wander and eat. Everything went with me to the shower, and into my sleeping bag at night. The only thing it doesn't have is a water bottle holder but on the C2C I used a bladder in my backpack.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.