• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wait or start walking on 28th March 2018

Carol GD

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk Camino starting March 28th 2018
[Hello looking for some encouragement and advise. I am scheduled to start my Camino on March 28th 2018. I based my start date on input from others and did not research opening date of Napoleon route. The Pilgrim office is SJPP says the route now may not open until 15th April. I can not wait until then to start. I can wait until 4th April. So my questions are;

How likely is it that the route is not open until 15th April ?
If I decide to start on 28th March or 4th April will I be disappointed walking via Valcarlos?
Since the route is closed, is it better to go directly from Biarritz to Roncesvalles and start my Camino there?
Thank you in advance. Carol ]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Pilgrim Office knows best. I arrive on the 17th and plan on the Napoleon route but would have no problem taking the Valcarlos route if necessary. Having said that, many pilgrims start their Camino in Roncesvalles. This is my second Camino and I wouldn't miss St Jean Pied de Port.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Carol and others,
I am planning to walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona from Saturday 24th March. Do you know if this section is closed and where the Pilgrim Office posts this information?
Thanks, Eddie

Hello Carol and others,
I am planning to walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona from Saturday 24th March. Do you know if this section is closed and where the Pilgrim Office posts this information?
Thanks, Eddie
Hi Eddie , the Napoleon route is closed . You need to take the Valcarlos route .
Wish you well , Peter .

I walked the Valcarlos. It is still a walk that takes you over the Pyrenees (and through lovely forest). If you were to become tired, you'd have the option of sleeping over in Valcarlos, whereas you need to book months in advance to get in at Honto. Valcarlos offers babbling brooks, and magnificent rock faces, a proper place to get provisions at a grocery store in Valcarlos... and fewer people (though that may be less relevant on your intended departure date).
I wish people did not treat it as an inferior route. It is not. I like to remember that Napoleon was all about ego fulfillment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Carol and others,
Thanks, Eddie
Hi Eddie, I don't know the answer to this. I understand that the route over the mountains is closed but the rest of route is open. Let me know what you discover. Maybe see you on the Camino. Buen Camino.

The Pilgrim Office knows best. I arrive on the 17th and plan on the Napoleon route but would have no problem taking the Valcarlos route if necessary. Having said that, many pilgrims start their Camino in Roncesvalles. This is my second Camino and I wouldn't miss St Jean Pied de Port.
Buen Camino
Thank you John.

€46,-
I am always a little puzzled by aspirant pilgrims who cannot understand the simple phrase "the Route Napoleon is closed". How will they cope with "no defecar", or grasp that "Menu Peregrino €10" means that inedible muck is available, with wine, for €10.
And if one more 'peregrino' suggests or implies that the ancient and historic pilgrim way through Valcarlos is in some way inferior to that modernist concept that dear old 'Boney' never went near: well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs....
The purpose of the pilgrimage is to walk to Santiago. The route is an irrelevance (smiley added in case anyone thought Tink was in grumpy mode)

I am always a little puzzled by aspirant pilgrims who cannot understand the simple phrase "the Route Napoleon is closed". How will they cope with "no defecar", or grasp that "Menu Peregrino €10" means that inedible muck is available, with wine, for €10.
And if one more 'peregrino' suggests or implies that the ancient and historic pilgrim way through Valcarlos is in some way inferior to that modernist concept that dear old 'Boney' never went near: well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs....
The purpose of the pilgrimage is to walk to Santiago. The route is an irrelevance (smiley added in case anyone thought Tink was in grumpy mode)
[Tincatinker, thank you for taking the time to share your delightful and encouraging comments, if aspirant pilgrims can't ask questions then please explain the point of this forum]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[Tincatinker, thank you for taking the time to share your delightful and encouraging comments, if aspirant pilgrims can't ask questions then please explain the point of this forum]
I could refer you to Nilsonns "The Point", but that would betray both my age and my (alleged) lifestyle. My point is that there seems to be a growing tendency to keep asking the same question until someone provides the desired answer. This is not a criticism of individuals, scared, confused and bewildered I can handle: but determinatedly ignoring information and advice just reminds me of all those politicians I used to work with.
I just wish that people would take personal responsibility and do their own research rather than merely asking the void for an answer. And asking a bunch of strangers in the void does not constitute research.
I used to write tripe advertiser reviews for money ( I feel neither pride nor guilt for that.)
You will have a Camino. The rest is just stuff....

Maybe some visuals can help? :cool:

1. The path called Napoleon route is closed from 1 November until 31 March. That's November, December, January, February, March. All of it. Always. For every pilgrim. You run the risk of a heavy invoice for trespassing.

Closed.jpg

2. There is often snow on the ground in the mountains in winter. It may still be there when spring has arrived in the valley. Into April. Can be different from one year to the next. Locals who have vehicles to drive up and check will know what the conditions are like on the ground. This includes people at the pilgrims office. Ask them when you have arrived in SJPP. Even if there's brilliant sunshine all round, it may still not be advisable to walk the Napoleon route because of the conditions on the ground.

3. Do not walk the Napoleon route in bad weather. That's the red path. Use the green path via Valcarlos. Nobody knows for certain if there will be bad weather until 1 or 2 days beforehand. Two options: a. Consult the people in the SJPP pilgrims office. b. Learn to understand mountain weather forecasts.

BAD WEATHER.jpg

Last edited:
[The Pilgrim office is SJPP says the route now may not open until 15th April. ]

Where did they 'say' this Carol? I couldn't find anything on their website, or did you call them?
I'm just surprised that they try to forecast a month ahead.........

As others advise, early in the season, t's really just a case of turning up and finding out 'on the day'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[Hello looking for some encouragement and advise. I am scheduled to start my Camino on March 28th 2018. I based my start date on input from others and did not research opening date of Napoleon route. The Pilgrim office is SJPP says the route now may not open until 15th April. I can not wait until then to start. I can wait until 4th April. So my questions are;

If I decide to start on 28th March or 4th April will I be disappointed walking via Valcarlos?
Since the route is closed, is it better to go directly from Biarritz to Roncesvalles and start my Camino there?

Hi Carol and welcome to the Forum! As you have discovered, the Route Napoleon is officially closed until the 1st April, but if weather conditions are bad that opening may well be delayed. In fact this route is very weather-dependent all year, and even when it is "officially" open, there are times when the local police and Pilgrim's Office will advise people not to go that way - it can be dangerous in bad weather, and it is very changeable and hard to predict - long-term weather forecasts for mountain areas are notoriously unreliable! The Valcarlos route is also beautiful, with more woodland and also as others have pointed out, you have services about halfway at Valcarlos (and before that) which is also an overnight option if you want to start slow the first day. There are no services or water sources after Valcarlos until Roncesvalles.

Personally I'm a fan of Roncesvalles as a starting point - I started there for various reasons on my first Camino and found it such a special and spiritual place to begin in the early Spring with its cool and misty mornings, that I chose to start my second Camino there too, at a different time of year. But St Jean is a lovely little town too. If you decide to start there, plan to take the Valcarlos route (especially if you stick to your planned date of 28th March) but then if you delay until after the official 1st April opening date and the weather is good on the day (and the route closure hasn't been extended), you might decide to walk up and over the Napoleon Route instead. Look at it that way and then you can enjoy whatever route you take! (And the different humour you will find here on the Forum too...;))

Buen Camino Carol, whatever you decide!

Hi Eddie , the Napoleon route is closed . You need to take the Valcarlos route .
Wish you well , Peter .
Hi Peter and others,
Thanks very much for your help. There's a lot of information out there regarding the Camino(s) and it's great that you've confirmed I can still do my part of the Camino Francés . (It's interesting that, if you search on 'Napoleon and Valcarlos route', there is the answer in seconds).
Best wishes, Eddie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi carol. I’m starting the 28th as well. I’ve done the Napoleon route twice but I’ve heard the valcarlos is really nice as well. I’m actually excited the Napoleon is closed so I can try a different route. Take what the Camino gives. Not sure where I’m staying yet in sjpdp, but hope to see you out there. I’m 35 with blonde hair and will have a Patagonia hat on.

Where did they 'say' this Carol? I couldn't find anything on their website, or did you call them?
I'm just surprised that they try to forecast a month ahead.........

As others advise, early in the season, t's really just a case of turning up and finding out 'on the day'.
I spoke to them

Welcome, Carol!
Not at all. It is a really gorgeous walk, and the older, more 'authentic' Camino Frances route. Shirley Maclaine, Paolo Coelo, and Hollywood have all made the Napoleon route out to be the 'real' one, but that's just inaccurate hype. Hence these posts, which I have to say I agree with entirely:
I wish people did not treat it as an inferior route.

So I would concur with others who have said, 'No need to wait!' And if you do wait until after April 1, when you get to SJPP, the people at the Pilgrim's Office can advise you of the current conditions. The Napoleon may be open or not - at this point there is no way to know.

Whichever way you go, buen camino!
[Edited for spelling...]

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Carol GD and @Eddie_ you are both on your way. Just go pilgrims!

If you are walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles you will be walking over the mountains - regardless of whether it is via Valcarlos or what is called the Route Napoleon. The Valcarlos Route is the traditional and authentic route taken by pilgrims in medieval days and it is absolutely beautiful. I have walked both, and I now prefer the Valcarlos. And do not think it is easy - from SJPDP to Valcarlos is reasonably gentle, but the walk from there to Roncesvalles is very steep, just as steep as the other route. It may not go quite so high, but it compresses all the elevation into the last 12km. So when you reach Valcarlos, think about how you are feeling and unless you are feeling very confident, stay the night. And enjoy the great restaurant at the end of the village!

Welcome, Carol!
Not at all. It is a really gorgeous walk, and the older, more 'authentic' Camino Frances route. Shirley Maclaine, Paolo Coelo, and Hollywood have all made the Napoleon route out to be the 'real' one, but that's just inaccurate hype. Hence these posts, which I have to say I agree with entirely:

So I would concur with others who have said, 'No need to wait!' And if you do wait until after April 1, when you get to SJPP, the people at the Pilgrim's Office can advise you of the current conditions. The Napoleon may be open or not - at this point there is no way to know.

Whichever way you go, buen camino!
[Edited for spelling...]
Thank you for your helpful comments. I had decided to walk via Valcarlos. I am so looking forward to it. Your positive comments are much appreciated. I am reluctant to post any additional questions in fear of ridicule. I look forward to saying to others Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hello Carol
I am also starting on the 28th for the first time.
Shame the Napoleon route is closed but the Valcarlos route looks great.
Hope to see you on the trail
Suzi

I started my walk March 30, 3017. Napoleon route was closed and apparently opened three days after I left. You will bind the second half of the via Valcarlos route every bit as challenging. Just make sure you have water. I would suggest you don’t skip this first leg of the Camino just because the Napoleon route is closed. Via Valvarlos does has its own qualities, some picturesque photo opportunities, challenging uphill walk and just that satisfaction of completing day one. I found every leg of Camino Francais had its own uniqueness to it and am glad I walked every part of it. You won’t be disappointed if you walk SJPDP to Roncesvalles even if Napoleon rote closed and via Valcarlos is your alternate route. Buen Camino.

Thank you for your helpful comments. I had decided to walk via Valcarlos. I am so looking forward to it. Your positive comments are much appreciated. I am reluctant to post any additional questions in fear of ridicule. I look forward to saying to others Buen Camino.

Hi Carol. Please don't be reluctant to post questions here. Although I can see why you would be, I can guarantee that 99.9% of questions asked on this forum are responded to with encouragement and kindness.

Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Carol and welcome to the Forum! As you have discovered, the Route Napoleon is officially closed until the 1st April, but if weather conditions are bad that opening may well be delayed. In fact this route is very weather-dependent all year, and even when it is "officially" open, there are times when the local police and Pilgrim's Office will advise people not to go that way - it can be dangerous in bad weather, and it is very changeable and hard to predict - long-term weather forecasts for mountain areas are notoriously unreliable! The Valcarlos route is also beautiful, with more woodland and also as others have pointed out, you have services about halfway at Valcarlos (and before that) which is also an overnight option if you want to start slow the first day. There are no services or water sources after Valcarlos until Roncesvalles.

Personally I'm a fan of Roncesvalles as a starting point - I started there for various reasons on my first Camino and found it such a special and spiritual place to begin in the early Spring with its cool and misty mornings, that I chose to start my second Camino there too, at a different time of year. But St Jean is a lovely little town too. If you decide to start there, plan to take the Valcarlos route (especially if you stick to your planned date of 28th March) but then if you delay until after the official 1st April opening date and the weather is good on the day (and the route closure hasn't been extended), you might decide to walk up and over the Napoleon Route instead. Look at it that way and then you can enjoy whatever route you take! (And the different humour you will find here on the Forum too...;))

Buen Camino Carol, whatever you decide!
Thank you for talking the time to share so much. I am excited to begin on Wednesday.

Thank you for talking the time to share so much. I am excited to begin on Wednesday.
Hi Carol. Please don't be reluctant to post questions here. Although I can see why you would be, I can guarantee that 99.9% of questions asked on this forum are responded to with encouragement and kindness.

Buen Camino!!

Thank you for your positive comment. I am excited to begin on Wednesday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Carol
I am also starting on the 28th for the first time.
Shame the Napoleon route is closed but the Valcarlos route looks great.
Hope to see you on the trail
Suzi

Hi Suzi, I am flying in from London tomorrow evening and I'm excited to start walking on Wednesday. Yes hope to see you on the trail. Buen camino

Hi carol. I’m starting the 28th as well. I’ve done the Napoleon route twice but I’ve heard the valcarlos is really nice as well. I’m actually excited the Napoleon is closed so I can try a different route. Take what the Camino gives. Not sure where I’m staying yet in sjpdp, but hope to see you out there. I’m 35 with blonde hair and will have a Patagonia hat on.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Adam, thanks for message. I am too excited to be starting on Wednesday and look forward to meeting you on the trail. I'm flying in from London tomorrow. I'm about a good few years older, have a bright blue backpack and blondish hair. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back